你在找房♥间吗?
You’re looking for rooms?
是的,是的,我们是来了,但我们是毫无保留地来的。
Yes, yes, we are, but we’ve come without reservations.
亲爱的,我们8月份就关门了,除了一些特别客人。
Well, honey, we’re closed in August, except for a few special guests.
好吧,看看他们。如果他们不特别,那到底是谁?
Well, look at them. If they’re not special, who the hell is?
亲爱的,那老头应该去医院。
Honey, that old man ought to be in a hospital.
不。哦,没有,没有,他只是今天早上扭伤了脚踝。
No. Oh, no, no, he just sprained his ankle a little this morning.
来吧,爷爷。两个步骤,一,二。你就在那里。
Come on, Grandpa. Two steps, one, two. There you are.
汉娜,告诉那位女士我的虚弱只是暂时的。
Hannah, tell the lady that my frailty is temporary.
我很快就能爬,然后就能蹒跚学步了。
I will soon be able to crawl and then to toddle.
不久我就会像一只老山羊一样在这儿跳来跳去了。
And before long I’ll be leaping around here like an old mountain goat.
是的,是的,爷爷,我解释过了。
Yes, yes, Grandfather, I explained that.
告诉那位女士,我知道有些酒店不想带狗、猫或猴子。
Tell the lady that I know some hotels don’t want to take dogs, cats or monkeys.
有些人甚至不寻求90多岁的婴儿的支持。
And some don’t even solicit the patronage of infants in their late 90s.
但保证她……
But assure her…
…如果她能原谅我不光彩的长寿……
…that if she’ll forgive my disgraceful longevity…
…而这短暂的衰老…
…and this temporary decrepitude…
…我要把我第一部诗集的最后签名本送给她。
…I will present her with the last signed copy of my first volume of verse.
发表在…的时候,汉娜?
Published in… When, Hannah?
威廉·麦金利总统被暗♥杀♥的那一天
The day that President William McKinley was assassinated, Nonno.
我的祖父是诗人乔纳森·科芬。
My grandfather is the poet Jonathan Coffin.
他年仅97岁。
He is 97 years young.
他会有98岁那么年轻……
And he will be 98 years young…
…在♥十♥月♥五日。-老人是了不起的。
…on the 5th of October. – Old folks are remarkable.
嘿,电♥话♥!你取消那个电♥话♥了吗?
Hey, the phone! Did you cancel that call?
我什么时候有时间?
When the hell did I have time?
我是不是说得太多了?
Did I talk too much?
我是不是又说得太多了?
Have I been talking too much again?
恐怕他有。
I’m afraid that he has.
我想她不会带我们去的。
I don’t think she’s going to take us.
她的眼睛用蓝色的大写字母说“不”。
Her eyes said “no” in big blue capital letters.
哦,我不应该担心这个。她会收留你的,好的。
Oh, I shouldn’t worry about that. She’ll take you in, all right.
杜鲁门·费罗斯法官在电♥话♥里说。
The Judge Truman Fellowes on the telephone.
一定是老布奇的哥哥。不会有丈夫的。
Must be old butch’s brother. Wouldn’t have a husband.
总之,我说她退房♥了,就取消了电♥话♥。
Anyway, I said she’d checked out, canceled the call.
玛克辛,你比生命还重要。
Maxine, you’re larger than life.
我们现在可以登记吗?
Shall we register now?
你可以随时注册。
You can register any time you want.
但我现在要从你这里收6美元…
But I gotta collect 6 dollars from you right now…
…如果你想把你的名字放进锅里。
…if you want your name in the pot.
6美元。
Six dollars.
每个3美元。你看,像这样的淡季……
Three dollars each. You see, out of season like this…
…我们按照经过修改的美国计划行事。
…we operate on the modified American plan.
哦,我明白了。是的,嗯…
Oh, I see. Yes, well…
…我们自己通常是在特殊的基础上经营的。
…we usually operate on a special basis ourselves.
你是什么意思,动手术?
What do you mean, operate?
这是我们的名片。
Here is our card.
我想你可能听说过我们。
I think you may have heard of us.
我们得到了不少好评。
We’ve had quite a few write-ups.
我的祖父是最年长的在世的诗人。
My grandfather is the oldest living and practicing poet.
他还会进行背诵。
And he gives recitations.
我画水彩,我是一个速写艺术家。
I paint watercolors and I’m a quick sketch artist.
我们一起旅行,边走边付……
We travel together and we pay our way as we go…
…通过我祖父的背诵…
…by my grandfather’s recitations…
…通过出♥售♥木炭和蜡笔画的人物速写。
…and by the sale of quick character sketches in charcoal and pastel.
在午餐和晚餐期间,我通常会慢慢地在餐桌间穿梭。
I usually pass among the tables during lunch and dinner, slowly.
我穿着艺术家的工作服……
I wear an artist’s smock…
…生动地涂上了颜料。
…picturesquely dabbed with paint.
我不会强迫别人。我只是展示我的作品。
I don’t push myself on people. I just display my work.
我甜蜜地对他们微笑,如果他们邀请我这样做……
And I smile sweetly at them, and if invited to do so…
…我坐下来,快速地画了个人物素描。
…I sit down and make a quick character sketch.
和外公吗?
And Gramps?
我介绍他为世界上最古老的活着的和实践中的诗人。
I introduce him as the world’s oldest living and practicing poet.
如果受到邀请,他就朗诵他的一首诗。
If invited, he gives a recitation of one of his poems.
当然,它们都是很久以前写的……
Of course, they were all written a very long time ago…
…但你知道他开始写一首新诗吗?
…but do you know he has started a new poem?
20年来,他第一次创作了另一首诗。
For the first time in 20 years he has started another poem.
还没完成呢。
Hasn’t finished it yet.
他仍然有他的灵感,但他的专注力已经减弱了一点。
He still has his inspiration but his power of concentration has weakened a little.
现在,爷爷根本没有集中精神。
Right now, Gramps ain’t concentrating at all.
他只是打个盹。
He’s just catching forty winks.
外公。
Gramps.
外公。
Gramps.
该睡觉了,老爷爷。
Time to hit the sack, Gramps.
-你等一下。——请。
– Now, you just wait a minute. – Please.
我们试过巴亚尔塔港的每一家酒店。
We’ve tried every hotel in Puerto Vallarta.
他们不会接受我们的。
They wouldn’t take us.
恐怕我得听任你摆布了。
I’m afraid I have to place myself at your mercy.
好吧。看起来你只能住一晚,但只能住一晚。
Okay. Looks like you’re in for one night, but just one.
——谢谢。-你的行李呢?
– Thank you. – Where’s your luggage?
没有行李吗?
No luggage?
我把它和祖父的轮椅一起藏在小路脚下的几棵棕榈后面。
I hid it behind some palmettos at the foot of the path with Grandfather’s wheelchair.
佩佩。
Pepe.
他们在追赶一只鬣蜥。
They’re chasing an iguana.
他们会用它做什么?
What will they do with it?
把它绑起来,喂肥它,然后吃掉它。
Tie him up, fatten him up and eat him up.
佩佩。
Pepe.
好吧,亲爱的。你和爷爷可以住九号♥平房♥。
Okay, honey. You and Gramps can have bungalow nine.
爷爷要怎么吃饭?让他们住那套吧。
How’s Gramps gonna get meals? Let them have that suite.
等等,Shannon,那是豪华套房♥。
Wait a minute, Shannon, that’s the deluxe suite.
我知道,慷慨是你天性的基石。
I know, Maxine, generosity is the cornerstone of your nature.
来吧,爷爷。移♥动♥的时间。
Come on, Gramps. Time to move.
就是这样。
That’s it.
有人要求复习课吗?
Did someone call for a recitation?
不,不,我们只是回房♥间。
No, Nonno, we’re just going to our rooms.
我非常担心我祖父有轻微中风……
I’m dreadfully afraid my grandfather had a slight stroke…
…在那些高处,穿过塞拉斯山脉。
…in those high passes through the Sierras.
老年人都有。不是常规的中风,只是轻微的大脑事件。
Old people have them. They’re not regular strokes, just little cerebral incidents.
症状很快就消失了,有时老人都没有意识到自己已经有了症状。
Symptoms clear up so quickly, sometimes old people don’t realize they’ve had them.
休息一会儿,不。
Just rest for a few moments, Nonno.
橄榄枝如何♥平♥静
How calmly does the olive branch
观察天空开始变白
Observe the sky begin to blanch
没有哭泣,没有祈祷
Without a cry, without a prayer
没有绝望的背叛
With no betrayal of despair
我把Nonno留在这里,我要那个房♥间。
I’ll leave Nonno in here and I’ll take that room.
就是那个屋顶漏雨的,但你不会发现的……
That’s the one with the leaky roof, but you won’t find out about it…
…直到下雨,如果下雨的话,那就太晚了,除了游出去,什么都做不了。
…until it rains, and then it’ll be too late to do anything except swim out if it.
-哦,不是吧?-香农,劳伦斯牧师
– Oh, no, Mr? – Shannon, the Reverend T. Lawrence.
Shannon先生,如果下雨的话我会找个干燥的地方。
Mr. Shannon, I’ll find a dry spot if it rains.
有多少?
How many?
你环游世界多少次了?
How many times have you been around the world?
和地球绕太阳转的次数一样多。
As many times as the world has been around the sun.
我觉得我好像是走了全程。
And I feel as if I’ve gone the whole way on foot.
谢谢你,Shannon先生。
Thank you, Mr. Shannon.
操作符。
Operator.
操作员, aqui parlar English?
Operator, aquí parlar English?
——是的,太太。我能帮你吗?我是米斯马洛亚的费罗斯小姐。
– Sí, se?ora. Can I help you? – This is Miss Fellowes at Mismaloya.
——是的,太太。我打给德州的电♥话♥怎么了?
– Sí, se?ora. – What happened to my call to Texas?
得克萨斯州的什么地方? – Corpus Christi。
– Where in Texas? – Corpus Christi.
– I 以为你已经退房♥了。 -结账了吗?
– I thought you’d checked out. – Checked out?
我怎样才能退房♥?他抓住了经销商……
How could I check out? He’s got the distributor…
接线员,你把那个电♥话♥再接一遍……
Operator, you put that call through again…
…如果要等一下午,我就等着。
…and I will hold the line and wait if it takes all afternoon.
很好,太太。
Very well, se?ora.
玩弄女性的人。
Seducer.
——什么?玩弄女性的人。
– What? – Seducer.
-现在是什么声音?-哦,拉里,你为什么不告诉我?
– Now, what’s the squawk now? – Oh, Larry, why didn’t you tell me?
告诉你什么?这是什么?
Tell you what? What is this?
-你暴露了,Shannon。-你可耻的过去。
– You’ve been exposed, Shannon. – Your whole shameful past.
伪装成福音的牧师。
Posing as a minister of the gospel.
我是牧师。谁说我不是…
I am a minister. Anybody who says I’m not..

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!