我会写信给奇索姆医生
I’ll write to Dr. Chisolm.
知道了
I know.
帕金斯盲人学院
奇索姆医生也无法治疗这个女孩
Dr. Chisolm could do nothing for the girl
帕金斯盲人学院
帕金斯盲人学院
于是转介给了亚历山大·格雷汉姆·贝尔医生
and referred them to Dr. Alexander Graham Bell.
帕金斯盲人学院
于是转介给了亚历山大·格雷汉姆·贝尔医生
and referred them to Dr. Alexander Graham Bell.
由于女孩还小 父母不愿意把她送到这里来
As the girl is young, and the parents are not willing to send her to us,
于是我推荐了你当她的家庭教师
I have put you up for the role of governess.
家庭教师
Governess?
我看是保姆吧
Or nursemaid.
我知道你们早想把我打发走了
We both knew you’d get rid of me one of these days.
你在这里已经学有所成了
You’ve accomplished so much here.
你刚来时 甚至连自己的名字都不会拼
But when you first came to us, you couldn’t even spell your name.
你的眼睛还痛吗
Are your eyes still so painful?
不 是我的耳朵在痛
No. It’s my ears, sir.
讲讲那个孩子的事吧
Tell me about the child.
她聪明吗
Is she bright…
还是很笨呢
or dull?
她能被教会吗
Can she be taught?
他们说她很爱发脾气
She’s given to tantrums, they say.
我也是啊
So am I.
也许你应该警告凯勒一家有关于我的事
Maybe you should warn the Kellers about me.
你的背景我什么都没说
I’ve told them nothing of your history
只说了你能胜任这份工作
except your qualifications for the job.
这是火车票的钱
Here is the money for your train ticket.
这是我们送你的爱心礼物
And here is a gift from all of us, with our love.
我们会想念你的
We’re going to miss you.
安妮 这是我最后一次给你忠告
This is my last chance to counsel you, Annie.
你缺乏顺从他人的智慧和才能
You lack tact and the talent to bend to others.
所以你不容被他人愚弄 更难以被取悦
You’re hard to fool and harder to please,
尽管如此 我们依然为你感到骄傲
but all the same, we are proud of you.
我们去看看火车到了没
We’re off to meet the train again.
嗯 希望海伦和她好好相处
Well, I hope the girl is on this one.
哦 她会的
Oh, she will be.
那晚饭时再见了
Well, we’ll see you at supper, then.
孩子 你妈妈不在这里
Your mother’s not here, child.
不过爸爸在的
I’m here, though.
我是你♥爸♥爸
I’m your father.
我是你♥爸♥爸
I’m your father.
我以前抱着你在空中摇啊摇
I used to swing you through the air,
那时你还不到两岁呢
and you weren’t even 2 years of age yet.
不知道你还记不记得了
I wonder if you remember any of that…
记不记得大家
or any of us.
给你
Here you are.
给你一颗糖
There’s a piece of candy for you.
小姐 你想妈妈了 是吗
You want your mama, don’t you, missy?
你♥爸♥爸看到可能会不高兴的
Captain Keller, wouldn’t like this if he saw it,
但我觉得给你一颗糖会好点
but what’s one little candy going to hurt?
慢点走 先生 太太
Watch your step, sir. Ma’am.
不用担心我
Don’t worry about it, sir.
是莎莉文老师吗
Miss Sullivan?
对
Yes.
我是詹姆斯·凯勒
I’m James Keller.
我以前有个弟弟叫吉米
I had a brother, Jimmie.
你是海伦的
Are you Helen’s…
同父异母的哥哥
Half brother.
你有行李箱吗
Do you have a trunk?
有
Yes.
亨利 珀西 来拿行李
Henry, Percy.
莎莉文老师
Miss Sullivan.
见到你就放心了 我们刚刚还在担心你
I’m so relieved. We were beginning to get a little bit worried about you.
卖♥♥我票的那个人 我真应该把他绑到铁轨上
The man who sold me that ticket ought to be tied to the tracks.
我是凯瑟琳·凯勒 是海伦的妈妈
I’m Katherine Keller. I’m Helen’s mother.
你没带海伦来么
You didn’t bring Helen.
我本来希望你带来的
I was hoping you would.
哦 其实是她的爸爸下午想陪她
Well her father wanted to spend the afternoon with her, actually.
他们在一起相处的很开心
They so enjoy their time together.
凯特 你应该感到羞愧
Kate, you should be ashamed.
莎莉文老师 以后你就会发现 在南方
Miss Sullivan, you’ll find that in the south
我们说这些客套话只是为了取悦别人
we make up these little stories just to amuse each other.
希望你不会介意
I hope you won’t mind.
莎莉文老师 请问一个又聋又瞎的孩子能学多少
How much can a blind and deaf child learn, Miss Sullivan?
我也不知道
I don’t know.
她在跟你沟通上有问题吗
Does she communicate with you at all?
哦 她要什么我都知道 如果你指的是这个的话
Oh, well, I always know what she wants if that’s what you mean.
不 你才不知道
No, you don’t.
大家都知道
All anybody knows that
如果你给海伦一块糖 她会安静一会儿
if you give Helen a piece of candy, she’ll be quiet for a while.
莎莉文老师 你能教她坐着别动吗
Can you teach her to sit still, Miss Sullivan?
我得先教她学语言
I’d have to teach her language first.
语言
Language?
如果她不懂语言
If she doesn’t know words
她怎么会知道你们为什么要她坐着不动
how could she know why you want her to sit still?
莎莉文老师 也许你还不了解海伦的状况
Miss Sullivan, perhaps you were misled as to Helen’s condition.
她看不见也听不见
She can neither see nor hear.
但如果是她只是感官受损 而不是心智受损
But if it is her senses that are impaired and not her mind,
她一定得学会语言
she must have language.
语言对心智来说 比明亮的眼睛更重要
Language is more important to the mind than light is to the eye.
可是如果你不能和她说话 你怎么教她
But how will you teach her if you can’t talk to her?
反正我可以的
Anyway I can.
我们会尽全力去帮助你的
We are going to do everything that we can to help you.
安妮老师 你千万别跟我们客气
I don’t want you to think of us as strangers, Miss Annie.
我不会跟你们客气的
Strangers aren’t so strange to me.
我从来不跟别人客气的
I’ve been around them all my life.
小心点下车
Watch your step.
莎莉文老师 欢迎你的到来
Welcome to Ivy Green, Miss Sullivan.
希望你此次旅途愉快
I trust you had a good journey.
还算顺利 谢谢你
I had several. Thank you.
海伦在哪儿呢
Where’s Helen?
哦 安妮老师
Oh, Miss Annie?
你的房♥间在楼上的角落
We’ve put you in the upstairs corner room.
住在那里 如果夏天有风吹过 你会觉得很凉爽
Now, if there is any breeze at all this summer, you’re going to feel it.
我自己拿行李就好了 谢谢
I’ll take my suitcase, thanks.
没关系 我帮你拿
I have it, Miss Sullivan.
不用 我拿就好
No, please, let me.
我帮你拿吧
I wouldn’t think of it.
行李箱里有我给海伦的东西
I have something in it for Helen.
我不用被当作客人来对待
I needn’t to be treated like a guest.
我什么时候可以见到海伦
Now, when may I see Helen?
哦 她在那儿
Well, there she is.
那就是海伦
That’s Helen.
凯特 这个老师看起来很粗鲁啊
She seems very rough, Kate.
她为什么不摘下眼镜
Why didn’t she take her glasses off?
学校说亮光会刺痛她的眼睛
Well the institute said that the light hurts her eyes.
据说 她小时候也几乎失明
Apparently, she was nearly blind as a child.
失明
Blind?
她的眼睛做过9次手术了
Well, she’s had 9 operations on her eyes.
他们竟然让一个盲人来教另一个盲人
And they expect one blind person to teach another one?
她在那所学校教多久了
How long was she employed at that school?
哦 她没有在那里教过学
Well, she.. she wasn’t employed there.
她是那里最优秀的学生之一
She was one of their best students.
学生
Student?
爸爸 现在你要照顾两个盲人了
Now you have 2 blind girls to take care of, Father.
你少管闲事
You stay out of this.
詹姆斯
James…
你为什么对海伦这么刻薄
why do you have to be so mean about Helen?
我只想确认爸爸是怎么看待我的
Why, to confirm my father’s view of me, of course.
那些是我的东西
Those are mine.
对 对
Yes, yes.