-Sure. -Come to room 6.
我们有办法对付这群混♥蛋♥啦
There’s an advantage to dealing with pimps and thieves.
在卡尔曼德索托 起诉红宝石俱乐部的案子里
In the case of Carmine De Soto vs. The Club Ruby,
有好多的窃取而来的证据
there are reams of stolen evidence.
布鲁泽自己搞的这个案子
Now, Bruiser worked on this stuff himself.
现在不行 我得走了
Not now. I got to go.
你要走
You got to go?
巨大福利公♥司♥的首席执行官明天就要来了
You got the CEO of Great Benefit coming in tomorrow.
我说 我们得给他好看的
We… we got to nail this guy, come on.
祝你好运 凯莉
Good luck, Kelly.
谢谢
Thanks.
我和地区检察官谈过了
I met with the D.A.
她不打算起诉
She’s not gonna prosecute.
她认为你没有罪
Said she’d never get a conviction.
这只是自卫 凯莉
It was self-defense, Kelly.
控方打算传召维尔佛莱德奇利上庭作证
The plaintiff would like to call Wilfred Keeley to the stand.
请举起你的右手
Raise your right hand, please.
你愿意庄严宣誓
Do you solemnly swear that the testimony
你在此所作证供
you’re about to give in this cause
全是事实
will be the truth, the whole truth,
并无丝毫虚言吗
and nothing but the truth, so help you God?
是的
I do.
你可以作证了
You may take the stand.
请告诉法庭你的名字 以便记录
State your name for the record.
维尔佛莱德奇利
Wilfred Keeley.
我可以上前询问证人吗
May I approach the witness, your honor?
批准
You may.
奇利先生 呃 在这个巨大福利公♥司♥的册子里面
Mr. Keeley, uh, in this Great Benefit brochure,
这个是不是你 这是你的名字吗
is that you? Is that your name?
是的
Yes.
那这些缩写指什么
And what do those initials stand for?
你是说CEO
CEO?
是的 它们指什么 CEO 指什么
Yeah. What do they stand for? What does “CEO” mean?
首席执行官
Chief executive officer.
首席执行官 谢谢你 谢谢你
Chief executive officer. Thank you, thank you.
就是说 你是你是头儿了
So you’re the… you’re the guy.
你是主要人物 你说了算
You’re the main guy, you’re the cheese.
权力由你掌控
The buck stops with you.
是的 你可以这么说
You could say that, yes.
是吗 好 谢谢你
Yeah. OK. Thank you.
呃 法官大人 我希望把询问奇利先生的权利
Uh, your honor, I’d like to turn the questioning
交给我的合伙人鲁迪贝勒
of Mr. Keeley over to my partner Rudy Baylor.
你疯了吗
Are you out of your mind?
你还没有执照呢
You don’t have a license.
我有的选吗 你干嘛去了
I didn’t have a choice. What are you doing?
你迟到了
You’re late.
早上好 法官大人
Good morning, your honor.
对不起 我来晚了
Sorry I’m late, sir.
请求上前询问证人 法官大人
Approach the witness, your honor?
批准
You may.
这是杰琪莱曼切克给我的理赔手册
This is the claims manual that was given to me by Jackie Lemancyzk.
反对 法官大人
Objection, your honor.
窃取的文件不足为凭
Stolen work papers. Inadmissible.
您已经说过了
You ruled on this.
反对有效
Sustained.
我们可以上前说话吗
May we approach?
我想这个问题已经裁定了 法官大人
I thought this matter was already settled, your honor.
法官大人 我刚找到了一个
Your honor, I just this morning found a case that is controlled
类似案例
in this factual situation.
是什么
What do you have?
如果你看看这个判决
If you’ll just take a look at this ruling.
是关于卡尔曼德索托和红宝石俱乐部的案子
It’s Club Ruby vs. Carmine De Soto.
我给您和德拉门德先生都复印了一份
Copy for your honor and one for Mr. Drummond.
585号♥案 西南部第二上诉法庭 第431页
Number 585, southwest second, page 431,
由布鲁泽 不 由小莱曼斯通事务所辩护
argued by Bruiser… by J. Lyman Stone.
这里面清楚地表明
And it shows very clearly
窃取而得的文件 事实上 是可以接受的
that stolen documents are, in fact, admissible
只要该文件并非由律师窃取的即可
if the lawyers played no part in the theft.
嗯 根据这个案例
Well, according to these head notes,
你的反对无效
this case will overrule your objection.
对不起 立奥
Sorry, Leo.
好吧 我想你是对的 法官大人
Oh, I’m sure you are, your honor.
但请记录下来我对此强烈反对
But note my strong objection.
你的反对已经被记录了
Objection noted.
我可以上前询问了吗
May I approach?
可以
Do so.
呃 法官大人
Uh… Your honor…
法官大人 我很抱歉
Your honor, I’m sorry.
对不起 让您久等了 奇利先生
Excuse the interruption, Mr. Keeley.
我们得谈谈这个
We were about to talk about
巨大福利保险公♥司♥的理赔手册
the Great Benefit claims manual.
这是一份完整的手册吗 先生
Is that a complete Great Benefit claims manual, sir?
是的
Yes.
其中有第U项吗
Does it have a section “U”?
是的
It has a section “U” in it.
那我们谈谈这个神秘的第U项 好不好
Well, let’s talk about this mysterious section “U.”
你干嘛不向陪审团解释一下呢
Why don’t we explain it to the jury?
我们来看一看
Take a look at it.
请读出第三段
Just read paragraph 3.
理赔审核员应该在接到任何申请三日内
Claim handlers are directed to deny all claims
毫无例外地 拒绝赔付
within 3 days of receipt of claim. No exceptions.
你怎么解释这第U项
Now, how do you explain this section “U”?
这个嘛 我们有时会收到一些
Well, sometimes we get some frivolous
无意义和虚假的索赔
and fraudulent claims in our business,
有时 我们用这一方法
and sometimes we have to use this kind of language
使我们可以更关注那些
to focus in on the legitimate
合法和必需的赔付
and more needy claims.
奇利先生 你真的认为本法庭
Mr. Keeley, do you honestly expect this court
会相信你这个解释吗
to believe that explanation?
这一段不过是段
Well, this chapter merely denotes
内部处理指示而已
in-house processing guidelines.
内部处理指示
In-house processing guidelines.
不 奇利先生 事实并非如此
No, Mr. Keeley. No, it does not.
第U项所作的远不只如此而已
Section “U” does a lot more than that.
孩子 我可不这么认为
I don’t think it does that, son.
奇利先生 这里面是不是很明确的指出了
Mr. Keeley, doesn’t it explain precisely
申请应该怎么被传递 推诿 再传递
how claims should be routed and shuffled and rerouted,
用尽各种方法 就是为了拒绝赔付
anything to avoid payment?
我没看到
I admit nothing.
法官大人 请求上前询问证人
Your honor, approach the witness?
批准
You may.
那么 奇利先生
Now, Mr. Keeley,
在1995年 巨大福利公♥司♥有多少份保单生效
how many policies did Great Benefit have in effect in the year 1995?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我们来看看怎么样
Well, let’s see.
9万8千份 这个数字是否正确
Does the figure 98,000 sound correct, give or take a few?
差不多吧
Maybe.
可能就是这么多 是的
That could be right, yeah.
谢谢
Thank you.
好 那么在这些保单中 有多少人提出了索赔
Now, of these policies, how many claims were filed?
这个 这我不知道
Well, I don’t… I don’t know that.
1万1千4 对不对
Does the figure of 11,400 sound correct to you,
多还是少了
give or take a few?
可能对吧
That’s about right,
但是 我得确认一下才行
but I’d have to verify it, of course.
哦 我懂了 就是说我要的信息
I see. So the information that I want
都在那本书里了
is right there in that book?
是的
Yes.
那你可不可以告诉陪审团
Can you tell the jury
在这1万1千多份索赔申请中
of the 11 some odd thousand claims filed,
有多少份被拒绝了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!