-我们还是有点人手问题 -你在信里有提到
-We still have staff problems. -You mentioned it in your letter.
老实说 我也在想回去做女管家
Frankly, I’ve been thinking of going back in service.
很好
Good
但是现在情形变了
But now the situation has changed for me.
如果我要找份工作 我将
If I take up any work, it will have to be
找一份在这儿的工作
here in the west country
因为凯瑟琳 我女儿怀孕了
because Catherine, our daughter, is expecting a baby.
我想待在她身边
So I would like to be near her.
当然
Of course.
然后待在孙子的身边 陪他长大
And to be near our grandchild as he grows up.
-这是自然的 -或者孙女 如果是个女孩的话
-Naturally. -Or her, if it’s a little girl.
多年前我离开达林顿府的时候
When I left Darlington Hall, all those years ago
我并没有意识到是真的离开了
I never realized I was really, truly leaving.
我总想着离开那儿是为了
I believe I thought of it as simply another ruse
让你烦恼
to annoy you.
突然意识到自己已婚 让我很是惊讶
It was a shock to come out here and find myself actually married.
很长一段时间 我都
For a long time, I was
很不幸福
very unhappy.
后来凯瑟琳出生了 一年一年过去
But then Catherine was born, the years went by and one day
然后意识到我爱我的丈夫
I realized I loved my husband.
知道吗 这世界上
You see, there is no one
没有人会像他那般地需要我
no one in the world who needs me as much as he does.
但时不时地
But still there are times
我也会觉得曾犯了一个天大的错误
when I think I made a terrible mistake with my life.
我想我们都会有这样的想法
I’m sure we all have these thoughts
时不时地
from time to time.
人们总是在夜晚亮灯时欢呼
People always cheer when they turn the lights on in the evening.
我想知道为什么
I wonder why.
人们常说
They do say
对许多人来说 夜晚是一天中最好的时光
that for many people, the evening’s the best part of the day.
是他们最期待的时刻
The part they most look forward to.
是吗
Is that so?
您最期待的是什么 史蒂文斯
What do you most look forward to, Mr. Stevens?
首要的是 回到达林顿府
Getting back to Darlington Hall, principally
把人手问题解决掉
and straightening out our staff problems.
您对这些事总是很在行
You were always able to do that.
我想您肯定有很多事情要处理
And you had quite a few to straighten out, as I remember.
总是在工作 工作 更多的工作
Always was work, work and more work
然后依旧会如此 毫无疑问
and will continue to be so, I have no doubt.
史蒂文斯 不用等在那里 这班巴士总是晚点
Mr. Stevens, don’t you wait! That bus is always late.
过来躲躲雨吧
Come in out of the wet.
你要好好照顾自己
You must take good care of yourself.
-你也是 向我保证 -是的 向你保证
-You too, promise me that. -Oh, yes, I promise.
尽可能地让你和你丈夫幸福吧
Do all you can to make these years happy for yourself and your husband.
我们可能再也见不到面了 贝恩夫人
We may never meet again, Mrs. Benn.
所以我以个人名义说
That is why I am permitting myself to be so personal,
请原谅我
if you will forgive me.
谢谢 史蒂文斯
Thank you, Mr. Stevens.
车来了 偏偏今天准点了
Oh, here it comes. It’s on time for once.
谢谢 谢谢你能来
Thank you. And thank you so very much for coming.
你真是太好了
It was so very kind of you.
非常高兴能再见到你
It was so nice to see you.
我也很高兴能再见到你 再见
It was a pleasure to see you again. Goodbye.
当心
Take care.
你吓到我了 你从哪儿蹦出来的
You scared me. Where’d you come from?
你喜欢这件吗
You like the suit?
很好 先生
Very good, sir.
很好
Good.
当心上面的吊灯
Watch the chandelier there.
你真是安排的井井有条 太好了
You’re really getting things going here. This is wonderful!
我不得不叫上镇上的三个姑娘来帮忙
I’ve had to ask another three girls from the village to come up.
我向您保证刘易斯夫人来之前
And I can promise you that the house will be ready
一切都会如期准备妥当
and in shape by the time Mrs. Lewis arrives.
好极了
That sounds good.
下午我要见一个女管家应聘者
I’m expecting a possible new housekeeper this afternoon.
露丝·马斯普拉特夫人
A Mrs. Ruth Muspratt.
有很好的推荐信 她在苏塞克斯做过学校督导
Excellent references. She was matron at a boys’ school in Sussex.
督导
A matron?
听上去好像她会好好监督言行举止
Sounds like she’ll keep us from misbehaving.
-但愿 先生 -好吧
-I certainly hope so, sir. -Good.
很好 史蒂文斯 非常好
Good, Stevens. Very good.
这里是35年会议的那个宴会厅 记得吗
This is where we had that banquet back in 35′. Remember?
我们都站起来 发表自己的观点
We all stood up and delivered ourselves of our principles.
天知道我说了什么 不知道有没有起作用
God knows what I said. Sure got worked up about it, though.
我到底说了什么 史蒂文斯
What did I say anyway, Stevens?
抱歉 先生 我那时忙着做事
I’m sorry, sir, I was too busy serving
没时间听你们的演说
to listen to the speeches.
我们有个访客来了
We got a visitor here.
当心
Be very careful.
过来 小家伙 过来
Come here. That’s a boy. Come on.
慢慢来
Okay. Easy does it.
过来
Come on!
不要去吓它
You don’t want to startle it.
它会下来的
It’ll come down.
我们把窗打开
I think if we leave the window open
很好
Good.
差一点
Very still.
去吧 出去吧
Go on. Out! Come on. Out!
做的好
Well done.
做的好 先生
Well done, sir.