抱歉 我不认识那个达林顿公爵
Sorry, I never knew that Lord Darlington.
我的雇主是一个美国人 刘易斯先生
My employer’s an American gentleman, Mr. Lewis.
达林顿公爵是那些想和希♥特♥勒♥谈条件的人之一
Lord Darlington was among those who tried to make a deal with Hitler.
战后好像还有一场官司
Then there was a case after the war
他起诉一家报纸诽谤
where he sued a newspaper for libel.
新闻快报还是新闻时编来着
The Express, was it? News Chronicle?
-我不知道 先生 -不管怎样 他败诉了
-I couldn’t say, sir. -Anyway, he lost.
他很幸运 没有以叛国罪论处
He was lucky, really, not to have been tried for treason.
就在那儿 前面
There it is, just ahead.
先生 我要坦白一件事
Sir, I must confess
我没有说真话
that I failed to tell you the truth.
我认识达林顿公爵
I did know Lord Darlington,
我也要说他是一个很正直的好人
and I can declare that he was a truly good man.
完完全全的一个绅士
A gentleman through and through
我为他工作了许多年
to whom I’m proud to have given my best years of service.
这些应该够你到下一个加油站了
That should get you to the next petrol station.
非常感谢 先生
Thank you very much, sir. I’m most grateful.
那你赞同
But did you
他的观点吗
share his opinions?

Who?
达林顿公爵
Lord Darlington.
我是他的管家 我的工作是为他服务
I was his butler. I was there to serve him
无权表示赞同和否定
not to agree or disagree.
你信任他
You trusted him.
是的 非常信任
Yes, I did. Completely.
他在生命的最后几年
But at the end of his life,
他也承认了自己的过错
he himself admitted that he’d been mistaken.
他太易受人误导 还让自己陷了进去
That he’d been too gullible, and he’d let himself be taken in.
我明白了
I see.
谢谢 先生 您真是太好了 谢谢
Thank you, sir. You’ve been most kind. Thank you.
笔直往前 第一个路口往左
Just keep going straight up here, and turn left at the first crossroads.
我不想烦到您 但是我很好奇
I say, I don’t want to be a bore, but I’m intrigued.
您自己持什么立场
Where do you stand on all that?
如果错误在所难免 那您自己犯过什么错吗
If a mistake was to be made, wouldn’t you rather have made your own?
抱歉我这么好奇地问您
Forgive me for being so inquisitive.
没关系 先生
Not at all, sir.
某种程度上 我也犯过错
In a very small way, I did make my own mistake.
但是我可能有机会来弥补
But I might have a chance to set mine right.
事实上 我现在正在去弥补的路上
In fact, I’m on my way to try and do so now.
试试看发动
Try the ignition.
谢谢先生 很感谢您的帮助
Thank you, sir. I’m most grateful for your help.
祝好运 很高兴能和您谈话
Good luck. It’s been interesting talking to you.
史蒂文斯
Oh, Stevens.
早上好
Good morning, sir.
哈菲克斯公爵很满意那些银制品
Lord Halifax was impressed with the silver.
我告诉他都是你做的 向你献上他的赞美
I told him it was all your doing. Sent his compliments. Well done.
谢谢
Thank you, sir.
史蒂文斯 我想问你
Stevens, I’ve been meaning to ask you
去年那两个犹太女仆的事
That business last year about the Jewish maids
是不是已经找不到她们了
I suppose there’s no way of tracing them?
估计很难 我曾试过在萨里郡帮她们找份工
That would be difficult. I tried to get them a position in Surrey.
但那里只有一个空缺 她们又不想被分开
There was room only for one, and they didn’t want to be separated.
好吧 你再试试吧 得为她们做点什么
Well, try anyway. One would like to do something for them.
解雇她们是错误的决定
It was wrong, what occurred.
我对此很自责
I’m sorry about it. Very sorry.
-早上好 -早上好
-Good morning. -Good morning, Mr. Stevens.
老爷问起那两个犹太女仆
He asked about the Jewish girls.
-艾尔莎和厄尔玛 -他想知道她们在哪
-Elsa and Irma? -He wondered where they were.
他说解雇她们是错误的决定
He said it was wrong to dismiss them.
我记得您当初跟我一样感到沮丧
I remember you were as distressed as I was about it.
跟您一样
As you were?
您不是认为她们应该被赶走吗
You thought it was right and proper that they should be sent packing.
您这么说我真是太不公平了
Now, really, that is most unfair.
那时我也很不安 非常不安
Of course I was upset. Very much so.
我从不希望发生这样的事
I don’t like that happening here.
我真希望您那时能告诉我
I wish you’d told me so at the time.
知道你和我有一样的感受
It would’ve helped me a great deal
我就会好受多了
if I knew you felt the same way as I did.
你为什么总是把自己的感情藏的很深
Why do you always have to hide what you feel?
-薰衣草袋都弄好了吗 -是的 肯顿小姐
-Have you finished the lavender bags? -Yes, Miss Kenton.
我向您承认
Yes, I take my hat off to you, Miss Kenton.
这女孩确实做的不错 您是对的
That girl’s come along very well. You were right and I was wrong.
-看看你脸上的笑容 -什么笑容
-Look at that smile on your face. -What smile?
这笑容不言而喻
That tells a story in itself.
您不这样想吗 史蒂文斯先生
Wouldn’t you say so?
什么意思
What story’s that?
她长的很漂亮 不是吗
She’s a pretty girl, don’t you think?
是吗
Is she?
我注意到您不雇佣漂亮女孩子
You don’t like pretty girls on the staff. I’ve noticed.
看来是我们的史蒂文斯先生担心因此分神
Might it be that our Mr. Stevens fears distraction?
是不是因为史蒂文斯先生也是血肉之躯
Can it be that Mr. Stevens is flesh and blood after all
怕自己控制不住呢
and cannot trust himself?
你知道我此刻在做什么吗
You know what I’m doing, Miss Kenton?
你在唠唠叨叨的时候 我在神游
I’m placing my thoughts elsewhere while you chatter away.
为什么那种有罪似的笑容还在您脸上
Why is that guilty smile still on your face?
只是因为你的唠叨而感到好笑而已
Not guilty, simply amused by the nonsense you sometimes talk.
绝对是被我说中了 你无法♥正♥眼看她
There is a guilty smile. You can’t bear to look at her.
所以你不想雇她 因为她太漂亮了
That’s why you didn’t want her. She was too pretty.
算你说对了
You must be right.
你总是对的
You always are.
查理
Charlie!
丽兹 你不是应该在整理床铺吗
Lizzie, aren’t you supposed to be turning down the beds?
那你最好快点
Well, you’d better get on with it, had you?
你还没告诉她吗 那你得快点告诉她
Have you told her yet? You’d better get on with it, had you?
我该怎么跟她说 她不会懂的
What can I say to her? She’d never understand about us.
-为什么 -她已经老了 至少30多岁
-Why not? -She’s old. She must be at least 30.
也许她不觉得自己老呢
Perhaps she doesn’t feel that old.
你觉得她经常摘的那些花是给谁的
Who do you think those flowers are for she’s been picking?
过来 给我个吻
Come here. Give us a kiss.
花儿
Flowers.
花儿
Flowers.
你在看书
You’re reading.
这里很暗 你看得见吗
It’s very dim. Can you see?
是的 谢谢关心
Yes, thank you.
你在读什么
What are you reading?
一本书
A book.
我知道 什么样的书
Yes, but what sort of book?
就是一本书 肯顿小姐
It’s a book, Miss Kenton. A book.
什么书
What’s the book?
你难道对自己看的书感到羞愧
Are you shy about your book?
让我看看
What is it?
色情书
Is it racy?
色情书
Racy?
你在看一本色情书吗
Are you reading a racy book?
你觉得老爷的书房♥里会有色情书吗
Do you think racy books are to be found in His Lordship’s shelves?
我怎么知道
How would I know?
是什么书
What is it?
让我看看 让我看看你的书
Let me see it. Let me see your book.
请让我一个人待着
Please leave me alone, Miss Kenton.
为什么不让我看看你的书
Why won’t you show me your book?
现在是我的私人时间 您这是在干扰我
This is my private time. You’re invading it.
是这样吗
Is that so?
是的
Yes.
我在干扰您的私人时间 是吗
I’m invading your private time, am I?
是的
Yes.
书里有什么
What’s in that book?
让我看看
Come on, let me see.
还是说你在保护我
Or are you protecting me? Is that what you’re doing?
怕我被震惊到吗
Would I be shocked?
会给我带来心理阴影吗
Would it ruin my character?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!