First it was marathons, then he got on to ultramarathons.
攀岩也是一把好手,皮划艇也相当不错
Very competent climber. Really good kayaker.
参与这些危险的项目
FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Doing all of these dangerous things,
会让你们的关系紧张吗?
has that made relationships difficult for you?
嗯,不会
Well, I wouldn’t…
仅仅因为某些项目被认为是危险的
Just because an activity is seen as dangerous
并不是说你要用危险的方式参与
doesn’t mean to say that you do it in a dangerous manner.
但要回答你的问题,可能会吧
But to answer your question, probably yes.
那是我第一次去英格兰
一个朋友把我介绍给了瑞克
瑞克跟我说:“我会带你去划皮划艇。”
那次经历很有趣难忘
和他在考文垂的时候
和他在考文垂的时候
安普·邦诺恩
护士
安普·邦诺恩
护士
他给我看了他的潜水录像
安普·邦诺恩
护士
他给我看了他的潜水录像
我说:”你疯了吗?‘
“你爬进的那些狭窄黑暗的洞穴连你自己都看不到!”
“你还管这叫’爱好‘?”
但是他热爱这一切
看来他好像不是一般人
我和瑞克相处了两个星期
相得甚欢
我不知道怎么描述这种感觉
I don’t know how to explain this.
你恋爱了吗?
FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Did you fall in love?
是的
Yes.
瑞克让我留下
但我必须回泰国了
告别之后,他发信息给我
“感谢你走入我的生活,
期待与你重逢相见。”
回到清莱那天,我看到了新闻
各位观众晚上好,欢迎收看6月24日第三频道的晚间新闻
我们先来了解一下搜寻野猪足球队的最新情况
安普打电♥话♥给我,她说:“你听说了吗?
(IN ENGLISH) Amp called me and she said, “Have you heard?
“有一支足球队被困在山洞里。”
“There’s a football team trapped in a cave.”
我实在不敢相信这件事竟然我发生在我老家
实在是太凑巧了
一时间我浑身都起了鸡皮疙瘩
当时我在想这其实是个扬名立万的好机会
I was thinking this has actually got our name
我们意识到我们在现场上有联♥系♥,
We realized that we had a contact on the ground,
一个英国人,弗恩·昂斯沃思,他非常非常了解这个洞穴。
a British guy, Vern Unsworth. He knew the cave very, very well.
弗恩向泰国旅游和体育部长提出了批评意见。
Vern had got the critical note to the Thai Minister of Tourism and Sport.
弗恩打电♥话♥说:“你要来泰国
Vern rang and said, “You’re coming to Thailand
坐今天晚上九点半的航♥班♥过来。”
and you’re on the half-past nine flight that night.”
他们给我们安排了商务舱
They flew us out business class,
这是一次很好的经历,我很喜欢。
which was quite an experience. I quite liked that.
倒也不错,毕竟我们是志愿者,
RICK: That was great, because we are volunteers,
是拿不到报酬的
we don’t get paid.
我们到清莱机场了
JOHN: We arrived in Chiang Rai airport.
有一个大牌子,上书:“欢迎世界上最好的洞穴潜水员。”
RICK: There was a big sign-up that said, “Welcome to the World’s Best Cave Divers.”
我们被带到这个牌子前,不得不在它前面摆姿势。
And we were marched out to this sign and had to pose in front of it.
每个人都很尴尬。
All very embarrassing.
第五天
抵达洞穴的时候,现场一片混乱
RICK: When we arrived at the cave site, there was complete chaos.
我在消防部门什么都干过
I’ve had a full career in the fire service,
什么大风大浪都见过,我也面对过混乱,但规模远不如此
I’ve been to big incidents, I’ve seen chaos, but not to this scale.
媒体的长枪短炮形影不离,到处都是救援人员。
We were followed around by press cameras, there were rescue people everywhere.
领导我们的人在哪里?
Where’s the people that are supposed to be leading us?
不知怎么的,我们找到了弗恩。
JOHN: Somehow we managed to find Vern.
他说他们观察那个洞穴
He said they’d seen the cave
水流在过去三天逐渐涌入
progressively flood in the last three days.
流量太大了,非常艰难
VERN: Just too much flow. It was a difficult time.
有人在想,,
Some people were thinking,
“他们的孩子还活着吗?”你知道,“他们会在哪里?”
“Are their kids still alive?” You know, “Where can they be?”
我们决定在洪水进一步泛滥之前
RICK: We decided that we wanted to go in and see as much as possible
尽可能多进去看看
before it flooded further.
当我们走进入口室,那是一个巨大的洞室
As we walked in the entrance chamber, which was a huge chamber,
到处都是闪烁的灯泡、软管、水泵还有电♥话♥线
there were electric lights blazing, hoses, pumps and telephone wires.
虽然州长负责这件事,
Although the governor was in charge of the incident,
他已将潜水的全部责任移交给海军海豹突击队,
he had devolved all responsibility for the diving to the Navy SEALs,
他们很清楚他们不会让我们下水。
and they were very clear that they wouldn’t let us go in the water.
我们的专业领域不同。
Our area of expertise is different.
在那个时间点,进入洞穴真的不安全。
At that point, it’s really not safe to go in.
在那个时间点,进入洞穴真的不安全。
At that point, it’s really not safe to go in.
潜水专家,志愿者
在那个时间点,进入洞穴真的不安全。
At that point, it’s really not safe to go in.
睿格特·常关元
潜水专家,志愿者
睿格特·常关元
潜水专家,志愿者
英国队仍然坚持,气氛变得很紧张
The UK team still insisted. It got quite heated.
睿格特·常关元
潜水专家,志愿者
英国队仍然坚持,气氛变得很紧张
The UK team still insisted. It got quite heated.
你要知道有13个孩子
JOHN: You understand there are 13 children…
-我不在乎,好吗?-被困在山洞里?
-I don’t care, okay? -…in the cave?
这场争论激烈到极点。
The argument went all the way up top.
他对那个英国人直言:
He actually told the UK guy,
“如果你死在里面,别指望我们给你收尸。”
“If you die in there, don’t expecting us to go fetch your body.”
如果你是泰国海军海豹突击队,突然,
JOHN: If you are the Thai Navy SEALs, and suddenly,
来了两个衣衫褴褛的中年男子
two scruffy-looking, middle-aged men turn up,
我知道这实际上是一个糟糕的……
I can see how that really is a bad…
建立合作关系糟糕的开始
start to a relationship.
我们出来的时候,实际上在下雨,绝对是季风打了类固醇
When we got out, it really was raining. Absolute monsoon on steroids.
我们坐在一辆敞篷小货车的后面被带回了酒店。
We were taken back to the hotel in the back of an open pickup.
事实上,是蜷缩在驾驶室后面,试图躲雨。
Literally cowering behind the cab to try and get out of the rain.
约翰和我不得不共用一张双人床。
John and I had to share a double bed.
我们
(CHUCKLES) We…
我们从头到尾什么都做了
One… We did top and tail. (CHUCKLES)
于是第二天,约翰和我从入口室出发
RICK: So, the next morning, John and I set off from the entrance chamber
带着我们所有的装备、钢瓶,挂在了背带上
with all our equipment, our cylinders on our harness.
没有人和我们一起进洞。
Nobody came in the cave with us.
离入口只有200米,
Only 200 meters from the entrance,
水就碰到了岩石,这算得上是一次污水坑潜水
the water met the rock and it was a proper sump dive.
从入口室出发,现在到第二和第三室,
From the entrance chamber, now to the second and third chamber,
是一条河流,一条激流
was a river, a raging river.
所以,我会用“白水探洞”这个词
JOHN: So, the term I would use is “white water caving.”
能见度很低。
Very poor visibility.
实际上是褐色,巧克力那样的褐色
Really brown, really chocolaty brown.
还有很多人为的危险,,电♥话♥线
There’s a ton of man-made hazards as well. Telephone wire…
电缆,各种各样的东西
cables. All sorts of things.
我们在后来被称为“第三洞室”的地方浮出水面
We surfaced in what became known as “Chamber Three.”
救命!
救命,我们在这
我想我们找到了其中4个
We thought we’d found four of the football team.
我说:“嘿,水下有人!”
接着,浮出来俩人
素拉廷·差崇普
泰国地下水协会
素拉廷·差崇普
泰国地下水协会
哦,是外国人
素拉廷·差崇普
泰国地下水协会
哦,是外国人
他们是水泵工人,在沙洲上睡着了
JOHN: (IN ENGLISH) They were pump workers. They had been asleep on the sandbank,
错过了疏散,山洞还被淹了
missed the evacuation and got flooded into the cave.
都没有人知道他们失踪了。
And nobody knew they were missing.
我们不知道那个洞室在几小时或几分钟内
We didn’t know if that chamber was going to flood completely
是否会被完全淹没
in hours or minutes.
我们需要马上把这四个人救出来。
We needed to dive these four guys out immediately.
我儿子说:“我们要死了。”
“他们就一个氧气瓶。”
他们很害怕,但他们别无选择。
RICK: (IN ENGLISH) They were terrified, but they didn’t have another option.
我们只能给他们一个氧气瓶上的调节器
We just gave them a regulator from one of the cylinders
氧气瓶稳稳连接在我们身上
that was still attached to us.
所以,我们必须让他们离我们很近
JOHN: (IN ENGLISH) So, we have to keep them very close to us
否则他们嘴里的调节器就会被拔♥出♥来♥
or the regulator in their mouth is going to be pulled out
他们将无法呼吸。
and they’re not going to be able to breathe.
被人领着走会让人非常迷惑,
RICK: It’s highly disorientating being led,
在水下基本就是抓瞎
basically blind, underwater.
这很残忍♥,他们的头一直被撞
It was quite brutal, they were banging their heads,
我们在移♥动♥它们,试图找到合适的洞
we were moving them around, trying to find the right hole
让他们通过。
for them to go through.
所有的水泵工人的反应都是一样的,
JOHN: All of the pump workers reacted the same,
当他们以为自己能接触空气的时候
the second they thought they were under airspace,
他们有点想都没想就被吓跑了。
they kind of bolted up without any thought.
我早就半截身子入水了
我吞下了好多水
我把它描述成一场水下摔跤比赛。
JOHN: (IN ENGLISH) I described it as an underwater wrestling match.
把水泵工人弄出来之后
After getting the pump workers out
我们没有转身回到山洞里,