无数个探索者
in the pursuit of absolute perfection.
我们不是发明了这些公式
We do not invent these formulae,
因为它们本身就存在
they already exist
只是在等着那些
and lie in wait for only the very
拉马努金之类的人 拥有无尽的智慧
brightest of minds, like Ramanujan,
来猜想和求证它们
ever to divine and prove.
因此 最后
So, in the end,
我不禁在想
I have been forced to consider,
我们凭什么去质疑拉马努金
who are we to question Ramanujan,
更别说质疑神了
let alone God?
谢谢大家
Thank you.
这个骗子浪费我们的时间已经够糟的了
It’s bad enough that this charlatan has wasted our time once.
哈代还把世上唯一支持他的人
And now Hardy has dragged the only person in the world
从战壕里拖了过来
who will support him out of the trenches.
够了 别再理会这个… 拉马金了
No, enough is enough with this… this Ramujin.
不是只有利特尔伍德
Littlewood is not the only one.
我认为 他是我一生中见过的最为聪明的人
I think he has the finest mind I’ve seen in my lifetime.
还有 他的名字叫拉马努金
And his name is Ramanujan.
哈代
Hardy?
我是皇家学会院士了
I’m a Fellow of the Royal Society.
他给我写信了
He wrote to me.
贾纳姬
Janaki.
如果你去了他那里
If you had gone to him,
他就永远不会回来了
he would never return.
你真的要回去吗
Are you really gonna go home?
战争结束了 是时候了
War is over. It is time.
成为一名皇家学会院士
Well, as a Fellow of the Royal Society,
他们一定特别为你自豪
they’re gonna be really proud of you.
– 我太感谢您了 – 不必
– I owe you so much. – No, no, no.
要感谢的是我
It’s I who owe you.
来 走草地 你要来不及了
Come on. Come on the grass. You’re late.
不行 先生 我还不是这里的院士
But, sir, I can’t. I’m not a Fellow over here.
你确定吗
Are you sure about that?
对于一名皇家学会院士 他们还能说什么
Well, as an FRS, what could they say?
跟着我读
Repeat after me.
“本人 斯里尼瓦瑟·拉马努金
“I, Srinivasa Ramanujan,
被选为三一学院的院士…”
elected Fellow of Trinity College…”
本人 斯里尼瓦瑟·拉马努金
I, Srinivasa Ramanujan,
被评选为圣三一学院的院士
elected Fellow of Trinity College.
对不起我来迟了 该死的出租司机迷路了
Sorry I’m late. Bloody cab driver got lost.
看那车牌号♥就知道不好
Should have known from his number.
多少
And what was that?
那数字太蠢了
Rather a dull one.
1729.
不 哈代
No, Hardy.
这号♥码很有趣
It is a very interesting number.
它是在可以用两个立方之和来表达
It is the smallest number expressible
且有两种表达方法的数中 1729是最小的
as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.
你通知家人了吗
Have you notified your family?
没通知她
Just not her.
我都不知道她是否收得到信
I don’t even know if she got my letter.
我… 我对这类事一直一窍不通
I… I… I’m rather out of my depth in such affairs, but…
但还是想说
But I will say this.
感情这种事 既没有证明
There are no proofs nor underlying laws
也没有定律来左右它的结果
that can determine the outcome of matters of the heart.
这点我能确定
Of this I’m sure.
也许我们再次相聚时
Perhaps when we meet again
你会拥有自己的一段感情
you will have such matters of your own.
也许吧
Well, perhaps.
我会想你的 我的朋友
I will miss you, my friend.
我也会想你的
I will miss you.
每周要给我写一封信 汇报你的新成果
So, I want a letter with you with all your new work, every week.
一年后要回来找我们
And come back to us in a year’s time.
我保证
I promise.
下午的邮件 先生
Afternoon post, sir.
谢谢
Thank you.
印度来的
India.
总算来了
At last.
他要回来了吗 先生
Is he coming back, sir?
用语言是难以表达
It is difficult to put into words…
我对拉马努金的
What I owe
感谢的
Ramanujan.
从我第一次见到他起 他的独创性一直是
His originality has been a constant source of suggestion to me
启发我的源泉
ever since I first met him.
他的去世
And his death
是我所经历过最为沉痛的打击
is one of the worst blows I have ever felt.
但在悲痛之余 在我发现自己
But now I say to myself when I’m depressed,
不得不听闻那些
and I find myself forced to listen
烦人自大的言论时 我对自己说
to tiresome and pompous people,
“我做了一些你们永远做不到的事
“Well, I’ve done something you could never have done.
我和利特尔伍德以及拉马努金
I have collaborated with both Littlewood and Ramanujan
共同平等地进行了合作”
on something like equal terms.”
我们坐这辆
Let’s take this one.
什么
What?
1729.
这辆车有什么特别的
I don’t see what’s so special about this one.
一开始我也不懂
Neither did I at first.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!