This is that good processed Turkey.
我 我得去法庭了
Well, I gotta get back to court.
我已经迟到了
I’m late. I gotta get back to court.
你的三明治怎么办
What about your sandwich?
我边走边吃吧
Oh, I was gonna take that with me.
好吧
Good, good.
待会见
I’ll see you later.
再见
OK?
怎么样了
How’d it go?
克立佛去吃午饭时 我把文件给他了
I served the papers on Cliff when he was on his way to lunch.
他说他要打架
He didn’t take it too well,
我说 打群架的人我有的是
but I said I was ready to rumble.
他就软了
He backed down.
不过 老兄 你最好小心点
Hey, man, you better watch your back.
好的
All right.
谢谢你 布奇 非常感谢
Thanks a lot, Butch. I appreciate it.
你庄严宣誓
Do you solemnly swear
你下面要做的证供
that the testimony you’re about to give in this cause
全部都是事实
will be the truth, the whole truth,
没有丝毫谎言吗
and nothing but the truth, so help you, God.
是的 我宣誓
Yes, I do.
你可以作证了
You may take the stand.
请告诉法庭你的名字 以便记录
Please state your name for the record.
玛嘉丽布莱克夫人
Mrs. Margarine Black.
好 布莱克夫人
Now, Mrs. Black,
你是丹尼雷布莱克的母亲
you are the mother of Donny Ray Black,
你儿子是否最近因白血病而死去
who recently died of acute myelocytic leukemia
而这些都是因为被告 巨大福利保险公♥司♥
because the defendant, Great Benefit…
反对
Objection.
诱导证人
Leading.
反对有效
Sustained.
你的儿子
Your son,
-丹尼雷 需要做手术 -反对
-Donny Ray, needed an operation. -Objection.
诱导证人
Leading.
反对有效
Sustained.
布莱克夫人 你买♥♥这个医疗保险
Mrs. Black, did you purchase this medical policy
是不是想要为你的儿子提供医疗保障
because you were concerned about medical care for your son?
反对
Objection.
对不起 法官大人
I’m sorry, your honor.
诱导证人
Leading.
贝勒先生
Mr. Baylor,
你干嘛不出示一下保单
why don’t you show the policy
然后问问她 干嘛要买♥♥这个
and ask her why she bought it?
好的
OK.
贝勒先生
Mr. Baylor.
你必须先得到许可 才能上前询问证人
You must ask to approach the witness.
对不起 法官大人
Sorry, your honor.
我请求询问证人
Permission to approach the witness.
批准
You may.
放轻松点
Take it easy.
放轻松点
Take it easy.
巨大利益保险公♥司♥ 1996年7月7日
Great Benefit. July 7, 1996.
回复 7849909886号♥保单
Policy 7849909886.
亲爱的布莱克夫人
Dear Mrs. Black,
本公♥司♥已经7次
on 7 prior occasions
以书面方式拒绝了你的赔付要求
this company has denied your claim in writing.
这是第八次拒绝 也是最后一次
We now deny it for the eighth and final time.
你实在是蠢 蠢 蠢
You must be stupid, stupid, stupid.
诚挚的 埃佛莱特拉佛金
Sincerely Everett Lufkin,
理赔部副总经理
Vice President, Claims Department.”
请再读一遍
Read it again.
反对
Objection.
无意义的重复 法官大人
Repetitious, your honor.
反对有效
Sustained.
我问完了
I tender the witness.
德拉门德先生
Mr. Drummond.
法官大人
Your honor.
请收起那个投影
Please remove that exhibit.
现在 布莱克夫人
Now, Mrs. Black.
把它关掉
Turn it off.
布莱克夫人 你为什么要控告巨大福利保险公♥司♥
Mrs. Black, why did you sue Great Benefit
索赔1000万美元呢
for $10 million?
就这么点吗
Is that all?
对不起 您说什么
I beg your pardon.
我认为该索赔更多呢
I thought it was more than that.
是吗
Is that so?
是的 先生 你的委托人有十亿美元
Yes. Your client has about a billion dollars,
而且你的委托人杀了我的儿子
and your client killed my son.
我打算索赔更多
I wanted to sue for a whole lot more.
你拿这笔钱打算怎么办
What would you do with the money?
如果陪审团判给你1000万
If this jury awards you $10 million,
你打算怎么花
what you gonna do with the money?
我会把它们捐给美国白血病研究学会
I’m gonna give it to the American leukemia society.
全部捐掉
Every cent.
我不要你的臭钱
I don’t want a dime of your stinking money.
请注意你是宣誓过的 布莱克夫人
Realize you are under oath, Mrs. Black.
请求上前盘问证人 法官大人
Approach the witness, your honor?
批准
You may.
布莱克夫人 我希望你可以读一下保单
Mrs. Black, I want you to read from the policy.
第16页 第K项 第14段 第E款
Page 16, section “K,” paragraph 14, item “E,”
保险公♥司♥
in which the insurance company
用浅显的英语说
has in plain English wording said
它不负责赔付实验性治疗
that it will not pay for experimental procedures.
你的起诉书中说
Now, your lawsuit says
如果你的儿子接受骨髓移植
that your son would have been saved if he had had
他就能够得救
a bone marrow transplant.
布莱克夫人
Isn’t it a fact, Mrs. Black,
美国每年这种骨髓移植
that there are only 7,000
只有七千次
bone marrow transplants performed a year in the United States?
而田纳西州只有不到200次
Less than 200 in the state of Tennessee?
反对 法官大人
Objection, your honor.
他诱导证人
He’s leading the witness.
这是在互证 诱导是允许的
This is cross-examination. Leading is allowed.
就诱导而言
Overruled,
反对无效
as to leading.
所以这不是保单赔付范围
So it was not covered by the policy.
还有 布莱克夫人
Now, Mrs. Black,
谁是
who was it, uh…
谁第一个诊断你儿子病情的
Who was it first diagnosed your son’s condition?
最开始
Well, at the very beginning,
是贝奇医生
our doctor, Dr. page.
你的家庭医生
That would be your family physician?
是的 先生
Yes, sir, it would.
他是个好医生吗
Is he a good doctor?
他是个很好的医生
He’s a very good doctor.
那么 布莱克夫人
And is it not true, Mrs. Black,
这个诚恳而能力卓著的医生
that this capable, truthful man
是不是反复告诉过你
told you repeatedly that a bone marrow transplant
因为你儿子所患的白血病类型特殊
would do your son no good
骨髓移植对你儿子的病情不利
because of the type of leukemia he had?
不 没有
Well, no.
他没有说过
No, he did not.
他没这么说过
He didn’t say that.
他不是那么对我说的
Not like that, to me.
请求上前询问证人 法官大人
Approach the witness, your honor?
批准
You may.
布莱克夫人 这是不是贝奇医生的信签
Mrs. Black, is this not Dr. page’s letterhead?
他是不是在底下签字了
And at the bottom there, is that not his signature?
他不能这么做
He can’t do that.
为什么
Why?
因为他不能这么