就是教他们自己保护自己
is to teach them to do it for themselves.
这就是我想教海伦做的
That’s what I’m trying to do with Helen.
你现在对她是什么要求
What you demand of her now
将来她就会是什么样的
is all she’ll ever be.
台阶
Step.
上尉
Captain.
结果呢 今天早上的还不够吗
And if what happened this morning wasn’t enough,
海伦根本不敢靠近她
Helen can’t stand to be near her.
事情变得更糟了
Things have gotten worse,
我要你尽快解雇她
and I want you to give her notice.
不要
No.
好吧 如果你不说 我来说
Well, if you won’t, I must.
晚上好 上尉 凯勒太太
Good evening, Captain, Mrs. Keller.
莎莉文老师
Miss Sullivan…
我发现我对你不太满意
I find that I am not satisfied with this..
是这样的
That is, this arrangement..
你可以把眼镜摘下来吗
Will you please take off your glasses?
否则我很难和你说下去
I find it very difficult to speak to you with them on.
好的 没问题
Well, of course.
拿好眼镜
If you must, keep them on.
现在 莎莉文老师
Now, Miss Sullivan..
上尉 请告诉我
Please tell me, Captain,
树林里的那间小屋是用来做什么的
is the little house in the grove of trees being used for anything?
那个花房♥吗
The garden house?
这正是我要说的
This is just what I am talking about.
莎莉文老师 如果你想继续留在这里
Miss Sullivan, if you expect to stay on here,
你得改改你的态度
there must be a change in your manner.
你得让我信服 那个像躲瘟疫一样躲你
And you must convince me that there is the slightest
的孩子还有一丝的教育希望
hope of teaching a child who flees from you like the plague.
你可以再同情一点她
You could show some sympathy.
上尉 你说的完全正确
You’re absolutely right, Captain.
对于一个企图逃离我的孩子
There is not the slightest possibility
我实在不太可能教育她
of teaching a child who runs away from me.
这里根本毫无希望 只有认清这一点
It is hopeless here, and the sooner we realize that,
才能找到有效的解决办法
the sooner we can get to a solution.
不可能毫无希望的
It is not hopeless!
海伦10个月大的时候就会说话了
Helen could talk by the time she was 10 months old.
在生病之前 她是那么好的一个孩子
Before this illness, she was such a good child.
是的 她是个不一般的孩子
Yes, she was an extraordinary child.
我也相信
I believe that,
但她已经不再是那个孩子了
but she’s not that child anymore.
我见过的宠物 表现都比她好
I’ve seen pets behave better than she does
这是因为你们的同情所造成的
and it’s your pity that’s the cause of it.
你说什么
I beg your pardon!
恐怕对海伦最大的阻碍
I’m afraid your love for Helen
不是失明或失聪 而是你们对她的溺爱
is a greater handicap to her than her blindness or her deafness.
安妮 你来之前 我们曾讨论把她送进疗养院
Annie, before you came, we spoke of putting Helen in an asylum.
请别放弃海伦
Please don’t give up.
显然 莎莉文老师觉得已经没有希望了
Obviously, Miss Sullivan thinks it’s hopeless.
在这里 在这里才没有希望
Here! It’s hopeless here!
我才刚刚开始
I’m only just beginning!
请让我证明给你们看
Please let me show you.
请跟我来
Please follow me.
天知道这有什么用
God knows what this do with anyway.
真是荒谬
This is ridiculous.
我相信我能让海伦取得进步
I believe I can only make progress with Helen
如果我能完全负责她的话
If I have complete charge of her.
我们已经把她交给你了啊
But you already have that.
不 我说的是不分昼夜
No. I mean day and night.
她必须完全交给我负责
She must depend on me.
为了什么
For what?
为了一切 她的食物 衣服 玩耍时间 糖果
For everything! Her food, her clothes her play time, her sweets.
这些全都是教学工具 我可以用来接近她
All of these things are tools that I can use to reach her.
如果她从你身边逃走 你打算怎么办
And how do you propose to do that when she runs away from you?
如果她能逃到你们那里 我就没辙了
If she can run to you, I have no hope.
所以我必须和她一起住在别的地方
Which is why I must live with her somewhere else.
你们可以用马车绕路把海伦带到这里
You can bring Helen here after a long carriage ride.
她不会知道自己在哪里的
She won’t know where she is,
你们每天仍然能见到她
and you can still see her every day,
前提是她不知道你们在这里
provided she does not know you’re here.
你会带她多久
How long would you keep her?
能多久就多久
As long as it takes.
这是唯一的办法了
I know this is the way!
还有 上尉 恕我无礼
And, Captain, I cannot be rude to you
如果你不在旁边干涉我就更好了
if you’re not around to interfere with me.
我明白 如果我不同意
Am I to understand that if I say no to this,
你会放弃照顾海伦 去疗养院吗
you will abandon your charge to an asylum?
上尉 疗养院不是海伦该去的地方
An asylum is no place for Helen, Captain.
相信我 我很清楚
Believe me, I know.
因为我就在疗养院长大
I grew up in an asylum..
在贫民救济院里
in the state poorhouse,
我和弟弟在一起 直到他病世为止
my brother and I.. until it took his life.
我们的游戏室就是
Our playroom was the dead house
坟墓挖好之前放置尸体的地方
where they kept the bodies until they could dig the graves.
这事让我变得坚强
It made me strong,
但是海伦已经够坚强了
but Helen is strong enough already.
请你们给我机会
Please give me this chance.
也给她机会去拯救自己
Give her this chance to save herself.
莎莉文老师 你喜欢海伦吗
Miss Sullivan, do you like this child?
那你呢
Do you?
上尉
Captain…
请你同意吧
with your permission.
我给你两周时间
I’ll give you 2 weeks.
你有两周时间让海伦认可你
You have 2 weeks to get the child to tolerate you.
珀西可以留在这里帮你跑腿什么的
Percy could stay here. He could run errands for you.
两周时间是不够的
2 weeks is not enough.
我只给你两周时间
2 weeks is what I am offering.
那好吧
I’ll take it.
莎莉文老师 皮箱要放在哪里
Where would you like your suitcase, Miss Sullivan?
哦 随便放就行
Oh, anywhere is fine.
在这种地方 你打算怎么教育她
How do you expect to win her over in this place?
把她绑在椅子上吗
You plan to tie her to the chair?
你怎么不同情海伦呢
How is it you have no pity for Helen?
同情别人只是在浪费精力而已
To have pity for someone is a waste of energy.
觉得自己需要被同情 就更糟了
Feeling sorry for ourselves is even worse.
愿你成功 莎莉文老师
Well, I hope you win, Miss Sullivan.
我们绕了两个小时才到这儿
Well, we rode in the country for 2 hours.
她应该觉得是到了另一个城镇了
For all she knows she could be in another town.
把她带进来吧
Bring her inside, please.
哦 她要找我了
Oh, she wants me.
两周后她就可以找你了
She can have you back in 2 weeks.
安妮老师 请好好照顾她
Miss Annie, please take good care of her.
我会的
I will.
珀西
Percy!
醒醒 我需要你帮忙
Wake up. I need your help.
再试一次
Try again.
再试一次
Try again.
很好
Good.
放开我
Let me go.
她会拧我
She gonna pinch me.
我觉得她想说话
I think she’s trying to talk.
她会说话
She can talk.
但她得用手比划字母说 我比给你看
But she’s got to use her hands. Here. Let me show you.
她正在对我发脾气 所以她不想比划
She’s mad at me now, so she doesn’t want to play,
但她会比划很多字母
but she knows a lot of letters.
C
“C…”
A
“A…”
K
“K…”
E
“E.”
蛋糕
Cake.