汤姆
Tom.
他们来就是要告诉我
That’s what those two men came to tell me,
如果约翰·米歇尔想干掉我
that if John Mitchell wants to cut me in half,
他绝对说到做到
he can and he will.
所以我想当着他们的面说
So I wanted them in the room when I said,
什么时候需要我出庭
“When do you want me in court?”
克拉克先生
Mr. Clark?
你说什么
I’m sorry?
让我作证吧 比尔
Swear me in, Bill.
你作证是违法的
It is against the law for you to testify,
拉姆塞 就这么简单
Ramsey. It is as simple as that.
叫我克拉克部长
It’s General Clark.
要么逮捕我 要么闭嘴
And arrest me or shut the fuck up.
鼓起勇气了
Found some.
法官大人 检方申请驳回此证人
Your Honor, the People move to disallow this witness.
我想这对辩方而言是意料之中
I’m sure the defense anticipated that.
审判第104天
联邦法规规定
Code of federal regulations mandates that
未经司法部长批准
the disclosure of Justice Department materials
禁止公开有关司法部的材料
is prohibited without prior knowledge of the attorney general,
简单来讲 在任的司法部长
plainly meaning the sitting attorney general,
也就是约翰·米歇尔 已驳回了他的请求
who is John Mitchell, who has specifically denied his approval.
法官大人 这条法规只针对
Judge, the rule refers only to
特定的文件和信息
very specific documents and information.
如果这条法规按照
If the regulation were interpreted
舒尔茨先生的说法来理解
as Mr. Schultz is asking it to be,
那所有曾任职于联邦政♥府♥的人
nobody in the federal government
永远不能在任何审判中作证
could ever testify in any trial after they left their job.
我认为政♥府♥可以合理要求辩方
I think the government is at least justified
通过预先审查的方式
in asking the defense to demonstrate, by voir dire,
阐明他们想从证人那里获取的证词
the testimony it expects to elicit from the witness.
你想让我们在陪审团不在场时
You’d like us to question the witness, this witness,
盘问此证人吗
outside the presence of the jury?
如果我认为证词与本案相关
If I find any of the testimony relevant,
我会叫陪审团进来听取证词
I’ll call the jury back in to hear it.
你看着办 孔斯特勒先生
Take it or leave it, Mr. Kunstler.
辩方传唤拉姆塞·克拉克
Defense calls Ramsey Clark.
请报上你的名字
State your name.
威廉·拉姆塞·克拉克
William Ramsey Clark.
你是否发誓 你所作证词均为事实
Do you swear the testimony you give will be the truth,
无所隐瞒 并无虚言
the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
我发誓
I do.
克拉克先生 1968年夏天你所任何职
Mr. Clark, what was your occupation in the summer of 1968?
我当时担任美国司法部长一职
I was the attorney general of the United States.
-你是约翰逊总统任命的 -是的
– You were appointed by President Johnson? – Yes.
-也得到了美国参议院的批准 -是的
– And confirmed by the United States Senate? -Yes.
去年9月10日上午11点50分
Now, did you receive a phone call at your office at 11:50 a.m.,
你是否在办公室接过一通电♥话♥
on September 10th of last year?
是的
Yes.
-请问电♥话♥是谁打来的 -约翰逊总统
– And from whom was that call? – President Johnson.
你能复述一下
Will you state what President Johnson
你和约翰逊总统之间的对话吗
said to you and what was said to him?
法官大人 我们要在此反对
Your Honor, at this point, we will object.
内阁成员没有义务
A cabinet officer does not have to,
也不应当复述他和总统的
and should not have to relate the contents
私人通话中所谈的内容
of a private call he had with the president.
反对有效
I’ll sustain the objection.
庭上 这只是预审
Please, the court… This is voir dire.
我以为预审没有反对一说
I thought objections were reserved.
这涉及到了律师-当事人保密特权
There’s a question of attorney-client privilege to consider.
总统不是司法部长的当事人
The president isn’t a client of the attorney general.
你说什么 先生
Excuse me, sir?
总统不是司法部长的当事人
The president isn’t a client of the attorney general.
我很乐意回答
I’m happy to answer.
法官大人
Your Honor…
在此种情况下听取证词是极不合常规的
Hearing from the witness on this point is highly irregular.
先生们
Well, gentlemen,
这是我的法庭
This is my courtroom.
可证人是前…
But the witness is the former, uh…
他阐明了自己回答问题的意愿
He’s just stated his willingness, you know,
因此 为了预审考量 我想听听他的回答
so, for the purposes of voir dire, I’ll hear the answer.
谢谢
Thank you.
克拉克先生 约翰逊总统是否
Mr. Clark, uh, did President Johnson
在通话中问了你一个问题
ask you a question in that phone call?
总统问我是否打算
The president asked me if I intended to seek any indictments
就上个月芝加哥发生的暴♥乱♥提起诉讼
related to the riots the previous month in Chicago.
你是如何回答的
And what did you tell him?
我说我们不会起诉
I told him we wouldn’t be seeking indictments.
你能告诉我们原因吗
And can you tell us why?
我们刑事部门的调查得出的结论是
An investigation by our criminal division led to the conclusion
暴♥乱♥是由芝加哥警署先挑起的
that the riots were started by the Chicago Police Department.
克拉克先生 你的反情报部门
And, Mr. Clark, did your counterintelligence division
是否也得出了同一结论
make a report as well?
他们得出的结论是 被告人并未共谋
They concluded that there was no conspiracy by the defendants
在大会期间煽动暴♥力♥
to incite violence during the convention.
同年11月的第一个周二
And then what happened on the first Tuesday,
在周一之后 发生了什么
after the first Monday, in November of that year?
-理查德·尼克松当选总统 -反对有效
– Richard Nixon was elected president. – Sustained.
-没人反对 -我们反对
– Nobody objected… – We do.
众所周知 该证人和现任司法部长之间
It’s well-known there’s no love lost between the witness
早有嫌隙
and the sitting attorney general.
传唤该证人来此是为进行政♥治♥攻击
This witness has been called to wage a political attack
因此不该让他出现在陪审团面前
and should not be allowed to appear before the jury.
孔斯特勒先生
Mr. Kunstler.
法官大人 你不会真的考虑
Your Honor, you cannot possibly be considering
不让陪审团听听我们刚才所听到的证词吧
not allowing the jury to hear what we’ve just heard?
该证人无法向陪审团提供
The witness can’t present to them testimony
有助于他们
that would assist in making
判定被告有罪与否的证词
a determination of guilt or innocence.
他刚刚才说他自己的司法部得出了结论…
He just testified his own Justice Department came to the conclusion…
现在的司法部
The current Justice Department,
才是管事的 而他们得出了新的结论
the one that matters, came to a new conclusion.
因此 检方的动机
Therefore, motivation of the prosecution
非常值得怀疑
has to be called into question.
检方的动机并不是审判的问题关键
The motivation of the prosecution is not an issue in a courtroom.
我打过那么多官司 唯有这场审判成问题
In any courtroom I’ve ever been in, except this one.
反对
Object.
孔斯特勒先生 你接下来的询问
Mr. Kunstler, do you have any further examination
是否可以证明此证人
that will demonstrate that this witness
能对本案作出重大贡献
will make a material contribution,
还是我该直接让他退席
or should I just ask him to step down?
你已经做了裁决
You’ve ruled.
你不会让陪审团听到他的证词
You’re not gonna let the jury hear his testimony.
除非你能向我证明有这个必要
Not unless you can demonstrate to me,
而目前你并未证明此证人…
which you have not thus far done, that this witness…
你打字水平怎么样
Are you any good?
-你是在跟法庭书♥记♥员说话吗 -跟上我
– Are you addressing the court reporter? – Keep up with us.
孔斯特勒先生…
Mr. Kunstler…
这项指控是否出于政♥治♥动机
Is this prosecution politically motivated?
-反对 -是的
– Object! – Yes.
尼克松总统接手了一场不得人心的战争
President Nixon inherited an unpopular war.
-是的 -请退席 克拉克先生
– Yes. – Step down, Mr. Clark.
而你的当事人让大家愈发质疑这场战争
And your clients make it more unpopular every day.
本届政♥府♥视”学生争取民♥主♥社会”组织
This administration is paranoid about the SDS,
结束越战动员会和新左派如洪水猛兽
the Mobe, the New Left…
克拉克先生 请退席
Mr. Clark, please.
请退席吧 先生 否则我只能判你蔑视法庭
Please, sir. I will be forced to find you in contempt.
你明白吗
Do you understand?
明白 法官大人
I do, Your Honor.
那就退席吧
Then step down, please.
谢谢你 先生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!