然后
And, uh
我觉得你应该能理解我为什么要告诉你
I think you can appreciate why I wanted to tell you about it.
我当然理解
I certainly can.
我也理解为什么你在丹佛的那些手下
I also understand why your people in Denver
把这事留给你来亲自告诉我
left it for you to tell me.
显然 有些人一想到
Obviously, some people can be put off
要在发生过这种事的地方
by the idea of staying alone in a place
单独待这么久的时间 的确会打退堂鼓
where something like that actually happened.
你大可安心 乌尔曼先生
Well, you can rest assured Mr. Ullman,
我不会打退堂鼓的
that’s not going to happen with me.
至于我夫人那边
And as far as my wife is concerned
我相信等我告诉她 她会被深深地吸引住
I’m sure she’ll be absolutely fascinated when I tell her.
她是个忠实的鬼故事 恐怖电影爱好者
She’s a confirmed ghost story and horror film addict.
托尼 你觉得爸爸能拿到这份工作吗
Tony, do you think dad’ll get the job?
他已经拿到了
He already did.
几分钟后他就要打给温蒂告诉她了
He’s going to phone Wendy up in a few minutes to tell her.

Hello.
-嗨 宝贝 -嗨 亲爱的 还顺利吗
– Hi, babe. – Hi, hon. How’s it going?
好极了 我还在酒店里
Great. Look, I’m at the hotel
接下来有一堆事情要去做
and I still have a awful lot to go through.
我觉得我9点甚至10点前是到不了家了
I don’t think I can get home before 9:00 or 10:00.
听起来你已经得到这份工作了
Sounds like you got the job.
没错 这地方很美
Right. It’s a beautiful place.
你和丹尼肯定会喜欢的
You and Danny are going to love it.
托尼 你为什么不想去那家酒店
Tony, why don’t you want to go to the hotel?
我不知道
I don’t know.
你肯定知道 快点告诉我
You do too know. Now come on, tell me.
我不想说
I don’t want to.
拜托啦
Please.

No.
托尼 告诉我
Now, Tony, tell me.
现在把眼睛睁开让我看看
Now, hold your eyes still so I can see.
很好 另一只
That’s good. Now the other one.
好孩子
Good boy.
丹尼
Now, Danny
你记不记得在刷牙的时候
when you were brushing your teeth
闻到什么奇怪的气味
do you remember if you smelled anything funny
或者看到什么强烈的闪光
or saw any bright, flashing lights
或是任何奇怪的东西
or anything at all strange?
没有
No.
你还记得你之前在刷牙吗
Do you remember when you were brushing your teeth?
记得
Yes.
刷牙之后紧接着发生的事 你还记得什么
What’s the next thing you remember after you were brushing your teeth?
我妈妈在说 “醒醒 醒醒 丹尼 醒醒”
My mom was saying, “Wake up. Wake up, Danny, wake up. ”
丹尼 你还记不记得
Now, Danny, can you remember what you were doing
在开始刷牙之前你在做什么
just before you started brushing your teeth?
和托尼说话
Talking to Tony.
托尼是你的宠物吗
Is Tony one of your animals?
不 他是住在我嘴里的小男孩
No. He’s a little boy that lives in my mouth.
托尼是他的幻想好友
Tony’s his imaginary friend.
你现在能不能张开嘴 让我见见托尼
If you were to open your mouth now, could I see Tony?
不行
No.
为什么
Why not?
因为他藏起来了
Because he hides.
他去哪了
Where does he go?
进我肚子里了
To my stomach.
托尼让你做过什么事吗
Does Tony ever tell you to do things?
我不想再聊托尼了
I don’t want to talk about Tony anymore.
好吧
Okay.
没关系
That’s fine.
好了 丹尼
All right, Danny.
我想请你帮我个忙
I’m going to ask you to do me a favor
今天都乖乖地躺在床上 好吗
and stay quietly in bed for the rest of the day. Okay?
一定要这样吗
Do I have to?
是的 我希望你听话
Yes. I’d like you to.
我们去另一个房♥间聊一会儿
We’re going in the other room for a few minutes and talk.
我会回来看你的
I’ll come back and check on you.
-好吗 -好的
-Okay? – Okay.
再见
Bye.
-我们到客厅去吧 -好的
– Shall we go into the living room? – Yes.
-请坐 -谢谢
– Please. – Thank you.
托伦斯夫人 我觉得你无需担心
Mrs. Torrance, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
我非常肯定丹尼的身体没有任何问题
I’m quite sure there’s nothing physically wrong with Danny.
是吗
Yeah?
他现在看上去没有任何问题
He seems absolutely fine now.
但你真该看看他之前的样子
But you should’ve seen him.
我懂的
I know.
小孩出点事能把做父母的吓死
Kids can scare you to death.
但相信我 这种突然的发作一点也不罕见
But believe me, these episodes are not at all uncommon.
虽然看起来很糟 但实际情况并非如此
And they look much worse than they are.
不过他到底是怎么回事
But what was the matter with him?
托伦斯夫人 很多时候
Mrs. Torrance, Most of the time,
孩子的这种突然发作都无法解释
these episodes with kids are never explained.
通常是由情感因素引起的 很少会再次出现
They’re brought on by emotional factors and rarely occur again.
那更像是自我催眠
They’re more akin to autohypnosis
一种自发式的催眠行为
A kind of self-induced trance.
如果再发生 尽管我觉得不大可能
If it reoccurs, which I doubt
可以考虑做一些检查
we can always think about having some tests done.
不了 谢谢你
No, thank you.
我相信你说得对
I’m sure you’re right.
你在博尔德待了很久吗 托伦斯夫人
Have you been in Boulder long, Mrs. Torrance?
刚来大约三个月
Only about three months.
我们是从佛蒙特州来的 我丈夫以前在那教书
We’re from Vermont. My husband was teaching school there.
丹尼那位幻想好友的出现…
Did the appearance of Danny’s imaginary friend…
托尼
Tony.
托尼的初次出现
Did Tony’s first appearance
是否恰好是你们搬来这里的时候
happen to coincide with your arrival here?
不是
No.
我想想…
Let’s see…
我想丹尼开始跟托尼说话
I guess Danny started talking to Tony
大约是在我们送他进幼儿园的时候
about the time we put him in nursery school.
他对于学校生活适应得好吗
Did he adjust well to school?
不好
No.
起先他不太喜欢上学
He didn’t like it too much at first.
然后他受了伤 所以我们有阵子没让他去上学
Then he had an injury, so we kept him out for a while and
没错 差不多就是那时候
Yeah, I guess that’s about
我发现他在跟托尼说话的
when I first noticed he was talking to Tony.
他受了什么伤
What sort of injury did he have?
他的肩膀脱臼了
He dislocated his shoulder.
怎么弄的
How did he manage to do that?
就是小孩子常见的那种情况 你懂的
It was just one of those things, you know.
纯粹是意外
Purely an accident.
我丈夫一直在酗酒
My husband had been drinking and
他那天晚回来三个多小时
he came home about three hours late.
那晚他心情不太好
So he wasn’t exactly in the greatest mood that night.
丹尼把书本和作业纸弄得满屋子都是
And Danny had scattered some of his school papers all over the room
我丈夫抓住他的胳膊 把他拉开
and my husband grabbed his arm to pull him away from them.
就是父母常会对小孩做的那种事
It’s just the sort of thing you do 100 times with a child
在公园里 或街上 都很常见
you know, in a park or in the street.
但那一次
But on this particular occasion
我丈夫用力过猛
my husband just used too much strength
伤到了丹尼的胳膊
and he injured Danny’s arm.
不过 这事还是有些好处的
Anyway, something good did come out of it all
因为他说
because he said:
“温蒂 我再也不会喝一滴酒了
“Wendy, I’m never going to touch another drop.
如果我再喝 你就离开我”
And if I do, you can leave me. ”
然后他就再没喝过酒了
And he didn’t.
他五个月没有沾酒了
He hasn’t had any alcohol in 5 months.
天呐
Boy.
我们一定在很高的地方 空气都感觉很不同
We must really be high up. The air feels so different.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!