我迫不及待告诉母亲所有发生的事…
I lost no time, of course, in telling my mother all that I knew…
告诉她我们当初如何陷入困境
and we saw ourselves at once in a dtfftcult and dangerous position.
需要马上想出解决办法,所以不得不…
“Something must speedtly be resolved upon, and it occurred to us…
“最后决定一起去…”一起携手到邻近小村庄求救
“at last to go forth together…”and seek help in the neighbouring hamlet.
我们连帽子也没戴…
“No sooner said than done. Bare- headed as we were…
就匆忙地跑向晚夜冰冷的雾气中
“we ran out at once in the gathering evening and the frosty fog.
虽然当时看不到邻近小村…
“The hamlet lay not many hundred yards away…
不过眼前却出现了…
“though out of vtew, on the other stde of the next cove…
让我感到安心的景象…
“and what greatly encouraged me…
反方向的路上…
“it was in an opposite direction…
出现了一位失明的男子
“from that whence the blind man had made his appearance.
我绝不会忘记当时看到门窗内…
“And I shall never forget how much I was cheered…
泛出的光有多开心…
“to see the yellow shine in doors and windows…
“但是,作为证明…”不过那是我们仅能得到的帮助
“but that, as it proved…”was the best of the help we were Itkely to get in that quarter.
“你可能以为…”人们会感到羞耻…
“For you would have thought…”men would have been ashamed of themselves…
没人愿意跟我们一起回到…
“no soul would consent to return with us to the…”
奥黛莉?抱歉
Audrey? Sorry.
塔克先生过世了
Mr. Talcott’s gone.
好
Okay.
放在前面柜台,说不定有家人会来
Front desk, in case anyone shows.
看来不会有人来吧?
I think you’ll be waiting a while, hon.
我们不是打电♥话♥了吗?他说他有家人啊
No. Didn’t we call? He said he had family.
没错
Yeah.
不过他们不想理他
But they don’t want to have anything to do with him.
丢在后面垃圾堆就好
DESK NURSE: You can dump it out back.
你看一下
Okay, take a look.
我明天要面试
I interview tomorrow.
你的工作怎么办?
What about your job?
我受不了那个地方
I had enough of that place.
为什么?怎么了? – 请用
What happened? – Here’s your beer.
谢谢 – 不客气
Thanks. – Sure.
塔克先生今天过世了
I lost a patient today. Mr. Talcott.
真遗憾 – 要是你在场就好
I’m sorry. – You should have seen it.
他才死不久…
The second he died, it was like…
她们就巴不得要把他赶走
they couldn’t wait to get him out of there.
就像是做生意
It’s just a business to them.
本来就是生意,还好他有你
It is a business, but at least he had you.
错了,应该要关怀病人
No. It’s supposed to be a business about caring.
她们根本不在乎
They couldn’t care less.
泰瑞布教区就是那个鬼地方嘛
Wait. This is Terrebonne Parish. It’s the freaking swamps.
反正我申请护理学校需要工作经验,又有薪水可拿
I get the hours I need to start nursing school, and I get paid.
还可以用我的方式去帮助别人
And I get to help somebody, my way.
那儿有鳄鱼,还有牙都掉光的老男人
They got gators in the swamps, and guys missing teeth.
我们到底要不要跳舞?
Are we dancing here, or what?
小凯,听着
Cary, look.
你现在的工作,会不会改变你太多?
This work you’re doing, are you sure it’s not changing you?
我才25岁,改变一下有什么不好?
I’m 25 years old. What’s wrong with a little change?
喔,我的天哪
Oh, my God.
有人在吗?
Hello?
有人在吗?
Hello?
那就是真爱的表现
Now that right there is what love is all about.
就像故事书里那种经典的画面
Old- fashioned devotion, like what you read about.
你一定是卡洛琳吧
You must be Caroline.
不好意思,门没锁,所以我就进来了
I’m sorry, the door was open, so I just walked in.
这房♥子很大,里面根本听不到
Oh, no. It’s a big house. I didn’t hear you.
没关系
It’s okay.
刚才白费功夫整理了
So much for getting their affairs in order.
不好意思,我叫路克·马修,不动产律师
I’m sorry. I’m Luke Marshall. Estate lawyer.
我们在电♥话♥上聊过
We talked on the phone.
喔,对
Oh, right.
医生说他只剩一个月,应该快不行了
The docs figure a month maybe. He’s pretty far gone.
知道了
I understand.
他太太不能接受
His wife’s having kind of a rough time with it.
大部分的人都是这样
Most people do.
薇儿丽,你有客人
Violet, you have a visitor.
这是卡洛琳·艾利斯?
May I present Miss Caroline Ellis?
她在新奥尔良安宁疗护所工作
She works down at the hospice in New Orleans.
卡洛琳,这是薇儿丽·戴沃
Caroline, this is Violet Devereaux.
你家真漂亮
You have a lovely home.
抱歉,她心情不好,家里现在又要住进陌生人…
I’m sorry. It’s just hard. The idea of a stranger living here…
我了解
I understand, really.
她的观念很传统,觉得女人还是含蓄点比较好
She’s Old South, you know. She thinks women still curtsey.
他完全不能说话?
So, he can’t talk at all?
不能,因中风而麻痹了
No. Stroke pretty much paralysed him.
哪一方受到影响? – 两边都受到影响
Which side was affected? – Both.
大概是一个多月前,在阁楼发生的
It happened about a month ago, up in the attic.
她在那儿找到他
That’s where she found him.
班?
Ben?
有人来看你了,这是卡洛琳·艾利斯小姐
You have a visitor. Meet Miss Caroline Ellis.
你好,班,我是卡洛琳
Hello, Ben. I’m Caroline.
她是外地来的,一定不了解这儿的规矩
She’s not from around here. She not going to understand my house.
她从新奥尔良来的
She’s from New Orleans.
她不是在新奥尔良长大的,你没听到她说话的语气吗?
She wasn’t raised in New Orleans. You hear how she talks?
谁知道她从哪儿来? – 新泽西贺博镇
Who knows where she comes from? – Hoboken, New Jersey.
你希望她有南方口音吗?
What do you want a Southern accent?
薇儿丽,找不到别人了
The last one left, Violet.
好吧
All right.
不过她一定不会了解这儿的规矩
But she’s not going to understand the house.
找不到看护是吧?
The last girl left, huh?
等一下,我再跟她把事情谈清楚
Wait. Let me talk to her, we can straighten things out.
要是她不需要我的帮助,那就算了
I can’t help anybody who doesn’t want my help.
她需要你的帮助,她只是很害怕
She does want help. She’s just scared.
怕什么?太过拘束?
Of what? Politeness?
他是她的最爱,现在眼看就要死了
No. He’s the love of her life and he’s dying.
他们在一起这么多年
They’ve been together forever.
她现在就要失去老伴了
She’s losing her soul mate here.
不知道你会怎么想,不过要是我一定会很难过
I don’t know about you, but that’d put some sandpaper up my ass.
你还真浪漫?
Aren’t you a romantic?
听着
Look.
上个看护不干了
The last girl quit.
你是第五个来应征的看护,之前的人都被她拒绝了
You’re the fifth interview since. She shoots down everyone.
请不要误会
It’s not personal.
只是你一出现,就代表他真的要死了
But you being here means he’s really dying.
不论我在不在这儿,他都会死啊
He’s dying whether l”m here or not.
这房♥子有什么问题?
What’d she mean about the house?
什么?
What?
她为什么会说我一定不懂这儿的规矩?
She said I wouldn’t understand the house. Why’d she said that?
我只知道她一定会付你钱
All I know is her cheques clear.
别挂在心上
Look, forget it.
老实说,我也在找更好的工作
If it makes you feel any better, l”m still looking for my dream job, too.
好
All right.
那你要怎么跟她说?
So if you talked to her, what would you say?
我会说不论她怎么找…
I’d say she could look all she wants…
一定不会找到像你这么好的看护
but I doubt she’d find any better than you.
所以她最好对你好一点
So she’d do well to treat you like it.
好,听清楚,不准打毛衣
Okay, here are my rules. No knitting.
不准加入桥牌俱乐部
No joining a bridge club.
不要玩宝果
And no playing bingo.
好啦,我知道了
Okay, good. Good rules.
我是说真的,他们会把你变成老人
I’m serious, they’ll try and suck you into their elderly ways.
反正开车不到一个小时就可以回来了
It’s less than an hour away. I’ll be back all the time.
你最好常回来
Yeah, well, you better.
只要你不想再听有关二次世界大战的故事就回来吧
Whenever you want to talk to someone who wasn’t around for World War II.
天哪,你怎么这么讨厌老人?
Jeez, what is it with you and old people?
抱一下
Come here.
他一定会以你为傲,你知道他一定会
He’d be proud of you. You know he would.
有人在吗?
Hello?
我要付油钱
I need to pay for some gas.
有人吗?
Hello?
有人在后面吗?
Is somebody back there?