我收回这个问题,并表示歉意。
I retract the question, with apologies.
很好,那么,我很乐意回答。我…
Very well, then, I’ll be glad to answer it. I…
除了一年以外,我在教堂里一直不活动。
I have been inactive in the church for all but one year…
…因为我被任命为教会的牧师。
…since I was ordained a minister of the church.
这真是个休假,Shannon先生。
That’s quite a sabbatical, Mr. Shannon.
是的,我在一个教区工作了一年,然后…
Yes, I had one parish for one year and then…
…我没有被脱下外衣……
…I was not defrocked…
…我被锁在教堂外面。
…I was locked out of the church.
你是……?你画我吗?
Are you…? You drawing me?
我想。
I’m trying to.
他们为什么把你关在外面?
Why did they lock you out?
放纵淫乱,行与属布的人相不合宜的事。
For fornication and conduct unbecoming a man of the cloth.
初犯的情况是怎样的?
What were the circumstances of the first offense?
淫乱吗?
Fornication?
一位非常年轻的主日学校老师要求私下到我的书房♥见我……
A very young Sunday school teacher asked to see me, privately, in my study and…
…嗯,她……
…well, she…
她疯狂地向我表白。
She declared herself to me, wildly.
爱的宣言?
A declaration of love?
别拿我开玩笑,杰克斯小姐。
Don’t make fun of me, Miss Jelkes.
我不是。
I wasn’t.
在那些日子里,我是你能想象得到的最一本正经的人。
I was the damnedest prig in those days that you can imagine.
我对这个女孩说,“让我们跪下来一起祈祷吧。”
I said to this girl, I said, “Let us kneel down and pray together.”
我们照做了,跪下了。
And we did, we knelt.
然后突然间…
And then all of sudden, the…
…跪姿变为斜倚姿。
…kneeling position turned into a reclining position.
第二天,她被她父亲的直刃剃须刀割伤了自己。
The next day, she cut herself with her father’s straight blade razor.
-致命?-不不不
– Fatally? – No, no, no.
多亏了创可贴。
Thanks to a Band-Aid.
但它制♥造♥了丑闻。
But it made a scandal.
是的,我想这引起了一些评论。
Yes, I imagine that it caused some comment.
是的,它做到了。
Yes, it did, it did that.
下一个星期天,当我看到那些沾沾自喜、指责、不满的脸抬起来时……
The next Sunday when I saw those smug, accusing, disapproving faces uplifted…
…我突然有一种强烈的震撼欲望。
…I had a sudden urge to shock.
我吓了他们一跳。
And I shocked them.
我把他们赶出了教堂。
I chased them out of the church.
结果是什么?
And what was the upshot of it?
他们把我关在一个小私人收♥容♥所♥让我恢复…
They put me in a nice little private asylum to recover from…
…完全的精神崩溃。他们就是这么说的。
…a complete nervous breakdown. That’s the way they put it.
然后我出来的时候…
And then when I got out I…
我进了队伍。
I entered this line.
“由上帝的牧师带领参观上帝的世界。”
“Tours of God’s world, conducted by a minister of God.”
引用这本小册子的话。
To quote the pamphlet.
但另一方面……
But on the side…
…Shannon一直在收集证据。
…Shannon has been collecting evidence.
-什么证据?-人类对上帝的不人道。
– Evidence of what? – Man’s inhumanity to God.
-你这是什么意思?-我们给他带来的痛苦
– What do you mean by that? – The pain we cause him.
我们破坏了他的气氛。
We’ve poisoned his atmosphere.
我们屠♥杀♥了他的野生动物。
We’ve slaughtered his creatures of the wild.
我们已经污染了他的河流。
We’ve polluted his rivers.
我们甚至拿走了上帝最高贵的创造,人类…
We’ve even taken God’s noblest creation, man…
…把他洗♥脑♥,让他成为我们自己的产物,而不是上帝的产物。
…and brainwashed him into becoming our own product, not God’s.
砍,堆,罐装。
Hacked, stacked and canned.
我是吗?我是不是动得太多了?
Am I? Am I moving too much?
不,当然不是。
No, of course not.
香农先生吗?
Mr. Shannon?
如果……你怎么办?
What do you do if…?
如果什么?
If what?
如果费罗斯小姐如愿以偿?
If Miss Fellowes has her way?
然后让我被解雇?
And gets me fired?
是的,然后你做什么?
Yes, what do you do then?
我要么回♥教♥堂,要么…
Well, I either go back to the church, or I…
我长距离游泳。
I take the long swim.
-就在那儿。——是什么?
– It’s right out there. – What is?
中国
China.
-那是午餐锣吗?菜半小时就好了。
– Was that the luncheon gong? – Chow will be ready in a half-hour.
你感觉怎么样,皮布尔斯小姐,亲爱的?好一点吗?
How you feeling, Miss Peebles, honey? A bit better?
-谢谢,我想是的。-来点喝的怎么样?
– Thank you, I think I am. – How about a little drink?
-那不会伤害你的。——嗯…
– That won’t hurt you. – Well…
你看起来像那个女教母。你呢,费罗斯小姐?
You look like the den mother. How about you, Miss Fellowes?
谢谢,我们就坐在这里等午饭好了。
Thank you, we’ll just sit here and wait until lunch is ready.
亲爱的,想念的那种风韵。
Miss Fellowes, honey.
我知道你有点牢骚。
I know you got a beef or two.
但你为什么不放轻松点,赞美一下伦香可可呢?
But why don’t you just relax with a little complimentary rum-coco?
把它们留给你的朋友,Shannon先生。我不接受。
Save them for your friend, Mr. Shannon. I don’t imbibe.
那来个小罐子怎么样?
Then how about a little pot?
我通常不给客人吃…
I don’t usually serve it to my guests…
…但你看起来需要一些特别的东西。
…but you look like you need something special.
我可以看到吗?
May I see?
我只是个速写师,Shannon先生。
I’m just a quick sketch artist, Mr. Shannon.
不是很有才华。
Not very talented.
我的眼睛也这么疯狂吗?
Are my eyes as wild as this?
是的,Shannon先生。
Yes, they are, Mr. Shannon.
我有发烧。
I have fever.
-你们俩怎么了?-出了什么事是什么意思?
– What gives with you two? – What do you mean, what gives?
我是说,我是不是插♥进♥去了?三个人够吗?
I mean, am I butting in here? Is three a crowd?
不,真的,一点也不。
No, indeed, not a bit.
你在掩盖什么?让我看看。
What are you covering up there? Let me see.
你为什么要画他?他比你是经纪人。
What are you drawing him for? He’s broker than you are.
也许您愿意留着它,福克夫人。
Perhaps you’d like to keep it, Mrs. Faulk.
太谢谢你了,亲爱的,但他一个就够了。
Thanks a hell of a lot, honey, but one of him is enough.
-谁想喝一杯?-我什么也不要,谢谢。
– Who wants a drink? – Nothing for me, thank you.
一样好。房♥间和伙食都由你负责。
Just as well. You’re in to me for the rooms and meals.
-喝点威士忌没什么区别。——解雇。
– A little whiskey makes no difference. – Lay off.
你去死吧,为什么不呢!
And you go to hell, why don’t you!
Shannon先生,Faulk太太。
Mr. Shannon, Mrs. Faulk.
这是幼稚的。马上停止。这是可耻的!
This is childish. Stop it at once. It’s disgraceful!
这是可耻的。
It’s disgraceful.
-福克夫人,你应该知道…-我知道你游手好闲。
– Mrs. Faulk, you must realize… – I realize you’re a deadbeat.
用那个垂死的老人做幌子
Using that dying old man as a front…
…在你没钱的时候帮你提前一天到达目的地。
…to get you into places when you ain’t got cash for one day in advance.
你把他像中国乞丐一样拖来拖去…
You’re dragging him around like a Chinese beggar…
…拖着跛足的孩子四处走动,以触摸游客。
…dragging around crippled children to put the touch on the tourists.
我要进城去。
I shall go into town.
我要在广场上架起画架……
And I shall set up my easel in the plaza…
…我将兜售我的水彩画,素描游客。
…and I shall peddle my watercolors, and sketch tourists.
我不是弱者,福克夫人。
I am not a weak person, Mrs. Faulk.
我在这里的失败不是典型的我。
My failure here is not typical of me.
-我也不是软弱的人,亲爱的。-哦,不,真的。
– I’m not a weak person either, honey. – Oh, no, indeed.
-你的力量令人敬畏。-你的…
– Your strength is awe-inspiring. – You bet your…
没有车费,你怎么进城?
How you going into town, when you ain’t got cab fare?
我要骑香克斯的母马,福克太太。
I shall go on shanks’ mare, Mrs. Faulk.
我是土生土长的南塔开特人。岛民很会走路。
I’m Nantucket born and bred. Islanders are good walkers.
我来收拾我们的东西。
I shall pack our things.
我要把我的祖父放到轮椅上…
And I shall put my grandfather into his wheelchair…
…把他推到山下的路上,一直推到城里。
…and push him back down this hill to the road, all the way into town.
他宁愿这样,也不愿呆在不需要他的地方。
He would prefer that to staying where he is not wanted.
我希望他和我自己都能这样,福克夫人。
And I would prefer it for him and for myself, Mrs. Faulk.
好了,冷静点。
All right, calm down.
-我很冷静,福克夫人。-我没有。
– I am perfectly calm, Mrs. Faulk. – Well, I’m not.
这是麻烦的。问题是Shannon。
That’s the trouble. The trouble is Shannon.
-我感觉到了你们之间的震动。里夫人。
– I caught the vibrations between you two. – Mrs. Faulk.
我是一个新英格兰的老处♥女♥,快40岁了。
I’m a New England spinster who is pushing 40.
谁不是呢?
Well, who the hell isn’t?
我擅长捕捉振动。
I’m good at catching vibrations.
你们之间有振动,相互振动,从你们来到这里的那一刻起。
And there were vibrations between you, mutual vibrations, the minute you got here.
就这些,相信我,就足以让我浑身起泡沫了。
And just that, believe me, is enough to put me in a lather.
别问我为什么。看着他。
And don’t ask me why. Look at him.
破产了,吓坏了,就像被解雇了一样。
Broke, spooked, as good as fired.
这只是他的情况,福克夫人…
Those are only his circumstances, Mrs. Faulk…
…而不是他自己。——好吧,不管怎样。
…not the man himself. – Well, anyhow.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!