You and Luvie Pearson said I had to go!
你和鲁维·皮尔森说我必须要去的
With Lyndon and Lady Bird.
还和林登和伯德夫人一起
It’s hard to say…
拒绝美国总统…
“No” To the Rresident of the United States.
可不是一件容易的事
Were you expecting someone?
有人要来吗
At this hour?
这么早
I hope I’m not too early.
希望没有打扰到你们
Not at all. Must be urgent.
一点都不 你肯定是有急事
Where’s your sister?
你姐姐呢
That’s my tea, darling.
亲爱的 那是我的茶
Where’s your sister? Let’s go find her.
你姐姐在哪 我们去找她好不好
Let’s go find her.
我们去找她吧
I trust you saw The New York Times.
我想你应该看到《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的报道了
The study, the one they are working off of…
那份即将公布的研究报告…
that was commissioned by Robert McNamara.
是罗伯特·麦克纳马拉写的
Yeah.
我知道
And if he commissioned it, he might have a copy.
既然是他写的 他应该会有备份
I don’t need to tell you that finding a source…
你也知道 想要找一份报告的原件…
it’s like finding a needle in a haystack.
就如同大海捞针一样困难
I don’t need the metaphor.
别打比方了
Well, I haven’t been a writer for a while so that old
我已经很久不写文章了 所以这老套的比喻
cliche, that was the best comparison I could come up with.
已经是我能想到最好的比喻了
I need a copy of that study, Kay.
我需要报告的备份 凯
Give her the ball, Ben.
你先把球给她 本
Here you go. Thank you.
给你 谢谢
You know, Ben, as much as I do relish
本 尽管我喜欢
a good investigative assignment…
调查别人…
Bob McNamara is an old friend.
但我认识鲍勃 麦克纳马拉很久了
He’s going through a lot in his life right now.
他最近很不好过
I just think he’s probably said all he wants to say.
我觉得他想说的都已经说了
Why do you think?
你为什么这样觉得
Why? Why?
什么 为什么
Why is he talking to you?
为什么他会找你谈话
Well, I just told you, he’s my friend and…
我刚才不是跟你说了吗 他是我的朋友…
Is he talking to any other friends?
他还找过其他朋友谈话吗
I’m not sure.
这我不能确定
I appreciate the implication of what you just said.
我知道你在暗示什么
McNamara is talking to you…
麦克纳马拉找你聊…
because you are the publisher of The Washington Post.
是因为你是《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》的发行人
That’s not true. No, that is not why.
不 不是 不是因为这个
Because he wants you to bail him out.
他想你去帮他摆脱困境
Because he wants you on his side.
他想要你支持他
No, there’s no ulterior… No!
我们之间没什么不可告人的 不是
Ben, that’s not my role. You know that.
本 你知道我不会那么做的 你知道的
I wouldn’t presume to tell you how to write about him.
我不会暗示你应该怎么写关于他的报道
Just as I wouldn’t take it upon myself…
就像我不会自导自演…
to tell him he should hand over a classified study…
让他把一份机密研究报告公之于众…
which would be a crime, by the way…
当然了 这也是犯法的…
just so he can serve as your source.
就是为了让他能成为你的新闻素材
Our source, Katharine.
是我们的新闻素材 凯瑟琳
No. Uh… No…
不 不…
I’m not. I’m not going to ask Bob for the study.
我不会去找他要那份研究报告的
All right.
我知道
I get it. You have a relationship
我知道 你和鲍勃 麦克纳马拉
with Bob McNamara.
交情很好
But don’t you think you have an obligation as well
但你不觉得你对报社和公众
to the paper and to the public?
同样有责任吗
Let me ask you something.
好吧 我问你
Was that how you felt when you were
你和杰克·肯尼迪交好那会儿
palling around with Jack Kennedy?
也是这么想的吗
Where was your sense of duty then?
那个时候你的责任感去哪了
I don’t recall you pushing him particularly hard on anything.
我可不记得你有强迫过他做什么
I pushed Jack when I had to.
如果有必要 我也会这样对他
I never pulled any punches.
我从不手下留情
Is that right?
是吗
Cause you used to dine at the White House once a week.
你以前可是每周都要去一次白宫用餐呢
All the trips to Camp David.
还去了那么多次戴维营
Oh, and that drunken birthday cruise
对了 还有你说你在
on the Sequoia you told me about.
加州庆生时喝得烂醉的那次
Hard to believe you would have
很难让人相信
gotten all those invitations…
你一点情面都不留…
if you didn’t pull a few punches.
也能享受到这种待遇
Street protests broke out today
全国范围内的游♥行♥示♥威♥就今天
across the country…
全面爆发了…
after the publication of more excerpts…
就在《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》刊登了…
from a classified Department of Defense study
一份国防部机密报告的
in The New York Times.
其他章节之后
The study, commissioned
这份报告是由
by former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara…
国防部前秘♥书♥长♥罗伯特·麦克纳马拉所撰写…
has ignited further debate
已经引发了关于
over the ongoing war in Vietnam…
持续不断的越南战争的激烈讨论…
as it makes clear that Kennedy and Johnson…
显然 肯尼迪 约翰逊…
as well as Eisenhower and Truman,
还有艾森豪威尔和杜鲁门
deeply misled the country on Vietnam.
向全国隐瞒了越南战争的真♥相♥
The bombshell series has appeared
过去两日内
for the last two days in The New York Times.
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》一直在跟进这宗重磅新闻
We don’t want your stinking war.
停止战争
One, two, three, four.
一 二 三 四
We don’t want your stinking war.
停止战争
I’ve walked and I’ve crawled on six crooked highways.
# 我一路穿行 走过六条曲折蜿蜒的公路 #
Not for what is politic but for what is right.
这不是为了政♥治♥ 是为了正义
Right!

Like my brother Mario said…
就像我弟弟马里奥说过的一样
“There is a time when the operation”
“当机器到了”
“Of the machine becomes so odious…”
“运转不灵的时候… ”
“That you’ve got to put your body upon the gears…”
“你就得牺牲自己 将自己的身躯置于齿轮之下”
“And upon the wheels, and upon the levers…”
“置于车轮之下 置于车杆之下… ”
“And you’ve got to make it stop.”
“让机器停下来”
One, two, three four.
一 二 三 四
We don’t want your stinking war.
停止战争
Someone gives up his life,
有人牺牲了性命
so that the President…
总统却对全世界
doesn’t have to admit something
都已经知道的真♥相♥
the entire world already knows.
缄口不言
Your dinner with Mr. And Mrs. Rosenthal is at seven
你和罗森塔尔夫妇的晚餐约在七点
in the Oak Room, and then I’ll meet you tomorrow
地点是橡树屋 明天早上八点
morning in the lobby at eight, so you’ll have
我会去大厅接你 所以在募股开始前
plenty of time to get downtown before the offering.
你有足够的时间赶到市中心
And the breakfast.
还能享用早餐
“All designed to meet these five desiderata.”
“一切都是为了满足五欲”
Bagdikian.
我是巴格迪基安
It’s Harry Rowen.
我是哈利·罗恩
Hey, uh, let me call you back from outside the newsroom.
等会 我去编辑室外面给你回电
Excuse me, are you important?
请问 你是管事的吗
I’m a general assignment reporter.
我是负责综合报道的记者
Okay.
就你了
Uh, I think I got something.
我拿到了一份文件
Be my guest.
进去吧
Can we lose The New York Times from the nut graph?
我们要因为这点内容输给《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》吗
Ben, they are the source of the story.
本 他们是报道的首发
Every time I read The New York Times above the fold…
每次我读《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的第一版时…
Mr. Bradlee? No.
布莱德利先生 我现在没空
I feel like somebody’s shoving a hot poker up my ass.
感觉就像被人捅了菊花一样
All right, just say The Times,
够了 写《时报》就行
and drop it a graph below the fold.
在不起眼的位置写一小段就行了
There you go.
就这样吧
That would be less painful.
这样就不觉得被捅得那么痛了
I think I got something.
看我找到了什么
“McNaughton had McNamara plan for action.”
“麦克诺顿让麦克纳马拉计划好行动”
Well, that’s two months before the election.
那是大选前两个月

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!