我也向您保证 到时餐厅里会跟往常一样
And I am pleased to say there will be no discernible traces left
不会留下任何异样的痕迹
of the recent occurrence by that time.
这句话 到时餐厅里会跟往常一样
I’ll repeat it. There will be no discernible traces left
不会留下任何异样的痕迹
of the recent occurrence by that time.
很精彩 史蒂文斯先生
Wonderful, Mr. Stevens.
谢谢 史蒂文斯先生
Thank you, Mr. Stevens.
精彩的故事
Wonderful story.
我们都该努力做到这一点 处乱不惊
That’s the ideal that we should all aim for. Dignity.
找您的 史蒂文斯先生
It’s for you, Mr. Stevens.
谢谢
Thank you.
是找史蒂文斯先生一世的 史蒂文斯先生
It’s for Mr. Stevens Sr., Mr. Stevens.
谢谢 肯顿小姐
Thank you, Miss Kenton.
玛丽 把他的盘子放到厨师那里去保温
Mary, put Mr. Stevens Sr.’s plate with cook to keep it warm.
是 肯顿小姐
Yes, Miss Kenton.
谢谢您 肯顿小姐
Thank you, Miss Kenton.
不用谢 史蒂文斯先生
Not at all, Mr. Stevens.
史蒂文斯先生 我看到您的扫帚在外面地上
If you’re searching for your dustpan, it is out on the landing.
我的扫帚
My dustpan?
您把它放地上了
Your dustpan. You’ve left it on the landing.
我没用过扫帚
I haven’t used a dustpan.
是吗 那么也许是别人的
Really? It must be somebody else.
我不明白你的意思
I don’t follow you.
是我弄错了 脑子不好使
My mistake, no doubt. One of many.
早上好 先生
Morning, sir.
我邀请了杜邦作为会议上法国的代表
I’ve invited Giscard Dupont D’Ivry as the French delegate.
他才不会来
He’ll never come!
他保证说会来的
I just had word of his acceptance.
杜邦十分针对德国
Dupont is fanatically anti-German.
他在33年日内瓦的演说
I remember his speech given in Geneva in 33′
让我都汗颜与法国站在同一战线
made me ashamed to be an ally of the French.
这绝不是我们英国人的做派
It’s not the English way of carrying on.
当然
No, it is not.
我们这次会议的目的
This is precisely the purpose of our conference,
就是要非正式地讨论国际局势
to discuss these matters informally
绝不是那种国际化的死气沉沉的会议
far from the to-do of an international conference
而是友好地 放松地
in the friendly and relaxed
聚在某个人的家里
atmosphere of one’s home.
我们可以说服法国人接受我们的观点
We may bring round the French to our point of view.
对德国人也是一样
And that of the Germans.
不过我插一句 我们怎样来联合德国人
I’m sorry to interrupt, but how can we associate with the Germans?
那可是纳粹 他们撕毁协议又践踏公约
With the Nazi Party! They have torn up and trampled every single treaty
对欧洲来说是日渐增长的威胁
and are a growing threat to Europe,
更别说德国的独♥裁♥统治了
not to mention a brutal dictatorship.
年轻人 我也曾去过柏林
My dear boy, when I was in Berlin, I saw at last a happy German people
看到的是衣食无忧 热爱自己国家和元首的普通人
with jobs, bread, pride in their country and love of their leader.
那么犹太人呢
And what about the Jews?
史蒂文斯先生 老爷说要把陈列室里的中国人像
What did His Lordship wish to exchange the Chinaman in the cabinet room
放到大厅里来吗
with the one outside the door?
-中国人像 -是的
-Chinaman? -Yes.
原本在陈列室的中国人像就在门外大厅里
The Chinaman from the cabinet room is outside this door.
您自己去看一下
Come and see for yourself.
我现在很忙
I’m busy at the moment.
就把头伸出去您亲自看一下
Will you just pop your head outside this door and see for yourself?
-我等会再去看 -您以为我在胡诌
-I’ll look into the matter later. -You think it’s my fantasy?
因为我缺乏经验所以就胡诌了吗
A fantasy on my part due to my inexperience?
我在这里的事还没忙完 肯顿小姐
I’m busy in this room, Miss Kenton.
那我等着
I shall wait.
就在门外
Outside.
看
Look at it!
-那不是原来在那儿的人像 -我很忙
-Is that not the wrong Chinaman? -I am very busy.
您难道没有别的事可做了吗
Have you nothing better to do than stand around?
您看一下 跟我说实话
Look at the Chinaman and tell me the truth.
把声音放轻点
Keep your voice down.
其他佣人看到我们因为一个人像
What would the other servants think
而大肆争吵 会怎么想
of us shouting about a Chinaman?
那么我就请您
And I would ask you
转过身 看一看那个人像
to turn around and look at the Chinaman.
只是犯了个小错而已
It is a small mistake.
您父亲的工作量超过了他的年纪所能承受的
Your father is entrusted with more than he can cope with.
让我过去
Let me pass.
是您父亲把扫帚放在了楼梯上
Your father left the dustpan on the floor.
他忘记了磨刀具 又把人像搞错了
It is he left polish on the cutlery and it is he confused the Chinaman.
在他犯下大错之前 你要认清现状
Recognize this before he commits a major error!
您不能用这种语气跟我说话
You can’t talk to me like this.
恐怕我不得不这样
I’m afraid I must, Mr. Stevens.
我是在给您提建议
I’m giving you serious advice.
为了他的健康
Your father should be relieved of a number of his duties
必须得给他减轻一些工作量
for his own good.
不论他曾经多么能干
Whatever your father once was,
他现在已经没有那份精力和体力了
he no longer has the same ability or strength.
我感谢您的建议
I thank you for your advice, Miss Kenton.
现在我要继续做我的事了
Perhaps now I can go about my business, Mr Stevens.
我从没想过要打扰您做事
I never meant to keep you from your business.
谢谢
Thank you.
我们要尽快达成一项公约 赶在
It’s vital that we’ve agreed a common policy before the arrival of
在那个法国人来之前 他叫什么来着
your Frenchman. What’s his name?
吉斯卡德 杜邦
Giscard Dupont D’Ivry.
同时我们也将迎来美国代表
We also expect the American delegate
国会议刘易斯 也会在同一天到达
Congressman Lewis, to arrive on the same day.
这个美国人是谁
Who is he, this American?
他是一个未知数
He’s an unknown quantity.
一个年轻的宾夕法尼亚议员
A young congressman from Pennsylvania.
在一些国际会议上也有崭露头角
Sits on some sort of powerful Foreign Affairs Committee.
大概是某个有钱的美♥国♥佬♥的后裔
Heir to one of those American fortunes.
-原来是卖♥♥肉的 -卖♥♥手推车的
-Meatpacking? -Trolley cars?
还是卖♥♥干货的
Or dry goods?
干货是什么东西
What are dry goods?
反正是美国人以此赚了大钱的东西
Something that Americans make a lot of money in.
我认为刘易斯先生的财富是来源于化妆品
No, I think Mr. Lewis’ fortune comes from cosmetics, actually.
是老史蒂文斯
It’s old Mr. Stevens!
拿个靠垫来 还有毯子
Get a cushion, quickly. A blanket!
银器
The silver! The silver!
老爷 对不起
Oh, my lord. Sorry.
你会没事的
You’ll be all right.
谢谢老爷 对不起 出了什么事
Thank you, sir. I’m sorry. What happened?
-他端着盘子 被绊倒了 -我从窗内看到了
-He tripped with the tray. -I saw it from the window.
这以前从没发生过 老爷
This has never happened before.
-我可以打电♥话♥叫医生来吗 -当然
-May I telephone the doctor? -Yes, do.
-对不起 -别担心
-I’m sorry. -Don’t worry.
史蒂文斯
Stevens.
你父亲好些了吗
Your father feeling better?
他完全恢复了 老爷
Yes. He’s made a full recovery, Sir.
很好
Good.
但是
But
我们都不希望那样的事再发生 对吧
None of us wishes to see anything of that sort ever happen again, do we?
我是指你父亲摔倒这事
I mean, your father collapsing.
确实是这样 老爷
Indeed not, my lord.
而且无论何时 无论何地
And it could happen anywhere.
都可能发生
At any time.
听着 第一位外国代表将在两周内到达
The first of the foreign delegates will be here in less than a fortnight.
我们都做了充分的准备 老爷
We are well prepared, my lord.
我毫不怀疑这一点
I’m sure you are.
在这里发生的事情将
What happens within this house could have
对整个欧洲的命运产生影响
considerable repercussions on the course that Europe takes.
这件事意义重大
It means a great deal.
对于我个人来讲也是十分重要
And it means a great deal to me personally.
我有个德国朋友 卡尔·汉斯
I had a German friend, Karl-Heinz Bremann.
我们在战时属于敌对的两边
We fought on opposite sides in the war.
但是我们约定 等战争结束
We always said when it was over,
可以一起坐下来好好喝一杯
we’d sit down and have a drink