Veronica. You’ll be right here next to me.
理查德
Richard.
不 不 恐怕座位太挤了
Uh, no, no, no. Tight Quarters, I’m afraid.
他可以坐到那边去
He’ll be somewhere in the back.
大家好
Hello, everyone.
抱歉 为什么理查德不坐这张桌子
Um, sorry, why isn’t Richard sitting at this table?
向你们保证 今晚的座位安排
I can assure you that there has been a great deal of thought
是经过深思熟虑的
that’s going into the seating arrangements.
什么
What?
没了 死了
Dead, gone.
哦 太可怕了 什么原因
Oh, that’s horrible. What was it?
恐怕是黑色素瘤
Oh, melanoma, I’m afraid.
欢迎这位年轻人
Oh. Oh, welcome, young man.
那他家人呢
And the families?
说实话
Honestly,
-你不会想知道的 -有那么可怕吗
– you don’t wanna know. – Oh, really?
趁大家用餐时间
While everyone’s being served,
我想说几句话
I just wanted to say a couple words.
我代表自己和我迷人的妻子 欢迎大家
On behalf of both myself and my lovely wife, welcome.
很荣幸能请到各位
It’s an honor to have each
来参加今晚的宴会
and every one of you here tonight.
相信大家也跟我一样
Now, I know I’m not alone when I say that this quarter
度过了非常愉快的一个季度
may have been our very best.
能够有这么一个机会
And the opportunity to serve,
担任校长
as your president and chancellor,
我深感荣幸
has been nothing short of humbling.
因此 非常感谢你们
So thank you.
希望大家
I can only hope
能够达到各自♥制♥定的最终目标
to live up to the high standards that you have set.
干杯
Cheers.
现在 夜幕初降 请大家用餐
Now, let us eat for the night is young.
讲得很好
Oh, that was a lovely speech.
非常好
Beautiful.
真的吗 你吃这一套
Did you actually buy that shit, really?
你说什么
Excuse me?
你是在信息部吗
Are you in the communications department?
我有些话想要说
I have something that I would like to say.
你可以停一会儿吗
Could you stop playing that
在我把刀往那边扔之前
before I heave this knife in your direction?
谢谢
Thank you.
拿着酒瓶的那位年轻女士
Uh, young lady with the wine, would you mind
可以站在我旁边不要离开吗
just standing right by my side, and never leave?
因为我有很多话要讲
Because I have much to say
-还有很多祝词要说 -我的天
– and many to toast. – Oh, my God.
在场不认识我的人 我叫理查德·布朗
Those of you who do not know, my name is Richard Brown.
英文教授
Professor of English.
敬自己一杯
Oh, uh, cheers to me.
干杯
Cheers.
为理查德干杯
Cheers. To Richard.
亨利·怀特 我代表在座的每一位
Henry Wright, on behalf of every one of us here,
表达我们的感激之情
let me, please, express our gratitude,
为这美好的强迫前来的夜晚
for this finely forced evening.
你对学生 教职人员
The commitment that you have shown
甚至教职人员的妻子所作出的奉献
to the students, faculty, even the wives of the faculty…
令人印象非常深刻
…is very, very impressive.
你超越了自我
You’ve outdone yourself.
实践出真知
And it shows.
就我而言 三个卵蛋
As far as I’m concerned, three balls…
值得敬三次
deserves three cheers.
好了 理查德 我想这应该够了
All right, Richard, I think that’s enough.
亨利 别打断我说话
Henry, do not interrupt me while I’m talking.
尤其当着这么多人的面
Particularly in front of so many people.
-你懂吗 -不 我不懂
– Do you understand? – No, I don’t understand.
你懂
Yeah.
没人能有三个睾丸
Nobody has three testicles.
敬皮特·马修一杯
To Peter Matthew.
他该闭嘴了
Gotta shut up.
你拥有一颗金子般的心
Your heart is truly one of gold.
-没错 -这所大学
– It is. – And this college is…
能有你在非常幸运
very lucky to have you.
感谢你一直以来的努力
Of course, thank you for your hard work.
最重要的是 感谢你
But most important, thank you
能够成为我真正的好朋友
for being a true friend.
敬皮特 干杯
Oh, to Peter, cheers. Cheers.
敬皮特
To Peter.
我觉得我还欠你们一些道别的话
Also there are some parting words that I feel like I owe.
因为这将会是我最后一次见到你们
Because this will be the last time that I ever see any of you.
不仅因为我得到了学术休假
For not only have I been awarded a sabbatical, um…
他怪怪的
This is strange
我快要死了
…I’m gonna die.

Yeah…
我快要死了
I’m gonna die,
死的要比我预想的快得多
and I’m gonna die much sooner than I had imagined.
噢 我的天呐
Oh, my goodness.
我懂 亲爱的
I know, dear.
-他在说什么 -嘘
– What is he talking about? – Shh.
因此 在为未来做准备时
So in preparing for what lies ahead,
我开始意识到 在生命的大部分时间里
I’ve come to realize that for much of my life,
我一直都错了
I’ve been mistaken,
我失败了
and I failed.
不仅没能理解人必有一死的事实
I failed, not only to comprehend my mortality,
也没能珍惜这短暂的生命
but I’ve failed to appreciate it.
结果就是
And as a result,
我没能充分利用我的生命
I’ve failed to make the most of my life.
维罗妮卡 你是个运动健将
Veronica, you’re one hell of a sport.
是个值得尊敬的对手
You are a very worthy adversary.
很骄傲
Proud…
能称你为妻子
to have been able to call you my wife.
因为没有你的生活
Because life without you would’ve been, uh,
将失色很多
far less rich.
因此 我感谢你
And for that, I thank you.
无论如何
For whatever it’s worth…
我爱你
I love you…
深深地爱你
deeply.
我知道
Yeah.
我们已经背弃了
We’ve turned our backs on the most important duty
我们最重要的职责
that we possess,
那就是过富有经验的生活
to live a life that is rich in experience
这是我们自己选择的
that’s of our own independent choosing.
抓住你的存在感 伙计们
Seize your fucking existence, folks.
为何不把死亡当成我们最亲密的伙伴呢
Why don’t we make death our closest fucking companion,
这样我们才能有那么一秒钟
so that we can finally have a second,
一毫秒的时间去珍惜
a millisecond to appreciate
我们仅剩的那一点点时间
that little bit of time that we have left.
最最重要的是
And most important of all,
活 就要活得精彩
let us live well,
死 就要死得痛快
so that we may fucking die well,
因为我们从未像现在这样
because we’ve never been so close to death
离死亡如此之近
than this very moment.
干杯
Cheers.
该死 理查德 那可是水晶杯
Dammit, Richard. Those are crystal.
第五章
是时候了
非常抱歉
I’m so sorry
以这种方式告诉你
that you had to find out like that,
我只是
and I just didn’t…
说实话 我不知道该怎么跟你说
I mean, I honestly didn’t know how to tell you.
我害怕了
I was scared.
你打算怎么办
What are you gonna do?
我要离开了 甜心
I’m gonna leave, sweetheart.
那正是我打算做的事情
That’s exactly what I’m gonna do.
请你 一定试着重新寻找幸福

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!