是的 他向车子走去
Yeah, he was up to the car.
他接近车子的时候我正好路过
As we was coming by he had to have been up to the car.
我没有看见子弹 没看见枪火
I didn’t see no bullet. I didn’t see no gunfire.
因为我已经开过了
Because I went on.
现在有3个人指证了他
We have three people that testified and identified him…
当警♥察♥走到车边
positively as being the driver at the time that Wood was walking…
肯定是他开的车
right beside the car.
因此 根据目击者 我们知道他就是司机
So we know that he was the driver from the witnesses…
我们也知道
and we also know…
是司机向警官开的枪
that it was the driver that shot Officer Wood…
这是他的搭档亲眼所见
coming from his partner.
我们不是凭空捏造
We couldn’t have made a case…
因为有了群众举报
with the voluntary statement that we got from Adams.
我们要相信目击者
We had to rely on witnesses.
我们也是这么做的
And this is what we did.
我总是很努力 每个法官都知道
I always tried very hard, every judge I know of does…
不能在法庭动感情
to not show emotion on the bench.
原因是 如果你感情用事
The reason, if you do show emotion…
审理就会倾向一边
the jury might take it that you’re favoring one side or another.
因此你要试着保持被动 无情 客观
So you try to remain passive, emotionless, objective.
我不得不承认 在亚当斯这个案子里
I do have to admit that in the Adams case…
我真的从没说过
and I’ve never really said this…
我以前听过道格 穆德最后的辩论
Doug Mulder’s final argument was one I’d never heard before.
关于警♥察♥的 蓝蓝的细线
About the “thin blue line” of police…
使群众远离乱世
that separated the public from anarchy.
我承认当我听倒这件事的时候
I have to concede that there my eyes kind of welled up…
我流泪了
when I heard that.
这曾让我情绪化 但我没有表现出来
It did get to me emotionally, but I don’t think I showed it.
要判死刑的案子
In death penalty cases…
我们得搞清楚一个问题
we have a question, or we did at the time…
那个人是否有严重的精神问题
of whether or not that person is of a dangerous mentality…
有可能犯其他的案子
and might be expected to commit other crimes.
要回答这个问题
To answer that question…
地方法♥院♥律师会为被告方派精神病学家
the Dallas District Attorney sends psychiatrists to the defendant’s cell…
检查他是否没有懊悔之心
to discover whether he is without remorse…
有没有危险的精神问题
and therefore is a dangerous and psychopathic personality.
当然 从例证来看
Of course, in the instance of a person…
没有犯罪的嫌犯是没有后悔之意的
who did not commit the crime, they’re not going to show remorse.
两个精神病学家轮番上阵
There were two psychiatrists that appeared again and again.
Holbrook和格里格森出现时 杀手都会恐惧
Holbrook and Grigson, the “Killer Shrinks.”
但对这两人的批评一直不断
There was certain criticism directed against these two people…
因为 只要他们一出现 就意味着
because, in effect, whenever they showed up, the purpose of their visit…
被告的死亡
was to kill the defendant.
四月15号♥ 是缴税日
It was April 15th, tax day.
我想是时候把我的税缴清了
I think I was filling out my taxes at the time.
我怕迟到了
Afraid I might be late.
守卫朝门口走来
A guard walks up to the door…
对我说 外面有人想和你谈话
tells me, “There’s someone out here who wants to talk to you.”
我问他是谁 他说他也不知道
I ask him who it was. He said he didn’t know…
法庭命令我和他谈 我说 好吧
but the court ordered me to talk to him. I said, “All right.”
那走过来一个鸵鸟样的高个男子
And here come this real tall, ostrich-looking dude.
他自称是格里格森博士
He introduced himself as Dr. Grigson.
他从衣服袋里拿出一本记事簿
He pulled a pad out of his coat pocket…
上面画着一条直线
that had a line drawn across it.
记事簿的上半部分
On this pad, on the upper half…
他画着6个图
he had six images.
分别是盒子 方块 圆圈等 里面画了颗钻石
I will say a box, a square, a circle with a diamond in it.
我有点忘了…这有一段时间了
I don’t… It’s been awhile.
他把那张纸滑给我 又给我一支铅笔
He slides this piece of paper across to me and he hands me a pencil.
他说 我去喝杯咖啡
He says, “I’m going to get a cup of coffee.
模仿纸上的图案再画一份
“Please copy what’s on this piece of paper.”
我看着这个人
I’m looking at this man.
我说 什么 要让我模仿你画的东西
I said, “What? You want it copied just the same way you did?
你还是要让我改啊 想让我♥干♥什么
“Or you want me to change them around? What do you want me to do?”
做你想做的就行
He said, “Just do whatever you think you want to do.”
说完他就走了
And he left.
于是呢 在纸的后半部分
So on the bottom half of this piece of paper…
我画了盒子 X 零
I made my boxes and X’s…
里面都画上钻石 就像他的一样
and zeros with diamonds in it. Exactly like his.
他问我
He asked me…
请问 滚石不生苔是什么意思
“What’s the meaning of ‘A rolling stone gathers no moss?”‘
我看着这个人
I’m looking at this man.
我说 你开什么玩笑 想干什么
I said, “Are you kidding? Is this a joke? What are you doing?”
他说 不是玩笑 我真的听听你的回答
He said, “No, I really want to know your answer to that question.”
我说 嗯 滚石不生苔
I said, well, “A rolling stone gathers no moss.”
我想…
I said, “To me…
表示一个人很躁动
“it would represent that a person that doesn’t stand still long enough…
不能给别人依靠
“it’s kind of hard for people to cling to him.
如果他不停 就很难接近他
“If he keeps moving around, it’s hard to get close to him.”
他摇了摇头
He shook his head.
他说 二鸟在林 不如一鸟在手 又表示什么
He said, “What about ‘A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”‘?
我说 如果你拥有什么 何不放弃他
I said, “If you have a hold of something, why give it up…
这样有机会拿别的不是更好
“for a chance of getting something that might be a little better?
这没有意义啊 你已经有了好东西了
“It doesn’t make sense. You’ve got something good,
为什么丢弃它呢
why let go of it?
如果你能得到另外一个 那就去拿吧…
“If you can get the other one, get it if you can…
只要你拿别的东西的时候不丢弃手中的东西
“but don’t let go of what you got to try to get something else.”
他又问了我的家庭
He asked about my family.
问了问我的背景
He asked about my background.
然后他就走了
And he left.
我们大概谈了15或者20分钟
Total time we had talked, maybe 15, 20 minutes.
格里格森博士在测试如果罪犯被释放的话
Dr. Grigson was up there testifying he would commit violent crimes…
是否还会犯罪
in the future if he was released.
格里格森被称为死亡博士 因为他就是那么测试的
Grigson is known as “Dr. Death” because he always testifies that way.
99%的案件
In about 99% of the trials…
他总做证人 因为他有测试报告表明
that he’s been a witness for the prosecution, he always testifies…
他们在未来的生活中还会不会犯罪
that they will commit violent crimes in the future.
你无法知道一个人在未来几年会做什么
You can’t tell what somebody’s gonna do years from now.
其实也并不是这样的
Not really.
只要分♥析♥你过去的不良记录
Except based on your past record, which anybody can do.
兰德尔是没有任何不良记录的
Randall never had any prior record.
据我们所知 他从没有任何暴♥力♥的历史
And as far as we know, he never had any history of violence whatever.
格里格森已测试了
Grigson testified for…
两个小时 用了他所有的办法
two and a half hours about all these degrees he’s got.
他一会来这 一会又去那 研究不停
He’s been here, and he’s been there, and he’s studied here.
他叫我查尔斯 曼森
He called me Charlie Manson.
他叫我阿道夫 希♥特♥勒♥
He called me Adolf Hitler.
他说我的性格就是这样的
He said I’m the type of personality…
可以不停地工作
that can work all day and creep all night.
他测试了 格里格森…格里格森
He testified, Grigson…
他测试我未来的
that the future seriousness…
精神状况
of my mental state…
是否到了可以释放我的程度
would be such that if they released me…
我疯了可能就会杀了达拉斯一半的人
I would go crazy and probably butcher half of Dallas County.
尽管他和我谈了15分钟
Even though he talked to me 15 minutes…
我没有前科
I have no prior convictions, no prior arrests…
28年了 我都没动过手
I was nonviolent for 28 years.
一个例子
On one instance…
也没有
and that’s saying if I did this, which I didn’t…
他说 这就够了 下半辈子他都会盯着我
he’s stating that, that’s enough… For the rest of my life, watch me.
别背着我做什么 我和他谈了15分钟
Don’t ever turn your back on me. And he talked to me 15 minutes.
他疯了
He’s crazy.
你知道 一个人为了生计
You can understand why a man might steal if he needs money…
可能去偷窃
to put food on the table.
我明白为什么17岁的男孩子如果没车开
I can understand why a 17-year-old boy who doesn’t have a car…
会去偷一辆
would steal one to ride around in.
我也明白为什么吸毒上瘾的还想要毒品
I can understand why the heroin addict needs heroin.
但是一个人在无缘无故的情况下去杀♥警♥♥察♥
But it’s very hard to understand why anybody has to kill a police officer.
令人费解
It just doesn’t have to be.
我睡觉时 闭上眼就想
When I’m asleep and I close my eyes and think…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!