好吧 海伦
All right, then, Helen.
洋娃娃将是你要学习的第一个词
“Doll” will be your first word.
这个词再好不过了
It’s as good as any.
D
” D…”
O
“O…”
L
” L…”
L
” L.”
洋娃娃
Doll.
洋娃娃
Doll.
它是有名字的
It has a name.
D
“D…”
O
“O…”
L
“L…”
亨利 谢谢
Thank you, Henry.
珀西 谢谢
Thank you, Percy.
你那是在做什么
So, what was that?
某种小游戏吗
Some sort of game?
这是针对聋人使用的字母表
It’s an alphabet for the deaf.
每个字母对应一个手势
Each letter has a sign.
D
“D…”
O
“O…”
L
“L…”
L
“L.”
洋娃娃
Doll.
首先 她要学会模仿
First, she will learn to imitate.
D O
” D,” “O…”
噢 她会模仿动作的
Oh, she can imitate things, all right..
就像一只普通的小猴子
like a regular little monkey.
像一只聪明的小猴子
A bright little monkey.
D
” D.”
我觉得她想拿回她的洋娃娃
I think she wants her doll back.
她得拼出这个词才能把它拿回去
She can have it back when she spells it.
她都不知道词是什么
She has no idea what words even are.
怎么会拼呢
How can she spell them?
如果她的手指能学会比划字母
If her fingers learn the letters now,
也许有一天
then maybe someday
她的大脑就会知道词语的意思
her brain will learn that they have a meaning.
比划字母是你编出来的吗
Did you make up this alphabet?
我吗 不是
Me? No.
西班牙的修道士们在安静中创造出来的
Spanish monks under a vow of silence,
詹姆斯先生 我希望你能保持安静
which, Mr.James, I wish you would take.
C
“C…”
A
“A…”
K
“K…”
E
“E.”
蛋糕
Cake.
C
“C…”
A
“A…”
K
“K…”
E
“E.”
很好
Very good.
蛋糕
Cake.
D
“D…”
O
“O…”
L
“L…”
L
“L.”
D
“D…”
O
“O…”
L
“L…”
L
“L.”
很好 海伦 很好
Very good, Helen. Very good.
第一课表现不错
Good first lesson.
你做得很好 做得很好
Very well done. Very well done.
哦 哦
Ohh! Ohh!
海伦
Helen!
放我出去 你这个调皮的女孩
Let me out, you wicked girl.
海伦
Helen!
哦 真不知道该不该说她聪明
Ohh. And I wondered if she was bright.
她才是这个家里最聪明的
She’s the brightest one in this house.
安妮老师在哪里
Where is Miss Annie?
她在她的房♥间里
She’s in her room.
没人叫她吃晚饭吗
Didn’t anyone call her to supper?
詹姆斯 上楼请她下来
Arthur:James, go upstairs and bring her down.
没问题 我去拿梯子
Certainly. I’ll get the ladder.
什么
What?
我需要梯子 不会花很长时间的
I’ll need a ladder. It won’t take long.
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
海伦把她锁在房♥间里 然后拿着钥匙跑了
Well, Helen locked her in her room and run off with the key.
那你就安心地坐在那里 什么也不说吗
And I suppose you are going to sit there and say nothing.
爸爸 是你说过不关我的事的
You told me it was none of my business, Father.
我只是在听你的话而已
I was just trying to respect your wishes.
莎莉文老师 你在里面吗
Miss Sullivan, are you in there?
是的 我在
Yes, sir, I’m in here.
你那边没有钥匙吗
Isn’t there a key on your side?
没有 这里没有钥匙
No, sir. There’s no key, sir.
把梯子收起来 吉米
Put that ladder away,Jimmy.
爸爸 听你的
Whatever you say, Father.
在找到钥匙之前 我们也不能把安妮老师锁着啊
Captain, we can’t keep Miss Annie locked up until we find the key.
詹姆斯
James.
把梯子拿回来
Bring the ladder back.
爸爸 听你的
Whatever you say, Father.
我是雇佣她来解决问题的 而不是来制♥造♥问题的
I hired her to solve problems, not create them.
扶好梯子 吉米 谢谢你 珀西
Hold it, Jimmy. Thank you, Percy.
莎莉文老师
Miss Sullivan!
是的 上尉 我在
Yes, Captain Keller?
虽然这不是很好的示范 不过你可以试试看
I hope this is not a sample of what we can expect of you.
你出来坐在我的肩膀上
Come out and sit on my shoulder.
我完全可以自己下梯子的
I’m perfectly capable of going down a ladder by myself.
你就照我说的做吧 莎莉文老师
Do as I say, Miss Sullivan.
你可真是彬彬有礼
Very chivalrous of you.
这不是彬彬有礼 这是受现实所迫
This is not chivalry. This is practicality.
你被困在房♥间里对我们也没有好处
You’re no good to us trapped in a room.
还好不到10分钟就下来了
Not in the house 10 minutes.
老实说 我本来还在想你能不能办到
Honestly, I don’t see how you managed it.
我来找钥匙吧
I’ll look for the key, sir.
谢谢 那些有钥匙可以上锁的房♥间就不用再看了
Thank you. Just don’t look in any rooms that can be locked.
好的 各位 都结束了
All right, everyone. Excitement’s over.
最好还是把L-A-D-D-E-R(梯子)留在这里吧
I’d better leave the L-A-D-D-E-R.
哦 你这个小恶魔
Oh, you little devil.
你要是觉得你能这么容易摆脱我 那你就错了
If you think you can get rid of me that easily, you’re wrong.
我没有好工作了
I have nothing better to do
也无处可去了
and nowhere else to go.
据我所知
To the best of my knowledge,
这个家没人曾试图控制这个女孩儿的脾气
no one in this house has ever tried to control the girl,
但是
but…
我怎样才能在不伤害她的情况下管教她呢
how can I discipline her without breaking her spirit?
但是
But…
如果她不听我的话
if she won’t obey me…
哦
Oh!
墨水
Ink.
它有是名字的
It has a name.
钢笔
Pen.
不能这样 海伦
No, Helen.
坏
Bad…
女孩
girl.
安妮老师 你别介意 这也不是第一次了
No. Never you mind, Miss Annie. It’s.. It’s not the first.
不能这样 海伦
No, Helen.
她爸爸觉得你教海伦拼写词语
The Captain thinks that your spelling everything that Helen does
就像是对牛弹琴一样
is like spelling to a fence post.
你会跟孩子说话 是吧
You talk to the baby, don’t you?