but I took the liberty of doing some of your proofs myself.
只想让你看看 我们合作能获得些什么
Just to show you what together we can achieve.
你看
See?
你已经被出版了
You’ve been published.
哈代先生 谢谢您
Mr. Hardy, thank you!
谢谢您 先生
Thank you, sir!
今天我们能一起分享
It is with great pride that today all of us have shared
我儿子在伦敦数学学会
the publication of my son’s article
发表的文章 真是莫大的骄傲
in the London Mathematical Society.
真是件大好事 这个学会享誉盛名
Such a big thing. A very prestigious society.
看来他真是个天才啊
So how really is the little genius?
别理她
Don’t pay attention to her.
她对这些成就根本无动于衷
She’s not proud enough of his achievements. Huh?
拉马努金
Ramanujan?
醒醒吧 刚刚收到电报 要打仗了
Wake up. It just came over the wire. We’re at war.
– 这吗 – 不是啊 傻子 在比利时
– Here? – No, silly, Belgium.
快走 国王就要来了
Now, come on! The King’s arriving!
上帝保佑国王
God save the King!
该死的侵略者
Bloody jingoes.
伯蒂拜托过我
Bertie’s asked me to help him
帮他处理民♥主♥控制联盟之类的事
with his Union of Democratic Control or something.
已经开始收拢人心了吗
Hmm, agitating already?
我今天早上收到了一封陆军部的来信
Well, I received a letter from the War Office this morning.
他们在弹道学方面好像需要帮助
Seems they need some assistance with ballistics.
– 弹道学 你去帮忙 – 我知道
– Ballistics? You? – I know.
我试着解释过 但他们根本听不明白
I did try to explain, but they’re rather a dense lot.
– 是啊 – 总之 你应该不会想我的
– Yeah. – Anyway, you probably won’t miss me.
一直有一种说法
There’s an ongoing theory
说我是你编出来的人物
that I’m merely a figment of your imagination.
那是瞎说的
That’s not true.
拉马努金在外面
Ah, Ramanujan’s out there.
他不喜欢证明其实是有原因的
There’s a reason he doesn’t like proofs, you know.
因为证明很有可能和他的公式相悖
They may be disagreeable to his formulas.
上帝保佑国王
God save the King!
什么意思
How do you mean?
其实我对他的一些成果一直持保留意见
Well, I’ve been having some reservations about some of his work.
你之前怎么想的
Well, what did you expect?
他可能有异于常人的地方 但也不是神
He may belong to a world beyond us, but he’s not God.
那我就放心了
Well, that’s a relief.
他不是
He’s not.
现在贾纳姬要怎么过来
How will Janaki ever come now?
别担心 他们说圣诞节之前就会结束了
Don’t worry. They say it’ll be over by Christmas.
最后记得告诉他 我当然会去的
Please finish by telling him that, of course, I will come
也不要担心打仗的事 离这里还很远
and not to worry about the war. It is far away from here.
我会等他做出必要的安排
And that I will wait for him to make the necessary arrangements.
还有 我非常爱他
Also that I love him very much.
就这些
That is all.
在这里签个名
Make your mark here.
我了解你丈夫
I knew your husband.
但他一直待在寺庙里
But he spent all the time at the temple.
现在也一直在壁龛旁
He’s still there in the alcove.
妈妈
Amma?
妈妈 拜托您 把这个寄给他吧
Amma, please, would you post this for him?
我要让他知道 即使战争爆发我还是会去
He needs to know I will still come with the war.
妈妈 让我帮帮您吧
Amma, please let me help you.
蔬菜都去哪了
Where are all the vegetables?
拿去供给作战了
Rationing for the war.
再拿些这个 谢谢
And some… Thank you.
没有你的信
There is no letter for you.
能请您再看一下吗
Please, can you check again?
我已经看过了
I already looked again.
后面的人还在等
Now, you’re holding up the queue.
他妈妈忘了给他写信了
His mum forgot to write him.
看看这是谁 天才印度佬
Look who it is, the genius wog!
他锦衣玉食睡大觉的时候
Can you believe they send us off
我们要去打仗 你敢相信吗
while he kips here in luxury?
你要去哪啊
Where do you think you’re going?
你这个吃软饭的小黑鬼
You freeloading little blackie.
我跟你说话呢
I’m talking to you.
这是我们的地盘
This is our home.
你可别忘了
Don’t you forget it.
不惜任何代价的胜利
Victory at any price?
谁的胜利
Victory for whom?
我理解在战争时期
I understand it’s inevitable
拥护和平的人会被视为异类
that anybody primarily interested in peace
这是不可避免的
should be unpopular in a time of war.
但或许正是因此 我们才应该坚定信念
But perhaps that is all the more reason that we should exist.
没错
Hear, hear.
利特尔伍德先生在外出解决弹道学难题的时候
Mr. Littlewood has very kindly offered us his rooms
很慷慨地把自己的房♥间腾了出来
while he is away solving the intricacies of ballistics
其实他对弹道学根本一窍不通
for which he is so ill-suited.
所以恳请各位不要碰我的书
So please keep your hands off my books.
他指的是他收藏的威士忌
By that he means his whiskey collection.
真心感谢各位的光临
Thank you all very much for coming.
祝福你
Bless you.
非常感谢 感谢你们的光临
Thank you so much. Thank you for coming.
真是无理
Bloody cheek!
… 实在太快了 我们的处境实在太糟糕了
… were so fast and ours were in completely the wrong position.
这是什么意思
What is the meaning of this?
我本以为你会仔细考虑来不来找我们
I’d have thought you’d choose your battles more wisely.
毕竟 让拉马金留在这里
After all, it’s only the goodwill of the college
也只是学校出于好意
that allows Ramujin here.
民♥主♥管理联盟和拉马努金有什么关系啊
What the bloody hell does the UDC have to do with Ramanujan?
你应该知道你朋友
You should know that your friend,
罗素 因为他发的那些传♥单♥
Russell, is going to lose his lectureship
就快丢掉讲师的职位了
as a result of the leaflets he’s been distributing.
我们听说还有别的人干了这事
We have heard that others are doing the same.
你是在恐吓我吗
Are you threatening me?
因为你现在的情况很危险
Mr. Howard is simply trying to enlighten you
霍华德先生只是想提醒你一下
as to the precariousness of your situation.
你完全有自♥由♥
You are perfectly at liberty to take
把这件事交给学院委员会
the matter to the College Council.
放心吧 我肯定会的 我是有原则的
Well, rest assured, I shall, on principle.
你这话要是让你那些法国
Well, that’s a rather dangerous word,
自♥由♥主义的同事听到了 就太危险了
with all your liberal colleagues in France.
改改吧 哈代 那不就是你想要的么
Change, Hardy. That’s what you wanted.
你现在要慢慢适应了
Now you get used to it.
利特尔伍德先生来的信 先生
From Mr. Littlewood, sir.
恕我冒昧 他去前线太不合适了
If I may, he’s so misplaced on a battlefield,
他可不是打仗的料
I shouldn’t think a bullet would recognize him as a target.
去你的吧 利特尔伍德.
Damn you, Littlewood.
亲爱的哈罗德
My dear Harold,
请原谅我这个私人的过失
please forgive this personal transgression.
我现在要去那个糟糕的战场了
I’m gone now to this god-awful war
我完全不知道 自己还能不能活着回去
and haven’t the faintest idea if I will ever return.
幸运的是 不像你 我还可以向上帝寻求慰藉
Fortunately, unlike you, I do have God to take comfort in.
我有两件事情要说
I have two points to make.
第一 拉马努金的质数定理
The first is that Ramanujan’s work on primes,
虽然很惊艳 但实际上是错的
while brilliant in itself, is actually wrong.
另一件事比较难说清楚
The other point is less straightforward.
拉马努金的存在不亚于一个奇迹
You have in Ramanujan nothing short of a miracle.
他的才华已经
The man exceeds any notion of brilliance
超乎了我的想象
that I have ever understood.
不要说雅克比了 他甚至能比得上牛顿
Forget Jacobi, we can compare him with Newton.
我现在开始相信
I have come to believe
对于拉马努金 每一个正整数
that for Ramanujan, every single positive integer
都是他的一个好朋友
is one of his personal friends.
因此为了成功 你也有责任
And, to that end, you, too, have a responsibility.
你必须好好照看他
You have to look after him
确保他的成果能被世人所知
and make sure that his work amounts to something.
不要输给霍华德那一伙人