The only possible excuse is that I’m not quite myself tonight.
唯一的借口是我今晚有点失常
Maybe it’d be better if you would just go.
你最好快回家吧
– Why? You’re being silly. – Please go. I must insist.
– 为什么?你太傻了 – 请你离开吧 我坚持
Take your potato chips and go.
拿你的薯片 走吧
All right,if you really want me to.
好的 如果你坚持的话
– Good night. – Good night.
– 晚安 – 晚安
I think you’re very nice.
我觉得你是个很好的人
Nice! You’re not nice. You’re crazy,that’s what you are.
好人?你不是个好人 你疯了 一点也没错
You’re runing amuck.
你真的疯了
Helen’s gone for one day and you’re running amuck.
海伦才离开了一天 你就发疯了
Smoking,drinking,picking up girls,playing “Chopsticks.”
抽烟 喝酒 搞女人 弹筷子
You’re not gonna live through this summer. Not like this.
你这副德性将活不过这个夏天
Look at those bloodshot eyes.
看看你充满血丝的眼睛
Look at that face,ravaged,dissipated,evil.
看看你的脸 一张可憎 下流 邪恶的脸
One morning you’ll look in the mirror and that’s all.
某天早上你一照镜子 发现自己变成这样子 兄弟
The Portrait of Dorian Gray.
你这条老淫♥虫♥
– Good morning,Mr. Sherman. – Good morning,Miss Morris.
– 早安 舍曼先生 – 早安 摩丽丝小姐
– Mr. Brady get in yet? – Yes,he came in early.
– 布兰迪先生到了吗?- 他一早就到了
– I wanna see him. Put this on my desk. – Of course.
– 我要见他 请把这个放到我桌上去 – 没问题
Mr. Sherman.Would you like me to get coffee and a doughnut?
要我拿杯咖啡 甜甜圈进去吗?
No,thank you.Miss Morris
不用 谢谢
Have you had breakfast,with the family away?
因为你家人都不在 我想或许你未吃早餐
Miss Morris.I’m capable of fixing my own breakfast.
摩丽丝小姐 我可以料理自己的早餐
I had a peanut butter sandwich and two whiskey sours.
其实我吃了花生酱三文治 及两杯威士忌沙瓦
– Mr. Brady. – Oh,Sherman,come in.
– 布兰迪先生 – 舍曼 进来
Well,what is it?
有什么事吗?
I’ve been with this company for years,and I’ve never asked for a favor.
我在公♥司♥待了很多年了 从没要你帮过忙
But I’am asking a favor now
但我现在要请你帮忙
– You had a raise in February. – I’m not talking about that.
– 你二月才加过薪啊 – 我谈的不是钱
This is more important than money.
是比钱更重要的事
I want two weeks off
我要两星期的假
my wife and son in the country.I want to join them
我太太跟孩子到乡下去了 我要去陪他们
That is not possible,Sherman
那是不可能的 舍曼
This is our busy season. We’re preparing our fall list.
现在是我们的旺季 我们要准备秋季的书单
I’m very tense and upset.
我很紧张 也很难过
I’m on the verge of a breakdown. If I could get back with my wife–
我就快要精神崩溃了 我想如果可以跟太太在一起…
– How long have you been married? – Seven years.
– 你结婚多久了?- 七年了
In a few years,you’ll be delighted to get rid of them for the summer.
如果你像我一样结了婚这么久 你会庆幸他们去了避暑
Shipped them to Nantucket yesterday afternoon…
听我说 昨天下午 我把太太和孩子送到纳塔奇特
…and I haven’t been to bed since.
之后我就没睡觉
Drank bourbon,smoked cigars,played poker till this morning.
喝酒 食雪茄 玩扑克牌 玩到今早9点15分
Came to the office. Never felt better in my life.
然后直接到办公室来 我这辈子从没这么快乐过
I may not go to bed at all till the family gets back in September.
九月前 也就是他们回来之前 我都不会去睡觉的
If I stay in New York alone…
如果我再继续独自待在纽约
…there’s a chance I may not live to see September.
我可能活不到九月了
That’s ridiculous,Sherman. You’re just a little lonely.
太荒谬了 你只是有点寂寞 我会照顾你的
What about us teaming up tonight,seeing if we can get lucky?
我们今晚一队吧 看看我们的运气怎样
It doesn’t have to be just poker.
不一定要玩扑克牌
We’ll cut loose and have us a real hootenanny.
我们可以真正轻松的玩个够
It’s very kind of you,but I don’t think– No hootenannies.
谢谢 但我想还是不要吧 我真的不想玩 随便你吧
Suit yourself,but I’ve been thinking about that fall list.
既然你来了 再跟你说一件事 我一直在想秋季的书单
I’m not a permission
我有个念头
What would you think of a 25-cent reprint…
你觉得25%重印
-…of The Portrait of Dorian Gray? – Dorian Gray?
– 袖珍本”格雷的画像”可以吗?- “格雷的画像” ?
Look what we’ll be giving them for a quarter!
那本书不错 给那本书一个机会
Vice,lust and corruption. The story of a young man:
腐♥败♥ 欲望 堕落 一个年轻人的故事
On the surface,clear-eyed and healthy,just like you.
他外表看来健康聪明 舍曼 就像你一样
But underneath,dry rot.
但骨子里 他是无恶不作的混♥蛋♥
The termites of sin and depravity,gnawing at his soul.
他的灵魂已是无可救药的了
How does that strike you?
你觉得怎样呢?
No,no. No.
笨 笨…
Chapter six:
第六章
“The Infidelity Pattern in the Married Male…
布鲁贝克- 史提李奇理论
…or the ‘seven-year itch.’
已婚男性偶尔出轨模式 或称为七年之痒
A study of 18,000 marriages conducted by myself…
通过一万八千对夫妇的研究
…leads us to believe that the ‘urge curve” in the husband…
史提李奇博士和我相信 中年丈夫的外遇比率
…rises sharply during the seventh year.
在结婚第七年达到最高
This phenomenon is humorously referred to as the seven-year itch.
史提李奇博士戏称这现象为 七年之痒
Far from humorous,this unfortunate urge…
然而 除掉幽默的一面
…strikes 84.6% of the married male population…
这种不幸现象发生的机会率 是84.6%
…rising to an alarming 91.8% during the summer months.”
在夏季 出轨率更高达91.8%
Changed my mind.
我改变主意了
“Case history A: Gustaf Meyerheim,the mad lover of Leipzig.
个案A:葛斯托·梅耶汉 莱比锡的狂热者
An extreme,but not unusual case of the seven-year itch…
他非常极端 但没什么特别的
…occurred in Leipzig,Germany in 1912.
七年之痒的病历发生在1912年德国的莱比锡
Gustaf Meyerheim,a middle aged business man,
葛斯托·梅耶汉是个中年的生意人
happily married for seven years…
他快乐地度过了七年的婚姻生活
…suddenly–” Seven years!
突然间…七年?
– Dr. Brubaker to see Mr. Sherman. – Good afternoon Doctor.
– 我是布鲁贝克博士 我来找舍曼先生 – 午安 博士
You’ve got 15 minutes early
你早到了15分钟
Yes,my 3:00 patient jumped out of the window.
我知道 我3点的病人谈到一半便跳窗子走了
So I’m ahead of 15 minutes schedule. Which door?
所以我有史以来 第一次空出15分钟 在哪边?
This one.
这边
– Good afternoon,Mr. Sherman. – Dr. Brubaker.
– 午安 舍曼先生 – 布鲁贝克博士
I see you’ve been working on my book.
你一直在看我的 男人的潜意识
It’s a wonderful book. Very important.
对 博士 很好的一本书
– It has something for everyone. – Yes.
– 给读者很重要的讯息 – 我想是吧
You’ll be happy to know that we’re giving it a big promotion.
博士 你一定会很高兴 因为我们将大肆宣传这本书
You’ll be seeing this in every drugstore in America.
两个月后 这本书将于 所有美国的杂货店供选购
-“Of Sex and Violence”? – We had to soup up the title.
– “性与暴♥力♥” ?- 我们得改一改书名
What does this represent?
请问这是什么意思?
Gustaf Meyerheim,the mad lover of Leipzig…
它代表葛斯托·梅耶汉 莱比锡的狂热者
…terrorizing one of his victims. Isn’t that sensational?
记得吗 他恐吓其中一位受害者 看来很吸引吧?
May I remind you that Meyerheim was small,with a red beard?
我得提醒你葛斯托梅耶汉很矮 而且他脸上长满红胡子
Doctor.You’re picky
博士 你在吹毛求疵
Nobody knows that.
没有人会知道的
They know it in Leipzig.
在莱比锡的人会知道
Further more.And all his victims were middle-aged women.
还有 我得跟你说梅耶汉的受害者 都是中年妇女
Now look Doctor.Don’t you think it’d be more effective…
博士 想想看 男人恐吓年轻美女的画面
…to show a man terrorizing a young girl,sales-wise?
不是比较有力吗?我是在说宣传效果
I’m not a salesman. I’m a doctor. I heal sick minds.
我不是推销员 我是个科学家 一个博士 治疗心理疾病的
I find ways to root out insecurities,neuroses,inner tensions…
我尽力去为人们除去不安 精神疾病和内心的紧张
– What is it? What are you looking at? – Nothing.
– 博士 你在看什么?- 没什么
– Does that mean something,doctor? – No,nothing serious.
– 这代表了什么吗?- 不 不算严重 或许是暴风雨前的警告
– Dark clouds on the psychic horizon. – That’s preposterous.
– 精神病的风暴即将来袭 – 太荒谬了
A twitch in a thumb,a nerve or a muscle.
姆指抽动 不是紧张就是肌肉拉伤
You psychiatrists make a case out of it. Of all the ridiculous…
你们心理学家就是喜欢夸大 这太可笑了
– Are you very expensive? – Very.
– 博士 你收费贵吗?- 非常贵
– I’m sure you make exceptions. – Never.
– 我相信你偶尔会有例外的 – 从来不会
If a case really interests you?
或许这是你很感兴趣的个案
At $50 an hour,all my cases interest me.
一小时50块的个案 一向都让我感兴趣
If you run into something spectacular,another Gustaf Meyerheim–
但如果你遇到很特别的病人 例如另一个葛斯托·梅耶汉
You wouldn’t believe this,but last night…
博士 你一定不会相信 但昨晚
…I found myself terrorizing a young lady.
我发现自己在威胁一名年轻女子
That could account for the thumb.
所以你的姆指才会抽动
Actually,it wasn’t that bad. I just made a little boo-boo.
事实上 情况没那么糟 我太夸张了 只是犯了一小错误
Psychoanalysis doesn’t recognize the boo-boo as such.
心理分♥析♥无法判定对错
Everything is unconscious.
我们只会找出潜意识里的根源
Doctor,believe me,I was completely conscious.
博士 相信我 我当时非常清醒
I told her to take her potato chips and go.
我要她离开 拿着薯片离开
– Potato chips. If you please… – All right,doctor.
– 薯片…请躺下 – 是的 博士
I’m in serious trouble. I’m married.
博士 我麻烦大了 我结了婚
“Serious trouble. Married.” So far,normal.
真的很麻烦 已婚男人… 到目前为止还很正常
I’ve been married for seven years.
我结婚七年了
I’m coming down with what you call the seven-year itch.
我怕我患上你和 史提李奇博士说的七年之痒
– What am I going to do? – If something itches,scratch.
– 我该怎么办呢?- 如果痒的话 最好的方法是去抓一抓
I scratched. There was this lady. Everything went black.
我昨晚抓过了 有一位年轻的女孩 突然间我脑海一片空白
I terrorized her,I attempted to terrorize her.
我非礼她… 应该是我试图非礼她
The attempt was unsuccessful?
这样看来 你的企图是失败了
Definitely. All I did was knock us both off the piano bench.
没错 我们因而从钢琴椅摔下