我和丈夫都在加油站工作
I was working at a gas station. My husband and I both.
我们不是处得很好
We weren’t getting along well at all.
总是吵来吵去
We were arguing back and forth.
我们都不想回家 都宁愿在汽车里吵
We didn’t wanna go home, because we’d rather talk it out in the car…
这总比在家对着孩子们吵要好
than go home with the kids and fight.
因为那还要听听他们的感受
Had to listen to them, too.
我们在吵的时候决定去吃些东西
So we were really arguing, and decided to get something to eat.
就在那时 一个警♥察♥从饭店出来
About that time, a police came out of a restaurant…
走在马路的右边
on the right hand side of the road…
他过去让车停下
and he went to pull the man over.
她转身了 仔细地看着
She turned around. She was looking hard. She looked.
我不认为她看清楚那人了 但她看到了
I didn’t think she seen the guy, but she did.
因为我问她 你在看什么 我察觉有什么不对劲
Because I said, “What you looking at?” I knew something had went wrong.
她说 闭上你地嘴 往前开
She said, “You just shut up and drive.”
我对我丈夫说 开慢点 这样我能看清楚
And I kept telling my husband: “Slow down so I can see.”
他说 别看了 我们离开这
He said, “Come on, we’re getting out of here.
就你好管闲事 你还不知道发生了什么
“You’re too nosy. You don’t even know what’s going on.”
我不知道有人被杀了或是中弹了
I had no idea that somebody was gonna get killed or shot.
我继续往前开
So I just drove on.
他是哪种不喜欢惹事的人
He was one of these kind that didn’t like getting involved.
他想往前走 让我闭嘴 转过身去不看
He wanted to go on. He told me to shut up and turn around. Don’t look.
我转身了
I turned around and looked anyway.
但我们听到了一些声音 像是枪声
So we heard something, like backfire or firecrackers.
我们开过了桥 我想
And so we drove over the bridge, and I got to thinking.
这个时候怎么会有人开枪呢
I said: “Em, there’re no firecrackers this time of the year.”
我想着
I was thinking to myself:
那不可能是枪声
“That couldn’t be somebody shooting.”
真的很黑 而且很冷
It was real dark, and it was cold.
很难看清楚车子里有什么
It was hard to see in that car.
可司机的窗子是开的
But his window was down. The driver’s window was down.
这样我就可以看得很清楚
This is how I got such a good look.
里面的东西我还是看不清
I really couldn’t see anything inside.
窗上映出一个影子
It was kind of… shadows on the window and stuff.
可当他拉下车窗的时候 他的脸就露了出来
But when he rolled down the window, what made his face stand out so.
车子是深蓝色的
The car was dark blue.
他有胡子
He had a beard, mustache…
那种洗碗水一般的棕色头发
kind of dishwater-blond hair.
但是 我说过 他在法庭上的时候 太不一样了
But, like I said, when he was in court, he sure looked a lot different.
我只能分辩这些
All I could just tell by this and this, that it was him.
我知道那有人开枪
I knew that there was some shots over there.
我才不想被卷入此事
But I didn’t want to be involved in it…
因为达拉斯西部是刑事案件高发地带
because West Dallas is a high-crime neighborhood.
是最高的之一了
One of the biggest.
他比我要害怕的多
He was more scared of it than I was.
像那样的黑人
But when you have black people like that…
他们不想与世隔绝
they don’t like getting involved in nothing.
这很平常
That’s just common.
在这 谁都想知道些什么
Like here, nobody wants to see nothing or hear nothing.
他们会呆在别人不注意的地方
And they’ll stay completely in the background.
这就是为什么他们在这那么难的原因
That’s why they were having such a hard time there…
找一些自告奋勇的人
finding anybody that would come forward.
因为这是完全的黑人领域
Because it was in a totally black neighborhood.
她认为 看见别人做坏事就得举报
She believe in, see somebody done something wrong she should tell it.
她已经把我告发了
‘Cause she told on me…
好几次
a couple of times…
因为我在从埃尔帕尔索偷运毒品
that I was hauling drugs out of El Paso.
把警长叫来打开我的车厢
Called the sheriff down there, going to make me open my trunk.
我只好打开 可什么也没有
So I ended up opening it, but there was nothing in it.
天哪
Good grief.
她呀 只要发现你做错了什么 就把你出♥卖♥♥♥了
She’s a ho, but she find out you done something, she turn you in.
米勒夫人在审讯时做证
Mrs. Miller had testified at the trial…
她很早就从加油站离开了
that she had gotten off early from her gas station job…
去接她的丈夫 给他的记录工作帮帮忙
and gone down to pick up her husband to help him with the bookwork.
我们发现她在站里没做任何记录工作
We found out that she was not doing any bookkeeping for that station…
因为两周前 她已经被炒掉了
because she had been fired from her job two weeks earlier…
因为偷钱 盗窃之类的事
for till-tapping, for stealing.
他们找警♥察♥谈话的原因是
The reason that they were talking to the police at all…
他们已经在公♥寓♥里大打出手三天了
was that there’d been a three-day running knife fight in their apartment.
他们都被登记过
And they were all booked…
因为酒后撒野
for disorderly and drunk behavior in there…
包括用拿刀砍人 还有别的事
including assault with knives, and all kinds of stuff.
当他们在警♥察♥局的时候决定主动提供
When they were at the police station, they suddenly decided to volunteer…
他们看到的
all this information about what they had seen…
关于警♥察♥被杀一案的信息
about the police officer’s killing.
一个妇女打电♥话♥给我
A woman called me at my home…
说她知道这个女人
and said that she knew this woman…
这个指证兰德尔 亚当斯的女人
who had testified and identified Randall Adams from a passing vehicle.
这女人的话没一句是真的
This woman had never told the truth in her life.
她告诉我 在庭审期间 她给地区法♥院♥打过电♥话♥
She also told me that she had tried to call the D.A. During the trial…
她有证据说明那女人是不可信的
and give this evidence that this woman was not believable.
和他们有关的证词都是不可信的
If their case hinged on this testimony, this was not believable testimony.
她们很垃圾
They were scum. They were just…
她们就是垃圾
actually scum.
他是黑人 她是白人
He was a black man and she was a white woman.
他在告诉我警♥察♥被枪杀事件后
He came to work the day after.
第二天就回去工作了
He told me about the policeman that had gotten shot the night before.
关于这个 我从没听说过
And I hadn’t heard anything about it.
我认为是另一个故事
And I thought it was another one of these stories.
他带着报纸进来
And he brings in these newspapers…
他说他没看见什么 太黑了
and he says he didn’t see a thing. He couldn’t see nothing, it was dark.
金钱冲昏了他的头脑
Wheels started rolling in his head about money.
他就想出那样的办法
That’s when he got the idea.
这么说吧
Let me put it in his words.
为了钱 他会去作伪证
For enough money, he would testify…
说些他们让他说的话
to what they wanted him to say.
他会说的
He would say anything they wanted him to say.
他会看到他们想让他看的
Or he would see anything that they wanted him to see.
这些都是他的原话
Those were his words.
令我震惊的是他真的做了
I was shocked that he did go ahead…
说他看见了枪杀现场
and get up and tell that he saw the actual shooting…
出来指证
and recognized the boy. Identified him.
我打电♥话♥给丹尼斯 怀特说 那人在撒谎
That’s when I called Dennis White. I told him, “That man’s lying.”
没有人在晚上还能看得很清楚
Nobody has that good of an eyesight.
从他们所在位置是不可能看见警♥察♥中枪的
From where the policeman was shot and from where they were at…
就算用望远镜也不一定能看清楚
I doubt if you could have even seen them with binoculars.
我是个售货员
I’m a salesman.
我记忆力很好
And you develop something like total recall.
地点 事件我都没忘
I don’t forget places, things…
还有街道
or streets.
因为我有这种习惯
Because it’s a habit, something I just picked up.
我会使劲盯着人看 并记住他
I just stare intensely at people and try to figure them out.
我爱管闲事 就是盯着看
Being nosy, I just stare.
一天晚上 我正从Plush酒吧出来
I was leaving the Plush Pub one night…
开着1977年版的凯狄拉克
driving a 1977 Cadillac…
驶往汉普敦
heading west on Hampton.
我看到有一个警官把两个人拦到路边
I noticed an officer had two individuals pulled over…
他们开的是蓝色的车子
to the curb in a blue…
某款型号♥在车子
some type of vehicle.
是一辆蓝色的…
It was a blue…
可能是蓝色的福特 反正是蓝色的
It was a blue Ford. It was a blue something.
司机留着长长的金发 还有胡子
The driver, I think, had long blond hair and a mustache.
另外一个脸上很干净
And the other one didn’t have no hairs on his face.
如果一个白人在晚上穿过那个地区
A person that is white going through that area at night…
他肯定是头蠢猪 怎么也不该出来
he’s a sore thumb, he stick out for the first reason.
如果他们看上去不对劲 他们就会拦住你
And if they don’t look right, they’re gonna stop you.
那个警官向汽车走去
The officer, he walked up to the vehicle.
他的车就在身后
His car was behind…
我忘了它是在后面还是前面
I don’t know if it was behind or in front…
可我知道他让车停下 走过去
but I know he had him pulled over, and he was up to the car.
我想他是朝车子走过去的 让我想想
I think he was up to the car. Let me think.