Greatest rider I ever knew.
在农场最后方 有个悬崖
There’s a cliff, way out back at the ranch with
这些字母缩写应该是1805年刻上去的
initials in 1805 carved into it.
肯定是路易斯和克拉克探险队的人留的
What must’ve been some fella from Lewis and Clark expedition.
他们是那个时代真正的男人
They were real men in those days.
你愿不愿意跟我出去几天
Let’s say, just you and me go out for a couple of days,
找点蛛丝马迹 然后一探究竟
find those trails and follow them to the end.
里头要是真有金子 贵金属之类的
Won’t be surprised if there were
那绝对是个惊喜 我是说石头里面
gold or precious minerals in them. They’re rocks.
会有很多小牛被狼吃掉吗
Do many of the calves die from wolves?
牛犊常常
There’s always a few who’d get
被咬死咬伤 要么就得炭疽病死了 我们管那个叫黑脚病
tore up, or hamstrung, or die of Anthrax. We call it Black leg.
你说话就像是在维克特拉唱片机上放出来的声音
You know, you talk like a big troll record,
你知道那是什么吗
you know that?
不知道
No, I didn’t know.
不 你明明知道的
Yeah. But you do.
菲尔 你骑马是布朗科亨利教的吗
Did Bronco Henry teach you to ride, Phil?
没错
Yup.
也是他教我用眼睛 去看别人看不到的东西
He taught me to use my eyes, ways that other people can’t.
你看那边的山
Take that hill over there.
大多数人都只看到了山而已
Most people look at it then, just see a hill.
可布朗科看的时候 你猜他看到了什么
Where Bronco looked at it, what do you suppose he saw?
一条狂吠的狗?
A barking dog.
不会吧 你几秒就看到了吗
What the hell? You just saw that now?
不是
No.
我刚到这就看到了
When I first came here,
你看 他就像一条张大嘴巴的狗
see, it looks like a dog with its jaw wide open.
你就这么看出来了
You just saw that.
是的
Yeah.
彼得
Peter,
彼得
Peter,
能进来和我聊聊吗
can you come in and talk for a little?
你最近跟菲尔
You’ve gotten to be
走得挺近的 对吗
quite friendly with Phil. Haven’t you?
他对你好吗
Is he nice to you?
他要给我编一条绳子
He’s making a rope for me.
编绳子?
Making a rope?
彼得 我希望你不要用梳子搞出那种声音
Peter, I wish you wouldn’t make that song with your comb.
我没注意
I wasn’t aware.
在我小时候 我
When I was little, I,
每当听到粉笔在黑板上吱吱作响
I felt a chill in my spine when I heard
我就感到脊背发凉
the chalk squeak on a blackboard.
噢 制♥造♥这种声音的人是梅珍特小姐
Oh, Mrs. Merchant, that’s who it was.
她 她在黑板上用粉笔往我们名字旁边画星星
She, she drew chalk stars by our names on the blackboard.
我想知道为什么她给我们画的是星星
I wonder why it was stars she gave us.
为什么不是钻石 为什么不是爱心
Why not diamonds, why not hearts?
为什么不是黑桃
Why not spades?
为什么
What?
我想知道为什么
I wonder why it was…
总是星星
always stars.
因为星星本应是遥不可及的
Because stars are supposed to be unreachable.
是的
Yes.
但是它们不再遥不可及 因为她把它们给了我们
They weren’t unreachable because she gave them to us.
彼得 -嗯?
And Peter? -Huh?
当时我们有好大一个情人节礼物盒
We had this Valentine box and it was covered with white Grey paper
灰色的包装纸上面还有一颗大大的爱心
and we would place big red hearts on it
但是是歪着的
lopsided.
你们应该一起度过了不少情人节
And you had a great many Valentines.
数不过来了
A great many.
因为你实在是太美了
Because you’re beautiful.
这世上有没有一种声音会让你颤抖不止
Is there a sound that makes you shiver?
记不清了
I don’t remember.
我们并非遥不可及
We’re not unreachable.
我希望我不是那种遥不可及的人
Hope we’re not unreachable.
母亲
Mother,
你不必这样
you don’t have to do this.
你不必这样 我知道的
I’ll see, you don’t have to do it.
这是他骑马的第一周吗
This his first week?
不 第三周了 -第三周
No, third. -Third.
开门让他出去
Open up the gate. Let him out.
确定吗 他还没准备好 -开门吧 让他出去
Are you sure? He’s not ready. -Go on. Let him out.
大英雄已经晕头转向了
Giddy up, Elmer.
他来了
There he goes.
跑到营地旁边了
Camp by the ranch.
你们在干什么 -去帮他啊
Whatchu doing? -Going to give him a hand.
别去
Don’t.
让他自己解决
Let him figure it out.
看来解决不了
Or not.
掉下来了就快点上马
You fall off. You get back on.
快点爬上去
Get it over.
嘿 彼得
Hey, Pete.
过来
Come here.
彼得 彼得
Peter, Peter?
你们俩要去哪儿
Where are you two off to?
彼得
Peter?
萝丝 -彼得
Rose? -Peter.
萝丝 怎么了
Rose, what’s the matter?
萝丝
Rose.
彼得今天不能跟你一起走吗
Can’t Peter go with you today?
这也不是不行 但他已经和菲尔组好队了
He could but him and Phil was kind of paired up.
我不想这样
I don’t want that.
我不想他和菲尔待在一起
I don’t want him to be with Phil at all.
萝丝 他是在帮他
Rose, he’s helping him.
他教他怎么骑马
He taught him how to ride.
嘿 小彼伙计
Hey, P for Pal?
嘿 小彼伙计
Hey, P for Pal?
要来搭把手吗
You’re gonna help?
你知道吗 他和你一样 很晚才开始骑马
You know, he started riding as late as you.
谁
Who?
布朗科·亨利
Bronco Henry.
他才到你这岁数的时候 也什么都不 会
Hadn’t done any of it until he was about your age now.
噢 兔子先生
Oh, Mr. Cottontail.
上这儿来
Hey, Peter.
看看兔于先生要用多久才能逃出去
You see how long it takes before Mr. Cottontail makes a run for the open.
现在
Now,
小时候
as kids,
我们经常打赌
we used to take bets,
在里面的动物跑出来
on how many poles we remove
逃走之前
before any animals run out
我们移走了多少根杆子
and made a run for it.
它还在里面
Oh, he’s still in there.
你跑不掉了 小东西
Got you, you little bugger.
它还挺有胆子的
I get he has to be gutsy.
没错
Yeah.
这个小混♥蛋♥
Damn, son of a bitch.
过来吧
Come on now.
来啊
Come on.
看起来是腿断了
I think it broke his leg.
给它个痛快吧
Well, for the amount of his misery…
没事的
It’s all right.
伤口很深啊
That’s deep.
你还好么 菲尔
You okay, Phil?
噢 怎么搞的
Oh, what the hell?
肯定是木刺弄的
Must be a splinter.
你晒黑了 这是牛仔皮肤的颜色
You got a tan. That’s a cowboy tan you got.
布朗科·亨利和我说过
Bronco Henry told me that
男人是用耐性和磨难锤炼出来的
a man was made by patience in the odds against him.
我父亲说过
My father said
你面前的阻碍
obstacles.
你必须要去克服它
And you had to try and remove them.
一样的道理