Well, we could all go to prison.
我们都会坐牢的
Now putting that aside…
这个放一边不说…
Katharine, I’ve come to realize…
凯瑟琳 我开始意识到了…
just how much you have at stake.
你要冒多大的风险
Paul. Glad you’re here.
保罗 很高兴你来了
Fritz is sitting with Mrs. Graham now.
弗里茨正和格雷厄姆夫人座谈
And Ben is here.
本也在这里
Yes, I figured he would be.
对 我猜到他会在
Jesus Christ.
我的天
Mr. Bradlee, if you knew.
布莱德利先生 如果你知道
Mr. Bagdikian received the study…
巴格迪基安先生是从《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的
from the same source as The Times…
线人手中得到这些文件
I didn’t know because I’m not in the habit…
我不知道 因为我从不
of asking my reporters who their sources are…
问我的记者来源是什么
and if you’d spent any time
你只要在哪家报社多待上一会
at a real goddamn newspaper you’d know why.
就知道为什么了
You understand he’s trying to help you, Ben?
你知道他是想帮你的吧 本
Mrs. Graham, hi.
你好 格雷厄姆夫人
We can all…
我们都…
We can all appreciate why Ben wants to publish…
我们都理解为什么本想要公布这些文件
and if these papers had come from someone else…
如果这些文件是来自其他人手里…
we might have been able to skirt the issue.
我们就不必讨论这个话题了
Anything from the folks upstairs?
楼上编辑室有什么消息吗
No.
没有
We gotta start the run
我们得快点了
or we won’t get to the carriers on time.
不然就赶不及拿给送报员了
I disagreed with you earlier,
我之前不同意你
but I thought it brave. But this?
但我觉得这么做很勇敢 但现在呢
If we were to publish knowing this,
如果明知这种情况还要出版
it would just be irresponsible.
那就是不负责任了
Fritz, do you agree?
弗里茨 你同意吗
Well, I don’t particularly like the idea
我不希望凯
of Kay as a convicted felon.
成为一个重罪犯
And then there’s the issue of the prospectus.
还有招股书的问题
Based on the conversations I’ve had
我和我在卡拉瓦什的朋友
with my friends at Cravath…
谈过了…
I believe a criminal indictment
我相信一项刑事控告
would qualify as a catastrophic event.
足以成为灾难性事件
And given the likelihood of indictment now…
再加上现在控告的可能性看来…
Kay, it could…
凯 这能够…
Yes, I understand.
是的 我懂
We have a responsibility to the company…
我们对公♥司♥
to all the employees
对所有的员工
and to the long-term health of the paper.
及报纸的长♥期♥健康发展负有责任
Absolutely, Kay.
当然了 凯
Yes. However, um…
是的 不过…
The prospectus also talks about…
招股书也说了…
the mission of the paper, which is…
报纸的任务是…
“Outstanding news collection
“致力于做出色的新闻
And reporting,” Isn’t that right?
与报道” 对吗
Yes.
是这样
And…
而且…
And it also says…
而且还说了
that the newspaper will
这份报纸
“Be dedicated to the welfare of the nation…
“旨在为国家谋福利…
And to the, uh, principles of a free press…”
为自♥由♥出版争取一席之地…”
Yes, but…
是的 但是…
So, one could argue that the bankers were put on notice.
所以 银行家说的那些不是最重要的
But Kay, these are extraordinary circumstances.
可是 凯 现在是非常时期
Are they? Are they? For a newspaper?
是吗 真的吗 对报社来说是吗
One that covers the Nixon White House.
对为尼克森政♥府♥发表文章的报社来说才是吧
Can you guarantee me that we could go to print…
你能保证 一旦我们出版…
without endangering any of our soldiers?
不会危及我们士兵的安全吗
You can’t be considering…
你不会是在考虑…
I’m talking to Mr. Bradlee now.
我问的是布莱德利先生
Fritz, you’re not gonna let her do this.
弗里茨 你不能让她这样做
She can’t go to…
她不可以…
No, now, she can, Arthur.
不 此时此刻 她可以 亚瑟
And it’s entirely her decision.
决定权就在她手上
Kay, you’re allowing Mr. Bradlee…
凯 你就这样任由布莱德利先生摆布
to lead you to folly.
做出这种蠢事
The legacy of the company is at stake
报社的声誉岌岌可危
and if you want to protect that legacy…
如果你想维护这份声誉…
This company’s been in my life…
对我而言 这家报社举足轻重
for longer than most of the people
它历尽峥嵘岁月 屹立不倒
working there have been alive.
经营时间比大多数员工的岁数还要长
So, I don’t need the lecture on legacy.
因此 有关声誉的说教就给我免了吧
And this is no longer my father’s company.
况且 这报社已不是我先父的企业
It’s no longer my husband’s company.
也不是我先夫的企业
It’s my company.
而是我本人的企业
And anyone who thinks otherwise…
如果有人对此持反对意见
probably doesn’t belong on my board.
那就是跟我不在同一条船上的人
Can you guarantee me that we can go to…
你能保证 我们可以…
100%!
百分百保证
All right, then.
很好
My decision stands…
我不会改变决定的
and I’m going to bed.
我要睡觉去了
It’s Ben Bradlee. Run it.
我是本 布莱德利 动手吧
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
Start it up.
启动
Let’s go! Let’s go!
加油 加油
This is not a party, this is a war here!
这不是派对 而是战场
I’ve got the Assistant Attorney General.
我接到司法部长助理的电♥话♥
Put him on.
接过来
Good morning. Good morning.
早上好 早上好
This is William Rehnquist
我是威廉·轮奎斯特
from the Office of Legal Counsel at Justice.
来自司法部的法律顾问处
Yes, sir.
你好 先生
Mr. Bradlee, I have been advised
布莱德利先生
by the Secretary of Defense…
国防部长向本人举报…
that the material published
今早《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》
in The Washington Post this morning…
所出版的刊物…
contains information relating to
含有与美国国防部
the national defense of the United States…
相关的信息…
and bears a top-secret classification.
其内容属于最高机密等级
As such, the publication of this information…
因此 出版此类信息…
is directly prohibited by the Espionage Act…
违反了《美国联邦法典》第十八章
title 18 of the United States code, section 793.
第七百九十三节规定的”间谍法”
As publication will cause irreparable injury…
由于该出版物会对美国国防部
to the defense interests of the United States…
造成不可挽回的伤害…
美国推波助澜 延迟1954年的越南选举
《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》
I respectfully request that you publish
本人谨此要求 阁下不得再出版
no further information of this character…
此类性质的报道…
and advise me that you have made arrangements…
并且您需告知本人
for the return of these documents
您已计划将所述文件
to the Department of Defense.
妥善归还至国防部
Well, thank you for the call, Mr. Rehnquist…
谢谢您的来电 轮奎斯特先生
but I’m sure you understand I must respectfully decline.
不过你得明白 我必须也谨此拒绝你的要求
I appreciate your time.
谢谢你的时间
What’s next?
下一步该怎么做
We’re going to court. Today.
我们要上庭 就在今天
If we get a ruling in our favor, or The Times does…
如果裁决对我们有利 或者对《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》有利…
we’ll be at the Supreme Court sometime next week.
下周我们就得上最高法♥院♥
No, I wanna make sure all the dates
不行 我一定要把日期
are locked down between sixth…
限定在六号♥和…
We’re focusing on Johnson…
我们的重点是约翰逊…
I don’t want any more articles
我已经厌倦那些
just about shoes and about dresses.
关于鞋子衣服之类的文章了
Well, that’s where you’re wrong, Al.
这就是你不对的地方了 艾尔
I happen to be a woman and I know a few.
碰巧我就是一名女士 我还认识其他女士

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!