我悲惨的一生已经走到了尽头
Having reached the end of my poor sinner’s life…
我的头发也已斑白
…my hair now white…
在告别之际, 我要在这张羊皮纸上…
…I prepare to leave, on this parchment, my testimony…
写下年轻时候的一段幽暗经历
…as to the wondrous and terrible events that I witnessed in my youth…
当时是西元1327年
…towards the end of the year of our Lord, 1327.
愿主赐给我智慧与慈悲
May God grant me the wisdom and grace…
让我得以如实地纪录当时的一切
…to be the faithful chronicler of the happenings that took place…
事情发生的地点, 是在义大利北部的一座修道院
…in a remote abbey in the dark north of Italy.
即使到了今天…
An abbey whose name it seems even now…
它的名字似乎仍旧是个禁忌
…pious and prudent to omit.
但愿我能就此摆脱过去, 让双手不再颤抖
May my hand not tremble now that I start to relive the past…
让我的心灵也得以解放
…and revive the feelings of uneasiness that oppressed my heart…
不再受到那段往事的压♥迫♥
…as we entered the battlements.
我们该告诉他吗?
Should we tell him?
不
No.
他只会坏了事
He will look in the wrong places.
但是…
But…
要是他自己发现了呢?
…what if he should learn it of his own accord?
你太看得起他了, 院长
You overestimate his talents, my lord abbot.
只有一个地方有权力调查此事
There is only one authority capable of investigating such matters.
神圣的宗教法庭
The Holy Inquisition.
你怎么看, Jorge副主教?
What is your opinion, Venerable Jorge?
亲爱的教友…
Dear brethren…
我要将这件事情交付给年轻人
…I leave such worldly matters to younger men.
Adso
Adso.
在, 师♥父♥? -想要操控自然…
Yes, master? -In order to command nature…
就先得学习顺从它
…one must first learn to obey it.
回到前院去, 走到左手边的那栋建筑物
Return to the forecourts, get the edificium on your left…
然后从右边的方院进去, 你就会找到你需要的地方了
…enter the quadrangle on your right, you’ll find the place you need.
就在第三座拱门的后面
Behind the third arch.
你不是说你从来没来过这里
But you told me you’d never been to this abbey.
当我们到达时, 我见到一个弟兄急忙地往那走去
When we arrived, I saw a brother making for the spot in some haste.
但我注意到他出来之后, 不仅脚步放慢了…
I noticed, however, that he emerged more slowly…
还显得一付很满足的样子
…with an air of contentment.
谢谢你
Thank you, master.
我代表圣本笃修会诚挚地欢迎您…
On behalf of the Benedictine order, I am honored to welcome you…
和您的方济会弟兄来到敝修道院
…and your Franciscan brothers to our abbey.
其他的代表已经到了吗?
The other delegates, they have arrived?
Ubertino·de·Casale已经来几个星期了
Ubertino de Casale has been here for some weeks.
其他人则明天才到
The others are due tomorrow.
长途跋涉您一定很累了
You must be very tired after your long journey.
不
No.
倒没有特别累
Not particularly.
我想你应该没缺什么吧?
I trust you’re not in need of anything?
不劳您费心了
No. Thank you.
那么…
Well…
就祝你平安了
Well, then I bid you peace.
对于你们的教友日前不幸过世一事, 我感到十分遗憾
I’m sorry to see one of your brethren has recently been gathered unto God.
是的, 的确是一大损失
Yes, a terrible loss.
Adelmo是我们最优秀的画师之一
Brother Adelmo was one of our finest illuminators.
不是奥传托的Adelmo吧 -你认识他吗?
Not Adelmo of Otranto. -You knew him?
不认识, 但我很欣赏他的作品
No, but I knew and admired his work.
他的幽默感和逗趣的画风
His humor and comic images…
可以说是令他声名狼藉
…were almost infamous.
但据说他还很年轻 -一点也没错
But he was said to be a young man. -Oh, yes.
的确是非常年轻
Yes, very young indeed.
想必是意外吧? -是的
An accident, no doubt? -Yes.
如你所说, 是一场意外
Yes, as you say, an accident.
正是如此
Well, that is, I…
William弟兄…
Brother William…
可否容我直言?
…may I speak with you candidly?
看来你正打算这么做
You seem most anxious to do so.
当我听说你要到我们修道院来时…
When I heard you were coming to our abbey…
我就想我的祷告终于有了回应
…I thought it was an answer to my prayers.
我说, 这个拥有智慧的男人, 不仅具有人道精神…
“Here,” I said, “is a man who has knowledge, both of the human spirit…
同时还诡计多端
…and of the wiles of the evil one.”
事实上, Adelmo的死, 令信徒们感到非常的不安
The fact is, Adelmo’s death has caused much spiritual unease among my flock.
这是我的徒弟, Adso…
This is my novice, Adso…
Melk男爵的小儿子
…the youngest son of the Baron of Melk.
请继续
Please do continue.
尸体是在雹暴后发现的
We found the body after a hailstorm…
四肢支离破碎, 散落在塔楼底下的大石头上…
…horribly mutilated, dashed against a rock at the foot of the tower…
就在窗户的下方, 而那扇窗…
…under a window, which was…
我该怎么说?
How shall I say this?
它… -它是关着的
Which was… -Which was found closed.
有人跟你说过了 -如果它是开着的…
Somebody told you. -Had it been found open…
那他很可能就是坠楼而死
…you would have concluded that he’d fallen.
William弟兄…
Brother William…
窗户根本就开不了
…the window cannot be opened…
而玻璃也没有被打破
…nor was the glass shattered…
甚至也没有通道可以上得去屋顶
…nor is there any access to the roof above.
我懂了
Oh, I see.
由于你无法提出一个合理的解释…
And because you can offer no natural explanation…
因此修道士开始怀疑城墙有超能力
…your monks suspect the presence of a supernatural force within these walls.
所以我需要旁人给我点意见…
That’s why I need the counsel…
就像你这样的智者, William弟兄
…of an acute man such as you, Brother William.
有能力发掘真♥相♥…
Acute in uncovering…
行事小心, 如果有必要的话…
…and prudent, if necessary…
还得能够隐瞒事实…
…in covering up…
并在教皇的代表到达之前完成此事
…before the papal delegates arrive.
我想你一定知道, 我已经不再处理这种事情了
Surely you know, my lord, I no longer deal in such matters.
若非不得已, 我也不愿意惊动你出马
I am indeed reluctant to burden you with my dilemma…
但为了要安抚信徒们…
…but unless I can put the minds of my flock at rest…
除了求助于宗教法庭之外, 我实在是无计可施
…I will have no alternative but to summon the help of the Inquisition.
Adso
Adso!
那是Ubertino·de·Casale…
That is Ubertino de Casale…
教团里最了不起的精神领袖之一
…one of the great spiritual leaders of our order.
过来
Come.
有许多人把他当成圣人一样崇拜
Many revere him as a living saint…
但也有不少人视他为异端, 欲烧之而后快
…but others would have him burned as a heretic.
他那本以穷教会为主题的着作, 惹恼了教廷里的人
His book on the poverty of the clergy isn’t favored reading in papal palaces.
所以他只好像逃犯一样躲起来
So now he lives in hiding like an outlaw.
方济会教♥徒♥们…
Fellow Franciscans…
你得马上离开这个地方
…you must leave this place at once.
恶魔已经占据了这个修道院
The devil is roaming this abbey.
Ubertino…
Ubertino…
我是William
…it’s William.
贝克镇的William
William of Baskerville.
William?
William…?
不
No.
William已经死了
William is dead.
William, 好孩子
William, my son…
原谅我
…forgive me.
我们好久没有你的消息了
We had lost trace of you for so long.
因为我努力地想要被遗忘
I tried very hard to be forgotten.
当我们听说你出了事时…
When we heard of your troubles…
我就向圣母玛莉亚祈求奇迹出现
…I prayed to our virgin for a miracle.
那你的祈祷确实奏效了
Then your prayers met with a favorable response.
这是跟着我的修士徒弟, Melk的Adso
This is my young novice, Adso of Melk.
他的父亲请我照料他的学业和生活
His father has entrusted me with his education and welfare.
你得马上带他离开这里!
You must get him out of here!
你听不懂吗? 恶魔会把美少年扔出窗外
Have you not heard, the devil is hurling beautiful boys out of windows?
那个死去的少年…
There was something…
有一点…
…feminine…
女性化…
…something diabolical…
还带了一点邪气
…about the young one who died.
他有一对如少女般的眸子…
He had the eyes of a girl…
企求着能和恶魔交欢
…seeking intercourse with the devil.
当心这个地方
Beware of this place.
野兽就在我们之间
The beast is still among us.