It wasn’t quite what I was expecting.
和我想象中不太一样
Wasn’t it? In what way? What were you expecting?
是吗?怎么个不一样? 你想象中是什么样的?
I thought it was exciting.
我觉得它很激动人心
Exciting? Why?
激动人心?为什么?
Why did you think it was exciting?
你为什么认为它激动人心?
Because it’s justice.
因为它是正义的
Societies think they operate by something called morality,
社会以为自己是靠道德维系的
but they don’t.
其实不对
They operate by something called law.
维系社会的是法律
You’re not guilty of anything merely by working at Auschwitz.
仅仅是在奥斯威辛工作不会被判有罪
Eight thousand people worked at Auschwitz.
在奥斯威辛工作过的有八千人
Precisely 19 have been convicted, and only six for murder.
其中19个人被判有罪 而谋杀罪名成立的只有六人
To prove murder, you have to prove intent.
为了证实谋杀 必须先核实意图
That’s the law.
这就是法律
The question is never was it wrong,
问题从来不是对与错
but was it legal.
而在于是否合法
And not by our laws, no.
而且所依据的并非我们的法律
By the laws at the time. But isn’t that
而是事发当时的法律 但这是不是有点
What? narrow?
什么? 狭窄?
Oh, yes. The law is narrow.
哦 是的 法律就是狭窄的
On the other hand,
另一方面来讲
I suspect people who kill other people
我怀疑那些杀人者
tend to be aware that it’s wrong.
自己也清楚这是错的
Miss Schmitz, you’re familiar with this book?
施密茨小姐 你熟悉这本书吗?
Miss Schmitz, you’re familiar with this book?
施密茨小姐 你熟悉这本书吗?
Yes. Parts of it
是的 这本书的一部分
have already been read out in court.
已经在法庭上宣读过了
It’s by a survivor,
作者是一位幸存者
a prisoner who survived.
一位幸免于难的囚犯
Ilana Mather.
伊拉娜·玛瑟
She was in the camp when she was a child, wasn’t she?
她小时候在集中营呆过 不是吗?
She was with her mother. Yes.
她跟他母亲在一起对吗? 是的
In the book, she describes a selection process.
她在书里描述了一种挑选过程
At the end of the month’s labor, every month,
每个月的劳动结束时
sixty inmates were selected.
六十个犯人被挑选出来
Picked out to be sent from the satellite camp back to Auschwitz.
从周边的小集中营送返奥斯威辛
That’s right, isn’t it?
这没错吧?
Yes, that’s right.
对 没错
And, so far, each of your fellow defendants
到现在为止 其他几位被告
has specifically denied being part of that process.
都否认自己曾参与这一过程
Now, I’m going to ask you.
现在 我要问你
Were you part of it?
你有没有参与?
Yes.

So you helped make the selection?
那么你?
Yes. You admit that?
是的 你承认这一点?
Then tell me,
那么告诉我
how did that selection happen?
具体是怎么挑选的?
There were six guards,
一共六个看守
so we decided we’d choose ten people each.
我们决定每人挑十个
That’s how we did it every month.
每个月我们都是这么干的
We’d all choose ten.
每人选十个
Your fellow defendants took part in the process?
你是说其他被告也参与了挑选?
We all did.
我们都参与了
Even though they’ve denied it?
即使她们全都否认?
Saying “we,” “we all” is easier than saying “I,” “I alone,”
说 我们 所有人 比说 我 我自己 要容易得多
isn’t it, Miss Schmitz?
不是吗 施密茨小姐?
Did you not realize
你是否明白
that you were sending these women to their deaths?
你要把这些妇女送向死亡?
But they were new arrivals, new women were arriving all the time.
但是有新人来 总有新的妇女被送来
So the old ones had to make room for the new ones.
那么 原来的人就要为新来的腾出地方
I’m not sure you understand We couldn’t keep everyone.
你似乎没弄明白 我们不能把所有人都留下
There wasn’t room. No.
没那么多地方 不
But what I’m saying
我的意思是
Let me rephrase.
我换个问法吧
To make room, you were picking women out and saying,
为了腾地方 你们把妇女们挑选出来 然后说
“You, you and you have to be sent back to be killed.”
你 你 还有你要被送回去杀掉
Well, what would you have done?
那换了你怎么做?
Should I never have signed up at Siemens?
我当初就不该进西门子是吗?
Ms. Mather, they’re ready for you now.
玛瑟太太 你可以进去了
Go, go. Go, go, go.
去吧 去吧
Where’s Michael? I don’t know.
迈克在哪? 不知道
In your book, you describe the process of selection.
在你的书里 你描写了挑选的过程
Yes.
是的
You were made to work and then, when you were no longer any use to them,
妇女们先是做苦工 然后当她们不再有价值
then they sent you back to Auschwitz to be killed.
她们就被送回奥斯威辛杀掉
Are there people here who made that selection?
今天在场的人中有当时参与挑选的吗?
Yes.

I need you to identify them. Can you please point them out?
我需要你来辨认一下 能不能请你指出是哪些人?
Her.

And her.

Her.

And her.

Her.

And her.
还有她
Thank you. Please continue.
谢谢 请继续
Each of the guards would choose a certain number of women.
每个看守会挑选一定数量的妇女
Hanna Schmitz chose differently.
汉娜·施密茨的挑法和别人不同
In what way differently?
哪里不同?
She had favorites.
她有自己的喜好
Girls, mostly young.
专挑女孩子 大都很年轻
We all remarked on it.
我们全在私下里议论
She gave them food and places to sleep.
她给她们食物 还安排睡觉的地方
In the evening, she she asked them to join her.
到了晚上 她 她把她们叫到身边
And we all thought
我们都以为
Well, you can imagine what we thought.
你能想到我们是怎么以为的
And then we found out she was making these women read aloud to her.
后来我们发现她是让这些女孩读书给她听
They were reading to her.
她们都为她朗读
At first, we thought this guard, this guard is
一开始 我们觉得这位看守
more sensitive, she’s more human, she’s kinder.
心思更细腻 更有人性 更善良
Often, she chose the weak, the sick.
她还常挑那些体弱多病的
She picked them out. She seemed to be protecting them almost.
看起来几乎是在保护她们
But then she dispatched them.
可后来她送走了她们
Is that kinder?
这算是更善良吗?
I want to move on now to the march.
下面我们进行到死亡之旅的话题
As I understand it, you and your daughter were marched for many months.
依我的理解 你和你女儿走了好几个月
In the winter of 1944, our camp was closed down.
1944年冬天 我们所在的集中营关闭了
We were told we had to move on. But the plan kept changing every day.
我们被告知要搬走 但是具体安排每天都在变化
Women were dying all around us in the snow.
我们周围的妇女不断死在雪地里
Half of us died on the march. My daughter says in the book,
有一半人死在途中 我女儿在书里说
“Less a death march, more a death gallop.”
与其说死亡之旅 不如说是死亡冲锋
Please tell us about the night in the church.
请告诉我们在教堂的那一晚
That night, we thought we were lucky because we had a roof over our heads.
那天晚上 我们都觉得很幸运 因为不用露宿了
Go on.
继续
We’d arrived in a village.
我们到达了一个村庄
As always, the guards took the best quarters. They took the priest’s house.
与往常一样 看守们住在最好的地方 她们占了牧师的房♥子
But they let us sleep in a church.
却让我们睡在教堂里
There was a bombing raid in the middle of the night.
半夜时有空袭
The church was hit.
教堂被击中了
At first, we could only hear the fire. It was in the steeple.
起初我们只听见轰炸声 从尖塔上传来
Then we could see burning beams
然后我们看见了燃烧的房♥梁
and they began to crash to the floor.
它们开始向地面冲来
Everyone rushed
所有人挤成一团
rushed to the doors.
涌向大门
But the doors had been locked on the outside.
可是门被反锁了
The church burned down? Nobody came to open the doors?
教堂被烧毁了?没人来开门?
Is that right?
是吗?
Nobody.
没人
Even though you were all burning to death?
即使你们都要被烧死了?
How many people were killed?
死了多少人?
Everyone was killed.
所有人都死了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!