使大部分的利润和商品都归迪士尼所有
and Disney left the majority of the profits and merchandising with Disney,
对皮克斯而言 这是一个长♥期♥的灾难
a long-term disaster for Pixar.
从财务上来看 要是一部片不赚钱
Financially, if one film did not do well,
我们就会从地球上消失
we would be wiped off the face of the earth.
所以我们发现 我们得成为一个工作室
We realized then that we had to become a studio,
而不只是一个制♥作♥公♥司♥
rather than just a production company.
为了达到目的 我们需要资金
And in order to do that, we were going to need capital.
就是那个时候 我们决定公开上市
So that’s when we decided we had to go public.
这家公♥司♥结合的真的是
lt was a combination of things
前所示见的才能 创造力 科技 生意
that really hadn’t been accomplished before. Creativity, technology, business.
而且他是一家具有能力 可以挺身对抗巨人的小公♥司♥
And it was a small company with those capabilities going up against giants.
《玩具总动员》上映一周后
NARRATOR: One week afterTot Story’s release,
皮克斯成为该看首次上市股价最高的公♥司♥
Pixar became the highest IPO of the year.
当初投资1000万美元的史蒂夫 募集到一亿三千二百万美元
From a $10 million investment, Steve raised $132 million.
那一次公开上市非常成功 我们有钱在银行里
lt was a wildly successful IPO , we got the money in the bank.
不久之后
And then, shortly thereafter,
迪士尼向我们提出要延长合约
Disney came to us and said, “We want to extend the contract.”
史蒂夫说“好啊 只要我们的利润能均分就可以”
And Steve said, “Okay, we will extend it if we can be fifty-fifty partners.”
他们说“好啊 就这么办”
And they said, “Okay, we’ll do that.”
所以他一下子就把这件事情谈成了
So he actually nailed this right on the head.
我真是佩服他
l was in awe.
这真的很不真实
DARLA ANDERSON: lt was just really surreal
以前我们还得骑着滑板车到空的办公室
that we had gone from riding around on scooters past empty offices,
去找找看有没有多余的办公设备
looking for extra office supplies,
现在却突然成功了
to this meteoric success, really.
我们所在的位置叫里奇蒙德
JOBS: We were in a place called Point Richmond,
距离几座炼油厂只有两英里远
which was two miles away from a few refineries.
每年我们都得撤离好几次
A few times a year, we’d have evacuation days
因为这些炼油厂会散发 一些美妙的化学混合物到空气中
’cause the refineries would spew some wonderful chemical concoction into the air.
皮克斯的设备随着公♥司♥成长
Pixar’s facilities grew with the company,
因此这里也越来越乱
which meant that they were a hodgepodge.
动画部牛棚是一栋很神奇的建筑
CATMULL: The animation bullpen was this amazing building,
由于不合消防法规 所以可能不应该使用
probably not legal at all because of fire code.
它看起来像一个游乐场
RANDY NELSON: lt looked like a playground.
管理松散 气氛自♥由♥又很吵闹
lt was loose, it was free, it was rough.
还像200个人共用一间大学宿舍一样
lt was like 200 people sharing a college dorm room.
在那里你可以任意在墙上画画
lt was a place where you could go and draw on the wall,
或在墙上挖洞 而不用觉得抱歉
or make a hole in the wall and not feel bad about it.
这栋建筑里有一股会传染的热诚气氛
There was this infectious enthusiasm in the building.
在我的想象中
lt’s like l imagined it must be like, say,
假设有一个人坐在桌子旁边边编写剧本
for the guys in Monty Python to be sitting around a table, writing material.
那你绝对会看到一堆人挤在桌子旁边 七嘴八舌地提供意见
You’d expect there to be this great creative feeding frenzy at the table,
而我们的情况就是这个样子
and that’s what we had.
大家都很天真 很贴心 真是一段美好的时光
lt was so innocent and so sweet, and it was really, really a great time.
很多人都说
CATMULL: A lot of people said,
恭喜你们 你们做到了你们想做的
“Congratulations. You guys did what you said you were gonna do,
所以大家都有飘飘欲仙的感觉
“and you spent your whole careers doing it.”
但是一切过去以后
So there was this great feeling of elation,
反而觉得“接下来怎么办?”
and then when it was done it was like, “Now what?”
这在业界是很常有的事
There’s a classic thing in business,
你可以称之为第二部作品综合症
which is the second product syndrome, if you will,
就是一家公♥司♥他的第一个作品非常成功
and that is companies that have a really successful first product,
但是他们也不太清楚那部作品为什么那么成功
but they don’t quite understand why that product was so successful.
可是他们的野心变大 他们变得不踏实
And their ambitions grow, and they get much more grandiose,
于是第二部作品就失败了
and their second product fails.
信不信由你 苹果电脑就是那样
Believe it or not, Apple was one of those companies.
苹果电脑第一个真正上市的产品是苹果第二代
The Apple ll, Apple’s first real product in the marketplace,
它成功得不得了 但是苹果第三代却无人问津
was incredibly successful and the Apple lll was a dud.
我是熬过来了
And so l lived through that,
但是我看过很多公♥司♥ 没能熬过那个阶段
and l’ve seen a lot of companies not make it through that.
我的感觉是 只要我们能完成第二部电影 我们就成功了
My feeling was if we got through our second film, we’d make it.
最大的恐惧是 你能让奇迹再度出现吗?
The bigger fear was just, can you find that lightning in a bottle again?
第二回合 你还能让自己有恋爱的感觉吗?
Can you make yourself as in love the second time around,
你发现这一次你得非常努力
and you realize you have to actually work now
才能让自己保有在第一回合毫不费力就有的天真心态
at making yourself as naive as you were in the first round without any effort.
世界上最糟糕的事就是让画家
There’s nothing worse than any artist
面对他们的第二件作品
facing their second big piece of work, right?
因为这个时候你才会发现
‘Cause it’s the point at which you find out whether
别人对你的报道是不是夸大其词
everything that’s been written about you is just hype,
你是已经翻过去的历史
and you’re yesterday’s news,
还是真的有一身好本事
or whether you maybe really are the real deal.
我在这一行学到了 在上一部作品中有效的戏法
One of the things l learned is the tricks that worked on the last movie
在下一部作品中不一定有效
don’t necessarily work on this movie.
你心里想 “哦 我们拍了《玩具总动员》”
You know, you think, “Oh, we made Toy Story.
“它很成功 我们知道该怎么做了”
“This is good. Oh, we know how. . . What we’re doing now!”
但是当你开始拍《虫虫危机》
And then you start on a movie like Bug’s Life,
你就是得从头开始学起
and you’re back in kindergarten again.
研究工作就在皮克斯的后院进行
LASSETER: Research was literally done out in front of Pixar, in our own backyard.
我们订购了非常小的录影摄影机
We ordered this tiny little video camera.
我们称之为虫虫机 把它装在一根棍子的末端
We called it the bug-cam, and put it on the end of a stick.
下面装上用乐高积木组成的轮子
And we put little wheels from Lego on the bottom of it,
这样我们就能让它到处跑
and we were able to wheel it around and
从距离地面半英寸的高度来看东西
literally look at things from a half an inch above the ground.
透过虫虫机
The one thing we noticed from this bug-cam
我们发现所有东西都变得很透明
was how translucent everything was.
这令人震惊
lt was breathtaking.
皮克斯为迪士尼拍第二部电影
NARRATOR: For their second film with Disney,
为了再度证明自己的能力
Pixar set out to prove themselves again,
他们的故事更复杂 规模更大 而且是有生命的角色
with a bigger story, scope and organic characters.
Here l go. For the colony! And for oppressed ants everywhere!
虫虫危机是第一部宽银幕电脑动画电影
NARRATOR: A Bug’s Life was the first computer-animated wide-screen movie.
Oh. The city!
l represent a colony of ants, and l’m looking for tough bugs.
You know, mean bugs. The sort of bugs. . .
A talent scout!
My colony’s in trouble! Grasshoppers are coming.
We’ve been forced to prepare all this food !
-Dinner theater! -Food !
Please! Will you help us?
This is it! This is Ant lsland !
DOT: Flik! Over here! Flik! Flik!
皮克斯的人似乎特别喜欢想些困难的点子
They seem to relish the idea, at Pixar, of doing something difficult
然后再设法用有创意 又有娱乐性的办法解决问题
and then seeing how to solve the problems in a creative and entertaining way.
What did you do?
lt was an accident?
世上总有一些我们还没发明的东西
ANDERSON: There’s always something that we haven’t invented yet.
身为制♥作♥人得仰赖研发部门想出解决的办法
So, as a producer, you are trusting a lot of R&D to come through in the right time.
你既要推动很多事情 还要下赌注
And you’re pushing a lot of things and you’re gambling
你得看着他们的眼睛问他们
and you’re looking at people’s eyes and you’re saying,
“你能帮我做出来吗?”
“Can you do this for me?”
那是个庞大的故事
LASSETER: lt was just a giant story.
有太多的角色 太多的情节
Too many characters, too much going on
可是我们全沉溺在其中
and we were just drowning in this thing.
于是制♥作♥人去跟约翰说
ANDERSON: So the producer goes to John and says,
“约翰 我们做的群众戏
“John, we technologically cannot do crowd shots
画面里面的蚂蚁不能超过50只”
“with more than 50 ants in them.
“你设计的电影能不能不要超过这个限制”
“So can you design the movie around this limitation?”
他说“如果这就是你的极限 我可以接受”
And he said, “l’m willing to accept that if that’s all you can do,
“可是我认为你们能做得更好”
“but l think you guys can do better.”
于是他帮忙组成群众戏的小组
So he helped formulate this crowd team.
他相信他们 鞭策他们
He believed in them, he pushed them
最后他们成了这部电影的英雄
and at the end of the day, they were the heroes of the movie.
You ants stay back!
借由新技术的提升
NARRATOR: Through new technological advancements,
皮克斯的画家将原本50只的群众戏 增加为431只
Pixar artists transformed 50 original crowd shots into 431 ,
并且让这种小小生物的史诗画面跃上银幕
and brought an epic of miniature proportions to the screen.
皮克斯打破第二部作品综合症
Pixar broke through the second film syndrome
《虫虫危机》则成为1998年获利最高的动画电影
and A Bug’s Life became the highest-grossing animated film of 1998.
连续导完两部电影之后
After directing two back-to-back films,
约翰结束国际宣传之旅 回到老家
John returned home from the international promotional tour,
现在他需要好好休息一下
now ready for a much-needed break.
我太累了
l was exhausted.
我的家人很少看到我
My family hadn’t seen much of me
我们打算好好体息一个暑假
and we were going to take the summer off.
《虫虫危机》的制♥作♥进入最后一个阶段时
Coming down the home stretch of Bug’s Life,
我们都觉得很沮丧
we were all feeling stressed.
因为约翰经常不在家
And, you know, we had been sharing John a lot.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!