I should warn you, for a long time Hanna held herself together.
我得提醒你 很长一段时间汉娜努力支撑着自己
She was very purposeful. In the last few years, she’s different.
她表现得非常坚强 可最近几年她变了
She’s let herself go.
她开始放任自流
I’m taking you straight to the canteen.
我直接带你去食堂
They’ve just finished their lunch.
她们刚刚用完午餐
Table four.
四号♥桌
You’ve grown up, kid.
你长大了 孩子
I’ve got a friend who’s a tailor.
我有个朋友是裁缝
He’ll give you a job.
他会给你找个工作
And I’ve found you somewhere to live. It’s a nice place.
我还给你找了个住处 地方不错
Quite small, but it’s nice.
有点小 但很舒适
You’ll like it. Thank you.
你会喜欢的 谢谢你
There are various social programs, cultural stuff I can sign you up for.
那有很多社区组织 我可以帮你报名参加各种文化活动
And the public library is very close.
公共图书馆也很近
You read a lot?
你读了很多书吧?
I prefer being read to.
我还是喜欢听人念
That’s over now, isn’t it?
可那已经结束了 不是吗?
Did you get married?
你结婚了吗?
I did. Yes, I did.
结了 我结婚了
We have a daughter.
我们有个女儿
I’m not seeing as much of her as I’d like.
我却不能常常见到她
I’d like to see a great deal more of her.
我希望能够多见到她
The marriage didn’t last.
我的婚姻没有维持多久
Have you spent time thinking about the past?
你有想过以前的事吗?
You mean with you? No.
和你在一起的事? 不
No, I didn’t mean with me.
不 我不是指和我一起的事
Before the trial, I never thought about the past.
在审判之前 我从没想过以前的事
I never had to.
我从来没那个必要
Now?
现在呢?
What do you feel now?
你现在怎么认为?
It doesn’t matter what I feel.
我怎么认为根本不重要
It doesn’t matter what I think.
我怎么想也不重要
The dead are still dead.
人死不能复生
I wasn’t sure what you’d learned.
那你究竟学到了什么
Well, I have learned, kid.
孩子 我学到了
I’ve learned to read.
我学会了识字
I’ll pick you up next week, OK?
我下周来接你 好吗?
That sounds a good plan.
听起来不错
We can do it quietly, or we can make a fuss.
我们可以安静地走 也可以大张旗鼓
Quietly.
安静地
OK. Quietly.
好的 安静地
Quietly.
安静地
Take care, kid. You, too. See you next week.
保重 孩子 你也是 下周见
I’ve come to collect Hanna Schmitz.
我来接汉娜·施密茨
Please. Please, take a seat.
请 请坐
She didn’t pack.
她没有收拾行李
She never intended to leave.
她根本没打算离开
“The talk was that a new face
据说在堤岸上
had appeared on the promenade,
出现了一个新面孔
a lady with a little dog.”
一个带小狗的女人
She left me a message.
她给我留了个字条
A sort of will.
算是遗嘱吧
I’ll read the bit that concerns you.
我来读一下提到你的那部分
“There is money in the old tea tin.
我在那个旧茶叶罐里放了钱
Give it to Michael Berg.
把它交给迈克·伯格
He should send it, alongside the 7,000 Marks in the bank,
连同银行里的七千马克 请他转交给
to the daughter who survived the fire.
那场大火里幸存者的女儿
It’s for her.
这钱是给她的
She should decide what to do with it.
由她来决定这钱怎么花
And tell Michael I said hello.”
还有 替我向迈克问好
Ms. Mather? Yes.
玛瑟女士? 是的
You’re Michael Berg. Yes.
你是迈克·伯格 是的
I was expecting you.
我在等你
Please. Thank you.
请坐 谢谢
So you must tell me, exactly what brings you to the United States?
请你告诉我 为什么专程来美国?
I was here already. I was at a conference in Boston.
我是顺便来的 我正在波士顿开会
You’re a lawyer? Yes.
你是个律师? 是的
I was intrigued by your letter, but I can’t say I wholly understood it.
你的信很有意思 但我没有完全看懂
You attended the trial? Yes. Almost 20 years ago.
你参加过那次审判? 是的 差不多20年前
I was a law student. I remember you. I remember your mother very clearly.
我当时是法学院学生 我记得你 你母亲我印象很深
My mother died in Israel a good many years ago.
我母亲很多年前在以色列过世了
I I’m sorry.
对 对不起
Go on, please.
请说下去
Perhaps you heard.
也许你已经听说了
Hanna Schmitz recently died. She killed herself.
汉娜·施密茨最近死了 她是自杀的
She was a friend of yours?
她是你的朋友?
A kind of friend.
算是吧
It’s as simple as this.
其实很简单
Hanna was illiterate for the greater part of her life.
汉娜的大半生都是文盲
Is that an explanation of her behavior?
你这是为她的行为辩解?
No. Or an excuse?
不 或者开脱?
No. No.
不 不
She taught herself to read when she was in prison.
她在监狱里自学了读写
I sent her tapes.
我给她寄录音带
She had always liked being read to.
她一直有 听人朗读的爱好
Why don’t you start by being honest with me?
为什么你不对我坦白点?
At least start that way.
至少开个坦白的头
What was the nature of your friendship?
你们到底是什么关系?
When I was young, I had an affair with Hanna.
当我年轻时 和汉娜有过一段情
I’m not sure I can help you, Mr. Berg.
我想我帮不了你 伯格先生
And
而且
even if I could, I’m not willing to.
即使我能帮你 我也不愿意这样做
I was almost 16 when I took up with her.
我快16岁那年和她在一起
The affair only lasted a summer. But
这段感情只持续了一个夏天 但是
But what?
但是什么?
I see.
我懂了
And did Hanna Schmitz acknowledge the effect she’d had on your life?
汉娜·施密茨明白 自己对你一生的影响有多大吗?
She’d done much worse to other people.
她对别人的影响坏得多
I’ve never told anyone.
我从没告诉过任何人
People ask all the time what I learned in the camps.
人们总是问我在集中营里学到了什么
But the camps weren’t therapy.
可集中营不是诊疗室
What do you think these places were, universities?
你以为这些地方是什么 大学吗?
We didn’t go there to learn.
我们不是上那学习的
One becomes very clear about these things.
对这一点我非常清楚
What are you asking for? Forgiveness for her?
你在要求什么?要我原谅她吗?
Or do you just want to feel better yourself?
还是仅仅让你自己觉得好过点?
My advice? Go to the theater if you want catharsis. Please.
我的建议是 如果你想宣泄罪恶感 请去电影院
Go to literature.
去看文学作品
Don’t go to the camps.
别去集中营
Nothing comes out of the camps.
从集中营你什么也得不到
Nothing.
什么也没有
What she wanted
她的愿望是
What she wanted was to leave you her money.
她只想把她的钱留给你
I have it with me. To do what?
我把它带来了 我要这钱做什么?
As you think fit.
随你做主
Here.

When I was a little girl, I had a tea tin for my treasures.
我小时候也有一个茶叶罐 用来装我的宝贝
Not quite like this. It had Cyrillic lettering.
和这个不太一样 上面有西里尔文的字母
I took it with me to the camp, but it got stolen.
它跟着我去了集中营 后来却被偷走了
What was in it? Sentimental things.
里面有什么? 有纪念意义的小东西
A piece of hair from our dog.
我家那只狗的一撮毛
Some tickets to the operas my father had taken me to.
我父亲带我听歌♥剧的票
It wasn’t stolen for its contents.
它被偷走不是因为里面装的东西
It was the tin itself
而是罐子本身
that was valuable,
它的价值
what you could do with it.
还有用途
There’s nothing I can do with this money.
我无法使用这笔钱
I give it to anything associated with extermination of Jews,
如果我把它用于 和犹太种族屠♥杀♥相关的任何事
then to me it seems
那么对我来说这意味着
like absolution, and that’s something I’m neither willing
一种赦免 而我绝对没有

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!