到底伯鲁瑟想让我做什么
What does Bruiser expect me to do?
发掘案子 找受害人
Get the case. You find the victims.
让他们委托 简李曼斯通律师事务所 替他们打官司
You sign ’em up to the law firm of J. Lyman Stone.
把案子集中起来
Put the case together.
这么说我得去征求别人
So I should solicit?
在法学院他们是怎么教你的
What did they teach you in law school?
嗯 他们并没有教我追着救护车跑
Well, they didn’t teach me how to chase ambulances.
好吧 你最好快点儿学会 否则就要挨饿了
Well, you better learn quick, or you’re gonna starve.
你只要预约一个门诊
All you have to do is ask for a doctor
我们现在就可以为您登记 当然
and we can admit you right here. Sure.
好漂亮的花
Nice flowers.
多谢
Thanks.
维廉姆
William.
狄克 你好吗
How you doing, Deck?
挺好 去346病房♥
All right. 346.
威尔斯大夫
Dr. Wells.
早上好
Morning.
你好吗 有幸见到你
How are you? Good to see you.
别整的像个律师
Don’t act like a lawyer.
哼 请勿入内
Hmm. “Do not enter.”
你好吗 麦克肯兹先生
How you doing, Mr. McKenzie?
我的化验怎么样啦
How are my tests?
该死 钓错鱼了
Gall bladder. Wrong fish.
万蓝德尔先生
Mr. Van Landel.
下午好 万蓝德尔先生
Good afternoon, Mr. Van Landel.
能听见我说话吗 万蓝德尔先生
Can you hear me, Mr. Van Landel?
嗨
Hi.
你是谁啊
Who are you?
我是狄克谢佛来尔 救难的律师
I’m Deck Schifflet, para-lawyer.
你还没有和保险公♥司♥谈过吧 有没有
You haven’t talked to any insurance companies, have you?
没有
No.
很好 不要和他们交谈
Good. don’t talk to ’em
因为他们只是要勒索你
because they’re just out to screw you.
你有没有私人律师
Do you have a lawyer?
没有
No.
我的律师事务所处理的车祸案子
My firm handles more car wrecks
在孟菲斯是最多的
than anybody in Memphis.
保险公♥司♥见了我们就怕
Insurance companies are terrified of us,
而且我们不收一分钱
and we don’t charge a dime.
你能不能等我太太来了再说
Can you wait till my wife gets back?
你太太 万先生
Your wife, Mr. van…
对不起
Sorry.
真对不起 万蓝德尔先生
I’m very sorry, Mr. Van Landel.
非常抱歉
Very sorry.
你太太在哪儿 万蓝德尔先生
Where is your wife, Mr. Van Landel?
她稍等一会儿就会回来
She’ll be back in a little while.
好的 我想在我的办公室和她谈谈
Well, I’m gonna have to talk to her down in my office
因为我需要了解很多情况
because there’s a ton of information that I need.
在这上面签个字吧
Just sign right there.
记住 除了你的大夫之外
Remember, don’t talk to anybody
别与任何人交谈
except your doctor.
来找你的人会有很多的
There are gonna be people coming at you from every direction
向你提供解决方案
offering you settlements.
我不希望你在任何情况下
I do not want you under any circumstances
在我没有审查之前 签署任何文件
to sign anything without me reviewing it first.
听明白了没 我的电♥话♥号♥码 就写在名片上
Understand? My number is on this card.
你24小时都可以找我
You can call me 24 hours a day.
鲁迪拜勒先生的电♥话♥号♥码印在反面
Mr. Rudy Baylor’s number is on the back.
你也可以在任何时候找他 好吗
You can call that number for him any time, OK?
你还有什么疑问吗
Do you have any questions?
没有
No.
很好 我们会帮你讨回一大笔钱的
Good. We’re gonna get you a bunch of money.
我们走吧
Let’s go.
对你的腿 我真是非常抱歉
I’m real sorry about your leg.
请你让我一个人清静一下
I’d like to be alone please.
这就是怎么去做交易的
And that is how it’s done.
小菜一碟啦
Piece of cake.
要是遇到个家伙有自己的律师呢
What if the guy had a lawyer?
我们没做什么承诺
We came with nothing.
如果出于某种原因 把我们赶出门
If he’d have thrown us out of his room
我们也没失去什么吧
for whatever reason, what have we lost?
失去点儿做人的尊严
A little dignity.
也许是自尊
Maybe a little self-respect.
你瞧
You see…
鲁迪 在法学院里
In law school, Rudy,
他们并不教你想学的
they don’t teach you what you need to know.
那里只有理论 玄虚的概念
It’s all theories and lofty notions
再加上大本的道德规范
and big fat ethics books.
道德又有什么不对
What’s wrong with ethics?
我猜 没什么不对吧
Nothing, I guess.
我的意思是 我相信一个律师
I mean, I believe a lawyer
必须为他的委托人去战斗
should fight for his client,
防止钱财被盗去
refrain from stealing money.
并且尽量不骗人
And try not to lie.
你知道的 这是最基本的
You know, the basics.
这样追着救护车找客户 太卑鄙了
That was blatant ambulance chasing.
没错儿 可谁在乎呢
Right, but who cares?
遍地都是律师
There’s a lot of lawyers out there.
这就是市场 这就是竞争
It’s a marketplace. It’s a competition.
法学院没教你的东西 可能会让你受伤的
What they don’t teach you in law school can get you hurt.
你怎么判断律师是否在说谎
How do you know when a lawyer is lying?
他开口就是在说谎
His lips are moving.
律师和妓♥女♥有什么区别
What’s the difference between a hooker and a lawyer?
至少妓♥女♥在你死后 就不会再缠着你了
A hooker will stop screwing you after you’re dead.
大家都喜欢听有关律师的笑话
Everybody loves lawyer jokes,
律师自己就特别喜欢
especially lawyers.
他们甚至以此为荣
They’re even sort of proud of ’em.
谁知道为什么会这样的
Why do you suppose that is?
第三方将辩护
A third party is no defend.
所以控方也可以利用这一点
He may also be used by the plaintiff
去引进第三方证人
to bring in a third party.
你这是在干什么
What the hell are you doing?
噢 我在学习
Oh, I’m studying.
我觉得学习该占用自己的时间
I thought we was gonna study on our own time.
我知道 伯鲁瑟 可是你瞧 先生
I know, Bruiser, but look, man,
下个礼拜要考律师执照了 对不
the bar exam is next week, all right?
就是下个礼拜
It is next week.
我有点儿担心 先生
I’m scared, man.
嗨 鲁迪 瞧 你想学习
Hey, Rudy, look, you want to study,
为什么不能跑到医院去学
why don’t you run over to the hospital
跟狄克学习
and study with Deck?
我不想从那方面学
I’m not gonna study with…
我不想跟着狄克学
I’m not gonna study with Deck.
不错 我这里有个警♥察♥的报告
Yeah, I got a police report here.
我们能做这个受害人的代理人吗 雷科女士
Do we represent her, this victim here?
嗯 还没有
Well, not yet.
那为什么你不能跑到医院去看看
Why don’t you run down to the hospital and check it out?
也许你能得到她的委托
Maybe you could sign her up.
你能替我弄点饮料来吗
Would you get me a soda?
当然 亲爱的
Sure, darling.
你要的饮料来了
Here you go.
这些伤都是从哪儿来的
Where did this all come from?
你想告诉他们
Are you gonna tell them where
这些伤是怎么来的吗
all this stuff came from?
在我注视他们那一刻
I know what’s going on
我知道这事是怎么发生的
the second I lay eyes on them.
就如同我十岁大时
Like I’m 10 years old,
我父亲在卧室里哭
my father crying in the bedroom,
我母亲满脸是血
my mother sitting at the kitchen table
坐在餐桌旁
with blood all over her face