在漫长而艰难的旅行之后……
After long and difficult travels…
…受惊吓和迷惑的人在地下旅行……
…the subterranean travels that the spooked and bedeviled take…
…通过他们自己天性中不光彩的一面,直到最后……
…through the unlighted sides of their own natures until finally…
…他们看到微弱的灰色的光。
…they see a faint gray light.
继续向它爬去。
And keep climbing towards it.
你还在追随那微弱的灰光吗?
Are you still following that faint gray light?
在漫长而黑暗的隧♥道♥尽头,任何光线都是很好的光源。
Any light is a good light to see by at the end of a long, dark tunnel…
…你以为永远不会结束的。
…that you thought would be never-ending.
只有上帝或死亡才能阻止
That only God or death could put a stop to.
特别是当你……
Especially when you…
因为我对上帝不太确定。
Since I was far from sure about God.
你还对他不确定吗?
Are you still unsure about him?
不像我那么不确定。
Not as unsure as I was.
他还在苦苦挣扎。
He’s still struggling.
是的。他已经穷途末路了。
Yes. He’s got to the end of his rope.
再远,他也无法到达。
And any further, he cannot get.
你能诚实地告诉我,他感觉不到疼痛和恐慌吗?
Can you honestly tell me that he is not able to feel pain and panic?
-你是说他是上帝创造的?-是的,如果你想这么说的话。
– You mean, he’s one of God’s creatures? – Yes, if you want to put it that way.
Shannon先生,放开他。
Mr. Shannon, cut him loose.
好吧。
All right.
今晚我们要扮演上帝,就像孩子们用破箱子和旧箱子玩房♥子一样。
We’ll play God tonight, like kids play houses with old broken crates and boxes.
我们将把蜥蜴割断,这样他就可以回到他的灌木丛里去了。
We’ll cut the lizard loose so that he can go back to his bushes.
因为上帝不会这么做,我们今晚在这里扮演上帝。
Because God won’t do it and we are playing God here tonight.
香农先生。
Mr. Shannon.
我就知道你会这么做。
I knew you’d do that.
你到底在干什么,Shannon?
What the hell are you doing, Shannon?
我刚刚在绳子的末端割断了上帝创造的一个生物。
I just cut loose one of God’s creatures at the end of his rope.
对什么?
What for?
这样上帝的一个创造物就可以免于恐慌……
So that one of God’s creatures could be free from panic…
…安全自♥由♥地蹦蹦跳跳回家。一点优雅的举动,玛克辛。
…and scamper home safe and free. A little act of grace, Maxine.
汉娜!汉娜!汉娜!你在哪里?
Hannah! Hannah! Hannah! Where are you?
在这里,爷爷。在这里。
Here, Grandfather. Right here.
它完成了!趁我还没忘记,快,铅笔和纸。请快点!
It finished! Quick, before I forget it, pencil and paper. Hurry, please!
——准备好了吗?——是的。都准备好了,爷爷。
– Ready? – Yes. All ready, Grandfather.
橄榄枝如何♥平♥静
How calmly does the olive branch
观察天空开始变白
Observe the sky begin to blanch
没有哭泣,没有祈祷
Without a cry, without a prayer
没有绝望的背叛
With no betrayal of despair
的时候,夜晚遮住了树
Some time while night obscures the tree
其生命的顶点将是
The zenith of its life will be
走过去永远
Gone past forever
从那里和
And from thence
第二段历史将开始
A second history will commence
编年史不再金色
A chronicle no longer gold
与薄雾和模具讨价还价
A bargaining with mist and mold
,最后,断茎
And finally, the broken stem
垂直下落到地面
The plummeting to earth
,性♥交♥
And then, an intercourse
不是为良好设计的生命 的黄金种类
Not well designed for beings Of a golden kind
,其原生绿化率必须高于
Whose native green must arch above
地球的淫秽,堕落的爱
The earth’s obscene, corrupting love
和成熟的水果和树枝
And still the ripe fruit and the branch
观察天空开始变白
Observe the sky begin to blanch
没有哭泣,没有祈祷
Without a cry, without a prayer
没有绝望的背叛
With no betrayal of despair
哦,勇气
Oh, courage
你是否可以 选择第二个位置停留
Could you not as well Select a second place to dwell
不仅在那棵金色的树上
Not only in that golden tree
但在我的恐惧的心? >
But in the frightened heart of me?
明白了吗,汉娜?
Have you got that, Hannah?
是的,爷爷。
Yes, Grandfather.
-所有的?——每一个字。
– All of it? – Every word.
-就这样结束了?——是的。
– And it’s finished? – Yes.
——终于完成了吗?-是的,终于完成了。
– Finally finished? – Yes, finally finished.
它很好。
And it’s good.
美丽。
Beautiful.
-好吃吗?——美丽的祖父。
– Is it good? – Beautiful, Grandfather.
爷爷,我真为你高兴。
Oh, Grandfather, I’m so happy for you.
谢谢你写了这么可爱的诗。
Thank you for writing such a lovely poem.
漫长的等待是值得的。
It was worth the long wait.
你现在能睡一会儿吗?
Can you sleep a little now?
我去拿你的披肩。
I’ll fetch your shawl.
我现在想祈祷。
I’d like to pray now.
哦,上帝。
Oh, God.
求你了,我们能停下来吗?
Please can’t we stop now?
他不需要那条围巾。
He won’t need the shawl.
上帝扮演了上帝的角色,给了他自♥由♥。
God has played God and set him free.
哦,勇气
Oh, courage
,你也可以不
Could you not as well
我找到了第二个住所
Have found a second place to dwell
不仅在那棵金色的树上
Not only in that golden tree
但在我的恐惧的心? >
But in the frightened heart of me?
Jelkes小姐。
Miss Jelkes.
你在干什么?你今天不会离开我们吧?
What are you doing? You’re not gonna leave us today, are you?
没有理由拖延。一切都已完成。
There’s no reason to delay. Everything has been done.
谢谢你的好意和福克太太的…
Thanks to your kindness and Mrs. Faulk’s…
博士。洛佩兹和村里所有的好人。
…Dr. Lopez and all the good people in the village.
我现在知道他为什么坚持要我们继续这次旅行了。
I know now why he insisted we go on with this trip.
他知道一切都结束了。
He knew it was the end.
他希望它来到一个他可以被安静埋葬在绿色山顶的地方……
And he wanted it to come where he could be buried peacefully on a green hilltop…
…在大海的视线和声音里,他的“生命的摇篮”。
…within sight and sound of the sea, his “cradle of life.”
-你在开玩笑,是吗?——是的,自然。
– You’re going on, are you? – Yes, naturally.
——在哪里?-首先我要进城…
– Where? – Well, first I shall go into town…
…到广场去碰碰运气。
…and try my luck in the plaza.
在广场酒店你希望有什么运气?
What luck do you expect in the plaza?
你希望那个卖♥♥玉米饼的老太太像买♥♥烤饼一样买♥♥你的草图吗?
Do you expect the old lady selling tacos to buy your sketches like hotcakes?
那里会有一些游客,我会给他们所谓的“强行推销”。
There’ll be some tourists, and I shall give them what is known as the “hard sell.”
杰克斯小姐,你没有在现实的层面上操作。
Miss Jelkes, you’re not operating on the realistic level.
是的,我是。我们是在现实的层面上操作的…
Yes, I am. We are operating on a realistic level…
…当我们在做必须要做的事情时。
…when we are doing the things that have to be done.
但你不能独自前行。想想这么多年后会是什么感觉。
But you can’t go on alone. Think of how it will feel after so many years.
当我感觉到它的时候,我就会知道它是什么感觉。
I shall know how it feels when I feel it.
杰克斯小姐,我想知道……
Miss Jelkes, I wonder…
是的。你想知道什么?
Yes. What do you wonder?
嗯,我想知道…
Well, I was wondering…
…如果我们能一起旅行的话。
…if it was possible for us to travel together.
我是说,一起旅行。
I mean, travel together.
你真的认为我们可以吗?
Do you really think we could?
我看没什么不可以的,我们俩都有点走投无路。
I don’t see why not, both of us sort of at loose ends.
我敢肯定,这种不切实际的想法以后你就会明白了。
I feel sure the impracticality of it would be all too clear to you later.
我认为这只会证明我们俩都很尴尬。
I think it would only prove awkward and embarrassing for both of us.
——Jelkes小姐……-我想知道福克夫人在吗?
– Miss Jelkes… – I wonder if Mrs. Faulk is about?
-我要感谢她。-是的。
– I would like to thank her. – Yeah.
她是什么。我正要宣布一件事。
She’s about. And about to make an announcement.
你们两个坐下。
Sit down, you two.
坐下来。
Sit down.
我有个提议,一个商业提议。
I got a proposition to make, a business proposition.
知道吗,杰克斯小姐,亲爱的,你给我留下了深刻印象。
You know, Miss Jelkes, honey, you impress me.
非常有利。你把鱼和所有东西都端上来的样子。
Very favorably. The way you dished up that fish and all.
事实上,我很乐意向你提出以下建议。
So favorably, in fact, that I’m prepared to make you the following proposition.
什么建议,福克夫人?
What proposition, Mrs. Faulk?
我要一杯可乐。
I want a Coke.
啤酒。啤酒!
Beer. Beer!
我的建议是:你来接管这里。
My proposition is this: that you take over here.
这个地方供人生活,还能赚点小钱。
The place furnishes a living plus a neat little profit.
除去开支,我每年大约赚4000英镑。
I take in about 4000 a year, after expenses.
四千美元。
Four thousand dollars.
如果你不能做得更好,我一点也不惊讶。
It wouldn’t surprise me if you couldn’t do even better…
…前提是Shannon没把你那份利润喝光
…provided Shannon there didn’t drink up your share of the profits.
好吧,就是这样。
Well, that’s the deal.