…他不是在一棵倒下的树上建的。-我不是鸟Shannon先生
…he doesn’t build it in a falling-down tree. – I’m not a bird, Mr. Shannon.
他建造的目的是为了永久的位置,并且为了…
He builds with an eye to the permanence of the location, and for the purpose of…
…交♥配♥和繁殖物种。
…mating and propagating the species.
我还是要说我不是鸟,香农先生。我是一个人。
I still say I’m not a bird, Mr. Shannon. I’m a human being.
当其中一个独特的物种…
And when one of that unique species…
…把巢筑在另一个人的心里…
…builds its nest in the heart of another…
…关于持久性和传播的问题……
…the questions of permanence and propagation…
…不是第一个,甚至不是最后一个需要考虑的事情。
…aren’t the first, or even the last things to be considered.
什么是重要的…
What is important…
…一个人永远不会孤单。
…is that one is never alone.
你问了这么多问题,杰克斯小姐。我可以问你们一个人吗?
You’ve been asking all the questions, Miss Jelkes. May I ask one of you?
问它。今晚这里的问题没有限制。
Ask it. There’s no limit on questions here tonight.
和答案吗?
And on answers?
Shannon先生,在你我之间,我想不出一个。
None that I can think of, Mr. Shannon, between you and me.
这就是问题所在。
This, then, is the question.
你这辈子有没有过…
Have you never in your life had any kind of…
…热爱生命吗?
…love life?
你介意把问题再说一遍吗?
Would you mind repeating the question?
你在你的生活或旅行中有没有遇到过任何经验…
Have you never in your life or travels had any encounter with any experience of…
…疯子拉里会怎么形容爱情生活呢?
…what Larry the Crackpot would describe as a love life?
还有比贞操更糟糕的事情,Shannon先生。
There are worse things than chastity, Mr. Shannon.
是的,精神错乱和死亡。
Yes, lunacy and death.
如果你不想回答这个问题…
Well, if you don’t want to answer the question…
不不,我不介意回答。
No, no, I don’t mind answering.
是的。
Yes.
是的。我有两种经历……嗯,遇到。
Yes. I have had two experiences… Well, encounters with.
两个。
Two.
是的,我说两个。
Yes, I said two.
当我16岁的时候。
When I was 16.
十六岁。
Sixteen.
是的,16岁。
Yes, 16.
我16岁的时候……
When I was 16…
…每个星期六我都去看星期六的日场。
…every Saturday I would go to the Saturday matinee…
…在楠塔基特的电影院。
…at the Nantucket Movie Theater.
那是在我父母死于车祸后不久。
That was soon after my parents were killed in an automobile accident…
…我非常孤独。
…and I was very alone.
有一天,一个年轻人……
Well, one day a young man…
…在我旁边坐下,把他的膝盖抵在我的膝盖上。
…sat down beside me and pushed his knee against mine.
我挪了过去,他也挪了过去,继续施加压力。
I moved over but he moved over too, and continued the pressure.
我跳起来尖叫起来……
I jumped up and screamed…
…他因猥亵一名未成年人而被捕。
…and he was arrested for molesting a minor.
他还在南塔开特监狱里吗?
Is he still in the Nantucket jail?
不。不,是我把他弄出来的。
No. No, I got him out.
我告诉警♥察♥那是嘉宝的照片。
I told the police it was a Garbo picture.
那是嘉宝的照片。
It was a Garbo picture.
我只是太兴奋了。
And that I was just overexcited.
和第二个?
And the second?
第二次经历要近得多。
The second experience is much more recent.
四年前,我和Nonno在香港的时候。
Only four years ago, when Nonno and I were in Hong Kong.
有一天晚上……
One evening…
…在克里夫酒店的棕榈庭院…
…in the Palm Court of Cliff Hotel…
…我们遇到了一个中年人,有点…
…we met this middle-aged, sort of…
…澳大利亚的推销员。
…nondescript Australian salesman.
你知道,胖乎乎的,秃头的,有斑点的,过分友好的。
You know, plump, bald, spotted, and terribly over-friendly.
我画了一张他的素描,无♥耻♥地奉承他……
I did a sketch of him that was shamelessly flattering…
…他给了我比平时更多的钱。
…for which he paid me more than my usual price.
马来人的十块钱。
Ten Malayan dollars.
然后,他邀请我和他一起坐舢板出去。
Then, he asked me out in a sampan with him.
他太慷慨了……
Well, he’d been so generous…
…我接受了。
…I accepted.
我做到了。
I did.
我接受了。
I accepted.
爷爷上楼去睡觉了。
Grandfather went up to bed.
我坐舢板出去了……
And I went out in the sampan…
…和澳洲内衣推销员在一起。
…with the Aussie underwear salesman.
我注意到他变得越来越……
I noticed he became more and more…
什么?
What?
激动。
Agitated.
好吧,最后,他靠向我。
Well, finally, he leant towards me.
我们坐在舢板上面对面。
We were vis-à-vis in the sampan.
他热切而热情地望着我的眼睛说:
And he looked intensely and passionately into my eyes and said:
“吉尔克斯小姐,你能帮我一个忙吗?”
“Miss Jelkes, would you do me a favor?
你能为我做点事吗?”
Would you do something for me?”
“什么?”我问。
“What?” I asked.
“好吧,”他说:
“Well,” he said:
“如果我转过身去……
“If I turn my back…
…如果我从另一个角度看……
…if I look the other way…
…你能脱下你的一件衣服让我拿着吗?
…will you take off some piece of your clothing and let me hold it?
,就拿着它。”
Just hold it.”
在这种情况下你做了什么?
And what did you do in this situation?
我照他说的做了。
I did as he asked.
他遵守了他的诺言。
And he kept his promise.
他一直转过身去,直到我说“准备好了”……
He kept his back turned until I said “Ready”…
…把我的那块衣服扔给了他。
…and threw him the piece of my clothing.
但他拿它做了什么?
But what did he do with it?
我不知道。我看向另一边。
I don’t know. I looked the other way.
-那经验,你称之为…?-爱情经历?
– And that experience, you call that a…? – A love experience?
是的,Shannon先生。
Yes, I do, Mr. Shannon.
那个悲伤又肮脏的小插曲,你称之为…
That sad little, dirty little episode, you call it a…
对这个可怜的小个子来说,这无疑是悲哀的。但你为什么说它肮脏呢?
Sad, it certainly was for the poor little man. But why do you call it dirty?
你是说你不讨厌它?
You mean you weren’t disgusted by it?
我不讨厌人类,Shannon先生。
Nothing human disgusts me, Mr. Shannon.
除非是不友善或暴♥力♥。
Unless it’s unkind or violent.
我告诉过你…
And I told you how…
他是多么温柔啊。
How gentle he was.
抱歉,害羞。
Apologetic, shy.
和真的很……
And really very…

…well…
…的。
…delicate about it.
然而,我承认这是相当不可思议的。
However, I do grant you that it was rather on the fantastic level.
你在干什么?
What are you doing?
解开你的。
Untying you.
为什么?为什么是现在?
Why? Why now?
我想那个幽灵已经被驱除了,Shannon先生。你已经停止奋斗。
I think the spook is exorcised, Mr. Shannon. You’ve ceased to struggle.
接受生活当然是生活的首要条件。
And acceptance of life is surely the first requisite for living it.
你告诉玛克辛你帮她度过了这样一场危机的那个人是谁?
Who was the person you told Maxine you’d helped through a crackup like this?
哦,,。
Oh, that.
我自己。
Myself.
哦。哦,你呢?
Oh. Oh, you?
哦,是的。
Oh, yes.
我也有过一次和你一样的惊吓。
I had a spook like yours once.
我只是给他起了个不同的名字。
I just had a different name for him.
我以前叫他“蓝魔”。
I used to call him the “blue devil.”
-我们之间有过一场激烈的竞争。——你……
– And we had quite a contest between us. – Which you…
你赢了。
Which you won.
我输不起。
I couldn’t afford to lose.
你怎么……?你是怎么打败你的蓝魔的?
How did you…? How did you beat this blue devil of yours?
我让他知道我能忍♥受他。
I showed him I could endure him.
-让他尊重我的忍♥耐力。——如何?
– And made him respect my endurance. – How?
仅仅通过持久。
Just by enduring.
耐力是幽灵和蓝魔所尊敬的东西。
Endurance is something that spooks and blue devils respect.
他们尊重所有的技巧…
And they respect all the tricks…
…惊慌失措的人们用智取战胜恐慌。
…that panicky people use to outwit and outlast their panic.
比如做几次深呼吸?
Like taking a few deep, deep breaths?
或rum-cocos。
Or rum-cocos.
甚至是沙滩男孩。
Or even beach boys.
任何东西。我们所做的一切都是为了甩掉他们。
Anything. Everything we do to give them the slip.
所以继续。
So keep on going.
到哪里?
To where?
也许是去像这样的地方。
To somewhere like this, perhaps.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!