We’re going to show that we, as a generation, are serious people.
人们说 “艾比 你担心
People say, “You know, Abbie, are you concerned
警♥察♥会过激吗”
about an overreaction from the cops?”
我已对警♥察♥下令射杀一切纵火犯
I issued a police order to shoot to kill any arsonists.
我们并不担心
We’re not concerned about it.
伊利诺伊州国民警卫队的四支部队 总共五千人
Four units of the Illinois National Guard, totaling 5,000 troops,
已被派往芝加哥
have been sent to Chicago.
我们求之不得呢
We’re countin’ on it!
“学生争取民♥主♥社会”全国组织
把战争带回国
芝加哥
8月26日至29日
我们要再强调一次
We wanna underscore again
我们要和平地前往芝加哥
that we’re coming to Chicago peacefully,
但无论允许与否 我们一定要去
but whether we’re given permits or not, we’re coming.
增派了一万名芝加哥警♥察♥ 包括防暴警♥察♥
An additional 10,000 Chicago police officers, including riot squads…
1968年民♥主♥党全国代♥表♥大♥会♥
我们不会用坦克或催泪瓦斯袭击大会
We’re not going to storm the convention with tanks or mace,
但我们会袭击美国民众的心灵
but we are going to storm the hearts and minds of the American people.
这些人是革命者
These people are revolutionaries
致力于摧毁
bent on the destruction of the government
美国政♥府♥
of the United States of America.
民♥主♥党全国代♥表♥大♥会♥将在一个警♥察♥国家召开
The Democratic Convention is about to begin in a police state.
只能这么描述这件事
There just doesn’t seem to be any other way to say it.
芝加哥七君子审判
美国司法部
代♥表♥大♥会♥五个月后
托马斯·弗兰 理查德·舒尔茨
联邦检察官
你们正赶上见证历史时刻
You’ve arrived at a moment in history.
-什么 -他们在换照片
– Pardon? – They’re changing the picture.
-汤姆 -霍华德
– Tom. – Howard.
-旅途顺利吗 -挺好
– Flew in all right? – Sure.
-理查德·舒尔茨 -是我 先生
– Richard Schultz? – Yes, sir.
我是霍华德·阿克曼 司法部长特别顾问
Howard Ackerman, Special Advisor to the Attorney General.
-幸会 -有人跟你说为什么找你吗
– Pleased to meet you. – Anyone tell you what this is about?
没有 先生 只让我今早去奥黑尔机场找弗兰先生
No, sir. Just to meet Mr. Foran at O’Hare this morning,
-我们要一起飞来华盛顿 见米歇尔先生 -好
– we’d fly to Washington. We’d be meeting Mr. Mitchell. – Good.
终于把那破照片换掉了 进来吧
Finally changing that goddamn picture. Come on in.
出于礼貌和传统
As a matter of courtesy and tradition,
当选出新总统时
when we elect a new president,
即将卸任的内阁成员会辞职
the outgoing cabinet members resign
不用新总统开除他们 免得尴尬
to spare the new president the unpleasantness of firing ’em.
理查德 你知道尼克松总统什么时候
Richard, do you know when President Nixon
才收到拉姆塞·克拉克的正式辞职信吗
received Ramsey Clark’s formal letter of resignation?
-不知道 先生 -在我的任命一小时前
– No, sir. – About an hour before my confirmation.
这是故意让我难堪
That was to embarrass me.
我倒觉得拉姆塞·克拉克是自取其辱
I don’t know, I think it was more embarrassing for Ramsey Clark.
我是约翰·米歇尔
I’m John Mitchell.
我是托马斯·弗兰 司法部长先生 这是理查德·舒尔茨
Thomas Foran, Mr. Attorney General, and this is Richard Schultz.
理查德 芝加哥那事是我这辈子
Richard, Chicago is more fucked up than
见过最混乱的情况
any ten things I’ve ever seen in my life.
-您说的是 -代♥表♥大♥会♥ 暴♥乱♥
– Sir? – The convention, the riots.
-是的 先生 -坐吧
– Yes, sir. – Sit.
-尊尼获加威士忌可以吗 -可以 谢谢
– Johnnie Walker okay with everybody? – Yes, thank you.
-理查德呢 -我不用了 谢谢
– Richard? – Nothing for me, thank you.
我们不知道汉弗莱的人能蠢到这种地步
We don’t know how Humphrey’s people could have been that stupid.
让他们的人在武装警卫的保护下被提名
Allow their guy to be nominated under armed guard.
-先生 -孩子 你紧张吗
– Sir? – Son, are you nervous?
-不 先生 -为什么不
– No, sir. – Why the fuck not?
我在开玩笑 别相信那些有关我的传言
I’m kidding. Don’t believe everything you’ve heard about me.
拉姆塞·克拉克在离任时羞辱了我
Ramsey Clark gave me the finger on the way out the door.
我想问的是你们觉得芝加哥那事
I’m asking if you think Chicago
是汉弗莱在大选中失利的原因吗
was why Humphrey lost the election.
不 先生 共和党的候选人更优秀
No, sir. The Republicans ran a better candidate.
-说得太对了 -戴利也没帮上他的政党
– That’s for damn sure. – Daley didn’t help his party either,
但汉弗莱的人和戴利没有违反法律
but Humphrey’s people and Daley didn’t break the law,
所以这事不归我们管
so that’s somebody else’s table.
事实上 我们认为
As a matter of fact, we don’t believe
去年夏天没有人违反联邦法律
any federal laws were broken last summer.
弗兰先生让我们的人进行了深入的调查
Mr. Foran had our office run a thorough investigation.
存在非法侵入
There was trespassing,
以及破坏公共财产 下流行为
and destruction of public property, lewd behavior.
应该没有什么能上升到…
I suppose nothing that would rise to the level…
你觉得你和你的上司被叫来司法部长办公室
You think you and your boss are in the attorney general’s office
是因为我想让你
because I want you to seek an indictment
起诉犯下联邦侵入罪的人吗
for violating a federal trespassing law?
我们办事处没有听说司法部
Our office wasn’t aware that the Justice Department
打算起诉任何人
wanted to seek any indictments at all.
-我们要起诉 -拉姆塞·克拉克坚决反对…
– We do. – Ramsey Clark was dead set against…
拉姆塞·克拉克已经不是司法部长了
Ramsey Clark doesn’t run the Justice Department anymore,
你听说这事了吗
did you hear about that?
-约翰逊先生也回德克萨斯州老家了 -是的 先生
– And Mr. Johnson’s back home in Texas. – Of course, sir.
在我的任命听证会举结束前一小时
One hour before my confirmation hearing gaveled,
他才辞职 真是混♥蛋♥
that’s when he resigned. What a prick!
确实有违职业道德 先生
That’s unprofessional, sir.
有违职业道德 那叫不爱国 还有
Unprofessional? It was unpatriotic. I’ll tell you what else.
很不礼貌 这世上还是有礼貌这回事的
It was impolite. There’s such a thing as manners.
我想找回礼貌
I want to bring back manners.
你觉得怎么样 那才是我小时候的美国
How about that? The America I grew up in.
你愿意帮我吗 舒尔茨先生
Will you help me, Mr. Schultz?
因为我问弗兰先生
‘Cause I asked Mr. Foran
谁是他手下最优秀的检察官
who was the best prosecutor in his office.
-他说是你 -谢谢
– He said you. – Thank you.
法典第18卷第2101节
Section 2101 of Title 18.
他们违反的就是这一条联邦法
That’s the federal law that was broken.
《1968年民权法》
是《瑞普·布朗法》That’s the Rap Brown Law.
跨越州界煽动暴♥力♥
In conspiracy to cross state lines in order to incite violence.
最高判十年 我们希望判足十年
Comes with a maximum of ten years. We want all ten.
-给谁判十年 -全明星队
– For whom, sir? – The all-star team.
艾比·霍夫曼 汤姆·海登 杰瑞·鲁宾
“Abbie Hoffman, Tom Hayden, Jerry Rubin,
大卫·戴林格 伦尼·戴维斯
David Dellinger, Rennie Davis,
李·维纳 约翰·佛罗因斯…以及鲍比·西尔
Lee Weiner, John Froines… and Bobby Seale?”
我管他们叫男学生 用这个词
I call ’em the school boys, and when I do,
大家都知道我说的是谁
everyone here knows who I’m talking about.
任性又危险
Petulant and dangerous.
十年间 我们眼看着这些叛乱者不工作
And we watched for a decade while these rebels without a job,
不愿亲自上阵杀敌
who never bother to get their hands dirty fighting the enemy,
却教我们如何打仗
tell us how to prosecute a war.
这十年结束了 成年人回来了
The decade’s over, the grown-ups are back,
我认为这些卑鄙的娘娘腔
and I deem these shitty little fairies
是对国♥家♥安♥全♥的威胁
to be a threat to national security.
他们的三十几岁要在联邦监狱里度过了
So they’re gonna spend their thirties in a federal facility.
-实打实的 -你是首席检察官 理查德
– Real-time. – You’re lead prosecutor, Richard.
你明白我为什么到这里之前不能告诉你了吧
You understand why I couldn’t tell you until we got here?
明白 先生
Sure. Of course, sir.
理查德 这是给你的任务 你能胜任吗
Richard, you’re being handed the ball. Are you ready for this?
你雇我是为了听我的看法
You pay me for my opinion.
-什么 -我说你雇我是为了听我的看法
– What? – I said, sir, you pay me for my opinion.
你从哪学的 在学校吗 我雇你是为了让你赢
Where’d you learn that? In class? I pay you to win.
我不确定能对共谋罪提出证据充分的起诉 先生
I’m not sure we can get a good indictment on conspiracy, sir.
-为什么 -首先
– Why not? – For one thing,
其中有些人根本没见过面
some of these people have never met each other.
可以打电♥话♥啊
Telephones.
司法部长先生 《瑞普·布朗法》
Mr. Attorney General, the Rap Brown Law
是由南方白人在国会立下的
was created by Southern whites in Congress
旨在限制黑人活动家的言论自♥由♥
to limit the free speech of Black activists.
-民权运动家… -我知道为什么会通过这部法案
– Civil rights activists… – I know why it was passed.
怎么轮到他来教我…
Why the fuck is he teaching…
它为什么被通过不重要 重要的是它能干什么
It doesn’t matter why it was passed. It matters what it can do.
我们不确定它能干什么
We’re not sure what it can do.
因为之前没人被指控违反这部法案
‘Cause no one’s ever been charged with it before.
所以这才如此令人兴奋
Well, that makes it so exciting.
就像是处♥女♥地 未开♥发♥的地♥产♥
It’s like virgin land. Undeveloped real estate.
-这是部法案 他们违反了 -是的 先生
– It’s a law and they broke it. – Of course, sir.
-有问题吗 -没有 先生