I can’t do miracles, but there’s no reason why he can’t cure himself.
-但这就是奇迹,我看到了 -不管是什么,有用就行
– But that was a miracle. I saw it. – Well, whatever it was, it sure helped.
-能和我们一起吃晚饭了吗? -当然,我很乐意
– Enough to come to dinner with us? – Sure, I’d like to come.
-我一整天没吃东西了 -你会来吧,拉里
– I haven’t eaten all day. – You’ll come, Larry.
我很乐意
I’d love to.
-伊莎贝尔,我很多年没和你跳舞了,我想知道我还会不会 -好啊
– You know, I haven’t danced with you for years Esabel, I’d like to find out if I still know how. -We’ll see.
我去拿东西
I’ll go get my things.
你们想喝点什么吗,毛姆先生?拉里?
Oh, would you like a drink, Mr. Maugham? Larry?
这里都有
Everything’s here.
噢你好,你朋友艾略特·谈波登最近还好吗?
Oh, hello. How is your friend, Elliott Templeton?
挺好的
Pretty well, I think.
-那是谁? -诺瓦马利公主
– Who was that? – The Princess Novemali.
噢
Oh.
拉里真是个有意思的人
Funny fellow, that Larry.
这么多年了,他看上去一点也没有变老
He doesn’t look a day older than he did when he left all those years ago.
印度改变了他
India changed him.
-是吗? -在我看来他特别高兴…
– Changed him? – He looks extraordinarily happy to me.
平静,但有一种奇怪的疏离感
Calm, yet strangely aloof.
打扰一下,有火柴吗?
– Excuse me. Do you have a match? – Oh, here.
有
Oh, yeah.
-你取到车了吗? -还没
– Did you get the car? – Not yet.
谢谢
Thanks.
他的舞跳得和以前一样好吗?
Does he dance as well as ever?
没注意
I didn’t notice.
你不会蠢到再次爱上他吧?
You aren’t going to be so silly as to fall in love with him again, are you?
我从来没有停止爱他过,我这辈子从没爱过别人
I’ve never stopped loving him. I’ve never loved anyone else in my life.
婚姻是一件很困难的事情,即使是相爱的时候
Marriage is a pretty difficult job, even when one’s in love.
如果不爱就更难了
I shouldn’t have thought it fun when one is not.
没有爱也能过得很好
One can get on all right without love.
格雷是个好人,你不该伤害他
Gray’s such a good fellow. Be a pity to hurt him.
我绝不会做任何伤害他的事,我很喜欢他,不会那么做的
I’ll never do anything to hurt him. I’m too fond of him for that.
那是你的事,不是我的
Well, it’s your business, not mine.
现在去哪儿呢?Les Ambassadeurs?
Where to now? How about Les Ambassadeurs?
不了,我受够这些漂亮地方了
Oh, no, I’m sick of all these smart places.
所以?
Well?
拉比街怎么样?我还没去过那儿呢
How about the rue de Lappe? I’ve never been there.
至少它会有所不同
At least it will be different.
穿这身衣服去拉比街? -当然,我会穿着外套
– The rue de Lappe in those clothes? – Nonsense. I can keep my jacket on.
-求你们了,肯定会很有趣的 -如果你不喜欢别怪我们
– Please. It’ll be fun. – Don’t blame us if you don’t like it.
如果你不想从窗户里扔进来一瓶酒就把窗帘拉上
Pull down the blinds if you don’t want a bottle through the window.
你自找的,伊莎贝尔,这就是了
You asked for it, Isabel. Here it is.
我不害怕,我喜欢这里
I’m not scared. I like it.
哦,快看
Oh, look at that.
警♥察♥可能随时回来突击检查
The police will probably choose now to raid the place.
那就更让人兴奋了
I should be thrilled to the marrow.
-巴黎的香槟都可以 -好吧,我不…
– Any champagne in Paris is all right. – Well, I don’t–
来吧,看看谁来了
Well, well, look who’s here. .
索菲?
Sophie
不然是谁?
Who’d you think it was?
坐下来,你们都坐下
Sit down. Sit down, all of you.
你好,格雷,坐下来
Hello, Gray. Sit down.
我去给你拿把椅子
I’ll get you a chair, Sophie.
真没想到能在这儿见到你们
Fancy meeting you all like this.
你好,拉里
Hello, Larry.
你好,小棕眼睛
Hi, brown eyes.
你好吗?
How are you?
很渴
Thirsty.
来吧,我们一起喝一杯
Come on, let’s all have a drink.
我认识他们吗?他们是我小时候的朋友
Do I know them? They’re my childhood friends.
谁说我喝醉了?
Who says I’m drunk?
我记得你
I know you.
你当时在芝加哥
You came to Chicago.
有点摆架子,对吧?
Bit of a stuffed shirt, aren’t you?
也许吧
Maybe.
看起来你并不怎么高兴见到我
I can’t say you seem so terribly pleased to see me.
我听说了你在巴黎,索菲
I heard you were in Paris, Sophie.
你可以给我打电♥话♥的,电♥话♥簿里有我的号♥码
You might’ve called. I’m in the phone book.
-是吗? -是的
– Are you? – Yes.
你过得怎么样,索菲?
Having a good time over here, Sophie?
很好
Fine.
你破产了,对吧格雷?
You went bust, didn’t you, Gray?
真够难的
Tough on you.
我想芝加哥现在一定很糟糕吧
I guess it must be pretty grim in Chicago right now.
真幸运我当时离开了
Lucky for me I got out when I did.
酒在哪里?
Where are those drinks?
这里,索菲
Here they are, Sophie.
给你,索菲
Here you are, Sophie.
我可爱的婆家人把我赶出了芝加哥
My loving in-laws kicked me out of Chicago.
说我坏了他们的名声
Said I was gumming up their reputation.
当心,可可,他是那种安静的人,会把你撂倒的
Look out, Coco. He’s the quiet type. He’ll lay you out cold.
-那是你的朋友吗,索菲? -是的,那是我的朋友,伊莎贝尔
– Is that a friend of yours, Sophie? – Yes, that’s a friend of mine, Isabel.
-你现在住在巴黎吗,拉里? -是的,苏菲
– You living in Paris now, Larry? – Yes, I am, Sophie.
你还记得战前那个夏天吗?
You remember the summer before the war?
当然
Sure.
-那时候我们还经常见面呢 -什么时候?
– We saw a lot of each other then. – When?
在你和你妈妈在社交的时候
When you and your mother were being social.
我们以前经常一起读诗,记得吗拉里?
We used to read poetry together. Remember, Larry?
那时你自己也写诗
You used to write some poetry yourself in those days.
写得还不错,是吧?
Pretty good too, wasn’t it?
还不错,对一个孩子来说
Not bad for a kid.
是的,很不错
It was good.
我还是回去找我男朋友吧…
Well, I’d better get back to my boyfriend…
…不然他会又要气疯了
…or he’ll raise the roof.
他是一个容易生气的混♥蛋♥,但也是一个真正的男人
He’s a sulky brute. But quite a man.
没什么事的时候,来找我
Come and see me when you’ve nothing better to do.
我有一箱苏格兰威士忌
I’ve got a case of Scotch.
就到这里了朋友们
So long, folks.
记得再来
Come again.
我每晚都在
I’m here every night.
恐怕刚刚并不是个好场面
I’m afraid that was not a great success.
索菲太令人惊讶了,我的天
Some shock to see Sophie. Boy, was she tight.
-如果还不够糟糕的话 -真是神奇,我也有同样的印象
– If not worse. – That’s funny. I got the same impression.
-你还记得她吗? -印象深刻,我还挺喜欢她的
– Do you remember her at all? – Very well. I liked her.
她的丈夫我也记得
I remember her husband.
没人比他们更疯狂地相爱了
You never saw two people so crazy about each other.
他们当时简直成为了芝加哥人的笑谈
They got to be a regular joke around Chicago.
-到底是为什么呢?-你不知道吗?
– But what happened? – Didn’t you know?
鲍勃和她的孩子都死了
Bob and the baby were killed.
车祸
A car hit them.
-原来是这样啊 -她当时几乎疯了
– Oh, so that’s what it is. – She nearly went crazy.
我们尽了全力去帮忙,但还是无济于事
We did all we could to help, but it was no good.
如果你请她吃饭,她来之前就已经喝醉了,很快就会不省人事
If you asked her to dinner, she’d come in plastered and pass out before the evening out.
-我们只好放弃 -之后她就变得不可理喻了
– At last we simply had to drop her. – She became impossible.
当然,我为她遭受的意外感到非常难过
Of course, it was a shock. I was terribly sorry for her.
但一个正常人总会恢复过来的
But a normal person recovers.
她之所以崩溃,都是因为她本来就不健全
If she went to pieces, it was because she was always unbalanced.
她对鲍勃的爱也非常夸张啊,对吧拉里?
Even her love for Bob was exaggerated. Aren’t I right, Larry?
不,我不同意你,伊莎贝尔
No, I don’t agree with you, Isabel.
她和其他人一样正常
She was as normal as any person I’ve ever known.
而且,我比你更了解她
But remember, I knew her better than you did.
-她爱上你了吗? -当然没有
– Was she in love with you? – Good heavens, no.
她那时还只是个孩子
She was only a kid.
一个头上戴着蝴蝶结的瘦弱小女孩
Just a skinny little girl with a bow in her hair.
我记得有一次,我读济慈的诗时她哭了…
I remember her crying once when I was reading an ode of Keats’…
…因为那首诗太美了
…because it was so beautiful.
那个年龄的女孩就是很感性
Girls of that age are very emotional.
她那时候多好啊
Oh, there was a lot to her in those days.
她身上可能就有济慈所说的…
She had what Keats probably would have called…
…一种可爱的纯洁
…a sort of lovely purity.
司机,可以下一个路口停一下吗,我想下车
Chauffeur, would you stop at the next corner, I wanna get out please.
-你要现在走吗 -我住的地方离这里很近