她明白你说的是什么意思吗
Does she understand what you mean?
她不懂 但她总有一天会懂的
Not yet, but she will someday
直到她听了足够多的话
if she hears enough words.
我在让海伦听词句
I’m letting Helen hear the words.
要花多久的时间呢
How long will it take?
也许会学一百万个词
A million words, maybe.
钢笔
Pen.
你看到了吗
Did you see that?
我拼钢笔这个词
I spelled “pen.”
她却拼了蛋糕这个词
She spelled “cake.”
她想知道这两个词语的差异
She wants to see if I can tell the difference.
凯勒太太 她的智力并没有问题
There’s is nothing impaired in that head, Mrs. Keller.
海伦很聪明 但也很易怒
Helen is smart… and angry.
我要好好利用这一点
I can use that.
你能教我那些字母的拼法吗
Can you teach me those letters?
明天就教
I’ll start tomorrow.
如果我们俩都教她拼写
If both of us are spelling to her,
那每个人教50万个词就行了
that makes only about half a million words each.
啊
Ow!
海伦
Helen!
海伦
Helen.
为什么她刺伤我 你还要给她糖
Why does she get a reward for stabbing me?
我 我也不知道
I.. I don’t know.
我 我很抱歉
I’m..I’m sorry.
莎莉文老师 吃早饭了
Miss Sullivan, breakfast is ready.
我用拿梯子吗
Shall I get the ladder?
够了 吉米
That’s enough,Jimmy.
哦 早上好 安妮老师
Oh, good morning, Miss Annie.
早上好
Good morning.
早啊
Morning.
莎莉文老师 我希望你已经安顿好了
I hope you’ve settled in comfortably, Miss Sullivan.
上尉 谢谢 已经好了
Thank you, Captain. I have.
请用饭吧
Please, help yourself.
安妮老师
Miss Annie.
如果你还需要什么 尽管跟我们说
If there is ever anything that you need, please let us know.
爸爸 烟草的价格上涨了
Tobacco prices are up, Father.
我们今年应该能赚不少钱
We should earn a nice profit this year for a change.
以前 一个人务农就能过上好日子
It used to be that a man could make a good living running a farm.
嗯 如果你不再做报社的生意
Well, perhaps if you’d leave your pet newspaper
而是过来教我经营事业
and come show me my business,
我们会赚很多钱的
…we could make some real money.
不要在莎莉文老师面前说这些
Not in front of Miss Sullivan.
为什么不能在她面前说呢
Why not in front of Miss Sullivan?
安妮老师
Miss Annie,
海伦习惯了吃我们盘子里的东西
Helen is used to helping herself from our plates.
这我恐怕不能习惯
I’m afraid I’m not used to it.
你当然不能
No, of course not.
维尼 再帮莎莉文老师拿一个盘子来
Viney, please bring Miss Sullivan another plate.
上尉 这不是盘子的问题
There’s nothing wrong with my plate, Captain,
只是海伦的手不应该在里面
only that Helen’s hands don’t belong in it.
不用为了一个盘子而破坏吃早饭的气氛吧
One plate is hardly worth spoiling our breakfast over.
你看到了 她只会一直这么做 不达目的不罢休
You see, she’s just going to keep trying until she gets her way.
我要求你别再抓着她
I must insist that you let the girl go.
谢谢
Thank you.
哦 你看 她又要伤害自己了
Oh, look, now she’s hurt herself.
不 她没有
No, she hasn’t.
我只看到一个被溺爱的孩子在耍脾气
I know a tantrum when I see one and a badly spoiled child.
哦 莎莉文老师
Oh, Miss Sullivan.
请你同情她一点吧
Please, show some pity.
这种行为还要同情她吗
For this kind of behavior?
她根本不需要同情
Pity’s the one thing she doesn’t need.
整个家都被她用手脚摆布着
The whole house waits on her hand and foot.
听听
Hear, hear.
你别插手
You stay out of this.
这只是一件小事 你就让海伦做吧
Letting Helen have her own way.. it’s really such a small thing.
小事 你们似乎都习以为常了
Small? It’s seems you’ve all decided
所以你们才会轻易地同情海伦
it’s easier to feel sorry for Helen
而不是端正她的行为
than to teach her how to behave.
哦 莎莉文老师 我还没见你教会她什么呢
Well, I’ve not seen that you’ve taught her anything yet, Miss Sullivan.
没错 上尉 你观察的很仔细
Quite right, Captain. Well observed.
如果你们现在离开房♥间 我就开始教她
I’ll start right now if you’ll leave the room.
离开房♥间吗
Leave the room?
是的 请离开
Yes. Please, Captain.
现在请你们离开房♥间
Right now, if you’ll leave the room.
莎莉文老师
Miss Sullivan..
如果你们不愿意面对她耍脾气的事实
If you’re not willing to stand up to one tantrum,
我什么都教不了她
I cannot teach her anything.
凯勒太太 你刚问我需要什么
Mrs. Keller, you asked if there was anything I needed.
我是说过 但是
Yes, but I..
我需要和海伦独处
I need to be alone with Helen.
现在
Right now.
莎莉文老师
Miss Sullivan..
上尉
Captain.
詹姆斯
James.
上尉 我们可以去外面谈谈吗
Captain, may I speak with you outside?
请给我们一点时间
Give us a moment, please.
哦 好
Oh…
这真荒谬
This is absurd.
亚瑟 我相信她 她是为海伦好
Arthur, I’m sure that she is only trying to do what is best.
我不想让这个家变成马戏团
I will not have my house turned into a circus.
除非她改变教育态度
Unless there is a change in attitude,
否则就解雇她
Miss Sullivan is dismissed.
亚瑟 那我们对海伦还有什么希望呢
Arthur, and then what hope do we have for Helen?
跟以前一样不就好了
No less than we had before,
这样或许还可以安静一点呢
and then perhaps we can regain some quiet.
哦 天呐
Oh, God.
很好
Good.
太太 怎么办
What you want me to do, Miss Kate?
已经中午了 早餐的盘子还没收拾
It’s noon time, and the breakfast dishes ain’t been cleared.
宝宝乖
Hush, now.
我来抱吧
Come on.
海伦 学会了 自己用勺子 在盘子里挖饭吃
Helen… ate from her own plate with a spoon all by herself…
她还学会了把餐巾叠好
and she folded her napkin.
房♥间里一片狼藉
The room’s a wreck,
不过她叠好了餐巾
but she folded her napkin.
我回房♥间了 凯勒太太
I’ll be in my room, Mrs. Keller.
哦 海伦
Oh, Helen.
安妮老师 别上去太久
Don’t be long now, Miss Annie.
午餐马上就好了
Lunch going to be ready right away.
我的海伦会叠餐巾了
My Helen folded her napkin.
你在看什么书
What are you reading?
豪医生对盲人劳拉·布里奇曼的治疗记录
Dr. Howe’s account of his patient Laura Bridgman.
她从两岁起就成了聋哑盲人
She was deaf, blind, and mute from the age of 2.
他成功治疗了她吗
Did he succeed with her?
是的
He did.
所以成功是可能的
Then it is possible.
有毅力的话 是可以的
With patience, I suppose..
我以前在帕金斯学校 就没有机会展现毅力
something they did not give me a certificate for at Perkins.
因为早上那件事
After this morning’s lesson…
我先生要解雇你
the Captain wants me to dismiss you,
但我坚持让你留下
but I am going to insist that you remain.
感谢你
Thank you.
安妮老师 你的家人在哪儿
Where is your family, Miss Annie?
我唯一的弟弟吉米
My brother Jimmie was the last I had.
12年前去世了
He died 12 years ago.
我很遗憾 我
I’m sorry. I..
我试图保护他
I tried to protect him.
但还是失败了
I failed.
执意要保护一个人是没有用的 真的
It’s no use trying to protect or speak for other people. Not really.
唯一的希望
The only hope