as a gift from God.
与每一夜视为天主的恩典
Without struggle.
而且毫不挣扎
It seems impossible, but when I say my culpa to you next…
想起来很不可思议,不过 我下回要告罪时
I don’t think I’ll have any imperfections against the Rule to proclaim.
应该不会有任何的违规行为了
Except that tonight
只不过今天晚上
you talked during the Grand Silence.
你在大静默期间说话了
That’s a whole week of normal.
整个星期都是正常的
You’re allowed to have pride, Doctor.
你可以感到骄傲的,医师
Take pride in your cure.
为你治愈病人感到自豪吧
Are you cured?
你已经好了吗?
The slides and the temperature seem to….
我的化验跟体温似乎都正常了
It’ll be good to have you back in surgery.
你能回到手术室的话 那就太好了
It’ll be good to be useful again.
能回去帮忙,感觉才好
Don’t rush it, Sister.It’s not going to be easy to return to the community.
不用急,修女 再回到你的团体并非易事
Even to this select little gathering here in the Congo.
即使是你们在刚果 这个小小的团体也一样
I’m going to miss this.
我会想念这里的
Well.
哦
At least he’s curious.
至少他很好奇
If I could only get him into the chapel Christmas Eve.
如果我能让他在圣诞夜走进教堂就好了
Well, what do you think of it, Ilunga?
嗯,你看怎样,伊伦加?
It’s for the chapel.
是为教堂做的
Christmas Eve.
圣诞夜要用的
Come in. Come in and have a look at it.
进来,进来看看
I’m afraid not this year.
今年恐怕还不行
I would give anything if I could convert him.
我愿不计一切代价 让他改信天主
Mama
姆姆
You spoil them, Sister.
你把他们宠坏了,修女
It’s one of our building boys who’s come for first aid.
是我们的一个建筑工人 来急救的
You think if you bandage their fingers, you’ll get their souls.
你以为帮他们的手指头上绷带 就可以拯救他们的灵魂
Well, maybe you’re right.
哦,也许你说对了
No, inside. Dispensary.
不,在里面,在诊疗所里
No, inside.
不,在里面
Ilunga, help me lift her.
伊伦加,帮我抬她起来
Ilunga.
伊伦加
She is dead, Reverend Mother.
她死了,院长
Ilunga.
伊伦加
If you’re on your way to contagion, please take these to Sister Raphael.
如果你要到感染区 请把这个交给拉斐尔修女
I don’t understand. What?
我不明白 什么?
You’re not angry with us?
你没有生我们的气?
There’s no place in our hearts for anger. But this killing, Mama Luke.
我们的心里没有生气的空间 不过,这是杀人事件
Not even then.
在事发当时也没生气
Why did he do it, Ilunga?
他为什么要杀人,伊伦加?
A witch doctor told him that if he killed a white woman…
一个巫医说 如果他能杀死一个白人女性
he’d be rid of the ghost of his dead wife.
就可以甩脱亡妻的鬼魂
I feel sorry for him.
我为他感到遗憾
If such a death happened with us…
如果这种死亡事件发生在我们身上 我们会把他绑在木桩上
we’d tie the murderer to a stake and cut his body for fish bait.
再把他剁碎喂鱼 可是我们不会
But we would not. We’ve been taught to forgive.
我们被教导要宽恕别人
That’s what you must try and make the other boys understand.
这就是你必须尽力 让你其他的伙伴了解的
Tell the boys we hope they’ll all come to chapel Christmas Eve.
跟他们说 希望他们圣诞夜都能到教堂来
Maybe even you, Ilunga.
也许你也能来,伊伦加
Sometime this afternoon we’ll discus the Englebert case.
今天下午我们找个时间 讨论安格贝的案子
I want to give you instructions for the trip.
这趟旅程我想给你一些指示 旅程?
The trip? Yes. Hasn’t Mother Mathilde told you?
对,曼婷院长没告诉你吗? 什么?
What?I have to send you back to Belgium. With the Englebert case.
我得把你跟安格贝这个病患 一起送回比利时去
You are the only one qualified. The only one we can possibly send.
你是唯一有资格 是我们唯一能派出的人选
He is important to the colony.
他是殖民地重要的人
And we can only avoid a complete mental breakdown…
唯有送他回比利时 住进设备完善的疗养院
if we get him to a sanitarium with proper facilities.
才能避免他的精神完全崩溃
Of course, Mother.
那当然,院长
I hope the Mother House will return you to us as soon as possible.
我希望总会院 能尽快让你回到我们这里
In the meantime, at long last…
同时,他们最终
they are sending me another sister with qualifications similar to yours.
还是派出一个 跟你的资历相似的修女给我
Dr. Fortunati will give you instructions about the case.
佛图纳提医师会针对这个病患 给你进一步的指示
We shall all miss you.
我们大家都会想念你的
You’ll have native guards to help you on the train as far as the coast.
海岸线这趟火车的旅途 你将有原住民守卫协助你
After that, the ship’s doctor will share the responsibility.
之后,会有船医分担你的责任
I’ll give you a supply of sedatives in case he needs them.
我会给你镇定剂补给品 以防他有需要
Do you think they’ll send you back here?I don’t know.
你觉得他们会派你回来吗? 我不知道
There’s going to be a war in Europe. I know.
欧洲就要发生战争 我知道
They tell me somebody else is coming out to fill in for you or take your place.
听说,会有人来补你的缺 或来代替你
Yes.
对
Somebody else will have to train her.
那别人就需要训练这个新人
I’m taking a long vacation when you leave here.
你一走我也要去休长假了
I couldn’t help it.
我也是不得已的
Englebert’s an important man. There was nobody else, I had to send you.
安格贝是重要的人 我没别的人可派,只好派你去
I understand.I wish I could keep you here.
我了解 真希望我能把你留在这里
As much for your sake as for mine.
不只是为了你好 也是为了我自己
Supposing they keep you indefinitely in Belgium?
万一他们无限期的 把你留在比利时
You seem so sure of your religious strength, but I’m not.
你对你的宗教力量 似乎很有信心,可是我没有
Once you set foot in the Mother House, the walls, the discipline, the silence–
只要你踏上的总会院 高墙、会规、静默等等的
Will you indicate the dosage for the sedatives?
你能指示镇定剂的剂量吗?
But if they keep you indefinitely, will the strength be enough?
万一他们无限期的留住你 你的力量足够吗?
Yes.
够
You’re sure it’s not that ferocious will of yours?
你确定那不是你惊人的意志力吗?
I’m sure.
我确信
But when you get there, you’re going to wish that you–
不过等你到了那里 你就会希望
Doctor, a nun is not a person who wishes or desires.
医师,修女不是一个 能有希望或心愿的人
But you’re going to feel that you can’t….
可是你会感受到,你无法
When you’re ready to discuss the case, please ring for me.
等你决定要讨论个案了 请再打电♥话♥叫我来
I’m coming back, you beautiful thing.
我要回去了,你这漂亮的小东西
Do you hear me? I’m coming back.
你听到没,我要回去了
Come in, Mama Luke.
请进,路加姆姆
This is for you.
这是大家要送给你的
Tell them thank you.
跟他们说谢谢
How is your health, my child?
你的身体还好吗,我的孩子?
Very good, thank you, Reverend Mother.
很好,谢谢你,院长
So many fine letters from colonial families…
很多来自殖民家庭 还有神父们的信函
and missionary fathers about your good work.
都在称赞你的工作
You were liked and respected by everyone out there…
那里的人都喜爱你也敬重你
including your native boys, I see.
我看,也包含你的原住民手下
Do you wish me to give it to your father?
你希望我把这个转交给你父亲吗?
I would rather it be kept in the congregation to which it belongs.
我宁愿放在修会 最适合它的地方
When I return to….
等我回到
When I leave here, it will be good to know it is in the Mother House.
等我离开这里的时候 会很欣慰这东西就放在总会院
That is very generous of you.
你真是太慷慨了
You will be a splendid example for our postulants and novices here.
你将成为我们的 保守生与初学生的好榜样
And I think they will be good for you, too.
我想,新来的人对你也很好
The more we are looked to for example, the better examples we become.
我们愈是被当成好榜样 就愈能成为好榜样
Don’t you find that true?
你不觉得是这样吗?
Yes, Reverend Mother.So, you will stay here with us then.
是的,院长 这么说,你会留在我们这里了
Now, you must have a good rest.You must not worry about anything.
好了,你好好的休息 什么都别担心
Simply enjoy being home again.
只要享受又回到家的感觉
Couldn’t I help at the hospital, Reverend Mother?
我不能在医院帮忙吗?院长?
No, my child, not now.
不,我的孩子,现在不行
You must have a few quiet months to renew your spiritual life.
你必须安静几个月 好恢复你的精神生活
This will look very nice in our museum.
这个放在我们的博物馆里 一定很好看
Gaby.
嘉比,嘉比
You look thin, Gaby.
你瘦了,嘉比
You always say that, Father.
你总是这样说,爸爸
It’s always true.
总是真的
No, it isn’t.
不,不是
Of course…
当然
I don’t believe that rubbish about your having had TB in the Congo.
我才不相信 你在刚果感染肺结核的鬼扯淡
Don’t believe it then.
那就别信
One just doesn’t survive and have TB in the tropics.
一个人在热带地区感染肺结核 别想活下来
Here I am.
我活下来了
You must’ve had a good doctor.
你一定是遇到好医生了
Exceptional.
最杰出的
I suppose they’ll be sending you back after a little rest?
我想你休息一阵之后 他们就会送你回去了?