You will be tempted to because he is a marvel.
你一定会很想讨论 因为他是很棒的
But remember, he is also a man…
不过你得牢记 他同时也是个单身汉
a bachelor…and I’m afraid an unbeliever.
恐怕还是个无神论者
Don’t ever think for an instant, Sister,
修女,你千万别以为
that your habit will protect you.
你这身修女服能保护你
Now, I leave you to look over your equipment.
好了,我让你看看你的器材
Yes, Mother.
是的,院长
You will say six A ves and a Pater Noster for that bit of vanity, Sister.
你得念六遍圣母经跟一遍天主经 来忏悔你的虚荣心,修女
I’m Dr. Fortunati. You must be the new sister.
我是佛图纳提医师 你一定是新来的修女
Yes, I’m Sister Luke. How do you do?
是的,我是路加修女 你好
How do you do? Well, the drums were right.
你好 嗯,看来鼓声没说错
I see somebody told you what they said.
看来,有人把鼓声的意思 透露给你知道了
I believe I’m to assist you in the operating room, Doctor.
我相信我是在手术室里协助你的。
Yes.I hope you bear up longer than the last sister.
对,我希望你能比上一个修女 撑得更久
I can only try.
我会尽力的
These summer months this room gets like a bake-oven by 9:00 in the morning…
夏天这几个月,这个房♥间 到上午九点就像个大烤炉一样
so I operate at 5:00. That means you get up at 4:00.
所以我都在五点开刀 这代表你得在四点起床
I’ll be here.
我可以的
And sometimes I operate right through the time of your mass.
有的时候,我的手术时间 会跨越你们弥撒的时间
So you’ll get used to taking communion…
那种时候,你就得习惯
at that door there, on those occasions.
在那边那个门口去领圣体
I’ll have to ask permission of Reverend Mother.
我会去要求院长的许可
Reverend Mother is not in charge here. This is a government hospital.
修女院院长不负责这里的事情 这里是政♥府♥的公家医院
Still, I’ll You’re paid by the government…
我还是 你是拿政♥府♥的薪水
and therefore, you’re responsible to them.
你必须向政♥府♥负责
They don’t pay you to pray, but to assist me.
他们给你薪水不是让你来祈祷 而是来协助我的
I understand that. It’s all right.
我了解 没关系的
The Reverend Mother’s given permission to the operating sisters.
她早已许可手术室的修女了
I can’t have my nurses running off to mass in the middle of an operation.
我总不能让我的修女 开刀开到一半就跑去望弥撒
5:00 in the morning?
清晨五点
Have you ever assisted at an operation before?
你以前有当过手术的助手吗?
Yes. My father’s Dr. Hubert Van der Mal.
有,我父亲是修伯特范德玛医师
I see.You’ll say another five A ves and beg your soup…
哦,我了解,你得再念五遍圣母经 而且得乞讨汤喝
for that little display of pride, Sister.
来忏悔你此刻小小的骄傲感,修女
These boys had better be trained to do…more than just stand around dropping things.
最好把他们训练好 不要只会掉东西
Yes, Doctor, I’ll work with them.
好的,医师,我会训练他们
Tighter.
紧一点
Don’t you faint on me.
你别在我面前昏倒
I won’t.
我不会的
I asked Mother Mathilde to let the operating sister…
我要求过院长 请她许可让手术室的修女
have something to eat before she came in the morning, but she won’t.
在上午抵达之前先吃早点 可是她不答应,所以你如果昏倒
So if you faint on me I won’t faint, Doctor…
我不会昏倒的 只要你答应我
if you promise not to eat garlic again the night before an operation.
别在手术前一夜吃大蒜就好了
All right, I promise.
好,我答应
All right, go on.
好,去吧
When you’ve been at this longer, I’ll explain what I was doing.
如果你能待久一点 我会解释我的作法
Your being the daughter of Dr. Van der Mal…I expect you could instruct me.
身为范德玛医师的女儿 我相信你可以指导我
Please don’t mention my father again, Doctor.
请不要再提到我父亲了,医师
Good morning, Reverend Mother. Good morning.
早安,院长 早安
I wouldn’t say their hands are as gentle as Sister Luke’s…
他们的手是没有路加修女那么柔
but then whose are?
不过,谁比得上她呢?
This is certainly a great step forward.
这真是前进一大步
I’d like to borrow Sister Luke
我会想借用路加修女
to organize our boys in the textile mills.
组织我们在纺织厂的工人
Just a moment, Sister Luke.
过来一下,路加修女
I had a telephone call from the Bishop last night.
昨天晚上主教有打电♥话♥来
He had read your name in the paper and heard your name on the drums…
他在报纸上有看到你的名字 还从鼓声听到
about making some innovations here.
你在这里有一些新发明
He asked me what I knew about it.
他询问我对此事的了解
I had no answer.
我没有答案
It didn’t occur to me to ask for permission.
我没想到这种事 要询问上面的许可
He also asked me why one of my nuns
他还问我 为什么我有一个修女
was trying to singularize herself.
想要突显自己
I’ve failed you, Reverend Mother.
我让你蒙羞了,修女
A superior must know what is happening
神长必须了解托付给她的医院
in a hospital entrusted to her care.
所有的大小事务
You have done something very important.
你所完成的任务非常重要
Your only fault is in not telling me in advance…
你唯一的缺点是 没事先告知我
and saving me the embarrassment.
以免除我不必要的尴尬
Mama Luke. Yes, Emil?
路加姆姆 什么事,埃米尔?
Where are your husbands?
你的丈夫在哪里?
I don’t understand, Emil.
我不了解你在说什么,埃米尔
Where are the husbands of the white mamas at the house?
白人姆姆的丈夫 都在哪里呢?
Have you asked Mama Mathilde about this?
你问过曼婷院长这个问题吗?
Yes. What did she say?
有 她怎么说的?
Something about you all being the wives of one man.
说你们都是同一个人的妻子
But I know that can’t be right.
可是我知道 那是不可能的
Father Andre says it’s wrong to have more than one wife.
安得烈神父说 超过一个妻子就是错误的
Well, it’s not easy to explain.
嗯,这很难解释
I can understand some of the others
别的姆姆没有丈夫 我是可以理解
not having husbands, but not you.
可是你不会没有丈夫
The fact is, Emil, I have one.
其实,埃米尔,我是有一个丈夫
Well, I thought you would.
嗯,我就知道
But he’s in Heaven.
可是他在天堂
I’m sorry, Mama Luke.
哦,我很遗憾,路加姆姆
I’m very sorry.
我真的很遗憾
Can you do without me for a few days, Sister?
修女,接下来这几天 你可以自己处理吗?
What do you mean, Doctor? Well, I think we both need a rest.
这是什么意思,医师? 我是想我们两个都要休息一下
I’m going up to Lake Kivu for the weekend to do some fishing.
我这个周末要去奇湖钓鱼
I see.Give you a chance
我明白了 给你机会
to catch up on your prayers.
好好的补足你的祈祷
If there’s an emergency?
如果有紧急的病患呢?
Well, send for one of the doctors in the town.
就从镇上叫一个医师过来
Keep up the morphine with the terminal cancer.
癌症末期的病患要继续给吗♥啡♥
But don’t touch the dressings on the skin graft.
不过,别碰植皮病患的外用敷料
You’d better get some rest yourself.
你最好也多多休息 这几个月以来
I’ve been working you pretty hard in the last few months.I’m all right.
我让你累坏了 我还可以
Have a fine weekend.
祝你周末愉快
Did you ever go fishing?
你有钓过鱼吗?
It’s impossible to talk to somebody who’s not allowed to remember.
跟一个不能有回忆的人谈话 简直是天方夜谭
See you on Monday.
星期一见了
Sister, the mission just called.
修女,教会刚刚打电♥话♥来
Father Andre has had a bad accident. They’re bringing him here.
安得烈神父发生严重的意外 他们要送他过来
See if you can still find Dr. Fortunati, please, Sister.
修女,拜托你 赶快去找佛图纳提医师
Call one of the town doctors for surgery immediately.
立刻从镇上叫一个外科医师过来
Is the leg very bad?
他的腿伤得很严重吗?
It’s shattered.
粉碎性骨折
The doctor will have to amputate.
医师可能得给他截肢
They can’t reach a doctor.
他们找不到医师
I left one of the boys to keep trying.
我让一个男孩子继续去找
In that case, we’ll have to do the best we can to save the leg.
这么一来 我们只好尽全力抢救他的腿了
I’d like to save you from the sin of pride, Sister, but I’m afraid I can’t.
我也不想让你背负骄傲的罪 修女,但我恐怕不能不称赞你
This may take nearly a year to mend completely.
他恐怕得花一年的时间 才能完全康复
But you’ve saved the Father
不过,你救了神父
and his leg.
还有他的腿
Mother Mathilde and Sister Aurelie assisted me.
有曼婷院长和欧瑞莉修女 从旁协助我
Yes, and all the other nuns praying for you back at the Mother House.
还有其他修女院的修女们在祈祷
I know.
这我知道
But you were the one who did it.
不过,你是主其事的人
It’s a photograph of a final x-ray of Father Andre’s leg.
这是安得烈神父的腿 最后一张X光照片
It’s just to remind you what an excellent nurse you are.
可以提醒你 你是多么优秀的一个护士
Mother Mathilde’s making a trip…
院长下个月要溯河
up the river next month to visit the bush stations.I’m going to send you along, too…
去探访一些偏远的医疗站 我也要派你同行
to make the annual leprosy check on Father Vermeuhlen.
好去帮蒙妙仁神父的麻疯病 做年度检查
I see you don’t know about him.
我看你是没听过这个人
No.
没错
Well, he’s known as the White Saint of the Leper Colony.
他是在麻疯患者区 被尊称为白圣人
The trip will do you good.
这趟旅行将对你有帮助
And meeting Father Vermeuhlen will, too.
会见蒙妙仁神父对你也有帮助
Religion hasn’t made him tense and disciplined.
宗教并没有让他 成为过度紧张又严谨的人