好吧 那么责任就落在您肩上了
Well, then, it is entirely your responsibility.
您不是因为那两个德国女孩要辞职吗
Weren’t you leaving because of the German girls?
我不走了
I’m not leaving.
我没地方可去 我没有家
I’ve nowhere to go. I have no family.
我是一个懦夫
I’m a coward.
是的 我是一个懦夫
Yes. I am a coward.
我害怕离开 这是事实
I’m frightened of leaving, and that’s the truth.
我所看到的外面的世界充满了孤独感 这让我害怕
All I see out in the world is loneliness, and it frightens me.
我的做人原则也被压了下去
That’s all my high principles are worth.
我非常地惭愧
I’m ashamed of myself.
您是这个庄园不可或缺的
You mean a great deal to this house.
您对这个庄园非常重要
You’re extremely important to this house.
是吗
Am I?
是的
Yes.
现在 回到正事上
Now, look here
如果您对这个应聘者十分有信心 那么就叫她进来
if you’re really sure about this young woman, call her back in.
豪尔小姐 我们希望您下周开始工作
Miss Hull, we would like you to start next week.
你就跟着肯顿小姐 她会跟你解释这里的规矩
You’re responsible to Miss Kenton. She’ll explain the house rules.
第一条 不能有男性来访者 以及其他的
Number one: no gentlemen callers, or other such.
-是 先生 -很好
-Yes, sir. -Good.
-欢迎来这 -谢谢 先生
-Welcome. -Thank you, sir.
很好 我带你去你的房♥间
Well done. I’ll show you to your room.
劳驾
Hello. Excuse me.
我都忘了老戴姆勒有多么耗油了
I’d forgotten how much petrol the Daimler uses.
我敢说 这辆车绝对不适合外出旅游
It’s an impractical motor to be going about the country, Mister
我是哈里·史密斯 愿您在这里过得愉快
Smith. Harry Smith. It’s a privilege to have you here in Moscombe.
-很荣幸在这里见到您 -为健康干杯
-It’s a privilege to be here. -Your health, sir.
卡莱尔先生经常在这时会过来
Dr. Carlisle usually drops in around now.
他会很高兴见到您
He’d be very pleased to meet you.
他像您一样是个绅士
He’s a gentleman like yourself.
我不知道你们所说的绅士是什么样
I don’t know what you call a gentleman.
这个国家的所有男人都可以是绅士
It’s a name every man in this country has a right to.
这就是哈里·史密斯 他的老掉牙的人生哲学
There’s Harry Smith now, giving you an earful of his philosophy.
我们英国人
We English
擅长于表达自己的自♥由♥观点 所以形成了议会制度
have the advantage and privilege of expressing our opinions freely
这就是跟希♥特♥勒♥打仗的原因
and voting for Parliament. That’s what we fought Hitler for.
您的工作跟政♥治♥沾边吗
Have you had much to do with politics yourself?
不是很多 特别是这两年
Not directly as such, no, particularly in these days.
1930年初以及战前 接触的较多
Perhaps more so in the early 1930s and just before the war.
我大多关注于国际性的事件
My concern was more international affairs.
还有外交政策之类的
Or foreign policy, so to speak.
当然我也不是那种高层人物
Not that I ever held high office, mind you.
我所接触的事情都是一些非官方的事件
No, any influence I exerted was in an unofficial capacity.
请问 先生
Excuse me, sir.
您见过丘吉尔先生吗
Have you ever met Mr. Churchill?
他偶尔会到庄园来 那是在1930年代
He came to the house occasionally. Back, in the early 1930s.
他就是个残暴的战争狂
He was a bloody warmonger!
拜托 哈里 没有他我们赢不了战争
Honestly, Harry! We wouldn’t have won the war without him.
不是说他打德国人
Not content to fight Germans,
而是他竟然派装甲部队去镇♥压♥煤矿工人
he sent troops in against the miners.
他确实在战争中表现出色 但他之后就该退休了
He did well in the war, but he should’ve stepped down.
那么艾登首相呢
And Mr. Eden?
他把苏伊士运河的控制权弄没了
He made a right bugger of Suez!
我见过艾登先生几次
Yes, I met Mr. Eden. Yes, occasionally.
您好 我是理查德·卡莱尔
How do you do? Richard Carlisle.
您的车够倒霉的 但是很高兴见到您
Rotten luck about your car, but nice to have you with us.
大家都很友好
Everyone has been most kind.
这位先生在叙述一些国际性事件
The gentleman was telling he knows foreign affairs.
是真的吗
Is that so, indeed?
都是一些非正式的事件
Yes. In an unofficial capacity.
-他见过丘吉尔首相 -还有艾登首相
-He knows Mr. Churchill. -And Mr. Eden.
真的吗
Really?
是的 这是我的荣幸能够遇到
Yes, well, it was my good fortune to have consorted
这些影响世界历史的人物
with many men of influence from Europe and from America.
泰勒先生
Mr. Taylor
我想去休息了 这一天下来实在很疲惫
I really feel I ought to retire now because I’m feeling rather tired.
这也难怪 先是汽油用完了
No wonder, sir. Running out of petrol
然后还不断地听史密斯说他的政♥治♥观点
then having to hear Smith’s political opinions.
请走这边 先生
Just step this way, sir.
明天早上我也要去史丹布瑞 也许可以载您一程
I’m going to Stanbury in the morning. I’ll give you a lift
路上还可以给您的车加一罐汽油
and we could pick up a can of petrol on the way.
这样会给您带来不便
I’d hate to inconvenience you.
没关系 7点30分可以吗
Not at all. Would 7:30 suit you?
您会喜欢跟卡莱尔先生交谈 请当心楼梯
You’ll enjoy talking to Dr. Carlisle. Watch this step.
请原谅哈里·史密斯
Excuse Harry Smith.
他一直这样说着他的政♥治♥观点 并不是说他不对
He will go on about his politics. I don’t mean he’s not right.
跟希♥特♥勒♥打仗是为了获得民♥主♥
Democracy is why we fought Hitler,
我们也牺牲了很多年轻人
and we lost a few lads in this village
包括我的儿子
including our son here.
在敦克尔克
Dunkirk.
我去给您找条毯子
I’ll get you a blanket.
我在脸盆里留了剃须刀和肥皂
I’ve left a razor and soap on the basin.
去大街上随便找个人 听听他的观点
Listen to the opinions of your man in the street.
他们在政♥治♥上 或是别的什么问题上
They’re perfectly entitled to give an opinion
都有自己的一套观点
on politics or whatever questions
但他们没有资格来评论
They’ve got no qualifications!
他们当然可以评论
Of course they have!
斯宾塞先生有问题要问你
Mr. Spencer would like a word with you.
好心人 我有个问题问你
My good man, I have a question for you.
你是否认为美国的债务形势
Do you suppose the debt situation regarding America
是现在国际贸易减少的主要原因吗
factors significantly in the present low levels of trade?
或者这只是一个假象
Or do you suppose this is a red herring
弃用金本位制才是最根本的原因
and the abandonment of the gold standard is the cause of the problem?
抱歉 先生 我对您的问题无从回答
I’m sorry, sir, but I am unable to be of assistance in this matter.
太遗憾了
Oh, dear. What a pity.
也许你可以回答我另一个问题
Perhaps you’d help us on another matter.
你是否认为
Do you think the
欧洲的货币政策会因为法国和布尔什维克
currency problem of Europe would be alleviated by an arms agreement
的大革命协定而缓和呢
between the French and the Bolsheviks?
抱歉 先生 我对您的问题无从回答
I’m sorry, sir, but I’m unable to be of assistance in this matter.
史蒂文斯 你下去吧
Very well, that’ll be all.
等一下 达林顿
One moment, Darlington,
我还有个问题要问这个好心人
I have another question to put to our good man here.
好心人
My good fellow
你是否认同我们的观点
do you share our opinion
达拉第最近在北非的演说
that M. Daladier’s recent speech on North Africa
其实是一个诡计
was simply a ruse
用来破坏他们国内的人♥民♥阵线
to scupper the nationalist fringe of his own domestic party?
抱歉 先生 我对您的这些问题都无从回答
I’m sorry, sir. I am unable to help in any of these matters.
你们看 他无法回答这些问题
You see, our good man here is unable to assist us in these matters.
但是我们要知道一点
Yet we still go along with the notion
民♥主♥使得我们国家的决策都由
that this nation’s decisions be left to our good man here
像他这样成千上万的大众所决定
and a few millions like him.
就好像让妇联去组织一场战役一样
You may as well ask the Mothers’ Union to organize a war campaign.
谢谢 老爷 谢谢 先生
Thank you, My Lord. Thank you, sir.
您最终证明了你的观点
You certainly proved your point.
-证明终了 -不 你没有证明
-Q.E.D., I think. -No, not at all!
他已经证明了
Oh, yes, he has!
您怎么看镇上的人 都是不错的家伙
What did you make of the citizens of Moscombe? Not a bad bunch.
是的 先生
No, sir.
泰勒夫妇非常好心
Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were extremely kind.
请原谅我的无礼
I say, I hope you don’t think me very rude
您的工作是不是男仆之类的
but you aren’t a manservant of some sort, are you?
是的 您说对了
Yes, sir. I am, indeed.
事实上 我是达林顿府的管家 在牛津郡附近
In fact, I’m the butler of Darlington Hall, near Oxford.
我并不想刻意隐瞒什么
It wasn’t my intention to deceive anyone.
不用解释 我大致能够理解
Don’t explain. I can see how it happened.
达林顿
Darlington.
是不是那个达林顿公爵
Wasn’t there a Lord Darlington involved
推行的姑息政策让我们卷进了战争
in that appeasement business that got us into the war?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!