Well, there’s an extension in the living room.
起居室里还有一个分线电♥话♥
Liz, show them where, please? Thank you.
利兹 带他们过去 谢谢
Hello, Fritz?
你好 弗里茨
Hello, Kay. Would you like me to catch you up?
你好 凯 需要我跟你说一下现在的情况吗
I say we can, he says we can’t.
我说可以 他说不行
There, you’re caught up.
情况就是这样
Ben… Hello, it’s Art.
本 你好 我是亚瑟
Well, Ben, there are concerns here
本 这种事情已经
that are frankly above your pay grade.
轮不到你来决定了
Well, there’s a few above yours, Art,
那有些事情也轮不到你来决定 亚瑟
like fucking freedom of the press.
比方说那该死的出版自♥由♥
Let’s just be civil if we can.
大家都文明一点好吗
Do you think Nixon is going to be civil?
你觉得尼克松会跟我们讲文明吗
He is trying to censor the goddamn New York Times.
他可是把《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》告上法庭的人
Yes, The Times, not The Post.
对 那是《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》 不是《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》
It’s the same damn thing.
这不是一回事吗
This is an historic fight. If they lose, we lose.
这是历史性的战役 他们输了 我们也就输了
Hello? Is someone on the phone?
你好 有人在吗
This is Phil.
我是菲尔
Is that Phil Geyelin?
你是菲尔 盖林吗
Uh, yes, Mrs. Graham.
是的 格雷厄姆女士
Good. I’d like you to weigh in if you would…
好 可以的话 我希望你也来参与一下…
because I wanna know
因为我想听听其他
what the staff is feeling about this.
职员的想法是什么
Uh, well, frankly, Mrs. Graham…
坦率的讲 格雷厄姆女士
Ben Bagdikian and Chal Roberts
本·巴格迪基安和沙尔·罗伯茨
have, uh, both threatened to resign…
说如果我们不发表
if we don’t publish, that is.
他们就都辞职不干了
Come on, Kay, what do you expect?
得了吧 凯 你在想什么呢
They got nothing to lose.
我们又不会损失什么
Due respect, we all have everything
恕我直言 如果不发表
to lose if we don’t publish.
我们什么都没有了
What will happen to the reputation of this paper?
你想想这会对报纸的声誉产生什么样的影响
Everyone will find out we had the study.
所有人都会知道我们有这份文件
Hell, I bet half the town knows already.
我看半个城市的人都已经知道了
What will it look like if we sit on our asses?
如果我们不行动 他们会怎么看我们
It’ll look like we were prudent.
这说明我们很谨慎
It will look like we were afraid!
这说明我们害怕了
We will lose! The country will lose! Nixon wins!
我们会输 国家会输 尼克松会赢
Nixon wins this one, and the next one…
尼克松赢下这场 然后赢下一场
and all the ones after that, because we were scared.
他将战无不胜 就因为我们害怕了
Because the only way to assert
维护出版权的唯一方式
the right to publish is to publish.
就是去出版
Fritz.
弗里茨
Is Fritz there?
弗里茨在线上吗
Fritz, are you on?
弗里茨 你在线上吗
I’m here, Kay.
我在 凯
What do you think?
你有什么想法
What do you think I should do?
你觉得我该怎么做
I think…
我认为
there are arguments on both sides.
两边都有道理
Yeah.
是啊
But I guess I wouldn’t publish.
但我大概是不会发表的
Let’s go. Let’s do it.
做吧 我们做吧
Let’s go. Let’s go, let’s go. Let’s publish.
去吧 去吧 去吧 发表吧
What? Phil?
怎么样 菲尔
What’d she say?
她怎么说
We go.
我们要做
She says, we publish.
她说 我们要发表
Hot damn. My God.
帅气 我的天
Holy shit. Let’s get this out.
天啊 我们快把稿子写出来吧
Holy shit.
天啊
I need that, Meg. Sorry.
我需要那份文件 梅格 抱歉
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold your horses.
淡定淡定
I need the notes! Sorry.
给我那些笔记 抱歉
How many pages is it? 13.
有多少页 十三页
We got two hours to get it to the composing room.
我们有两个小时的时间把稿子送到排版间
I got it! Almost! Wait one moment. I’m typing.
知道了 马上了 等一下 打着字呢
All right.
好吧
Wait, wait, wait. Who’s taking it?
等等 谁负责送去
I got it.
我来
Call National desk.
给国内版打电♥话♥
Tell them Bagdikian is coming with the story.
告诉他们 巴格迪基安要送稿子过去了
Done!
完成
All right. Get it in the paper.
好了 把它印出来
Editorial meeting.
编辑会议
Ben? Yeah? Thanks.
本 谢了
Good job, Murrey.
干得漂亮 穆瑞
That it? That’s it.
就是这个 就这个
You… You got half an hour.
你… 你有半个小时校对
I’m not sure how much thought
我不知道在做这个决定之前
you’ve put into this decision…
你考虑了多久…
but we still have time.
不过我们还有时间
The print deadline is not ’til midnight.
印刷的截止时间是午夜十二点
I know when the print deadline is.
我知道截止时间是什么时候
Look, I’m still learning how to do this,
听着 我还在想怎么跟你说
but everything I know about business…
但是以我对这个行业的了解…
tells me you’re making a serious mistake here.
你犯了一个非常严重的错误
One that will cost you and your paper dearly,
这个决定会毁了你自己 毁了你的报纸
and hurt every person gathered here.
还会伤害到在场的每个人
Not to mention, the hundreds of others who work for you.
更别说为你工作的数百名员工
I’m just trying to put my thoughts together.
我整理一下思路
Kay, all I want is what is best
凯 我一心为了
for you and your business.
你和你的企业
But I just got off the phone with a couple of bankers…
但我刚刚和几个银行家通过电♥话♥…
and they think it’s possible, likely even…
如果你执意发表这份文件
that a number of their institutional investors…
他们的机构投资者极有可能
will pull out if you go ahead and publish.
会撤股
And if they pull out, Kay…
而且一旦他们撤股 凯…
You got a couple of hours.
你还有几个小时
For your sake,
为自己考虑考虑
and for the sake of every one of your employees…
为你的每一位员工考虑考虑
I hope you will reconsider.
我希望你三思后行
Give me the canister.
给我罐子
Get it downstairs…
送下楼去
and I want the page editor standing over Lino
我要排版编辑监督着莱诺
’til they got it ready to print.
直到他们开始印刷
Okay.
好
Mr. Bagdikian.
巴格迪基安先生
I need to know your source.
我需要知道你的线人是谁
I thought I was clear earlier.
我以为我们之前说得够清楚了
Well, we weren’t going to press earlier.
之前我们没说要出版
Yeah, well, my answer’s the same.
那好 我还是这个答案
“This action has been commenced to enjoin.
“这种行为已被禁止
The New York Times and their agents…
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》及其代理出版
From further disseminating or disclosing
不得再传播或泄露
Certain alleged top secret documents.”
所谓的最高机密文件”
Are you trying to piss me off?
你这是要惹怒我吗
No. Not me. Judge Gurfein.
不是我 是格尔芬法官
If you look at the text of his restraining order…
如果你看了他的限制令
I read his restraining order.
我读过他的限制令
So then you know that if The Times was your source…
那你就该知道 如果《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》是你的线人…
we would be in direct violation…
我们就直接违反了限制令
I did not get the study from The Times.
我不是从《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》得到的文件
You’re sure?
你确定吗
We done?
说完了吗
Did you get it from their source?
那你从他们的线人那里得到的吗
Excuse me?
你再说一遍
Did you get the study
你和《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》
from the same source as The Times?
是从同一个线人手里得到这些文件的吗