这面墙主要靠这三个支柱支撑
This section of the wall is supported by three pillars.
这 这 还有这
Here, here and here.
叔叔 有人来了
Uncle, someone has arrived!
他还带着一只小白猫
He has a white cat!
肯定又是一个被北方人侵袭的受害者
Another victim of the Northmen, no doubt.
现在 我们来看看
Now, let’s see.
不不不 没有那么远
Oh, no, no not that far.
不过我们都是徒步走过来的
But we’ve the legs walked off ourselves all the same.
但是 到底是从哪里来的 很远吗
But, please, from where? A very long way?
好吧 是有那么点远
Oh, yes, ’twas long enough all right.
但是有这只小东西陪着
Ah, but when you have this little one to keep up with,
时间就加倍地流逝
well, it doesn’t take half the time.
是这样吧 潘歌♥嘭
Isn’t that right, Pangur Ban?
你会在这里待很久吗
Will you be staying long?
欢迎来到凯尔斯 修士
Welcome to Kells, Brother. Hmm?
西勒院长
Abbot Cellach.
和平与你同在
Peace be with you!
修士们 欢迎我们时代
Brothers, welcome to Kells
最伟大的绘经人之一来到凯尔斯
one of the great illuminators of our times.
肯定是个石工
Must be a stone mason.
他就是爱奥那的艾丹修士
Brother Aidan of Iona.
一次一个问题
Now, one question at a time.
就像圣可伦巴曾经说过的
As Columbkille used to say, “Questions do not burn your tongue
只要你有耐心 问题是不会烧杀舌头的
“If you wait to ask them.”
欢迎来到凯尔斯 艾丹修士
Welcome to Kells, Brother Aidan!
走这边 来吧 大家
It is this way. Come on, everyone.
你好 欢迎来到凯尔斯
Hello, welcome to Kells.
等等
Hey, wait!
我们刚还在讨论你和你的书
We were only just talking of you and of the book.
我想这就是我们的命运 真的
I think we are tempting fate, this is true.
真是个不错的房♥间
Oh! Fine size of a place, isn’t it?
清新的空气
Mmm. Good clean air,
透过窗户的美丽光线
fine light coming from those windows.
-修士 -真是不错
– Brother! – Very good indeed. Yes.
那是不是就是你藏书的地方
Is that where you keep the book? Hmm?
那 是不是就是你藏
Uh, is that where you keep the…
你又是谁
And who might you be?
看得出来是位个子不高的修士
A very short Brother I see.
个子不高但问题不少的修士
The person who is short of stature is never as short of questions.
你对这本书的什么感兴趣
And of what interest is the book to you?
呃 当修士们在讨论的时候说到
Uh, well, the Brothers were talking
是传教士圣可伦巴开始写的这本书
and they said that Saint Columbkille himself began it.
修士们 既然你们已经见过了艾丹修士
Brothers, now that you’ve greeted Brother Aidan,
那我该带他去看看
I must take him to see the
我们为保护凯尔斯所做的重要工程了
important work we’re doing to fortify Kells.
你们都还有工作要做
You all have work to do.
图在我工作室
The plans are in my work room.
但是你看 其实我可以待在这
Ah, but you see, I was thinking I could stay here…
修士 这边走
Right this way, Brother.
-小伙子 -嗯
– Lad! – Hmm?
给它找点吃的
Find some food for, uh…
我决定要在两年之内完成这个防御工事
You see, I am determined to complete the fortifications within two years.
所以 你就是潘歌♥嘭
So, you’re Pangur Ban.
我是
Well, I’m…
等等 我是负责喂你的
Hey, wait. I’m supposed to feed you.
等等
Wait!
潘歌♥嘭
Pangur Ban!
潘歌♥嘭
Pangur Ban!
你不该来这的
You should not have come here.
北方人会跟着你
The Northmen will have followed you…
那我就该等着被他们杀吗
Was I to stay and be killed?
我躲开了维京海盗
I escaped the Vikings
还甩了他们很远 西勒修士
and left them far behind, Brother Cellach.
抱歉 我是说 西勒院长
Sorry, I mean, Abbot Cellach.
那本书保住了 我想完成它
The book is saved and I mean to complete it.
好吧
Yes.
我们有更紧迫的事情要做
Well, we have more pressing things to complete here.
你是指你的城墙
You mean your wall?
不是我的城墙 艾丹
Not my wall, Aidan.
而是拯救文明的城墙
A wall to save civilization.
拯救你的书的城墙
A wall to save your book!
异教♥徒♥ 克鲁姆的崇拜者
Pagans, Crom worshippers.
我们城墙的坚固会让他们知道
It is with the strength of our walls
我们的信念有多么坚定
that they will come to trust the strength of our faith.
你总是擅长于老派的画风 西勒
You were always good at the old drawing, Cellach.
是的
Yes.
如果你不介意的话 我还有很多事要做
Well, if you’ll excuse me, I have a lot to attend to.
没有一面城墙能阻挡北方海盗的侵袭 院长
No wall can stop the Northmen, Abbot.
当他们来了 我们唯一能做的就是逃跑
When they come, all we can do is run
并祈祷我们跑得够快
and hope that we are fast enough.
走吧 潘歌♥
Come on, Pangur.
潘歌♥
Pangur!
我不会把书搞坏的
I don’t mean the book any harm.
我所见到过的一切都来自凯尔斯城墙之内
All I’ve ever seen is inside the walls of Kells.
如果我能看一页
If I could just see one page…
拜托了
Please.
看 这不是小个子大问题修士吗
Well! If it isn’t the little Brother with the big questions.
我不是有意
I didn’t mean to…
我懂
I understand.
你偷听我跟院长的对话 但觉得很无趣
You got bored eavesdropping on the Abbot’s private conversation
所以决定来翻我的东西
and decided to rummage through my things.
不 不是这样的
Oh, no, that’s not it!
冷静 小伙子 冷静 我不会告发你的
Calm down, lad, calm down. I won’t tell on you.
可能我
Maybe I…
修士们说 有罪的人看了眼睛会瞎的
The Brothers said that the sinners are blinded if they glance at the book.
所以我大概不该看
So maybe I shouldn’t.
你相信这真会发生吗
Is that what you really believe will happen?
生活总是充满疑惑的不是吗 小伙子
There’s nothing in this life but mist, is there, lad?
这是你自己的决定
It’s your decision, no one else’s.
真正宝贵的不是它的封面
The cover is not the real treasure.
打开它
Open it!
天使之作
The work of angels.
天使之作 听到了吗 潘歌♥
“The work of the angels.” Hear that, Pangur?
我不知道还有长得像我这么滑稽的天使
I didn’t know they made angels as funny looking as me.
说不定这小伙子真失明了
Maybe the boy has gone blind.
我第一次看到这本书的时候也是这么想的
I thought the very same when I first saw it.
但这只是凡人之作
But it is only the work of mere mortals,
就像你我一样的凡人
I’m afraid, like me or you.
这书是北方人肆虐黑暗年代里的一丝光明
The book is a beacon in these dark days of the Northmen.
想看最华丽的那一页吗
Do you want to see the most beautiful page?
能把黑暗变成光明的那页?
The one that will turn darkness into light?
这就是神赐之页
It is to be the Chi-Rho page.
但是上面什么都没有
But it hasn’t been made yet.
对 但它会成为整本书里最绚烂的一页
No, but it will become the most glorious page of the entire book.
布兰登 你愿意帮我吗
Tell me, Brendan, would you like to help me?
当然 我一直都在帮其他修士找翎毛
Oh, yes, please! I help the Brothers find quills all the time.
别激动 别激动 小修士
Calm down, calm down, little Brother.
好吧 一开始 你要
Now, to start with, you can
帮我从老橡树上收集这些东西
help me gather some of these, from an old oak tree.
这是什么
What is it?
这是一种不太起眼的小浆果
It’s a humble little berry,
但这果子能做成颜色最深的翡翠绿色墨水
but it makes the deepest emerald green ink you will ever see.
如果你能帮我从树林里收集一打来
If you help me get a dozen or so from the forest,
我会告诉你怎么画的 快点去吧
I’ll show you how to make it. So, come on!
你怎么还在这
What’s keeping you?
我不能去 我不可以出去
I can’t go. I’m not allowed outside the walls.
太危险了
It’s too dangerous.
是很危险
It is dangerous.
在爱奥那岛上
On Iona,
其他修士兄弟遭到了外来者的袭击
I lost my brothers to attackers from the outside.