“Suggested sending large numbers”
“建议派大批”
“Of U. S. Forces to interlard.”
“美军士兵混入其中”
“Interlard”?
“混入”
Where’d you get these?
哪来的
Somebody left them on my desk.
有人放在我桌子上的
All these guys sound like they sleep
这些家伙的用词真是绝了
with a damn thesaurus.
每天晚上是抱着字典睡的吗
So McNaughton was secretly suggesting to McNamara…
所以麦克诺顿在偷偷暗示麦克纳马拉…
to provoke the North so we’d
去离间北方 这样我们就能
have grounds for escalation? Yep.
趁机占据上风 是的
Yeah, it was in The Times article.
《时报》就是这么写的
It was a good piece. You should check it out.
这真的不错 你应该看看
It was wellwritten. Jesus Christ.
写得挺好的 我的天
Give it to someone who can’t type 91 words a minute…
找个打字速度慢的…
and have it proofed, okay?
校对一下
Ben? Yeah?
本 怎么
I think we got something.
你看看
What is it?
什么东西
Jesus Christ.
我的天啊
Shit. Are these
这些文件
part of the pages of the McNamara study?
是麦克纳马拉研究里的吗
Where did you get these?
你在哪里找到的
Somebody left them on my desk.
有人放在我桌上的
On your desk?
你桌上
I didn’t… It was a woman. A woman?
我不知道… 是个女的 女的
We got over 100 pages of the McNamara study here.
我们拿到了一百多页麦克纳马拉的原稿
A hippie woman.
一个嬉皮士
Hey, Debbie, get me Bagdikian.
德比 把巴格迪基安叫来
She had one of those skirts…
她穿的是那种裙子…
He’s out. He went somewhere.
他出去了 去了别的地方
Fine.
好吧
Probably between 5’4″And 5’6″…
身高在一米六三到一米六八之间
If these are the real thing, we are back in the ballgame.
如果这是真的原稿 那这次的独家新闻我们也能分一杯羹了
It was a tie-dye skirt.
是一条扎染的裙子
And this is gonna be the front page of tomorrow’s paper.
明天报纸的头版就刊登这个
Um… Give it to Marder. It’s his lucky day.
交给马德尔负责 今天他走运了
My God, the fun.
天啊 多有意思啊
RAND Corporation.
这里是兰德公♥司♥
Harry Rowen, please.
请帮我转接哈利·罗恩
This is Harry.
我是哈利
Harry, it’s Ben Bagdikian.
哈利 我是本 巴格迪基安
You think someone’s bugging your phone?
你觉得有人在窃听你吗
I think someone might be bugging yours.
我觉得有人在窃听你
Why would someone bug my phone?
为什么会有人窃听我
If I thought the McNamara study
要是我觉得兰德公♥司♥
had leaked from RAND…
泄露了麦克纳马拉的报告…
I’d bug the phone of the president of RAND.
我当然会监听公♥司♥总裁的电♥话♥
It’s a DOD study.
那是国防部的文件
A copy of which was sent to RAND for safekeeping.
有一份复印件由兰德公♥司♥代为保管
Two copies, if I’m not mistaken.
两份 如果我没记错的话
Jesus Christ, Ben, that leak didn’t come from us.
天呐 本 消息不是从我们这里走漏的
You sure about that?
你确定吗
Look, in my experience…
以我的经验来看…
guys who want stuff like this out there
想得到这些文件
and have the guts to do it…
还敢这么做的人…
they’re a particular type.
都有特定的特征
They’ve got conscience and conviction…
这类人有良知 有信念
but they’ve also got ego.
但也以自我为中心
Now, there’s a guy that we both know, okay?
我们都认识这么一个人 对吧
He was there the same time as I was.
他和我同时进入新闻业
He left right after.
之后就匆匆退出了
You know who I’m talking about, right?
你知道我指的是谁 是吧
Isn’t he the first guy you thought of
你看见《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的报道时
when you saw the article in The Times?
难道第一个想到的人不是他吗
Okay, look, I gotta go.
行了 我得挂了
Mr.And Mrs.Rosenthal.
罗森塔尔先生和夫人
Oh, yes, I see. You’re welcome.
我看见了 不客气
I don’t wanna push it.
我不想逼得太紧
Hi. Ah, Kay.
你们好 凯
What a treat!
真难得啊
I’m just going to apologize in advance.
我要提前道个歉
Great to see you.
很高兴见到你
I’m no fun at all, Abe. I’m just so nervous…
我根本没有兴致 亚伯 我特别紧张…
about tomorrow at the stock exchange.
我明天就要去证券交易所了
And I have to make a big speech.
还要在那么多人面前演讲
No, no, no, no. Poor you.
别紧张 别紧张 真可怜
No, going public is a good move for The Post.
对《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》来说 上市是件好事
Maybe you can even think about expanding.
你甚至还能考虑考虑扩张的事
Try to be more of a national paper.
争取成为一家全国性的报纸
I wish Abe would let me buy shares.
真希望亚伯能让我买♥♥一些股票
That’s against company policy…
这有违公♥司♥政策…
but if you’re nervous and need distraction…
但如果你感到紧张 需要放松一下的话
I do happen to have a copy of today’s Times.
我恰巧有一份今天的《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》
Abe!
亚伯
Unless you read it already.
除非你已经看过了
Oh, you awful man. You really are.
你真讨厌 真的很讨厌
Can we get you something to drink?
你要来杯喝的吗
Bundy argues for sustained bombing.
邦迪赞成持续轰炸
Great stuff.
不错
He thinks it’ll turn the tide.
他认为这样能扭转战局
This is February of ’65.
当时是一九六五年二月
Jesus Christ.
天啊
But by April, they realize it’s not gonna cut it…
但到了四月 他们意识到轰炸不能结束战局…
and LBJ sends two battalions.
于是约翰逊派了两支部队
Great stuff. And get this.
很好 注意这一点
He changes the mission
他把任务内容从
from base security to active combat.
防守基地改成了积极进攻
My God. It’s a huge shift.
天 这可是个巨大的战术改变
He’s widening the war.
他在扩大战局
But he insists on secrecy.
但他坚持要求保密
The American people are not to be told.
不得向美国民众透露此事
All right, okay. So this is the real deal…
好了 这是一篇重磅新闻…
so how long till you can write it up?
你要多长时间才能写完
I can have it for Thursday.
周四能完成
Well, what if we pretend
如果我们让你
you’re a reporter, not a novelist?
不用写的那么详细呢
Uh, I suppose I could pull
那我明晚
something together by tomorrow night.
应该就能写出一点东西来
Okay, we can run it on Wednesday.
很好 我们周三就能出版
I know we need to get this out, Ben,
我知道我们得赶紧刊登 本
but I’d like to spend a minute…
但我想花点时间…
going through what we’ve got on Rolling Thunder.
查阅一下关于滚雷行动的资料
Go through all the research you want…
你想查多少资料都行…
but so help me God, if we don’t have
但帮帮忙 要是我们
these pages by tomorrow night…
明晚还没刊登这些文件
we might as well not have them at all.
那我们以后都没机会刊登了
Too late.
太迟了
What?
什么
Times already has it.
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》已经拿到文件了
Well, of course they have it.
是啊 他们当然能拿到了
“President Johnson decided on April 1, 1965…”
“约翰逊总统于1965年4月1日决定…”
Of course The Times had… Written by Neil Sheehan.
纽♥约♥时♥报♥当然有… 尼尔·希恩报道
“Because a month of bombing…”
“因为轰炸持续了一个月…”
Neil Sheehan’s a bastard.
尼尔·希恩这个混♥蛋♥
He’s been a bastard for years.
这么多年来他一直都是个混♥蛋♥
Mr.President, the Attorney General
总统先生 关于《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》
has called a couple times…
这次的报道…
about these New York Times stories.
司法部长已多次来电
You mean to prosecute The Times?
你是说要起诉《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》吗
Hell, my view is
我主张

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!