让我看看
Let me see it.
天哪
Oh, dear.
这书一点也不会让人感到羞耻
It’s not scandalous at all.
这只是一本多愁善感的爱情小说
It’s just a sentimental old love story.
是的
Yes.
我读这些书
I read these books
还有其他的书
any books
是为了提高我的英语知识水平
to develop my command and knowledge of the English language.
我读书是为了见多识广 肯顿小姐
I read to further my education, Miss Kenton.
我真心地请求您
I really must ask you, please
请不要打扰我为数不多的属于自己的时间
not to disturb the few moments I have to myself.
请进
Come in.
什么事
What is it?
我想辞职
I’m wanting to give you my notice, Miss Kenton, please.
为什么
Why?
查理和我准备结婚
Charlie and me, we’re getting married.
你仔细考虑过了没
Have you thought about this carefully?
是的 肯顿小姐
Yes, Miss Kenton, I have.
你在这里越做越好
You’ve been getting on very well here
而且有大好的前途
and I think you have a fine career before you if you stick to it.
查理和我准备结婚
Charlie and me’s getting married.
查理和我
Charlie and I.
但愿我知道该怎么对你说
I wish I knew what to say to you.
我见过这样的事很多次了
I’ve seen this happen so many times.
年轻的女士急于结婚 最后落得失望的结局
A young girl rushing into marriage only to be disappointed in the end.
你们有钱吗
What about money?
我们没有钱
We don’t have any.
只要有爱就行
But who cares?
你们慢慢会知道过穷日子是很艰难的
You’ll find it’s not easy to live poor.
但我们有彼此
We have each other.
人生路上不就图一个知心伴侣嘛
That’s all anyone can ever need.
很好
Very well, Lizzy.
如果你确定的话
If you’re so sure.
是的 肯顿小姐
Yes, Miss Kenton.
谢谢
Thank you.
祝好运
Good luck.
我们尽力了
We did all we could for them.
我告诉他
I told him
他将是一个有潜质的副管家
I had my eye on him as a possible under-butler
再过个一两年
in a year or so.
但是他自己的事自己决定
But, no, Mr. Charlie knows best.
她肯定会失望的
She’s sure to be let down.
现在说这些也是无济于事了
No use crying over spilt milk.
况且 我们还有其他重要的事要讨论
Besides, we have far more important matters to discuss.
-下周的会议 -我们非得今晚谈论吗
-Next week’s meeting. Now, must we discuss it tonight?
什么
Sorry?
我很累了
I’m tired, Mr. Stevens.
您看不出来 我今天忙了一整天吗
I’ve had a busy day. Don’t you realize that?
我非常累
I’m very tired.
我非常 非常累了
I’m very, very tired.
你不明白吗
Don’t you understand?
肯顿小姐 我
Miss Kenton, I
我要跟您道歉 我以为
I owe you an apology. I thought
定期在夜间讨论有助于我们白天的工作
these quiet evening talks were useful to our work.
现在看来 对您是一种负担
But now I see that they’re a burden to you.
我只是说今晚很累了
I was only saying I was tired tonight.
不 您是对的
No, no. You’re right.
我们的讨论在一整天之后是一种体力的负担
Our meetings are a burden after a long day.
我们最好还是取消了吧
Perhaps we’d better discontinue them.
讨论很有用 只是今天我太累了
They’re useful. It was only tonight.
感谢您泡的热可可
I thank you for the cocoa.
以后我们在白天讨论吧
In the future, we shall communicate only during the day.
如果可以的话 就用写字条的方式
If necessary, by written message.
祝您晚安
I wish you a very good night, Miss Kenton.
史蒂文斯先生
Mr. Stevens.
我明天要请个假
I shall be taking my day off tomorrow.
9点30分之前我会回来的
I’ll be back in the house by 9:30.
可以
Certainly.
当然
Certainly.
晚安
Good night.
我很高兴能够从庄园出来 我可以告诉你
I’m glad to be out of it, I can tell you.
杰弗瑞爵士和他的黑衫党
There was something about Sir Geoffrey and his Black Shirts
让我心惊胆战的
gave me the creeps.
史蒂文斯先生总说管理庄园
Mr. Stevens says we should run the house
要把自己的私人事务放在一边
and leave the rest where it belongs.
你不同意吧 贝恩先生
You don’t agree, Mr. Benn.
我也是
Nor do I, really.
如果我要表示不喜欢
If I don’t like something,
我就会说 够了 别说了
I want to say stuff it
请你原谅我的用词 肯顿小姐
if you’ll pardon the expression, Miss Kenton.
看来我做管家不像史蒂文斯先生那么专业
But then I suppose I’m not a real professional, like Mr. Stevens.
史蒂文斯先生的一生都是管家
It’s Mr. Stevens’ whole life.
但我不一样
Well, it’s not mine.
告诉你件事情
And to tell you the truth
我不准备回去服侍雇主了
I don’t want to go back in service.
-那你要做什么 贝恩先生 -叫我汤姆
-What would you do instead, Mr. Benn? -Tom’s the name.
汤姆
Tom.
那你准备找份什么样的工作
What employment would you take up?
我准备自己开始做生意
I’d really like to be on my own.
开家小店 卖♥♥报纸和香烟
Start a little shop somewhere, newspapers and tobacco.
或者去西南部的老家开家小旅店
Or a boarding house in the west country, where I come from.
克利夫顿很适合开小旅店 就在海边
Clevedon’s a good place for a boarding house, by the sea.
再喝一点吧
Would I get you another shandy?
已经9点30分了
Well, it’s almost 9:30
拜托
Go on!
今天不是放假嘛
It’s your day off, isn’t it?
你又不是在军队 要踩时点回去
You’re not in the army, due back in the barracks.
-好吧 再来一杯 -很好
-All right, then. -Good.
请再给我半杯
Half a shandy, please.
那你呢 莎拉
What about yourself, then, Sarah?
这个名字太一本正经
That’s a serious sort of a name.
我母亲在世的时候 大家称呼我莎莉
They called me Sally when my mum was alive.
莎莉 很美
Sally. That’s nice.
你想一辈子做女管家吗
Is it your intention to remain in service?
这是一个很好的职业 至少有份工作
It’s a good profession, when you have a position.
史蒂文斯先生说我们很幸运
Mr. Stevens says we’re fortunate
我们不是在谈论他
We’re not talking about Mr. Stevens.
我们是在谈论你
We’re talking about you.
假设
Supposing
有人邀请你去做海边的小旅馆的女主人
someone asked if you’d like to come in on a boarding house by the sea
你怎么想
What would you say?
我不知道
Well, I don’t know.
这是个假想的问题 所以我不会去想
It’s a theoretical question, so I haven’t given it any thought
-贝恩先生 -叫我汤姆
-Mr. Benn. -Tom.
如果这不是个假想的问题
Supposing it wasn’t theoretical
莎莉
Sally?
已经很久没人叫我这个名字了 感觉很滑稽
It’s been years since I’ve been called that. It feels funny.
但感觉很好吧
Nice, though?
是的
Yes.
很晚了
It’s very late.
还有别的事吗 老爷
Will there be anything else, My Lord?
什么
What?
史蒂文斯 没有
Oh, Stevens. No, no.
-谢谢 晚安 -晚安 老爷
-Thank you, Stevens. Good night. -Good night, my lord.
卡迪纳尔先生 晚上好
Mr. Cardinal, good evening.
-你好吗 -很好
-How are you? -Very well, thank you, sir.
-很好 那你妻子呢 -也很好 先生
-Delighted. And your wife? -Very well too, sir.
-你好吗 -很好 先生
-How are you? -Very well, sir.
今天我的安排计划有点混乱
I’ve gone and got myself in a bit of a mess with arrangements.
公爵能让我在这里待一晚吗
Do you think His Lordship would put me up tonight?