Yes. What is it you want? I’m her mother. I’m… I’m Eddie Bartlett.
对啊 你有什么事? 我是她妈妈 我…我叫艾迪·巴利特
Eddie Bart…
艾迪·巴特…
Oh, come in.
噢 进来吧
Eddie Bartlett, her dream soldier. Her what?
艾迪·巴利特, 她的梦幻战士 她的什么?
That’s her name for you. She’ll be thrilled to death to see you when she gets home.
这是她给你取的名字 她回家时看到你 肯定会高兴得要死的
She’s not here? She’ll be back any minute.
她不再这吗? 她很快就会回来
Won’t you come in? That’s nice, Mrs. Sherman.
你不进来吗? 太好了 谢尔曼夫人
This is my buddy, Danny Green. He drove me down here.
这是我的好朋友 丹尼·格林 他开车载我来的
Pleased to meet you. Likewise.
很高兴见到你 我也一样
Come on in. Thanks.
进来吧 谢谢
You see?
你明白了吧?
Jean and I often used to talk about you.
琼和我常常谈到你
And at night we’d pray for you. We felt almost as though you were family.
而且有个晚上我们还为你祷告过 我们感觉你就像我们的家人一样
Sometimes Jean would play the piano. She’s very talented.
有时候琼弹弹钢琴 她非常有天分
We’d sing hymns. She got her voice from me.
我们一起唱赞美诗 她的嗓子得到我的遗传
I’ll get you some more. No, thanks. This is quite enough, really.
我给你再加点 不用了 谢谢 这已经够了 真的
Don’t be bashful. I’ll be right back.
别害羞 我马上回来
If I drink another glass of lemonade, it’s gonna run out of my ears.
我要是再喝上一杯柠檬汁 它们就要从我的耳朵里流出来了
Why didn’t she think to offer us a sandwich?
她为什么不给我们吃上一块三明治呢?
She’s probably building up to that.
她可能正在做呢
I’m beginning to wonder if this trip was worthwhile.
我开始怀疑这次旅行是不是值得了
Let me be the judge of that.
让我来下结论吧
Find out right away if she’s got a friend. If she has, give me the great big buildup.
立即弄清楚她有没有男朋友 如果她有 给我找个强壮的家伙
One thing at a time. Now, look…
事情得一件一件来 现在呢…
…when this gal gets here, watch what you say and do.
…等那姑娘来了 小心说话 别乱动
Way I figure it, she’s got plenty of class.
我估计她很有些品味
You hear what her mother said? She goes to school, sings and dances.
你听到她妈说吗? 她上学 唱歌♥ 跳舞
Look, that means she’s no mug.
这就是说她绝对不是女太岁
Now, that kind of material needs plenty of delicate handling.
现在 这种状况需要小心应付
As a matter of fact, the more I think about this…
事实上 我越想…
…the more I think you should take a long walk.
…越觉得你应该出去散散步
Hey, wait a minute.
嗨 等一等
Hey, Ma, I got an A in algebra!
嗨 妈 我代数拿了个A!
Hello.
你们好
Hello. Hello.
你好 你好
Well, are you waiting for somebody? Yeah, waiting for your big sister.
你们在等人吗? 对 等你的大姐
My big sister? Why, I haven’t got any big sister.
我的大姐? 怎么回呢? 我没有什么大姐
No big sister? Wait a minute.
没有大姐? 等等
Don’t tell me you’re Eddie? Eddie Bartlett? Yeah.
你不会是艾迪吧? 艾迪·巴利特? 是啊
My dream soldier.
我的梦幻战士
Oh, I wondered if I was ever gonna get to see you.
噢 我怀疑我见不到你呢
Oh, Mr. Bartlett, you look just like I pictured you.
噢 巴利特先生 你看起来跟我想象的一模一样
Brave, strong, romantic and handsome.
勇敢 坚强 浪漫又英俊
Speaking of looks, how about this?
既然说到相貌 这是怎么回事?
That was taken when I was in our high-school play.
那时我在高中一次戏剧表演中照的
It was The Fortune Teller by Victor Herbert.
剧目是维克多·赫伯特的”算命者”
But you said that you sang and danced. I do.
但是你说你唱了歌♥跳了舞的呀 是呀
Where?
在哪呢?
I sing in the choir every Sunday, and I had the lead in our high-school play.
我每个礼拜日在诗班唱歌♥ 在学校的戏剧表演里也是主角
Once in a while, I sing and dance for the Elks Club. Everybody says I’m good.
有段时间我还为麋鹿俱乐部唱歌♥跳舞 大家都说我不错
Would you like to hear me? Oh, no, no. No, thanks.
你要听我唱吗? 噢 不 不用了 谢谢
I have absolutely no ear for music.
我绝对不是音乐迷
Well, it was nice to see you. You aren’t really leaving, are you?
不管怎样 很高兴见到你 你不是就要走吧?
We gotta get back to town, important meeting with the general.
我们得赶回城里去, 跟将军有个重要会议
Aren’t you gonna tell me about the war and how you suffered?
你不跟我讲讲战争和你经受的苦难吗?
Honey…
宝贝…
…you’ll never know how I’ve suffered.
…你不会理解我受过什么苦的
So long.
再见
Well, will I see you again?
那 我还能见到你吗?
I’ll call you. When?
我会给你打电♥话♥的 什么时候?
In two or three years, when you get to be a great big girl.
俩到三年吧, 等你长成个大姑娘的时候
So long. Bye.
再见了 再见
You should’ve stayed and helped her with her homework.
你应该留下来帮她做做功课
1920. For the first two weeks of the year…
1920年 在这一年的第一个星期里
… men can still get a drink more or less publicly…
人们多少还可以从公共场所获得些酒喝
… because although the 18th Amendment is in effect, the law has no teeth.
因为即使第18修正案生效了 这个法案没有什么效力
But on the 16th of January, the Volstead Act takes effect…
但是在一月16号♥ 伏尔斯蒂德法生效了
… and traffic in liquor goes completely undercover…
酒类的流通完全转入了地下
… to stay there for many long years.
就这样运转了很多年
The word “speakeasy” begins to appear in our language.
“地下酒吧”这个词开始出现
And the forces of the underworld, who best know how to operate outside the law…
而知道怎么在法律之外最佳运作的地下组织
… are moving in on a new source of revenue, the magnitude of which no man dare guess.
发掘出了一种新的收入之源 其规模之大令人咋舌
Sixty cents.
60分
Say, will you do me a favor?
你能帮我个忙吗?
Take these into Henderson’s and collect 12 bucks. Ask for Panama Smith.
把这些送到亨德孙 收12块钱 找巴娜玛·史密斯
What’s her name? Panama Smith.
什么名字? 巴娜玛·史密斯
I’m taking these across the street. Okay.
我把它们带到街对面去 好的
Meet you back here at the cab. Yeah.
我在这边出租车里等你 好
Hey, Panama, how about something to go with this ginger ale?
嗨 巴娜玛 给这杯姜汁汽水添点什么?
On the way.
正在送过来呢
You Panama Smith? That’s me, brother.
你是巴娜玛·史密斯? 就是我 哥们
Package for you. Twelve bucks.
你的包裹 12块
Oh, yes. The meat.
噢 对了 我订的肉
Come on.
拿着吧
Hey, what are you trying to do? Get us both tossed in the cooler?
嗨 你想干什么? 把我们俩凉在一边?
There’s a law against that dry goods.
法律禁止这些干货
I don’t know what’s in here, and I don’t care. Twelve bucks.
我不知道什么东西在里面 我也不管 12块
Just a minute. Just a minute.
等一等 等一等
You bootleggers are gonna learn the law is being enforced.
你们这些走私的应该接受些法律的教训
What are you talking about?
你们在说什么呀?
You’re under arrest for violating the Volstead Act.
你因为违反伏尔斯蒂德法被逮捕了
I don’t know anything about it.
我听都没有听说过伏尔斯蒂德法
We know. You came in with a load of soda water, and on the way it distilled into gin.
我们知道 你进来的时候拿着一瓶汽水 走着走这就变成了琴酒
And you were delivering it for a friend.
而你呢 只是给一个朋友送东西而已
That’s right. You can tell it to the judge.
是这样呀 你跟法官说去吧
Come on. You too, Panama.
走吧 你也一样 巴娜玛
What for, snooper? For handling this laughing soup.
凭什么呀 探子? 凭你参与私酒买♥♥卖♥♥
This means a padlock for you. But I’m not handling it. He had it.
也就是说你要进班房♥了 但是我没有参与买♥♥卖♥♥呀 酒开始在他手里
And now he has it. Besides, I didn’t know anything about it. Did I, buster?
现在还在他手里 另外 我什么都不知道 你说我知道吗 坏小子?
That’s the way it was.
事情是这样的
I drive a guy in my cab, he asked me to deliver that to a customer in here.
我开出租车载着一个家伙 他让我把这个送给这里的一个客户
I forget his name. I asked if she knows him.
我忘了他的名字 所以问她认不认识他
You got me crying for both of you. Now, come on.
你要把我逗哭了 走吧
I delivered for a guy who’s waiting outside.
我是给一个正等在外面的人代送的
This guy’s on the up and up. He’s no bootlegger.
这个家伙是个上等人 他不是走私犯
I never saw him before. You see him this time. That’s enough.
我以前从没见过他 你这一次见过了 这就够了
Now, get out of here.
现在出去吧
Hey, buster, who do you know?
嗨 坏小子 你认识什么人吗?
I know a lawyer. It’d be better if you knew a judge.
我认识一个律师 你要认识一个法官就更好
Panama Smith, in view of the evidence…
巴娜玛·史密斯 根据你的同犯…
…presented in your behalf by your codefendant…
…所出具的证词…
…and because the arresting officers failed to detect…
…并因为执捕警官不能证明…
…you actually selling intoxicating liquors, I find you not guilty.
…你确实买♥♥卖♥♥烈性酒 我宣布你无罪释放
Edward Bartlett, I find you guilty of violation of the Volstead Act.
爱德华·巴利特, 我宣布你犯有违反 伏尔斯蒂德法之罪
I fine you $ 100 or 60 days in jail.
我处以你100美元罚金或监禁60天
Order. And I give you warning that another offense won’t be treated so lightly.
秩序 我并且警告你 若是再犯 决不轻饶
Court is adjourned.
休庭
Thanks, buster. Thanks a lot.
谢谢你 坏小子 多谢了
I’ll do the same for you someday.
总有一天我会报答你的
Well, how do you like that dame?
你认为这位夫人怎么样?
“Thanks,” she says.
她说了声”谢谢”
I help her beat the rap, and she never even asked if I got enough dough for the fine.
我帮她躲过了这一难 她都不问一问我有没有钱交罚金
What a first-class gilpin I turned out to be.
我怎么成了这么个一级废物
A hundred bucks.
100块
That judge might as well have said 10,000.
那个法官还不如说一万块呢
I’d hock the cab, Eddie, only it’s already in hock.
我要典当出租车 艾迪, 只是它已经典当过一次了
I guess I’m not a very good lawyer.
我猜我不是一个好律师
Oh, you’re all right, kid.
哦 没你的事 小伙子
You just went to bat for the wrong guy, that’s all.
你只是给一个不可救药的客户做了辩护 没什么
Next time, make sure your client really committed a crime.
下一次 确定你的客户真正犯了罪

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!