万物理论
1963年 英格兰 剑桥
快点
Well, come on!
快点 老头子
Come on, old man.
进入三一路
Coming into Trinity Lane!
看着点路 布莱恩
Eyes on the road, Brian.
布莱恩找到了空隙
Brian spies an opening!
看着点
Eyes on the staff!
霍金要输了
Hawking’s lost it!
不要
No!
你输了 布莱恩
You lose, Brian.
太慢了 老头子
Too slow, old man.
太慢了
Too slow.
我的天哪
Oh, my goodness. Right.
该喝酒了 你好啊
Time for a drink, yeah. Hello.
要是宇宙的奥秘跟性有关
What if the secret of the universe has something to do with sex.
你博士论文就写这个吧 爱之物理学
Maybe do your doctorate on that? The physics of love.
-那是你的研究领域吧 -最近没怎么研究了
– I think that’s more your field, Brian. – Not lately.
你要是再定不下来 就要被请出去了
They will boot you out, you know, if you don’t decide.
我认识这里所有的…棒极了
I know everybody here who’s… brilliant.
居然是科学家们
Oh, dear, scientists!
别担心 不会待太久的
Don’t worry, we don’t have to stay long…
简直无聊到死
looks mortifyingly dull.
-没劲 -那是谁
– Bores. – Who’s that?
哪个 他吗
Who’s who? Oh, him?
他挺怪的 也挺聪明 去了抗♥议♥核游♥行♥[1960年代]
He’s strange, clever, goes to “Ban the Bomb” marches.
王尔德 简·王尔德
Wilde. Jane Wilde.
大卫在那 大卫
Oh, there’s David… David?
-我马上回来 马上回来 -戴安娜
– I’ll be back in a minute. I’ll be back in a second. – Diana! Diana!
-你好 -你好
– Hello. – Hello.
-理学吗 -文学
– Science? – Arts.
-英语 -法语及西班牙语
– English. – French and Spanish.
那你呢 你学什么的
What about you? What are you?
-宇宙学家 我是个宇宙学家 -那是什么
– Cosmologist, I’m a cosmologist. – What’s that?
就是特别聪明的 不信上帝的人
It’s a kind of religion for
-信的宗教 -聪明的不信上帝的
– intelligent atheists. – Intelligent atheists?
你不信教吧
You’re not religious, are you?
国教
C Of E.
-就是英国国教[圣公会] -是啊
– Church of England. – England, yes.
总得有个信教的
I suppose someone has to be.
那宇宙学家信奉什么呢
So, what do cosmologists worship then?
信奉什么
What do we worship?
用一个统一的方程
One single unifying equation
来解释宇宙万物
that explains everything in the universe.
-是吗 -是
– Really. – Yes.
是什么方程
What’s the equation?
问题就在这
That is the question.
这个问题非常好 我还不清楚
And a very good question. I’m not quite sure yet.
但我想研究出来
But I intend to find out.
那你为什么不留在牛津
Then why didn’t you stay at Oxford?
因为我的期末考试考得一塌糊涂
Because my finals exams were such a shambles
他们叫我参加个口试
that the examiners they settled me in for a “Viva”,
-他们说如果我拿到二等 -口试是什么
– And they told me that if I go up a second… – What’s a “Viva”?
有点恐怖 跟人面对面坐下来什么的
It’s a sort of, mildly terrifying face-to-face thingy.
-面试吗 -审讯吧
– Like an interview? – An interrogation.
我告诉他们 如果给我二等学位[参考片尾注释]
And I told them that if they gave me a 2nd class degree
我就得留在牛津做研究
then I’d stay with them and do my research at Oxford,
如果给我一等学位 我就能去剑桥了
but if they gave me the 1st, I needed to get into Cambridge,
他们就能永远甩掉我了
then they would never have to see me again.
所以他们给了你一等
They gave you the 1st.
没错
They gave me the 1st.
-是啊 -派对已经正式结束了
– Of course. – This party is officially deceased.
来吧 我找辆车送你回家
Come on, I’ve fixed you up a ride home.
走啊 简
Come on, Jane…
简
Jane?
-跟你聊天很开心 -我也是
– Well, it was lovely to talk to you. – Yes.
还有 希望你能找到那个方程
And… I hope you find your equation.
是啊
Yes… oh…
-再见 -再见
– Bye. – Bye.
斯蒂芬
Stephen?
来看看这个
Well, then, here we are,
给你们的小测试
a little challenge for you all,
在你们踏上学术研究之路时…
as you embark upon your separate doctoral journeys…
不管你们打算研究什么 霍金先生
whatever they may be, Mr. Hawking.
传下去
Pass them down.
来看看你们是男人还是男孩
Something to separate the men from the boys,
是粮食还是糟糠
the wheat from the chaff,
介子还是π介子 真夸克[基本粒子之一]还是假行家
the mesons from the pi-mesons, the quarks from the quacks.
十个问题 一个比一个难
Ten questions, each more impregnable than the last.
祝你们好运吧 周五三点再见
Good luck, you’ll need it. Shall we say Friday at 3 o’clock?
我要做到瘫痪了
This is going to hospitalize me.
一 划
And one, drive!
二 划
Two, drive!
三 划
Three, drive!
坚持住 布莱恩 给你喊个持久的
Stay long, Brian. I’ll give you something long.
坚持住 布莱恩 加把劲 布莱恩
Stay long, Brian. Keep long, Brian!
闭嘴
Shut up!
-撑住啊 布莱恩 -累死了
– Long, Brian! – I’m exhausted.
坚持住 布莱恩
Stay long, Brian!
弹它 弹它 该死
Flip it, flip it! Wiggs.
换个人好吗
Somebody else for once.
-再来两杯这个 -好啊
– Can I get two more of those, please? – Yeah, sure.
-换点零钱打个电♥话♥ -好的
– And some change for payphone, Sir. – Yeah.
-斯蒂夫 你没事吧 -简
– Steve, you all right, mate? – Jane.
猜我那天碰到他跟谁在一起 卡罗琳
You’ll never guess who I saw with him the other day… Caroline.
快把他留住吧 别放出来吓人
For heaven’s sake, she can save him, quite frankly.
这概率有多大
What’s the probability?
小的不得了
Reasonably low.
这个 这是斯蒂芬
Uh… this is… this is Stephen.
-你玩槌球吗 -槌球
– Do you play croquet? – Croquet?
有阵子没玩了
Not recently.
周日早上
Sunday morning.
我周日早上有事
I’m actually busy on Sunday mornings.
是啊 跟上帝[做礼拜]
Oh… Him.
好吧
Okay.
好吧 接着之前的说…
Anyway, before I was completely interrupted…
快起床 你做出了几个
Oh, come on, get up! How many did you get?
-早上好 布莱恩 -下午好 斯蒂芬
– Morning, Brian. – Good afternoon, Stephen.
那几个超级难问题你做出几个
How many of the impossible questions did you do?
布莱恩 你在说什么啊
Brian, I have no idea what you’re talking about.
夏玛的问题 你做出几个 斯蒂芬
How many of Sciama’s questions did you get, Stephen?
-没做 -一个没做吗
– None. – You didn’t get any?
我一会再做
I was going to do them later.
你看都没看
You haven’t even looked at them.
没看
No.
斯蒂芬 你知道自己
Stephen, are you aware that
是自愿攻读物理学博士学位的吧
you’ve voluntarily embarked on a PhD in physics?
还是在英国最顶尖的大学里
At the most prestigious college in England?
知道
Yes.
还以为入学典礼时候你睡着了呢
Oh! Thought maybe you’d slept through the induction or something.
布莱恩
Bri?
-怎么了 -放段瓦格纳吧
– What? – Can you whip on some Wagner?
一边去
Sod off!
-请进 斯蒂芬 -抱歉
– Come in, Stephen. – Sorry.
迈克 你这乱成一坨
Michael, that’s so illegible
我也不知道你错了多少 估计是不少
I can’t quite decipher how wrong it is, I suspect enormously,
布莱恩 看不懂你写的什么
and Brian… that’s just baffling.
-您受累做了没 -抱歉
– Have you even bothered to? – Oh, sorry.
列车时刻表
Train time tables.
这怎么行 这时刻表都过期了
It’s certainly unacceptable, these expired a month ago.
在背面 我出了点事
It’s on the back, I had a little accident.