Your Honor, the stories published
法官大人 《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》此前
in The Times and now The Post…
及《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》现在刊登的内容
have created a diplomatic
已对美国外交
and security disaster for the United States.
及安全造成严重威胁
How exactly have these papers created a diplomatic disaster?
请详细列举 这些文件如何造成外交危机
Why would other countries talk to us in confidence…
如果类似这样的机密文件都能泄露
if secrets like this can be leaked?
他国怎么有信心和我们往来呢
So, does this make it difficult
那这有给总统治理国家
for the President to govern?
带来不便吗
If the President can’t keep secrets, he can’t govern.
如果总统连秘密都守不住 谈何治理
Nothing less than the integrity
此时总统的诚信
of the presidency is at stake.
正面临威胁
Yes, I know.
对 我知道
I’m sure it has rattled investors, Jerry.
这肯定令投资者们阵脚大乱 杰里
That’s why I’m calling you.
所以我才给你打这个电♥话♥
Yes, I understand a number of them
是的 他们中已有人在考虑撤资
have considered pulling out but we feel…
我能理解 可是我们觉得…
《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》侥幸免遭禁令
法♥院♥对越南文件意见不一
Of course. I stand behind the decision.
当然 我支持这个决定
Well, you know, one could argue
话说回来 有人认为
it’s raising the profile of The Post.
这是在提升《邮报》的行业地位
Would The Post have published military plans for D-Day…
如果《邮报》知悉诺曼底登陆日的军事作战计划
if they’d had them in advance?
他们还会出版吗
Well, I don’t think there’s any comparison
我认为
between a pending invasion of Europe…
对欧洲发动侵略的作战计划…
and a historical survey of American involvement
跟针对美国参与越南战争所作的历史研究
in the Vietnam War.
两者之间并没有可比性
“The Supreme Court has decided
“最高法♥院♥已裁定
to hold a hearing tomorrow morning…
于明天早上举♥行♥听证会
to resolve the tangle of conflicting decisions…
以解决控辩双方僵持不下的局面
over what of the Pentagon Papers
届时将围绕五角大楼文件
can be published and more broadly…
能否公布展开听证…
the issue of freedom of the press
从广义上说 这是一场
versus government security.
新闻自♥由♥与政♥府♥安全的较量
But in agreeing to hear the cases of…
不过 法♥院♥同意就《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》
The New York Times and The Washington Post…”
和《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》的诉讼案展开听证…”
Supreme’s granted cert.
最高法♥院♥签发的同意函
Emergency expedited basis.
紧急加快处理
We’re in court with The Times tomorrow.
明天我们和《时报》将在庭上并肩作战
What are you so happy about?
你怎么这么开心的样子
I always wanted to be part of a small rebellion.
这种小集团反抗行动 我一直都很想参加
“I asked him what he considers…
“我问他 迄今为止
the most important revelations
五角大楼文件
to date from the Pentagon documents.”
给了他什么最重要的启示”
“I think the lesson is the people of this country…
“我认为 这是一场教训
can’t afford to let the President
美国人♥民♥不能忍♥受
run the country by himself.
让总统自己一个人治理国家
Even foreign affairs any more than domestic affairs,
甚至是没有国会协助的情况下
without the help of Congress.
决定外交事务或内政事务
I was struck, in fact,
事实上 约翰逊总统
by President Johnson’s reaction…
面对这些被揭露的真♥相♥
to these revelations as close to treason.
所采取的行动让我很惊讶
Because it reflected to me the sense
因为这让我觉得
that what was damaging to the reputation…
无论是损害
of a particular administration,
政♥府♥声誉的行为
a particular individual…
还是损害某个人的名誉
was in itself treason.
这样的行为本身就是叛国
Which is very close to saying, “I am the State.”
这几乎等同说 “我就是国家权力””
But this is a self-governing country.”
“但这是一个自主治理的国家”
Ben?

“The Constitution provides for a separation of powers…”
“宪法规定了权力要分散…”
What on earth are you doing?
你究竟在干什么
《基♥督♥教科学箴言报》 五角大楼文件令美国颜面扫地
《圣路易斯邮报》 麦克纳马拉反对轰炸
《底特律自♥由♥新闻报》 美国法♥院♥就公布战争文件的禁令从轻发落
《波士顿环球报》 五角大楼秘密文件显露肯尼迪在越战中的真面目
They all followed your lead and published the papers.
他们都追随你的脚步 发表文章了
At least we’re not alone.
至少我们不是孤军奋战
No matter what happens tomorrow,
无论明天结果如何
we are not a little local paper anymore.
我们已不再是默默无闻的小报社了
I’d be very interested in your opinion.
我对你的观点很感兴趣
Sounds good.
很好
All right, I’ll see you at the first break.
那好 第一次休庭时我们再见
All right.

I am sorry.
对不起
Mrs. Graham, there’s an entrance
格雷厄姆夫人 那边有个入口
around the side for the appellants.
专门为上诉人而设
Oh, thank you very much.
非常谢谢你
I’m sorry I’m walking so fast.
很抱歉 我走得那么快
I was supposed to be here half hour ago…
我本应在半小时前就到这里…
but then I had to make copies of the brief
可是我得复印一大堆概要
and there was so much traffic…
路上又塞车
and you just wouldn’t think
你根本没想到
there’d be all these people, you know?
这里会挤得水泄不通 对吧
No, you wouldn’t. You work for Roger Clark then?
当然想不到 你在罗格·克拉克手下工作吗
I work for the government.
我在政♥府♥部门工作
The Solicitor General’s office.
具体是总检察长办公室
Oh. You’re on the other team.
你是我们的对头
Mrs. Graham…
格雷厄姆夫人
I probably shouldn’t say this.
也许我不该说这话
My brother, he’s still over there and…
我的哥哥 现在还在服役…
Well, I hope you win.
说真的 我希望你能打赢这场官司
Besides, I like someone
而且 我喜欢有人
telling these guys what’s what.
告诉这帮家伙 什么才是该做的
But don’t tell my boss I said that.
不过 不要告诉我上司这是我说的
He’d fire me just for talking to you.
他一旦发现我跟你谈话 就会炒我鱿鱼
Ben. How are ya, kid?
本 你好吗 小子
Fritz. Roger.
弗里茨 罗格
I told you to be here at eight.
我跟你说过要八点到场
Yes. I was here at eight,
是的 八点我就来到这里了
but Richard sent me back to make…
可理查德要我去…
Is Richard your boss?
理查德是你上司吗
No, but you weren’t here so…
不是 不过当时你不在 所以…
I don’t want excuses. Just take a seat.
我不需要听借口 坐下吧
Mrs. Graham.
格雷厄姆太太
Morning.
早啊
Morning, gentlemen. Good to see you.
早啊 先生们 很高兴见到你们
Kay. Punch, Abe.
凯 庞奇 亚伯
Nice to be on the same side for a change.
化敌为友 改变一下也不错
I’ll tell you what’s nice…
我来告诉你 什么才是不错
making the front page of your newspaper on a daily basis.
让你自己的报社每天登上头条新闻
Must be a lot of people from Boston
波士顿人都赶来华盛顿
to Washington reading about us.
来看我们的报道了
Yes…
是啊
well, I suppose it’s appropriate…
考虑现在的紧要关头
given what’s at stake.
审时度势还是必要的
All rise.
全体起立
The Honorable, the Chief Justice
有请 美♥利♥坚♥合众国最高法♥院♥
and the Associate Justices…
尊敬的首席大♥法♥官
of the Supreme Court of the United States.
以及副首席大♥法♥官 出庭
Oyez, oyez, oyez.
肃静 肃静 肃静
All persons having business before
所有最高法♥院♥
the Honorable of the Supreme Court…
的相关人等…
Mr. Rosenthal. Mr. Rosenthal.
罗森塔尔先生 罗森塔尔先生
Mr. Sulzberger, do you think
苏兹贝格先生 你认为
they’ll decide in your favor?
他们的决定对你有利吗
Well, overall we feel encouraged.
总体来说 我们感觉备受鼓舞
27 congressmen filed amicus briefs on our behalf.
二十七位国会议员已代表我们申请”非当事人意见陈述”
As well as the ACLU…
同样地 美国公民自♥由♥协会…
We should make a statement.
我们应该发表一下声明
You would think that’s her job.
这应该由她来做
I believe everything we had to say we’ve already said.
我认为 所有我们该说的都已经说了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!