and someone who knows how much you care about this company…
我知道你非常关心报社…
I’m worried, Kay.
但我为你担忧 凯
I worked in Washington for ten years,
我在华盛顿工作了十年
I’ve seen these people up close.
近距离接触过这些大人物
Bobby and Lyndon, they were tough customers,
罗比和林登是很难对付的角色
but Nixon is different.
但尼克松和他们不一样
He’s got some real bad people around him.
他身边有一些很厉害的人物
And if you publish he’ll get the very worst of them.
如果你发表了 他会派最狠的人来
The Colsons and the Ehrlichmans
科尔森和埃利希曼
and he’ll crush you.
他会毁了你
I know he’s just awful, but I…
我知道他很可怕 但我…
Nixon’s a son of a bitch! He hates you.
尼克松就是个混♥蛋♥ 他讨厌你
He hates Ben.
他讨厌本
He’s wanted to ruin the paper for years…
他想毁掉报业不是一天两天的事了
and you will not get a second chance, Kay.
发表了你就没有回头路了 凯
The Richard Nixon I know will muster
我可以肯定 理查德·尼克松会
the full power of the presidency…
极尽总统之力来毁掉你…
and if there’s a way to destroy your paper,
如果有办法能摧毁你的报社
by God, he’ll find it.
相信我 他会找到的
Rublish information that harms national security.
有些信息会威胁国♥家♥安♥全♥
I told you, there is nothing in there.
我告诉过你 没有不法信息
If there is, the paper will be prosecuted.
如果有 报纸会被起诉的
Isn’t that why you’re here?
所以你才会在这儿啊
Yes, Ben, but if we lose…
没错 本 但如果我们失败了
With what we pay you, you really shouldn’t lose.
看看我们付你的钱 你真不该输
Ben, you need to listen to them.
本 你要听他们的意见
Hey, Fritz. Good to see you.
嗨 弗里茨 很高兴见到你
This is about the future of the company
这事关企业的未来
and ensuring there is one.
还事关企业能不能有未来
That’s a little melodramatic, don’t you think?
这就有点耸人听闻了 不是吗
Melodramatic? You’re talking about
耸人听闻 我们说的可是
exposing years of government secrets.
将政♥府♥封锁多年的机密公之于世
I can’t imagine they’re gonna take that lightly.
我可不认为政♥府♥会轻易放过我们
You could jeopardize the public offering.
你的行为会危及公♥司♥的上市计划
You could jeopardize our television stations.
会危及我们的电视台
You know a felon can’t hold a broadcast license.
你知道罪犯不能持有广播许可证的
You think I give two shits about the television stations?
你觉得我会在乎什么电视台吗
You should. They make a hell of
你该在乎 政♥府♥的资金要比
a lot more money than you do…
你的资金雄厚得多
and without that revenue we’ll be forced to sell.
没有这些收入 我们将不得不出♥售♥资产
If the government wins and we’re convicted…
如果政♥府♥胜诉 我们败诉
The Washington Post as we know it will cease to exist.
那么我们所熟知的《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》将不复存在
If we live in a world where the government
如果我们所处的世界是政♥府♥
can tell us what we can and cannot print…
来告诉我们什么该发表 什么不该发表…
then The Washington Post as we know it
那么我们所熟知的《华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥》
has already ceased to exist.
的确是不复存在了
What if we wait?
不如我们先等一等
What if we hold off on printing today
我们今天先不公布
and instead we call the Attorney General…
而是先去通知司法部长…
and we tell him that we intend to print on Sunday?
告诉他我们打算在周日的报纸上公布这些文件
That way we give them and us time
这样双方都有时间喘口气
to figure out the legality of all of it…
我们正好趁着法庭审判《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》一案时…
while the court in New York decides The Times’ case.
弄清楚这些文件到底合不合法
You’re suggesting we alert the Attorney General…
你是说让我们提前提醒司法部长
to the fact that we have these documents…
我们有这些机密文件
that we’re going to print in a few days?
我们会在几天之后刊登出来
Well, yes, that is the idea.
是的 我就是这个意思
Yeah, well…
好吧
outside of landing the Hindenburg
除了兴登堡号♥飞艇选择在
in a lightning storm…
雷电交加之际降落以外…
that’s about the shittiest idea I’ve ever heard.
这是我听过最扯的主意
Oh, boy.
老天啊
Oh, here’s the man of the hour.
这不是那个风云人物吗
Kay.

For you.
敬你
I’m found.
我找回自己了
Thank you, Kay.
谢谢你 凯
You didn’t have to go through all this trouble.
你不必如此兴师动众
No, we had to turn them away at the door.
不 我们要把他们拦在门口
Didn’t we, dear?
不是吗 亲爱的
Thanks.
谢谢
Gene. Mrs. Graham.
吉恩 格雷厄姆夫人
So, everything okay?
一切都好吗
Uh, it’s gotten pretty hot over at Ben’s house.
本家里现在战况焦灼
Oh, things are not going well?
事情不太顺利吗
No. Ben and Mr. Beebe are at real loggerheads.
对 本和毕比先生相持不下
Fritz and Ben on opposite sides?
弗里茨和本意见不统一
I made a commitment to publish these papers.
我向别人承诺过要公布这些文件的
Excuse me. Pardon me.
抱歉 让一下
The whole staff will revolt, if we don’t publish.
如果我们不发表 编辑部所有人都会反对
Meg, I hardly think people are gonna resign.
梅格 我才不觉得那些人会辞职呢
Enjoying the fight?
看热闹看得高兴吗
Yeah, who’s winning?
当然 谁要赢了
Nixon. I didn’t see him come in.
尼克松 我可没见到他进来
Really? He’s got his hand so far up Fritz’s ass.
真的吗 我倒觉得他操纵着弗里茨呢
Where is Fritz?
弗里茨去哪了
That is not at all what I’m saying. No.
我不是这个意思 我没这么说
Not in so many words, but you’re a bunch of lawyers.
别说这么多 你们可是律师啊
Will you cut through the shit!
你能别说这些废话了吗
Is the profanity necessary?
有必要骂脏话吗
If we’re not gonna publish,
如果我们不发表
why are we busting our rear ends, Ben?
我们为什么还要在这码字 本
Just keep writing.
先写着
Can you stop playing Chopsticks?
你能别在这摸鱼了吗
We’re not gonna get it wrong!
我们可不能会错意了
What’s up there, Fritz?
你在干什么 弗里茨
Calling Kay.
给凯打电♥话♥
I’m sorry, Ben. I know you want this.
我很抱歉 本 我知道你想发表
There will be another one.
下次还会有机会的
Like hell there will be.
有个鬼的机会
Given the sensitive circumstances…
考虑到现在敏感的状况
Sensitive circumstances? Really?
敏感的状况 真的吗
How would you describe it?
你要怎么描述
Uh, well, we’re trying to make a story.
我们会尽力圆好一个故事
Hello. Hello, I’m making a telephone call.
你好 我想打个电♥话♥
Yeah, well, it’s my house.
这是我家 我做主
So I’ll be on the call. All right, Ben.
所以我也要听 好的 本
I just want to thank you all for coming out this evening…
感谢大家能在今晚到场
to help me launch Harry Gladstein…
和我一起庆祝哈利·格莱德斯坦
and his new sailboat…
和他的新帆船在
into the Chesapeake Bay.
切萨皮克港湾下水
And into his very well earned retirement.
以及他今后就光荣退休了
Let me just tell you a little bit about
容我讲一点小事来解释为什么
why I’m so wild about Harry.
我这么喜欢哈利
Mrs. Graham. It’s Mr. Beebe on the phone.
格雷厄姆女士 毕比先生打来电♥话♥
In 1949, wasn’t it?
在1949年 对吧
Uh, Phil Graham first brought Harry to the company.
菲尔 格雷厄姆第一次带哈利来公♥司♥
I’m afraid they need you now. And I remember, he told me…
恐怕是很急的事 我记得 他告诉我
Mrs. Graham.
格雷厄姆女士
They need you now.
他们要您马上接电♥话♥
Oh, dear. I’m so sorry.
老天 太不好意思了
Forgive me, Harry. Yeah.
请原谅我 哈利 好吧
I think I’ll have to suspend.
我想我得失陪一下了
Well, you’re paying the overtime.
那你要付加班费
I’ll be right back.
我马上就回来
I’m so sorry, Mrs. Graham.
我很抱歉 格雷厄姆女士
Yeah.
好的
We should wait.
我们该等等
Yeah, I understand, Ben, but if you wait a day…
我明白 本 但如果你等一天的话
Fritz on the phone for me? We should be on this call.
弗里茨要和我说话 我们都要参与这次谈话

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!