-你们打开了吗 -当然
– You opened this? – Of course.
这是自杀遗书
It’s a suicide note.
你问我这么多问题
You asked me all these questions
但你明明都已经看过这封自杀遗书了
and you already read this suicide note?
我不相信那封信 你呢
I don’t believe that letter. Do you?
迪克的信
Dickie’s letter.
你相信吗
Do you believe it?
我不知道该相信什么
I don’t know what to believe.
但是 你想想
Can you imagine, though,
如果真的是他杀了弗莱迪 那该是什么样
if he did kill Freddie, what that must be like?
每天早上醒来 他该怎么面对呢
Just to wake up every morning. I mean, how can you?
-每天醒来 要怎么做人呢 -喝你的咖啡
– Just wake up and be a person? – Drink your coffee.
不管你做了什么 事情有多糟糕 有多伤人
Well, whatever you do, however terrible, however hurtful,
但在你的脑海里 都是合理的
it all makes sense, doesn’t it, in your head.
没有人认为自己是坏人
You never meet anybody who thinks they’re a bad person.
不 我明白 但良心依然会很受折磨
No, I know, but you’re still tormented.
一定会的 毕竟你杀了人
You must be. You’ve killed someone.
难道你不会将发生过的事
Don’t you just take the past
收进内心深处的角落里
and put it in a room in the basement,
然后锁上房♥门 永远不去理会吗
and lock the door and never go in there?
-我就是这么做的 -天啊 可不是嘛
– That’s what I do. – God, yes.
当然了 以我的情况 可能需要一整栋楼
But, of course, in my case, it’s probably a whole building.
接着你会遇到一个特殊的人
And then you meet someone special,
你唯一想做的就是将钥匙扔给他
and all you want to do is toss them the key.
对他说”打开吧 进来吧”
Say “Open up. Step inside.”
然而你不能
But you can’t…
因为那里太黑暗了
Because it’s dark…
里面藏着恶魔
and there are demons.
一旦有人看见你的秘密有多丑恶
And if anybody saw how ugly it is-
这是你被音乐影响心境了
Now that’s the music talking.
要是你弹的是儿歌♥《布朗姆妈快起来》
It’s harder to be bleak if you’re playing
就不会这么沮丧了
“Knees Up, Mother Brown.”
我一直想那么做
I keep wanting to do that.
大力推开心门
Fling… the door open.
让光可以照射进来 清除一切黑暗
Just let the light in, clean everything out.
如果我可以拿一个巨大的橡皮擦把一切都擦除
If I could take a giant eraser and rub out everything,
从我自己开始
starting with myself-
事实是 彼得 如果…
The thing is, Peter, if-
如果…
If…
没有钥匙给我
No key, huh?
-玛吉 -彼得
– Marge. – Peter.
-很高兴见到你 -你好 玛吉
– So good to see you. – Hello, Marge.
汤姆
Tom.
你找到了彼得这个好男人
I see you found Peter.
我们是找到了彼此的命中注定
I think we sort of found each other.
迪克的父亲在哪
Where’s Dickie’s father?
他明天早上才会到
He’s not coming till the morning.
显然是因为他的胃
Evidently his stomach.
我觉得他的肠胃没法适应这里的食物
I don’t think the food here is agreeing with him.
我还很期待见到他呢
I was looking forward to seeing him.
迪克不是自杀 我很肯定
Dickie hasn’t killed himself. I’m sure of that.
现在有一位私♥家♥侦♥探♥在查这个案子了
There’s a private detective on the case now.
迪克的父亲雇佣了一位麦克卡伦先生
A Mr. MacCarron Dickie’s father’s employed.
-真是个好主意 -他是美国人
– That’s a terrific idea. – He’s American.
他已经发现迪克兑现了1000美金的支票
He’s already discovered that Dickie cashed cheques for $1,000…
就在他失踪的前一天
the day before he disappeared.
女士
Signora.
要跳台伯河自杀的人 会这么做吗
Is that what you do before you jump into the Tiber?
我不这么认为
I don’t think so.
-这是你家吗 -不 是汤姆家
– Is this you? – No, it’s Tom’s.
很不错吧
Splendid, eh?
天呐
Golly.
这是谁付的钱
Who’s paying for this?
彼得帮我找的房♥子
Peter found it for me.
我能负担得起是因为这房♥子很潮湿
I can afford it because it’s damp and…
老旧得像要倒塌
and falling down.
-汤姆进行了大改造 -这太棒了
– Tom’s transformed it. – This is spectacular.
所以汤姆希望你能住在这
That’s why Tom wanted you to stay.
总比挤在我的小房♥间里要好
It’s better than trying to squeeze into my room.
而且我知道你很讨厌住旅馆
And I know how you hate hotels.
住旅馆其实也很好
A hotel would have been fine.
我们得告诉格林里夫先生他的钱花在了哪里
We’ll have to tell Mr. Greenleaf how far his dollar stretched.
有什么好笑的
What’s funny?
我只是想到了汤姆第一次去蒙吉贝洛的时候
I was just thinking about when Tom first came to Mongibello.
看看你现在
And look at you now?
看我什么
Look at me what?
现在变成了上等人
To the manor born.
格林里夫先生
Mr. Greenleaf?
格林里夫先生
Mr. Greenleaf?
汤姆
Tom.
你还好吗 你看上去过得不错
How are you? You look well.
-谢谢 先生 我过得不错 -与纽约相隔千里
– Thank you, sir. I am well. – Far cry from New York.
-是啊 -玛吉
– Yes, it is. – Marge.
早上好 今天天气真不寻常
Good morning. Unusual weather.
是的 先生 您好些了吗
Very. And you, sir. Any better?
好得差不多了 还得喝热水
Pretty good. Sticking with hot water.
-麦克卡伦先生在哪 -圣雷莫
– Where’s Mr. MacCarron? – San Remo.
警♥察♥都是业余的
The police are amateurs.
孩子 现在情况相当糟糕 不是吗
Well, my boy, it’s come to a pretty pass, hasn’t it?
那位侦探想在圣雷莫找什么
What is the detective hoping to find in San Remo?
他在仔细地排查
He’s being thorough.
我一直努力去了解我儿子 汤姆
I’m learning about my son, Tom.
现在他失踪了 我反而了解到很多关于他的事
Now he’s missing, I’m learning a great deal about him,
我希望你可以为我填补更多的空缺
and I hope that you can fill in some more blanks for me.
他在蒙吉贝洛那边的生活 玛吉已跟我说了很多了
Marge has been good enough to do that about Mongibello.
我会尽我所能 先生
I’ll try my best, sir.
很显然 能帮到迪克的我都会去做
Obviously, I’ll do anything to help Dickie.
很好
Good.
那个假设 他留给你的那封信
This theory, the letter he left for you.
警方认为这是一个明显的迹象
The police think that’s a clear indication
显示他打算 对自己的生命做出一些事
he was planning on doing something, to himself.
但我不相信
I just don’t believe that.
你不想相信 亲爱的
You don’t want to, dear.
我想单独跟汤姆谈谈
I’d like to talk to Tom alone.
或许就今天下午 你不介意吧
Perhaps this afternoon. Would you mind?
玛吉 一个男人对他的爱人说的话
Marge, what a man may say to his sweetheart…
和他对男性友人说的话…
and what he’ll admit to another fellow-
比如什么
Such as?
真是浪费生命 和机遇
What a waste of lives… and opportunities.
我很乐意给那个家伙一百美元让他别吹了
I’d pay that fellow a hundred dollars right now to shut up!
不 很多事玛吉都不知道
No, Marge doesn’t know the half of it.
他的护照照片
And his passport photo.
你听说了吗 把他自己的脸划成那样
Did you hear? To scratch out his own face like that?
你能想象吗
Can you imagine?
会做出那样举动的心情
Frame of mind you’d have to be in?
“我想过要去找警方自首 但我无法面对
“I’ve thought about going to the police, but I can’t face it.
我再也无法面对任何事了”
“I can’t face anything any more.”
我很内疚 我感觉是我把他推开了
I feel guilty. I feel like I pushed him away.
我感觉他把我视作替你传达旨意的人
I feel like I spoke and he heard you.
如果我们将他推开了 他又何尝没将我们推开
If we all pushed him away, what about him pushing us away?
你这段时间是我儿子称职的好友
You’ve been a great friend to my son.
一切都是别人的错
Everything is someone else’s fault.
我们都想过放荡不羁的生活
We all want to sow wild oats,
但总得有人去…
but somebody’s got to- got to-
怎么说来着
What is the word?
每当有人找他对质的时候
You know, the moment someone confronts him,
他就勃然大怒
he lashes out.
他总是如此
He always has.
人们常说 人无法挑选自己的父母
You know, people always say that you can’t choose your parents,
但你也无法挑选自己的孩子
but you can’t choose your children.