但你还有别的办法么
But what other way is there?
杰尔先生 我就是办法
My way, Mr.Gell.
默里先生
Mr. Murray,
我们都看着呢 时刻关注
We are watching. With a concerned eye.
看着吧 会让你们大吃一惊的
Watch, then. And be amazed.
我找不到方向了 上帝 你会帮我吗
Will you God, help me. I’m lost.
先生
Sir
先生 先生
Sir, sir.
– 怎么了 – 绝对的奇迹
– What? – It’s a miracle.
– 难以置信 – 淡定 兄弟 慢慢说
– It is impossible. – Calm down, man, spit it out.
是Approve先生 成了
“Approve”, sir. It’s complete.
成了
Complete?
先生 你是对的
You were right, sir.
通过这个例子其他人不允许违反
“Others who approve not to transgress by the example.”
出自弥尔顿的《失乐园》
Milton, Paradise Lost.
你找到了
You found it.
不 不是我们找到的 你还是看看这个
No. Not us. You’d better read this.
我怀着自豪的心情毛遂自荐为志愿者
“With a great sense of pride I offer myself up as a volunteer.”
先生 请继续读下去
Please, sir. Read on.
随信附上一千个单词
“Enclosed, please find one-thousand word
以及他们的在古籍及经典文学
slips with corresponding quotations
中的引文
from the height and depth of literature.
我发明了一个窍门 一种字典的字典
I have derived a key, a type of dictionary within a dictionary
通过这个可以收集单词并添加引文
that allows for the amassing of words with addended quotations.
我的请求很简单 为你分忧
My request is simple. To make your burden light.
回信给我
Write to me.
告诉我现在哪些单词已经
Tell me what specific words at present
在你手中大放异彩 又有哪些依旧灰暗
shimmer and fade at your grasp.
就让其他贡献者
Let useful others
在单词的海洋里广布大网吧
troll the oceans with their nets cast wide.
我就在这垂起钓竿 当你想召唤我
I shall throw my line and pluck the very quotes that evade you
就将令你头疼的词挂在勾上
when you call upon me to do so.”
1667 弥尔顿 《失乐园》
1667 Milton “Paradise Lost”.
你最真挚的朋友
“Very truly yours
W.C. 迈纳,克劳索恩, 伯克郡.
W.C. Minor, Crowthorne, Berkshire.”
都在这了
It’s all there.
他把Approve在17世纪和
He’s given us “Approve” in the 17th and the
18世纪的引用都帮我们找出来了
18th centuries.
– 有Art吗 – 没 但有很多别的
– And Art? – Not that one. But so much else.
都是字母A打头的 都是我们
All in the “A”s, all words we’re working on and
正在整理的 并且 粗看下来都很有用
at first glance, all of it usable.
上帝给我们送来了一位救世主
God has sent us a savior.
现在我们所要做的就是完善他的工作
Now all we have to do is trying to keep up with him.
谢谢你 霍尔先生
Thank you, Mr. Hall.
让我们好好看看剩下的引文吧
Let’s take a good look at the rest of these slips.
你可能无法想象您援助的有力和及时性
“You cannot fathom the impact of both your offer and your timing.
我满怀感激的接受您的帮助
I am your grateful recipient.
在我们有幸见面之前 就让纸和笔墨成为
Let paper and ink be our flesh and blood
我们之间联♥系♥的纽带吧
until we are privileged to meet.
随信附上目前正令
Enclosed is a list of words that, at present, are
我们头疼的单词表
eluding us.
Art这个词尤其麻烦
The word ‘Art’ is proving particularly troublesome
另附上你要求的
Enclosed you will find the
引文
quotations that you have requested.
在考虑Art这个词时 我想起
In pondering ‘Art’, I am reminded of the words of
有个与我们同时代的伟人曾说
a great man of our time who said
约翰·拉斯金 英国作家、艺术家、艺术评论家
所有伟大且美丽的事物都来源于
‘All great and beautiful work has come
惊鸿一瞥后
of first gazing
没有被丢弃到黑暗中
without shrinking into the darkness.'”
可以摘了吗 先生
May I, sir?
我已经太久沉浸在黑暗中了
“I have been much acquainted with that darkness.
谢谢你
Thank you
接过我的火炬
for letting me lend my light to yours.
我们将携手传递光明 直至再无黑暗
Together we will shrink the darkness. Until there is only lights.
您的W.C 迈纳敬上
Yours, W.C. Minor.
克劳索恩 伯克郡
Crowthorne, Berkshire.
詹姆斯 A. H. 默里
语言学会主席
第一部分 A至ANT
来了
Here it is.
我们把你的名字也写上去了
We’ll put your name on it now too.
新英语字典
按历史原则编订
布莱德利先生 能再给我一份吗
Mr Bradley, can I have another fascicle please?
我还知道个人 要是看见了要高兴死了
I know another whose joy in seeing it will be immeasurable.
有什么事吗 夫人
Yes, Madam?
– 芒西先生在工作吗 – 是
Is Mr. Muncie working? – He is.
能麻烦您通禀他 米利特夫人来见他
Could you please tell him Mrs. Merrett is here to see him?
这就去 夫人
Will indeed, ma’am.
《远大前程》
查尔斯·狄更斯
– 您好 夫人 – 芒西先生
Hello ma’am. – Mr. Muncie.
很高兴再见到您 米利特夫人
So pleased you’ve returned, Mrs. Merrett.
请进 夫人
Come on in, ma’am.

This.
很有趣
Very interesting.
请进 医生
Come in, doctor.
米利特夫人给你带了本书来
Mrs. Merrett has brought you a book.
嗯 从麦格斯买♥♥的 就是那家书店
Yes, from Maggs, the book shop.
我听说你喜欢看书
I was told you liked to read.
谢谢
Thank you.
您愿意去草地上走走吗 夫人
Would you care to take a walk in the grounds, Madam?
春和日丽
It is a beautiful spring day.
您有读过吗
Did you read it?
您给我带的那本 远大前程
Great Expectations. The book you brought me?
是您最喜欢的书吗
Is it your favorite?
不 是店家推荐的
No, no, the shop suggested it.
我来是想说
I came to say.
谢谢你
Thank you.
孩子们不会再饿着了
The children are not going hungry anymore.
他们都有冬衣了 哪怕明年的都够了
They’ve got warm clothes now. Even for the next year, but…
孩子总是象征希望 他们需要未来
It is never too late with children. Their whole life are made of tomorrows.
但是我不能再收你的钱了 这样不对
But I can’t go on taking your money… not right.
拜托 米利特夫人
Please, Mrs Merritt…
这是血换来的钱
It is blood money.
我知道 但这也是我的血汗
I know, but it’s my blood too.
我的命是你的 那晚我造成这局面
My life belongs to you. I made it so that night.
我夺走一条生命
I took a life and by dreadful bargain
那么应该一命偿一命
I placed another in your hands.
按道理 我的一切都是你的
By rights, all that I have is yours.
我不知道该如何想这事儿
I do not know what to think.
我也不知道我为什么要来
I do not know why I came.
米利特夫人 拜托
Mrs. Merritt, please.
好吧 她要是回来跟我说一声
Good, let me know if you’re back.
我来下手铐
Let’s have a look at the chains.
谢谢
Thank you.
能帮您什么忙吗 先生
Can I help you, sir?
嗯 我想见这儿的警司
Yes. I’m here to see the superintendent.
– 你有约吗 – 没 就临时起意
Are you expected? – No, I came on impulse.
我是詹姆斯 默里
I am James Murray.
我是迈纳医生的朋友 信友
I am a friend of Dr. Minor’. Yet only through posts.
迈纳医生 警司
Dr. Minor? The superintendent?
对 对 我来把这个给他
Right, right, I came to bring him this.
我们奋斗的果实
The fruit of our labour.
我认得您 先生
I know you, sir.
我帮他寄信 邮票都是我贴的
I posted all the letters for him. I licked the stamps myself.
谢谢您用母语说话
Thank you. For your mother tongue.
行 我来想办法
Yes, I’ll see what I can do.
这就是我们的好医生
So this is our good doctor.
先生 这是默里先生
Mr. Murray, Sir.
迈纳医生 很荣幸认识您
Dr. Minor, I’m proud to make your acquaintance, sir.
难以置信
I cannot believe my eyes.
我也是 真是惊喜
Nor I. Nor this… surprise.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!