在伦敦一家银行的地下金库里
Somewhere in the vaults of a bank in London
有一个写着我名字的金属盒子
is a tin dispatch box with my name on it.
我死了五十年后 这个盒子才会被打开
It is not to be opened until 50 years after my death.
盒子里装着我和一个人长久以来交往的纪念品
It contains certain mementos of my long association
这个人将演绎法提升为
with the man who elevated the science of deduction
一门艺术
to an art.
他是全世界第一个 无可否认
The world’s first and undeniably
也是最著名的一个咨♥询♥侦探
most famous consulting detective.
福尔摩斯秘史
“致我的继承人
“To my heirs.
“在我一生中 我记录了约60起案件
“In my lifetime, I have recorded some 60 cases,
“这些案件展现了我的朋友夏洛克·福尔摩斯的超凡才华
“demonstrating the singular gift of my friend, Sherlock Holmes,
“他能解决任何难题 从巴斯克维尔的猎犬案
“dealing with everything from the Hounds of the Baskervilles
“到他神秘的哥哥迈克罗夫特
“to his mysterious brother Mycroft
“还有邪恶的莫里亚蒂教授
“and the devilish Professor Moriarty.
“不过有一段奇遇 出于谨慎考虑
“But there were other adventures which, for reasons of discretion,
“我决定还是等到多年以后再公之于众
“I have decided to withhold from the public until this much later date.
“此事不仅微妙 且多少有失体面
“They involve matters of a delicate and sometimes scandalous nature,
“个中曲折 阅后便知
“as will shortly become apparent.
“那是1887年8月 我们正从约克郡回来
“It was August of 1887, and we were returning from Yorkshire,
“福尔摩斯刚解决了令人困惑的艾博内蒂上将谋杀案
“where Holmes had solved the baffling murder of Admiral Abernetty.
“你们也许能回想起来 他推♥翻♥凶手的不在场证明
“You may recall that he broke the murderer’s alibi
“是通过测量热天时欧芹在黄油里下陷
“by measuring the depth to which the parsley had sunk in the butter
“的深度”
“on a hot day.”
你们要是回家之前
I wish you’d give me a bit more warning
告诉我一声就好了
when you come home unexpected.
我就会给你们烤一只鹅 再买♥♥点鲜花
I’d have roasted a goose, had a few flowers for you.
我亲爱的哈德森太太 罪犯如感冒一样难以预料
My dear Mrs. Hudson, criminals are as unpredictable as head colds.
你永远不知道什么时候会赶上
You never quite know when you’re going to catch one.
我来帮你拆行李
I’ll unpack your bags.
这有一份《河滨杂♥志♥》样刊
Here’s an advance copy of Strand Magazine.
他们刊登了”红发会”
They’ve printed “The Red-Headed League.”
了不起
Very impressive.
你想不想看看我怎么写的
Would you like to see how I’ve treated it?
我等不及要看 我肯定我会发现一堆
I can hardly wait. I’m sure I shall find out all sorts
我从来不知道的这起案子的萌点
of fascinating things about the case that I never knew before.
你什么意思
Just what do you mean by that?
拜托 华生 你得承认
Come now, Watson. You must admit
你有过度美化的倾向
you have a tendency to over-romanticize.
你对我简单的逻辑思考加以润色
You’ve taken my simple exercises in logic and embellished them,
渲染 夸大
embroidered them, exaggerated them.
我否认你的指控
I deny the accusation.
你说我有1米93 其实我最多1米85
You have described me as 6’4″, whereas I am barely 6’1 “.
一点小小的创作自♥由♥
A bit of poetic license.
你给我打造了这么个不切实际的形象
You’ve saddled me with this improbable costume,
公众还以为我就是这样呢
which the public now expects me to wear.
不是我♥干♥的 要怪就怪那个画插图的
That’s not my doing. Blame it on the illustrator.
我还被你写成小提琴大♥师♥了
You’ve made me out to be a violin virtuoso.
这有封利物浦交响乐团的请柬
There’s an invitation from the Liverpool Symphony
请我表演独奏《门德尔松协奏曲》
to appear as soloist in the Mendelssohn concerto.
真的
Really?
实际上我也就勉强能
The fact is I could barely hold my own
在二流音乐厅里给人伴奏
in the pit orchestra of a second-rate music hall.
你太谦虚了
Now, you’re much too modest.
你还让读者确信我是一个
You’ve given the reader the distinct impression
厌恶女性的人
that I am a misogynist.
事实上我不是不喜欢女人 只是不信任她们
Actually I don’t dislike women. I merely distrust them.
那些闪烁的眼神和汤里的砒霜
The twinkle in the eye and the arsenic in the soup.
就是这些小细节让你形象更生动
It’s those little touches that make you colorful.
更可怕还差不多 你把我描绘成一个无可救药的瘾君子
Lurid is more like it. You have painted me as a hopeless dope addict
就因为我偶尔来一点浓度5%的可♥卡♥因♥
just because I occasionally take a 5 percent solution of cocaine.
浓度是百分之七
A 7 percent solution.
百分之五
Five percent.
你以为我不知道你背着我稀释吗
Don’t you think I’m aware you’ve been diluting it behind my back?
作为一个医生 同时也是你的朋友
As a doctor, as well as your friend,
我强烈反对你这个恶习
I strongly disapprove of this insidious habit of yours.
我亲爱的朋友 以及我亲爱的医生
My dear friend, as well as my dear doctor,
在没有令我感兴趣的案子让我费神
I only resort to narcotics when I’m suffering from acute boredom.
无聊难耐的时候 我才求助于麻醉剂
When there are no interesting cases to engage my mind.
看这个 紧急求助寻找走失侏儒
Look at this, an urgent appeal to find some missing midgets.
你是说侏儒
Did you say midgets?
六个 翻筋斗的短笛
Six of them. The Tumbling Piccolos.
是马戏团的一项杂技
An acrobatic act with some circus.
在伦敦和布里斯托之间失踪
Disappeared between London and Bristol.
你不觉得有趣吗
Well, don’t you find that intriguing?
极其有趣
Extremely so.
他们不止是侏儒 还是无政♥府♥主义者
You see they’re not only midgets, but also anarchists.
无政♥府♥主义者
Anarchists?
他们现在已经被走私到维也纳
By now, they have been smuggled to Vienna,
穿着纱裙打扮成小姑娘了
dressed as little girls in organdie pinafores.
他们会去火车站
They are to greet the czar of all the Russias
迎接俄♥国♥沙皇
when he arrives at the railway station.
他们会拿着花束
They will be carrying bouquets of flowers,
每束花里都有一颗带着引线的炸♥弹♥
and concealed in each bouquet will be a bomb with a lit fuse.
你真这么觉得
You really think so?
当然不
Not at all.
马戏班主提出付我五英镑
The circus owner offers me five pounds for my services.
每个侏儒连一英镑都不到
That’s not even a pound a midget.
可见他是个吝啬的讨厌鬼
So obviously he’s a stingy blighter and the little chaps
那些小家伙只是跳槽到另一家马戏团去了
simply ran off to join another circus.
这听起来靠谱
It sounded so promising.
再也没有伟大的罪行了 华生
There are no great crimes anymore, Watson.
犯罪分子们已经变得毫无上进心和创造力
The criminal class has lost all enterprise and originality.
他们最多也就干点笨拙的坏事 动机明显得
At best they commit some bungling villainy with a motive so transparent
连苏格兰场的警♥察♥都能看穿
that even a Scotland Yard official can see through it.
哈德森太太 哈德森太太
Mrs. Hudson! Mrs. Hudson!
什么事 我怎么招你惹你了
Yes? What is it? What have I done now?
我书桌上有东西不见了
There is something missing from my desk.
-不见了 -非常重要的东西
-Missing? -Something very crucial.
-什么 -灰尘
-What? -Dust.
你打扫的时候把文件整理顺序弄乱了
You have been tidying up against my explicit orders.
可我确信我没有把它们弄乱
Look, I made sure I hadn’t disturbed anything.
灰尘 哈德森太太 灰尘是整理系统里关键的一部分
Dust, Mrs. Hudson, is an essential part of my filing system.
根据厚度我可以立刻确定文档的年份
By the thickness of it, I can date any document immediately.
可有的灰都这么厚了
Well, some of the dust was this thick.
那应该是1883年3月的
That would be March 1883.
你怎么能受得了
How can you stand this?
为什么不让我给房♥间换换气
Why don’t you let me air the room out?
别 哈德森太太 他正忙于一项有关烟灰的研究
Please, Mrs. Hudson. He’s working on a definitive study of tobacco ash.
这项研究肯定重要得要命
I’m sure there’s a crying need for that.
我们正试图区分 有时这很关键
In our endeavors, it is sometimes vital to distinguish between,
比如 马其顿香烟和牙买♥♥加雪茄的灰烬
say, the ashes of a Macedonian cigarette and a Jamaican cigar.
目前为止他已经对140多种不同的烟灰进行了分类
So far he has classified 140 different kinds of ashes.
所有这些灰最后都会跑到我的地毯上
All of which will wind up on my rug.
您说够了吧 哈德森太太
That will be enough, Mrs. Hudson.
先生们如果你们想待在这儿并且窒息而死 我没意见
All right. If you gentlemen want to stay and suffocate.
她说得没错 我要窒息了
She’s right. I am suffocating.
我来开窗
Let me open the window.
不是缺少空气 是缺少活动
Not from lack of air, from lack of activity.
日复一日地坐在这 吹着烟圈
Sitting here, week after week, blowing smoke rings,
盯着显微镜 一点挑战性都没有
staring through a microscope. There’s no challenge in that.
我个人认为这是一项对犯罪学的巨大贡献
Personally, I consider it a major contribution to scientific criminology.
我真嫉妒你的头脑 华生
How I envy you your mind, Watson.
真的
You do?
温和 沉静 乏味
It’s placid, imperturbable, prosaic.
我的头脑抗拒这种停滞的状态
But my mind rebels against stagnation.
它像一台空转的赛车引擎
It’s like a racing engine, tearing itself to pieces
因为没有用到该用的地方 就快把自身撕成碎片了
because it’s not connected up with the work for which it was built.
福尔摩斯
Holmes.
福尔摩斯 你的自♥制♥力哪儿去了
Holmes. Where is your self-control?
问得好

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!