锁骨断裂了 克雷恩
That’s a collarbone, Crane. It’s broken.
她无大碍
She’s okay, though.
他听懂了 他因谋杀罪被捕了?
So he understands, then, he’s under arrest for murder?
老戴夫 – 哦?
Big Dave. – Huh?
什么?他说什么?
What? What’d he say?
他说没事
He said okay.
他是这样说的吗?
Is that what he said?
你因为谋杀克里顿托勒佛 而被逮捕了
You’re under arrest for the murder of Creighton Tolliver.
你听懂了吗?
You understad that?
他听得懂吗?
Does he understand?
这个杂种
The pansy.
一个小孩潜到城外水池里
A kid diving in a water holeoutside of town had found his car.
发现了他的车子 拖出来以后
They winched it out…
发现他被重击 就像大戴夫讲过的
And found he’d been beaten, just like Big Dave said.
活活打死
Beaten to death.
从他的公事包找到了 我所签署的入伙合约
Inside his briefcase were the partnership papers I’d signed,
显示我给了他一万块钱
Showing that I’d given him ten grand.
地方检察官认定我有嫌疑
For the district attorney, that made it fall into place.
叫唆朵莉丝偷钱
I’d gotten Doris to steal the money.
那个杂种可能自作聪明 所以我杀他灭口
The pansy had gotten wise somehow, so I had to kill him to cover my tracks.
等候传讯
On the arraignment calendar,
被告艾德华克雷恩
People v. Edward Crane.
我被起诉了
I was in a spot.
你获授权答辩一次
You are charged in a one-count complaint…
宣示:委托佛烈迪雷因史耐德辩护 将房♥子转让给他
I called in Freddy Riedenschneider and signed the house over to him.
他说他的价码通常没那么低
He said he didn’t ordinarily work that cheap,
但是他明了他欠过我人情
But he figured he owed me something since the last one hadn’t played out.
你要怎么答辩?- 庭上 我们提出无罪请求
How do you now plead? – We plead not guilty, your honor.
我尝试告诉他故事的来龙去脉 但是雷因史耐德阻止我
I tried to tell him the whole story, but Riedenschneider stopped me.
他说这个故事伤透他的脑筋
He said the story made his head hurt.
不打算采用这个故事 以免我被判死刑
He didn’t see any way of using it without putting me on the hot seat…
老戴夫谋杀案 – 下星期一再审
For the murder of Big Dave. – Trial date is set for Monday a week.
他叫我别担心 说已经在想办法了
He told me not to worry, though. Said he’d think of something.
我被当作死囚全天候监控
They put me on 24-hour death watch,
他们说:这样我就无法 像我太太一样乱来了
So that I couldn’t cheat justice like they said my wife had done.
但是在陪审团面前 他们却把朵莉丝当圣人
But in front of the jury, they had it that Doris was a saint.
诡计都是我出的
The whole plan had been mine.
我透过催眠术强迫朵莉丝
I was a svengali who had forced Doris to join
参予我的犯罪事业
My criminal enterprise.
滔滔不绝
On and on it went,
说我利用朵莉丝 让她堕落
How I’d used Doris, then let her take the fall.
那个人遭殃了 因为一切即将水落石出了
That stuff smarted because some of it was close to being true.
接着轮到雷因史耐德上场了
And then it was Riedenschneider’s turn.
女士先生们 陪审团员 圣罗莎市民
Ladies and gentlemen, members of the jury, citizens of Santa Rosa,
刚刚听完律师慷慨激昂的陈词
We’ve just heard from the district attorney a rather lurid description…
描述一位十分卑劣的人
Of a truly despicable man.
我真是服了他 他正在故弄玄虚
I gotta hand it to him. He tossed a lot of sand in their eyes,
他谈论着我在天地之间如何的迷失
He talked about how I’d lost my place in the universe,
我实在太平凡不像犯罪的幕后黑手
How I was too ordinary to be the criminal mastermind…
不可能像检察官所陈述的
The D.A. made me out to be,
更大的阴谋正在进行着 情况还在扩散当中
How there was some greater scheme at work that the state had yet to unravel.
他还抛出一些真实题材 那些是当初处理朵莉丝案来不及用的
And he threw in some of the old truth stuff he hadn’t had the chance to trot out for Doris.
乍看之下情况就像现代艺术般迷乱
May at first look at these lines and see only the chaos of a work of modern art.
他要他们仔仔细细看着我
He told them to look at me, look at me close.
他们看得越仔细 越感到整个事件没什么道理
That the closer they looked, the less sense it would all make.
这个人 这个理发师
This human, this barber.
我不像是会杀人的人
That I wasn’t the kind of guy to kill a guy,
看在老天的份上 我不过是一个理发师
That I was the barber, for Christ’s sake.
我跟他们一样 只是凡人
I was just like them, an ordinary man.
活在这世界上的罪恶没我的份
Guilty of living in a world that had no place for me, yeah.
想当干洗业者的罪恶 有一点
Guilty of wanting to be a dry cleaner, sure.
并非是谋杀的罪恶
But not of murder.
非常明显地: 这些就是这位理发师的困境
But most specifically, this is a barber’s dilemma.
他是一位文明人
For he is modern man.
他说我是一个文明人
He said I was modern man.
他是你们的一面镜子
He is your reflection.
如果他们判我有罪
And if they voted to convict me,
根本就像自己在掐自己的脖子
They’d be practically cinching the noose around their own necks.
他要他们不只要看事实 也要探索事实的本质
He told them to look not at the facts, but at the meaning of the facts.
然后他又说所谓的事实 本质上就是虚妄的
And then he said the facts had no meaning.
演讲十分精采 连我都着迷了
It was a pretty good speech and even had me going,
直到法兰克打断了我
Until Frankie interrupted it.
你是怎样的一种人?
What kind of man are you?
你是怎样的一种人?
What kind of man are you?
庭上 审判无效
Move for a mistrial! Your honor!
你是怎样的一种人?
What kind of man are you?
审判无效
Move for a mistrial.
他争取到审判无效
Well, he got his mistrial, but the well had run dry.
但是井还是干了 可以抵押的东西已经用完了
There was nothing left to mortgage.
雷因史耐德回去了 法♥院♥则指派洛伊盖洛瓦
Riedenschneider went home, and the court appointed Lloyd Garroway,
他当庭求情
Who threw me on the mercy of the court.
庭上 我们认罪
Your honor, we plead guilty…
希望从轻量刑
With extenuating circumstances.
他说这是我唯一的机会
It was my only chance, he said.
我猜想这表示我已经没有机会了
I guess that meant I never had a chance.
他不采用文明人素材 或称为测不准素材
He wasn’t buying any of that modern man stuff, or the uncertainty stuff,
也不采用任何博取同情的素材
Or any of the mercy stuff either.
这个人是社会的祸害
This man is a menace to society.
否决 他要宣判了
Nope, he was going by the book,
判决书说上说:死刑
And the book said I got the chair.
褫夺公权终生
He has forfeited the right to his own life.
所以 现在我在此地
So here I am,
起先我真的搞不清楚 我是怎么进来这里的
At first I didn’t know how I got here.
当然 我一步一步去理出个头绪
I knew step by step, of course,
这一步一步就是我所讲的故事
Which is what I’ve told you, step by step.
无前例可循
But I couldn’t see any pattern.
现在 我快走到终点站了
Now that I’m near the end,
很高兴”男人杂♥志♥”杂♥志♥社 付钱买♥♥了这个故事
I’m glad that this men’s magazine paid me to tell my story.
把故事写下来帮助我厘清思绪
Writing it has helped me sort it all out.
一个字五分钱
They’re paying me flve cents a word,
所以请原谅我有时候会加油添醋
So you’ll pardon me if sometimes I’ve told you more than you wanted to know.
不过现在所有事情都连贯起来了
But now all the disconnected things seem to hook up.
其实还蛮可笑的
That’s the funny thing about going away,
知道自己的死期
Knowing the date you’re going to die.
“男人杂♥志♥”问我心得
And the men’s magazine wanted me to tell how that felt.
就像是从迷宫中脱身
Well, it’s like pulling away from the maze.
身处迷宫 你总是身不由己
While you’re in the maze, you go throught willy-nilly,
在你以为的转角处转弯
Turning where you think you have to turn,
闯入死胡同
Banging into the dead ends,
事件一件接着一件
One thing after another.
不过你总是保持着点距离
But you get some distance on it,
所有的转角跟拐弯处
And all those twists and turns…
就像是你人生的表象
Why, they’re the shape of your life.
很难解释
It’s hard to explain.
大体看起来却带给你平安
But seeing it whole gives you some peace.
“男人杂♥志♥”问我有关悔恨
The men’s magazine also asked about remorse.
带给别人痛苦我感到遗憾
Yeah, I guess I’m sorry about the pain I caused other people.
却没有事情让我感到后悔
But I don’t regret anything.
一件事情也没有
Not a thing.
会后悔的
I used to.
就是当理发师了
I used to regret being the barber.
我不知道会被带往何处
I don’t know where I’m being taken.
也不晓得升♥天♥过程有何遭遇
I don’t know what I’ll find beyond the earth and sky,
不过我并不害怕
But I’m not afraid to go.
也许我所不懂的事情 到那里就会一目了然了
Maybe the things I don’t understand will be clearer there,
就像迷雾散去一般
Like when a fog blows away.
朵莉丝也许也会在那里
Maybe Doris will be there.
也许会在那里听我诉说
And maybe there I can tell her…
这一切
All those things…
世间言语难以形容的这一切
They don’t have words for here.