我想跟她们问个好 练练我的德语
I’d like to say hello to them, practise my German.
-她们的英语也说的很好 -很好 叫她们进来
-They do speak excellent English. -Good. Well, ask them to come in.
这是艾尔莎 这是厄尔玛
This is Elsa and this is Irma.
我在询问她们的旅途是否顺利
I’m asking if they had a good journey.
路途很长 老爷
It was long, my lord.
我问她们是否喜欢这里的天气
I asked what they think about the weather.
我们很感激您 能让我们来这里
We are grateful to you, my lord, for letting us come here.
我们的父母非常感激您
Our parents are very grateful.
不用客气 肯顿小姐会照顾好你们的
Not at all. Miss Kenton will look after you.
-对吧 -当然 老爷
-Would you? -Indeed, my lord.
欢迎来到达林顿府
Welcome to Darlington Hall.
谢谢 老爷
-Thank you, my lord. -Thank you, my lord.
-还有别的事吗 -没了
Will there be anything else?
杰弗瑞先生
Sir Geoffrey.
很高兴见到您
Good to see you.
您好
How do you do?
请进
Well, come in.
-班恩先生 -史蒂文斯先生
-Mr. Benn. -Mr. Stevens.
先生们 在这里等一会
Gentlemen, if you’d like to wait here for a while.
班恩先生
Mr. Benn.
肯顿小姐
Miss Kenton.
您不是在史丹顿府吗
Aren’t you still at Stanton Lacey?
我现在是杰弗瑞爵士的管家
I’m with Sir Geoffrey now.
-您一点也没变 -您上去吧
-You haven’t changed one bit. -Thank you. I’ll let you get on.
-有机会再聊 -期待如此
-Perhaps we’ll meet later. -I hope so.
先生们 你们谈论着犹太人 吉普赛人 黑人等等
But, gentlemen, you speak of Jews and Gypsies, Negroes and so forth.
但是你们也该看到法♥西♥斯♥的种族法律
But one has to regard the racial laws of the Fascists
也是一种公共卫生措施 在我看来
as a sanitary measure, much overdue, in my opinion.
想象如果要在这个国家推行这样的法令
Imagine trying to enforce such a rule in this country
没有一套刑罚体系是不可能的
You cannot run a country without a penal system.
在这里我们称之为监狱
Here we call them prisons.
那里他们称之为集中营
There, they call them concentration camps.
史蒂文斯 这汤里有什么肉吗
Stevens, is there any meat of any kind in this soup?
这是蘑菇汤料 先生
I think it’s mushroom stock, sir.
蘑菇 洋葱以及芹菜 完全没有肉
Mushroom ends and skins, onion and celery. No meat at all.
煮的时候加了点雪利酒
Cold water, and then cook adds sherry.
我听说您的选区里有工党派人士
I hear you have a Labour fellow from your constituency.
但是在德国 他们已经摆脱了工会的束缚
Over there, they’ve got rid of all that trade union rubbish.
没有一个工人会在德国搞罢♥工♥
Believe me, no workers strike in Germany.
每个人都十分遵守秩序
And everyone’s kept in line.
难怪我们的国家在走下破路
No wonder this country is going down the drain.
是从内部蔓延出来的问题
It is internally diseased.
面包块里有黄油 你知道吗
Stevens, I think there may be butter in the croutons. Do you know?
恐怕是的
I’m afraid there may be, sir.
你这里还蛮舒适的
You’ve made a cozy little nest here.
在我看来 你是个十分心满意足的人
Seems to me, Stevens, you must be a well-contented man.
在我看来 贝恩先生
In my philosophy, Mr. Benn
人不能自诩心满意足
a man cannot call himself well-contented
直到他尽自己所能
until he has done all he can
为雇主做到应尽之事
to be of service to his employer.
当然 这要基于这个雇主
This assumes that one’s employer
不仅在地位和财富上更优越
is a superior person not only in rank or wealth
在道德层面也要有高的品格
but in moral stature.
那您怎么看 楼上那帮 品格高尚之人
And in your opinion, what’s going on up there has moral stature?
我希望自己也能像您那样确定
I wish I could be sure.
但我不是
But I’m not.
我听闻一些可疑的事情 非常可疑
I’ve heard some very fishy things, Mr. Stevens. Very fishy.
我什么都没听闻
I hear nothing, Mr. Benn.

Listen.
歌♥声多么动人啊
That’s so touching, isn’t it?
听那些先生们的谈话会让我工作分心
To listen to the gentlemen would distract me from my work.
肯顿小姐
Miss Kenton.
这是新鲜的苏打水
It’s fresh soda.
谢谢
Thank you, Mr. Benn.
跟我们一起喝一杯吧
Would you be joining us for a drink?
多谢好意 但是我明天要早起
Thank you, but it’s very late and I have an early start.
晚安
Good night.
-晚安 史蒂文斯先生 -晚安 肯顿小姐
-Good night, Mr. Stevens. -Good night, Miss Kenton.
漂亮的女人
Good-looking woman.
肯顿小姐
Miss Kenton.
自从她离开史丹顿府 一切都不一样了
It was never the same after she left Stanton Lacey.
六个月后我也离开了那里
I handed in my own notice six months later.
若没有了她 我会不知所措
I’d be lost without her.
在这样一座影响整个世界的大房♥子里
A first-rate housekeeper is essential in a house like this
一个能干的女管家非常重要
where great affairs are decided between these walls.
-早上好 -老爷
-Good morning. -My lord.
我们对待犹太人并没有什么不公
We do the Jews no injustice when we say that the revelation of Christ
犹大背叛基♥督♥既让人不能理解也招致痛恨
is something incomprehensible and hateful to them.
尽管他只是站在人群中的一个人
Though He apparently sprang from their midst
但是他象征着他们的整个族群
He embodies the negation of their whole nature.
犹太人对此比我们更敏感
The Jews are far more sensitive about this than we are.
这种障碍使得欧洲人与犹太人区别开来
This demonstration of the cleft that separates us Europeans from the Jew
并不是为了让种族主义
is by no means given in order to let religious prejudice
往极端方向发展
with its dangerous bias, settle the matter
而是基于这两个种族观念和本质的不同
but because the perception of two fundamentally different natures
所揭示出来的现实的鸿沟
reveals a real gulf.
我们的仆人中有两个难民吧
We have some refugee girls on the staff at the moment, I believe.
是的
We do, My Lord.
两个女仆 艾尔莎和厄尔玛
Two housemaids, Elsa and Irma.
恐怕你得把她们送走
You’ll have to let them go, I’m afraid.
让他们走吗 老爷
Let them go, my lord?
虽然很遗憾 但也是没办法的事
It’s regrettable, but we have no choice.
你必须得顺应大环境
You must see the whole thing in context.
我得为我的宾客们考虑
I have the well-being of my guests to consider.
请允许我说一句
May I say
她们工作的非常好
they work extremely well.
她们很聪明 有礼貌又爱干净
They’re intelligent, polite and very clean.
很抱歉 但我已经仔细考虑过了
I’m sorry, but I’ve looked into this matter very carefully.
我可不想冒这个险
There are larger issues at stake.
我很抱歉 就这么决定了
I’m sorry, but there it is.
她们是犹太人
They’re Jews.
是 老爷
Yes, my lord.
我很惊讶你竟然站在这儿
I’m amazed you can stand there as if
像个没事人似的 难以置信
you were discussing orders for the larder. I can’t believe it!
艾尔莎和厄尔玛被解雇 就因为她们是犹太人
Elsa and Irma are to be dismissed because they’re Jewish?
老爷已经决定了 我和你都无权干涉
His Lordship has decided. There’s nothing for you and I to discuss.
她们没有工作的话 会被送回德国的
Without work, they could be sent back to Germany.
我也无能为力
It is out of our hands.
如果明天您解雇这两个女孩 您就罪过了
I tell you, if you dismiss my girls tomorrow, it will be wrong!
罪过 就像杀人放火一样的罪过
A sin, as any sin ever was one!
这世界上有许多我和你不能理解的事
There are many things you and I don’t understand in this world.
但是老爷懂的多 也权衡过利弊
His Lordship understands fully and has studied the larger issues at stake
关于
concerning, say
犹太种族的本质
the nature of Jewry.
史蒂文斯先生
Mr. Stevens.
我警告您
I warn you
如果她们被解雇
if those girls go
我也辞职不干了
I shall leave this house.
请别这样
Please.
这封推荐信 我不得不说
These references, I have to tell you
是有所保留的
are quite reserved.
你为什么离开上一个雇主
Why did you leave your last employment?
-因为他们不要我了 -为什么
-They didn’t want me anymore. -Why not?
我不知道
I don’t know.
他们就是不要我了
They just didn’t want me anymore.
他们说她工作不错
They say she works well.
请到外面稍等一会
Would you please wait outside?
-她不合适 -没关系 留下她
-She’s unsuitable. -Not at all. I want her.
-我会监督她的 -可她不合适
-She’ll be under my supervision. -She’s not suitable.
她会做好的 我向您保证
She’ll do well. I’ll see to it.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!