Inflation. Price is going up.
通货膨胀 价格上涨了
Mr. Bradlee.
布莱德利先生
Roger Clark.
罗格·克拉克
Oh, you’re Roger Clark?
你就是罗格·克拉克
It’s nice to meet you in person.
很高兴见到你本人
You are our senior legal counsel.
你是我们的高级法律顾问
Yes, we’ve spoken on the phone.
是的 我们在电♥话♥上聊过
My voice should sound familiar.
我的声音听上去应该很耳熟
When did you finish law school?
你什么时候从法学院毕业的
I graduated… Rhetorical question.
我从… 用不着回答
You know, the guy we had before you
之前的那个顾问
is now Secretary of State.
现在成了国务卿
I did not know that.
我不知道这件事
A little joke, perhaps not the time.
开个小玩笑 有点不合时宜
What exactly can I help you with…
你需要我帮些什么…
So, why would the CIA Director send a memo on war policy?
中情局局长为什么会写关于作战方针的备忘录
Because they weren’t calling it a war yet.
因为那时候他们还没把越战称为战争
Okay, I’ve got turkey with mustard.
我做了芥末火鸡口味的
Roast beef with horseradish.
还有辣根烤牛肉口味的
Howard, come look at this. Chal, you’ve gotta see this.
霍华德 来看看这个 沙尔 你得看看这个
It’s a full analysis of McNamara’s
这里完整分♥析♥了麦克纳马拉
changing view of the war.
对战争态度的转变
Does it say anything about why he does?
有写他为什么改观吗
So we knew they were gonna assassinate Diem.
我们明知他们要刺杀吴庭艳
Yeah, and we did nothing to stop it.
却完全没有阻止
I think I got something on McNamara on the fireplace.
壁炉上的文件有说到麦克纳马拉
The other fireplace.
另一个壁炉上的
Murrey, where’s the back half of this one?
穆瑞 这份东西的后半段呢
What’s the thing you just gave me?
你刚刚给我的是什么
Tell me these aren’t the classified documents
别告诉我这是麦克纳马拉研究里的
from the McNamara study.
机密文件
4,000 pages of ’em.
整整四千页
Hungry? I need to use a phone.
饿了吗 我要用一下电♥话♥
There’s one in the other room.
另一个房♥间里有一台
Two. Is that it?
二 是那个吗
This is it. This is it.
就是这个 就是这个
This is the other half of it.
这就是另一半
Oh, my God.
天哪
Hi. Thanks for letting me drop by.
你好 谢谢你允许我过来
Marg still napping? Yeah.
玛格还在睡吗 是的
Do you mind if we talk in the sunroom?
你介意在日光室里聊吗
Just so I can hear her if she wakes.
这样如果她醒了 我能听到
No, of course not. I can’t stay long.
当然不行 我待不了太长时间
I’ve got a big event at the house later.
一会儿我还有重要的事要办
I guess you’ve read everything now.
我猜你已经读过报道了
Yes, I have. I have, yes.
是的 我已经读过了
And I went over it again this morning.
今早我又读了一遍
All of it.
一字不落
And I just…
我只是…
Forgive me, Bob, I know you’re dealing with so much…
请原谅我 鲍勃 我知道你要做出很多决策…
but it’s just so hard to try to make sense of why.
但我实在想不通你怎么
Of how you could have done all these things.
能做出这些事
How you could just lie to us all.
怎么能对我们所有人撒谎
Well, it’s easy for the papers to characterize us as liars.
报纸把我们描述为骗子是很正常的事
We were just trying to push back…
我们只是想回击…
No, but you let it go on and on and on.
但你却对这些谎言视而不见
My son is home now and safe, thank God.
感谢老天 我的儿子能平安回家
But you watched him go.
但当初你可是看着他上战场的
You knew we couldn’t win over there…
你知道这场战争我们不可能打赢
for years and years and years, and yet you let me…
这么多年以来 你让我…
you let so many of our friends send our boys off.
让我们的朋友把儿子送上战场
Kay, we were doing the best we could.
凯 我们已经尽力而为了
It was domino theory, containment…
多米诺理论 遏制政策都试过了…
and eventually we felt
最后我们意识到
that military pressure was the only thing…
只有在军事上施加足够的压力…
that was gonna drive Ho Chi Minh to the table.
才能把胡志明逼上谈判桌
Our decision-making process was…
我们的决策过程是…
Flawed.
有疏漏的
It was flawed. That’s what your study said.
它是有疏漏的 你的报告上是这样写的
Yes.
是的
I do believe that you were trying to do your best…
我相信你已经作出了最大的努力…
and I know how difficult it can be
我也知道做出这些选择对你而言
to make choices that will…
是有多困难…
That’s kind of you.
感谢你的体谅
Well, what comes next might not be so kind.
接下来的事情可能不能这么体谅你了
You have the papers.
你有一家报纸
Let’s just say…
这么说吧…
I may have a big decision to make.
我要做出一项重大决定
They will argue it’s a violation
他们会指控你这样做
of the Espionage Act.
违反了间谍法
That is a felony, Ben.
这可是重罪 本
That’s only if the documents we print
要想构成罪行 除非我们公布的文件
could damage the United States.
足以损害到国家利益
There’s a federal judge in New York
纽约的联邦法官
who seems to think that they could.
似乎就是这么认为的
Well, I’ve got six seasoned journalists
隔壁就是我那六名经验
in the next room…
丰富的记者…
who’ve been reporting on this war for the last ten years…
他们已经跟踪报道这场战争十多年了
and I’ll lay odds that they have a better idea…
我敢打赌他们比那些联邦法官
of what could damage the United States
更清楚什么才会真正损害
than some judge…
国家利益…
who is just now wading
要知道 这帮法官如今
into this territory for the first time.
才第一次涉足这个事件
“Wading.” Is that a metaphor for Vietnam?
“涉足” 你只是在暗喻越南战争吗
Okay. Ben, look, we know your reporters are talented.
本 我知道你手下的记者很能干
But The New York Times spent three months
但《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》花了三个月
going over these documents.
来浏览这些文件
You’ve got, what, seven hours now
而你只有七个小时
until the paper goes to press?
之后报纸就要送去打印了
Can you honestly tell me that that is enough time…
你说实话 你有足够的时间…
to make sure not a single military plan,
不会有任何军事计划
not a single U. S. Soldier…
任何一位美国士兵
not a single American life will be put in harm’s way?
任何一位美国公民的生命会受到威胁
That this will do no damage
你能确保报纸出版之后
to the United States if you publish?
不会损害美国的利益
Yes.
是的
You’re sure about that?
你确定吗
No!
不
That’s why I’ve called you guys.
要不然我把你们喊过来干什么
Look, Kay, I know why The Times ran the story
凯 我知道为什么《纽约时代》会报道这个事情
but you need to understand…
但你必须理解…
the study was for posterity.
这项研究是给后代看的
It was written for academics in the future…
是为了日后对这场战争的学术研究而写的…
and right now we’re still in the middle of the war.
现在我们仍处于战争之中
The papers can’t be objective.
所以报纸不可能做到客观报道
And I suppose the public has a right to know…
虽说公众享有知情权…
but I would prefer that the study
但我更希望这项研究
not be made widely available…
在能够得到客观看待之前
until it can be read with some perspective. You understand.
还是不要公之于众 你明白我的意思吗
We’ve been through a lot, haven’t we?
我们一起走过了那么多风风雨雨
You and Marg were there for me…
在我最落魄的时候…
at the lowest point of my life.
你和玛格拉了我一把
You helped me, you selected my entire board…
你帮了我 你帮我挑选了整个董事会的人选
you’re my most trusted advisor…
你是我最信任的顾问
my dear friend.
最好的朋友
But my feelings about that and about you…
但我对你的种种感情不会…
can’t be part of this decision to publish or not.
影响我要不要发表的决定
I’m here asking your advice, Bob…
我是来听听你的意见的 鲍勃
not your permission.
不是征求你的许可
Well, then as one of your most trusted advisors…
那么作为你最信任的顾问之一…